• 61 results
#1 Edited by Deathstriker (1025 posts) -

With Iron Fist and Luke Cage both getting cancelled in the last week or so, I've seen a lot of theories online. Some people seem to think Netflix and Marvel are ending them together since Disney is soon going to want all of its content on its streaming service, others seems to think a team-up series between the two might be coming, or maybe it was a mixture of low ratings and reviews. I'm not sure if the "popular now" row on Netflix actually means anything, but I always see Luke Cage in it, even today after its been cancelled.

If it was based on quality/ratings then Jessica Jones should probably go before Luke, since JJ season 2 was pretty awful (worse than every Marvel Netflix shows besides Iron Fist season one). It is annoying since Luke Cage and Iron Fist both ended on cliffhangers and could've had bright futures. I get the feeling that Jessica Jones won't ever top season one, which I liked a lot. I'm also hoping that this doesn't mean Daredevil will end in season 3 or even after season 4. I could see Netflix letting go and becoming less reliant on Disney and cancelling all their shows, since Disney will soon be their biggest competitor. Marvel has talked about doing Loki and Scarlet Witch shows on their service, which sounds pretty boring/lame to me, but good luck.

Update: Daredevil is now over, which doesn't shock me. I think Netflix is killing the shows since Disney is an enemy now. New seasons for Punisher and Jones were already being made.

#2 Edited by Humanity (18258 posts) -

Iron Fist was consistently bad and Luke Cage while having a promising start didn’t maintain the momentum. I’m certain Jessica is next cause she’s probably the least action filled one of the three.

#3 Edited by haneybd87 (291 posts) -

It’s probably just that the shows aren’t getting good ratings because they’re not good. Jessica Jones season 1 was the only good thing out of the bunch and even that wasn’t on the level of some of Netflix’s other series. I think Daredevil has some really awesome moments but it’s all strung together by stuff I couldn’t care less about. Between that and Jessica Jones’ abysmal season 2 I wouldn’t be sad to see it all go.

I would take a Tom Hiddleston Loki show over these any day of the week.

#4 Posted by Ravelle (3250 posts) -

It’s probably just that the shows aren’t getting good ratings because they’re not good. Jessica Jones season 1 was the only good thing out of the bunch and even that wasn’t on the level of some of Netflix’s other series.

I would take a Tom Hiddleston Loki show over these any day of the week.

Well, you're in luck because that's what we're getting once Disney Channel hits. They announced a Loki/Scarlet witch show some time ago.

Also I don't think it's just ratings, even though it might not help its cancellation, Netflix canceling shows isn't something I see happening that often, especially two shows right after each other. It's probably because the big move to Disney And the ratings that made them go "well, might as well cut it off now". I'm not sure if they're even gonna reboot them, taking them over or are gonna recast or whatever. Confusing stuff!

#5 Posted by Relkin (1035 posts) -

I wasn't aware they had been cancelled. That's a bummer, for sure. This series of shows has been going on for near half a decade; I've gotten somewhat invested in them. I thought that IF S2 was a substantial improvement over the first season, and I genuinely enjoyed LC S2, even if it was a few episodes too long. I feel like this will probably lead to the other shows dying sometime soon as well; I doubt they'll come back in another service. I imagine Disney looked upon this whole venture as an experiment: if it was successful enough, they would bring out the more popular properties and dump more money into their production when they launch their own service in competition with Netflix.

#6 Posted by nutter (1631 posts) -

I thought the end of Iron Fist Season 2 was sloppy and weird.

Hearing that Luke Cage Season 3 was cancelled after that ending is a serious bummer...hope they make good on his current status somewhere on Netflix...

#7 Edited by Cure_Optimism (58 posts) -

Both of those shows were bad as far as I'm concerned, so it's no big surprise and no big loss. I think Netflix jumped the gun after the success of Daredevil and pulled a Star Wars. Too many shows, and too many of them are uninteresting with unnecessarily long and drawn out seasons. I see Jessica Jones going next, and possibly Punisher if season 2 isn't stellar. Daredevil continues to be awesome.

