• 82 results
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By TomA

Ya, Americans are pretty fucking stupid.

Vigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Vigil
@TomA said:
" Ya, Americans are pretty fucking stupid. "
So you'll judge an entire country based on a religion which not everyone follows?
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By calidan777

You people do realize that this is an American website made by Americans right? You should maybe consider that before bashing us. Besides, I have yet to see one shred of evidence that proves any form of human evolution. In all the thousands of years since we have been keeping history records we are still the same genetically.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#54  Edited By AgentJ
@Scooper said:
"  "It is unbelievable to us that this is still a really hot potato in America. There's still a great belief that He made the world in six days. It's quite difficult for we in the UK to imagine religion in America. We live in a country which is no longer so religious. But in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules."  I agree with this. You'd think the most powerful nation on the Earth would have more sence then founding their nation on old stories.  " The film has sparked fierce debate on US Christian websites, with a typical comment dismissing evolution as "a silly theory with a serious lack of evidence to support it despite over a century of trying"".    Typical religious ignorance here. Darwin's theory has been prooven by advanced cell theory. "
Don't forget Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, and...well, that's about it. 

The Da Vinci Code was a work of fiction, and even that was boycotted by the christian community as some sort of Sacrilidge or something. It's so amazingly ridiculous
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Damian
@creamypies said:
" ... surely films like The Exorcist are far more insulting to Christianity than this? "
I imagine the opposite is true. At least at the church level. Movies like The Exorcist seem to instill the fear of God, which is of course good for churches. I know completely non-religious people who, as children, began praying nightly after that movie. 

As to how this relates to America vs. UK ... WTF? I ain't even American, nor do I make it a habit to defend ignorance. But this is not true censorship. This is business. If I wrote this topic, I'd call it "This article (and subject) is why I'm glad I'm not a businessman". 

Also, England has actually banned video games. America on the other hand has not.
FrostyHerpiez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By FrostyHerpiez

hmmmm i live in new york and for the most part religion isnt the most popular thing.. all though what the article says is true outside new york and LA religion is very held tight i dont really believe thats the reason  why they cant distribute it ANYWHERE in america. although iv never seen the film ( if its as good as it boasts then i will someday) i feel theres more then meets the eye to this article
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By AhmadMetallic

my views are that America is the most messed up country and nation and i enjoy sitting on my ass overseas and watching this fucked up shit go on.. 

radium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By radium

Dear god let's circle jerk some more, that'll make good conversation. Most of the stuff in this thread is as bad as this could every be. I'm religious but I believe in evolution do I get a prize? I'll be the first to get annoyed at a intolerant and often unwilling to even listen to argument, christian but from what I've seen here at least, non-religious people are exactly the same if not worse.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#59  Edited By jonnyboy

It's not often we have a chance to be smug. So I'm gonna take it. 

PS. Don't get bent out of shape, it's just for fun.
Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Gruff182

[The film has sparked fierce debate on US Christian websites, with a typical comment dismissing evolution as "a silly theory with a serious lack of evidence to support it despite over a century of trying".]

Yes. Where as we all know God is real because of the  ...um  ...uhhh ...things ...and ...um ...stuff.

I choose to blame inbreeding.

jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By jim_dandy

I don't think this is a case of religious persecution against Charles Darwin.

I think it's more of a "what kind of red-blooded American would want to watch this boring-ass movie about science?!"

Which is bullshit thinking because I, an American, would gladly pirate this movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Don't forget that the USA are a young country, so it's understandable they can't handle the whole religion thing properly yet. It took hundreds of years for Central Europe to get a somewhat solid grip on the concept of secularism, America just isn't there yet.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#63  Edited By AgentJ
@atomic_dumpling said:
" Don't forget that the USA are a young country, so it's understandable they can't handle the whole religion thing properly yet. It took hundreds of years for Central Europe to get a somewhat solid grip on the concept of secularism, America just isn't there yet. "
That's an interesting perspective. I've never really thought of it that way, but it does make some sense. 
lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#64  Edited By lucas_kelly

It really does anger me just how ignorant some people are.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By kashif1
@Br3adfan said:
" Religious people are always hating on something that threatens their beliefs or encourages independent thinking. "
hey im religious, admittedly muslim, but religious nonetheless.  don't group us all together
Alex_Murphy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Alex_Murphy

