Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Apparently not.

If you look over the forum topics and see what people are talking about, more often than not they are talking about religion or politics or whether or not some people who have never met you think you should dye your hair. Honestly, there's more relevant things we could be wasting our invaluable hours on while on Giant Bomb. Such as, Spore coming out in four days. It's not even a lack of relevant threads, either. A lot of game related threads get pushed off the front page while "Sarah Palin's Skank Daughter gets knocked up OMG!" remains on the front. Honestly? If you want to talk about politics, get into politics. If you want to talk about religion, find a preacher or monk or something. Or, talk amongst your FRIENDS, not random people online. What is accomplished when you do that? Jack shit, sorry to say. People don't care about what you're listening to, people don't care about what you think about Bush, but everyone thinks everyone else does. To put it simply, you're a drop in the ocean with opinions everyone has heard before on a VIDEO GAME FORUM.

We already have an off topic mega thread, go there. Keep it all in one place, and keep the airwaves clear for when relevant stuff is released.

MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MerlijnVH

I agree up to a certain point. There's strangely a lot of activity in the off-topic forum and general discussion forums about issues totally non-related to videogames. Then again, people are free to write about what they want and there aren't that many forum rules established as to what people can talk about and what not.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Are you speaking of off-topic or the fact that sometimes in general discussion topics are created that should go in the off-topic area?

I think the mods are pretty quick to move things to their appropriate forums. Also, I don't know if they just moved it but the thread you mentioned about Sarah Palin is in the Off-Topic forum.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This website has nothing to do with video games.

Everything to do with current events. 

MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MerlijnVH
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"This website has nothing to do with video games.

Everything to do with current events. "
Current events about videogames.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The point of what I said has completely flown over your head, brukaoru.

My question is: Why is Off-Topic so damn busy while no one posts on game-related threads?

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz
Arkthemaniac said:
"The point of what I said has completely flown over your head, brukaoru.

My question is: Why is Off-Topic so damn busy while no one posts on game-related threads?"
It boggles the moderation teams mind aswell as to why people come here to talk about OT subjects and not post in the gaming related boards.

Also moved this to OT since General Discussion is mean't to be about games. And this topic is best suited for Off Topic.
kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By kush

This is a gaming website, but the Off-Topic thread is quite popular here and when you just look at the latest posts section you're going to see a lot of that stuff. Also, the past few days have been a little... ...crazy.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Clean

I feel like Giant Bomb is dying. : (

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
Clean said:
"I feel like Giant Bomb is dying. : ("
i do to a little 
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arkthemaniac
BestUsernameEver said:
I dont see a lack in posting about Video games, in fact, I'd like to see more politics in these forums

Why do you want to see more politics? I want to talk about video games, but there's never any great threads on them, while politics run rampant, with at least three threads that I've participated in. That's more than enough. I'm not saying that a little off-topic chatter is a terrible thing, but there's too much. At four in the morning, a topic posting the Garbage Day video is fine because no one cares about anything reasonable at that point. That stuff in the middle of the day is obtrusive.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Hamz said:
"Arkthemaniac said:

My question is: Why is Off-Topic so damn busy while no one posts on game-related threads?"
It boggles the moderation teams mind aswell as to why people come here to talk about OT subjects and not post in the gaming related boards.

Also moved this to OT since General Discussion is mean't to be about games. And this topic is best suited for Off Topic."
That's madly ironic and hilarious to me. Well done.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By brukaoru
Arkthemaniac said:

Sorry but your last sentence confused me, I thought you meant off topic threads were being created in the other forums.

It's weird, but I guess people think they relate more to gamers, talking about off topic things then if they went somewhere that didn't have any gamers... I don't know. It is pretty strange.
godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By godzilla_sushi
Arkthemaniac said:
"Apparently not.