#8 Posted by Deathstriker (1025 posts) -

@cure_optimism: Luke Cage was far from bad. Iron Fist started off bad, but season 2 was okay - it pretty much was on par with a CW show, which is no great achievement. However, most Netflix originals suck and are probably less popular, so I think it's more politics that they don't want to help their biggest enemy anymore. I only know one Iron Fist fan, but I know a lot of Luke Cage fans.

#9 Posted by TheHT (15751 posts) -

There's probably some merit to the Disney thing, but I think so long as those shows perform well enough for em they'd leave them with Netflix. Probably a high bar for that though.

I dunno, Iron Fist was okay, Luke Cage was bad but I got on board eventually, Jessica Jones was great, Daredevil great, Punisher great, but Defenders absolute trash. Such trash that I only watched the Punisher after my sister basically sat me down and made me watch an episode because she was so into it, but man do I have zero enthusiasm for any of those shows after the triple whammy of Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and The Defenders, even despite hearing good things about their follow-up seasons.

#10 Posted by Wandrecanada (1002 posts) -

They are killing Netflix shows so they can launch their new streaming service.

Putting middle-weight Marvel hero shows on their new service will not get me to sign up anymore than putting a middle-weight Star Trek got me to sign up with CBS All Access... but good luck to them I guess?

#11 Posted by wjb (2138 posts) -

Netflix is bloated with original content and billions of dollars in debt. They cancel shows after 1-2 seasons constantly, so this isn't a surprise. We can probably list the Netflix original series that were able to make a season 4 (and beyond) with one hand.

#12 Posted by korwin (3918 posts) -

No big reasons behind it, Iron Fist might have taken a large step forward for Season 2 but Season 1 was pretty terrible. Luke Cage Season 1 in the first half, but the second Cottonmouth was taken out it dropped pretty hard. The second season was woefully all over the shop.

Daredevil is going pretty well with Season 3 and JJ has been pretty good so far (though obviously both of these shows were strongest in their first seasons).

#13 Posted by haneybd87 (291 posts) -

@wjb: This. People don’t realize the scale of churn happening with Netflix shows. So many 1 season things out there that we’ll never see again.

Avatar image for captaincharisma
#14 Edited by CaptainCharisma (360 posts) -

I’m sad to see them ago. I enjoy all of the Marvel Netflix universe. Were the shows too long? I think so but Iron Fist season 2 fixed that by reducing the amount of episodes to allow a tighter story. I hate to see people out of work and hate to see them end what I thought was a great run with plenty of room to grow.

#15 Edited by 49th (3867 posts) -

It's a shame, I enjoyed those shows and it seemed like they were setting up some really interesting stuff for season 3. Apparently I am completely opposite to the popular opinion for pretty much every Marvel show though, I thought Iron Fist season 1 was way better than season 2 and actually preferred the second season of both Daredevil and Luke Cage over their first. I'd like to see them continue with those characters in some form whether it's a new Disney show or a crossover thing.

#16 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3702 posts) -
@humanity said:

Iron Fist was consistently bad and Luke Cage while having a promising start didn’t maintain the momentum. I’m certain Jessica is next cause she’s probably the least action filled one of the three.

Luke Cage was pretty good for about 5 or 6 episodes and then that was that.

#17 Posted by Deathstriker (1025 posts) -

@korwin: Actually, after looking into it more, it sounds like there were creative differences between Luke Cage's writers, Netflix, and/or Marvel since they were in the middle of writing season 3 when the plug got pulled. If it was about ratings I doubt they would've had them working on season 3 for so long. It definitely wasn't quality since most Netflix Originals suck and season 2 was better than season 1.

I think you could be right about Iron Fist, but Luke Cage definitely had a strong following with plenty of people liking it. I would've liked to have seen another Defenders and it be good the second time, but looks like that won't ever happen.

#18 Posted by avantegardener (2348 posts) -

The reason Iron Fist was cancelled because it was beyond dreadful, and you need time and talent to do a martial art driven show justice, see Daredevil. Luke Cage started really strong and fizzled out.