I'm surprised no film studios at least picked it up for a limited release. They had that Religulous movie, and books like 'The God Delusion' and 'God is Not Great' have been on the NY Times best seller lists, so I don't know why they think nobody would go see this movie. I also find it hard to believe that only 39% of people believe in evolution. This seriously makes me want to get that picture of a monkey turning into a man painted on the side of a van and go drive around the bible belt.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#67  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Damian said:
" @creamypies said:
" ... surely films like The Exorcist are far more insulting to Christianity than this? "
I imagine the opposite is true. At least at the church level. Movies like The Exorcist seem to instill the fear of God, which is of course good for churches. I know completely non-religious people who, as children, began praying nightly after that movie.  As to how this relates to America vs. UK ... WTF? I ain't even American, nor do I make it a habit to defend ignorance. But this is not true censorship. This is business. If I wrote this topic, I'd call it "This article (and subject) is why I'm glad I'm not a businessman".  Also, England has actually banned video games. America on the other hand has not. "
True, but the banning of a videogame is alot more understandable due to the level of interactivity. You watch a Saw film, and you're watching someone else subject people to these horrific things. Whereas, if you then go play a game like Manhunt... you yourself are the one making the decision of what, when, how and why you are going to commit these same things.

But the point here is, there is nothing in this Darwin film that is offensive in any way. It's just showing the life of one of the most noteworthy people in recent history. I don't see how this can be banned and something like Ted Bundy can be allowed out? Surely the latter conveys much more upsetting material than the Darwin film.

I think the banning of either medium in MOST circumstances is utterly ridiculous. Surely, that's why age ratings exist... right?
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Scooper
@creamypies said:
" @Damian said:
" @creamypies said:
I imagine the opposite is true. At least at the church level. Movies like The Exorcist seem to instill the fear of God, which is of course good for churches. I know completely non-religious people who, as children, began praying nightly after that movie.  As to how this relates to America vs. UK ... WTF? I ain't even American, nor do I make it a habit to defend ignorance. But this is not true censorship. This is business. If I wrote this topic, I'd call it "This article (and subject) is why I'm glad I'm not a businessman".  Also, England has actually banned video games. America on the other hand has not. "
True, but the banning of a videogame is alot more understandable due to the level of interactivity. You watch a Saw film, and you're watching someone else subject people to these horrific things. Whereas, if you then go play a game like Manhunt... you yourself are the one making the decision of what, when, how and why you are going to commit these same things. But the point here is, there is nothing in this Darwin film that is offensive in any way. It's just showing the life of one of the most noteworthy people in recent history. I don't see how this can be banned and something like Ted Bundy can be allowed out? Surely the latter conveys much more upsetting material than the Darwin film. I think the banning of either medium in MOST circumstances is utterly ridiculous. Surely, that's why age ratings exist... right? "
Unfortunantly there's no universal age where people stop becoming planks. There should be a sheep rating that says "If you play this game where you put a plastic bag over someone's head are you going to do that in real life because you're in idiot" If the answer is yes you can't have the game or watch horror movies because you're a peanut.

I could watch a movie all day where it shows horrendous torture with great special effects that makes it seem real and I can laugh at it and then forget about the movie because I know it's fiction and made in a studio. If I was subjected to seeing people actualy tortured, even if it looked the same since special effects are good nowerdays, you'd know it was real, even if it was shot in the same way, becuase real screams would haunt you and you wouldn't be able to forget them. Now if you watched real torture movies or beheadings and laughed about that then maybe you're the sort of person to do those things yourself but you should never think "It's ok I chopped the legs off my dawg, the game done it so it's ok for me to e-huh-huh!". These people are too stupid to live in society and should be taught what fiction is and that sometimes you're not allowed to do it.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#69  Edited By breadfan
@kashif1 said:
" @Br3adfan said:
" Religious people are always hating on something that threatens their beliefs or encourages independent thinking. "
hey im religious, admittedly muslim, but religious nonetheless.  don't group us all together "
Obviously you did not read the post right after that where I clearified my original comment.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#70  Edited By oldschool

I remember as a teenager, having to push past religious protesters in the 70s, so I could see Monty Python and The Life of Brian.  That wasn't America.  Relgious ignorance and intolerance seeme more prevalent in the USA though.  Polls conducted have shown that AMericans will not vote (enough) for a President  who is an atheist, an adulterer yes, as long as he believes in god. 