If you look over the forum topics and see what people are talking about, more often than not they are talking about religion or politics or whether or not some people who have never met you think you should dye your hair. Honestly, there's more relevant things we could be wasting our invaluable hours on while on Giant Bomb. Such as, Spore coming out in four days. It's not even a lack of relevant threads, either. A lot of game related threads get pushed off the front page while "Sarah Palin's Skank Daughter gets knocked up OMG!" remains on the front. Honestly? If you want to talk about politics, get into politics. If you want to talk about religion, find a preacher or monk or something. Or, talk amongst your FRIENDS, not random people online. What is accomplished when you do that? Jack shit, sorry to say. People don't care about what you're listening to, people don't care about what you think about Bush, but everyone thinks everyone else does. To put it simply, you're a drop in the ocean with opinions everyone has heard before on a VIDEO GAME FORUM.

We already have an off topic mega thread, go there. Keep it all in one place, and keep the airwaves clear for when relevant stuff is released."
I've seen a lot of your posts, your so negative man!

For what it's worth, this thread just contributed to thread city. People do care....they just don't post in every thread. I mean, I've read tons of stuff on these forums unrelated to video games and there is some good discussion there! I think they call it a community.

Unless your issue is with duplicate threads, I don't see the problem. Is this a duplicate thread itself?!
MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MerlijnVH
Clean said:
"I feel like Giant Bomb is dying. : ("
It just needs more time I think. The site hasn't been online for that long, I believe in the next few months a lot of users will decide to stay or leave, in the meantime new users will keep coming in. The more users who stay will find their place on the forum. Lets just hope their chosen forums aren't the off-topic sections then, anyway.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Karl_Boss

Because a lot of people that are here were frequent posters at Gamespot's OT.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Black_Rose

Off topic forums are always more popular

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_

Off Topic is more popular because nothing remotely interesting has happened to the industry. There's a lull.

MerlijnVH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MerlijnVH
Arkthemaniac said:
I'll just answer the question and not ask about the strange occurrence that has happened above me.

Why do you want to see more politics? I want to talk about video games, but there's never any great threads on them, while politics run rampant, with at least three threads that I've participated in. That's more than enough. I'm not saying that a little off-topic chatter is a terrible thing, but there's too much. At four in the morning, a topic posting the Garbage Day video is fine because no one cares about anything reasonable at that point. That stuff in the middle of the day is obtrusive."
Could you please edit out that quote from your post? Just making sure you know that user "BestUserNameEver"quoted and altered the contents of my post, something which I despise and definitely did not say or support.
In fact, the whole politics thing on forums really annoys me personally. I live in Belgium, Europe. I'm pretty sure there are more Europeans on this forum like me, who don't really care about America's politics.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing that, Arkthemaniac. :)
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Godzilla_Sushi said:
"I've seen a lot of your posts, your so negative man!

For what it's worth, this thread just contributed to thread city. People do care....they just don't post in every thread. I mean, I've read tons of stuff on these forums unrelated to video games and there is some good discussion there! I think they call it a community.

Unless your issue is with duplicate threads, I don't see the problem. Is this a duplicate thread itself?!"
I've become cynical in my young age, I know.

However, my choir teacher once brought up a great point to me, which I will relay to you. We were learning basic music theory and breathing techniques when our concert was a few weeks away, and we weren't very learned on the material. One of the kids in choir said, "Why are we wasting our time on this when we could be practicing?" My choir teacher said, "I have to teach you to sing right before we learn material." He eventually caved, we practiced, went on stage, flailed, and bombed.

This thread is to bring an issue to the attention of the masses. If there were not thread, people wouldn't bother, because it isn't being talked about. It may seemingly add to the problem now, but in time, if people heed my word, the forums will be better off.

Also, I like to call myself a logical being. How could you not be cynical in this world if you base your thoughts off of logic?

Also, Merlijn, I fixed the above post. Sorry bout that.
godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By godzilla_sushi
Arkthemaniac said:
"Godzilla_Sushi said:
"I've seen a lot of your posts, your so negative man!

Unless your issue is with duplicate threads, I don't see the problem. Is this a duplicate thread itself?!"
I've become cynical in my young age, I know.

However, my choir teacher once brought up a great point to me, which I will relay to you. We were learning basic music theory and breathing techniques when our concert was a few weeks away, and we weren't very learned on the material. One of the kids in choir said, "Why are we wasting our time on this when we could be practicing?" My choir teacher said, "I have to teach you to sing right before we learn material." He eventually caved, we practiced, went on stage, flailed, and bombed.

This thread is to bring an issue to the attention of the masses. If there were not thread, people wouldn't bother, because it isn't being talked about. It may seemingly add to the problem now, but in time, if people heed my word, the forums will be better off.

Also, I like to call myself a logical being. How could you not be cynical in this world if you base your thoughts off of logic?"
You don't have to look at it in such a sterile way though.

Like, an internet video game forum, does it really need to be black and white? Maybe they should consider two central forums, one for OT and the other for games. But still, that's not much fun if everything is a video game and every post analyzes or critiques them. Then nobody will read it besides people like you and I.

Believe me, I know exactly what your getting at. I just think your taking it all too seriously. Music classes....that's a first.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Godzilla_Sushi said:
"You don't have to look at it in such a sterile way though.

Like, an internet video game forum, does it really need to be black and white? Maybe they should consider two central forums, one for OT and the other for games. But still, that's not much fun if everything is a video game and every post analyzes or critiques them. Then nobody will read it besides people like you and I.

Believe me, I know exactly what your getting at. I just think your taking it all too seriously. Music classes....that's a first."
Music classes a first.......what?

You can make posts related to video games without being about a game in particular or a review. Such as, who's the best villain ever? Blue or Red: Which is better for a protagonist? You could have some interesting topics, more interesting than what we have now.
godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Oh, never got a response like that before. With the whole story there. ;)

Well, look, a music thread can start out about one thing and end up being a great retrospective on anything else. Best villain ever? Sure!

Some nice variety there. My point is that it's good to have it all in an online community. OT or not. Like I said, I get it. But forums need it all. As crazy as it's been lately, I'm sure it will filter itself out. I hope so at least.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jayge_
Arkthemaniac said:
"Godzilla_Sushi said:
"You don't have to look at it in such a sterile way though.

Believe me, I know exactly what your getting at. I just think your taking it all too seriously. Music classes....that's a first."
Music classes a first.......what?

You can make posts related to video games without being about a game in particular or a review. Such as, who's the best villain ever? Blue or Red: Which is better for a protagonist? You could have some interesting topics, more interesting than what we have now."
Maybe you seem to have missed the existence of the "General Discussion" video-game centric forum.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Jayge said:
"Maybe you seem to have missed the existence of the "General Discussion" video-game centric forum."
Why does Off Topic have more posts than General Discussion is what I'm getting at.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Off Topic isn't a games forum, no. Hence "Off Topic."

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jayge_
Arkthemaniac said:
"Jayge said:
"Maybe you seem to have missed the existence of the "General Discussion" video-game centric forum."
Why does Off Topic have more posts than General Discussion is what I'm getting at."
The same reason OT forums have more posts than game forums on almost every other forum in existence. Many more spectrums of topics to discuss.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Jayge said:
"The same reason OT forums have more posts than game forums on almost every other forum in existence. Many more spectrums of topics to discuss."
Why discuss them here? Also, why does Giant Bomb have to be like every other site? They sure as hell aren't in regards to their reviews.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jayge_
Arkthemaniac said:
"Jayge said:
"The same reason OT forums have more posts than game forums on almost every other forum in existence. Many more spectrums of topics to discuss."
Why discuss them here? Also, why does Giant Bomb have to be like every other site? They sure as hell aren't in regards to their reviews."
Because this is a place full of friends and enemies with which to share opinions and debate, much like we are in this very thread. It doesn't *have* to be like every other site, but most people don't care about which forum has more posts.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Black_Rose
Arkthemaniac said:
"Jayge said:
Why discuss them here? Also, why does Giant Bomb have to be like every other site? They sure as hell aren't in regards to their reviews."
You haven't been to many gaming sites have you?
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Black_Rose said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Jayge said:
You haven't been to many gaming sites have you?"
WHY COMPARE THIS SITE TO ALL THE OTHERS!?!?!
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jayge_

WHY THE BLOODY FECKLESS QUEEN OF ENGLAND NOT?

o.o

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Black_Rose
Arkthemaniac said:
"WHY COMPARE THIS SITE TO ALL THE OTHERS!?!?!"
How not to? they review games, make previews, have forums...it's just more fun but it's not completely different
godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By godzilla_sushi
Arkthemaniac said:
"Black_Rose said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"Jayge said:
You haven't been to many gaming sites have you?"
WHY COMPARE THIS SITE TO ALL THE OTHERS!?!?!"
The audience is the same across them all.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By Lies

And actually, there isn't an OT megathread anymore :( Mods locked it. Made us sad.