I am still amused by the fact that the movie The Madness of King George (III) did not have the use of the III because it would confuse Americans, having not seen George I and George II.  Although the story is exaggerated with time, it is born in truth.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ahriman22

Hello, it's the US after all. What do you expect?

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Videogames

It just looks like a boring movie honestly. I would much rather watch Religilous, and that has to be way more controversial than this, and even that was played across the U.S.

Maybe it's just a shitty movie.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By SSValis

also bill maher's movies was good but not controversial 

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Druminator

Religion is the downfall of humanity. It's gotten us nowhere yet it's still going strong. Glad I realized this at an early age. I can't imagine being 50 and still believing that silly stuff.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#75  Edited By citizenkane

Well that sucks.  I was looking forward to this movie.  Looks like I will have to import it.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#76  Edited By super_machine

I'll bet you 100 pounds that if the movie had Jesus winning a "no holds bared cage match" against Charles Darwin, we would see that movie go state side.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Dozens upon dozens of movies 50 times more controversial than that Darwin bio get released yearly here.  
It's a financial decision. They're not picking it up because they don't think they can make a profit off of it. It has nothing to do with some nutty religious blockade preventing the movie from being picked up - if any major distributor thought they could turn a dime on it they'd grab it in a second. Those silly Christian websites complain about everything - they have no bearing on what is released here.... that's not how the movie industry works in the US. The majority of people here are religious and evolution is still a touchy subject (which is a shame) but those niche religious groups in no way determine what movies see widespread release - dollars and cents do. Hardcore Christians protest each and every installment of the Harry Potter movies (due to their promotion of witchcraft or some such nonsense,) do you think those protests cause Warner Bros. to think twice about distributing the films? Not for a fraction of a second. 
Bill Maher just released a movie that centered around him ridiculing all mainstream religions for about an hour and a half into widespread release. 
Getting released isn't the problem - finding the audience is. If this movie isn't released here it won't be because of fear of a religious backlash, it will be because of fear of not finding an audience (wasting all of the money spent purchasing the rights, marketing, and distributing it.)

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Damian
@creamypies: I could build a tall wall of text right here about how much the systematic censorship in my continent (North America) pisses me off. How businesses like Wallmart dictate what we digest, and how all that results in a (seemingly intelligent) film about Darwin getting the shaft in a country that could use an even-handed discussion on the matter. But I still don't see how literally banning content is better than business men passing on a movie that statistically doesn't have a chance in hell (/the states). 
I just don't like the title of the post, and how crapped on the US gets during these discussions. This is not a reason to feel superior to another person from another land. Certainly not if you're from a country that banned Carmageddon

I'm from the city that originally screened the movie in question, and that makes me glad in a way but I don't feel like shouting from the rooftops how my town and country is better than another.
Patriotism is just as ignorant as religious fundamentalism.
cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#79  Edited By cinemandrew

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0974014/

The release date is September 25th of this year. So I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they had only recently started shopping around for distributors. It sounds to me like they're having trouble finding a distributor, and trying to push all the blame on religion. A film like this is a hard sell even if it's devoid of religious controversy. I'm sure it's a great film, but it's not going to break any box office records. I think it's a little silly for anyone involved with the film trying to claim that they can't find a distributor because we're too religious over here, and we won't allow it. Now, I'm sure there are some distributors who feel that way, but it'd be hard not to find a distributor in Hollywood who's ok with Darwin.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin
@Damian said:
" @creamypies: I could build a tall wall of text right here about how much the systematic censorship in my continent (North America) pisses me off.  "
A business choosing not to invest in a product that is believed will, in the end, amount to a loss has nothing at all to do with censorship. 

The chance of the government passing legislation against the release of this Darwin movie is 0%. This movie will not be "censored." 
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Gizmo

Gah, every time I see something like this a little part of me dies.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Toxin066

Would you really want to go see a move about Charles Darwin? Fifteen bucks (ticket, popcorn, coke) for a flic about a guy on a ship going around the world looking at animals?

ImHungryx10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By ImHungryx10

Sorority Row is a decent movie to show to American's though. Darwin is too much for us, but when it comes to hot girls gettin' murdered, bring it on!

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#84  Edited By buzz_killington

Hahaha, them Yankees never change...