But anyways, people like talking about lots of things besides videogames, and off-topic is the place to do it. There's plenty of talk about videogames, it's just there's plenty more topics that aren't related to videogames. We're a chatty bunch, we'll talk about anything of interest, and more often than not, it turns out that the interesting topics aren't always related to videogames.

If you're not such a fan of the OT forum, then just visit in the general discussion area, which is solely about videogames, and still plenty active.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By brukaoru

WHY DOES THIS FORUM HAVE TO BE ONLY ABOUT GAMES?

Talking about games only gets boring! Not every day is exciting for gaming news! Gamers like talking to other gamers about other subjects because it's more comfortable to talk about others who share your interests!

RAWR.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

that rawr was unnecessary ^.^ 

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Black_Rose

I'm with Bru.

RAWR!!!!!!!!!!

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By brukaoru
ZombieHunter said:
"that rawr was unnecessary ^.^ "
I'm sorry. I got angry...

Here's something more mellow:

Meow.
ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

that made me think of the scene from super troopers darn you Bru 

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

brukaoru said:
"ZombieHunter said:

Meow."
You could always just bare your teeth.
godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By godzilla_sushi
Sir_Ragnarok said:
"brukaoru said:
"ZombieHunter said:

Meow."
You could always just bare your teeth."
Oh go start the "pets" thread already, geeze.

;)
SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
Hamz said:
"Arkthemaniac said:

I would really like to see one of the following happen:

1) We are given an option to have off-topic posts not appear on the main forum page.  To see what is posted there you would actually have to enter the off-topic forum.
2) Same as above, but it's not an option.  Off-topic posts never appear on the main forum page, and you have actually enter off-topic to see what is being posted there.
3) The Off-topic forum is killed off entirely.  This is a video game website, and you should be talking about video games, dammit. 

My personal choice would be option 2, but I really think something needs to be done to help encourage actually talking about video games on this video game forum.
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Player1

Your right, we need to discuss games more. It is off topic though. So I guess you are allowed to talk about anything. 

You can go to a specifics games page, to talk about it. But good luck actually getting post there. The best chance you have is hoping someone on newest topics sees it. 
Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Black_Raven

This is "OFF TOPIC" Thats why games are hardly ever talked about, because that would be on topic

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
Black_Raven said:
"This is "OFF TOPIC" Thats why games are hardly ever talked about, because that would be on topic"
Is that a failed attempt at humor, or do you really not understand we're talking about the site as a whole?  There's a reason this thread was originally posted in general discussion.
DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DualReaver

Giantbomb! It's a site about videogames.

Giantbomb dot com!
Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Virago
Arkthemaniac said:
"Apparently not.

We already have an off topic mega thread, go there. Keep it all in one place, and keep the airwaves clear for when relevant stuff is released."
wannabe mod much?
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By oldschool

I personally find that most OT subjects bore me as they usually become a pissing contest to see who can say the most outrageous things.  This site seems better than some I go to though.  I really hate meaningless 2 word posts that usually contain chat speak.  However, you can just ignore OT threads and focus on the game related ones, and occasionally go into an OT thread that peaks your interest.  Not really worth busting an organ over.

You could also help keep OT down by going to the 2nd and 3rd pages and keeping the game ones alive with a post.

Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ma7moud

I agree with the TC most of the topic created aren't about video games even topics about video games dies after 2-10 posts  which really disappoints me and one of the things I hate about the site. So Spore one of the biggest games coming out this year comes out in 3 days and yet there isn't any Topic on the newest topics page talking about about it with the exception of 'Pirates won over EA' one with 10 replies only.