#19 Posted by mems1224 (2439 posts) -

Never got into Iron Fist because everyone said the first season was so bad. Watched a few episodes of Luke Cage and half a season of JJ and dropped both. They were both just kind of boring. The only Marvel shows I've gotten into are Agents of Shield, Punisher and Daredevil. Agents of Shield is by far their best TV show.

#20 Posted by Ataxia (153 posts) -
#21 Posted by haneybd87 (291 posts) -
#22 Posted by Esteban5XG (12 posts) -

I do believe both series have to end in season 2, because of the narrative argument. I sympathize with Luke Cage and Iron Fist as an interesting characters but I couldn't get the series. They were really boring in each season 2. Jessica Jones season 2 was terrible too, but in my opinion they are doing really good with Daredevil, even in season 3, with Fisk appearance. I would like to see The Defenders season 2, just to give them a chance to probe us they are good enough. But there is actually no hope to find that season in Netflix.

#23 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3702 posts) -

@korwin: Actually, after looking into it more, it sounds like there were creative differences between Luke Cage's writers, Netflix, and/or Marvel since they were in the middle of writing season 3 when the plug got pulled. If it was about ratings I doubt they would've had them working on season 3 for so long. It definitely wasn't quality since most Netflix Originals suck and season 2 was better than season 1.

I think you could be right about Iron Fist, but Luke Cage definitely had a strong following with plenty of people liking it. I would've liked to have seen another Defenders and it be good the second time, but looks like that won't ever happen.

I've seen the total opposite opinions of Iron Fist everywhere. Season 1 is hailed as absolute trash and has been ripped apart for just how bad the fight scenes are - particularly in light of

A) The character is meant to be the absolute hottest hand to hand martial artist
B) There are combat scenes in Daredevil that are some of the best put on TV.
C) Iron Fist happens after we've all seen what they can choreograph in Daredevil.

I've heard the second season "picks up" but the first season was so outputting bad that it'd be like saying "this slightly spoiled meat tastes better than that rancid meat".

#24 Edited by mezmero (3689 posts) -

While I somewhat enjoyed Luke Cage I'm surprised either of these got a 2nd season to be honest. I thought it would've been better to consolidate the characters into a Heroes For Hire show but alas not. You'd think with all the foreshadowing in Defenders it was for sure going in that direction. Judging by their 2nd seasons both series could've benefited from splitting the difference and cutting out the fat of their respective run times. Iron Fist was probably the show I went into wanting to like the most but it just never happened beyond it being a decent vehicle for Colleen Wing. I'm sure they were stretching that budget to its breaking point but the thought of them making that show with no intention of doing the origin story justice really grinds me gears (show him beating the dragon for fuck sake). By the end of season 2 it really felt like they spent two seasons trying to build up Danny Rand only to give up and throw the character under the bus. I just hate to see comic book properties being squandered in the multimedia space and that's pretty much what's been happening with these Netflix shows excluding Daredevil and The Punisher.

Worth noting I've seen all of these shows and currently going through Daredevil season 3. It's definitely starting to sink in that of all these properties Daredevil was easily the most worthwhile thing they've pursued for the Marvel Streetimatic universe. I mean I didn't think Defenders was nearly as bad as most people purely by taking it as a big silly Daredevil crossover event. It's sort of hard to judge when the only other big TV comic crossover you have to compare it to is the CW-iverse TV events which are pretty trashy in their own right. Despite the themes in Daredevil about legality and due process I'm noticing that among all the Marvel shows and movies has been a weirdly pro-capital punishment stance that I'm not entirely comfortable with. I wouldn't mind it if it was only a few of them but I feel like almost every single one features a moment where it's like "Well, some people are so bad you HAVE to end them."

#25 Edited by MostlySquares (301 posts) -

These shows all seemed so damned cheap to me.. They all felt like soap operas in their formula. It was about 70% padding of time, 20% actual plot and 10% exciting stuff.. And 90% of the show happened across 2-4 locations to keep the cost to a minimum.

Most of those shows would have been much better as a 4 part miniseries or similar. Luke Cage in particular was pretty much nothing but extremely slow character development that never paid off. You don't need that much drama to flesh out a guy who is quietly and begrudgingly kicking ass.

Not sad to see any of those shows go. Daredevil got 40% of Netflix' Marvel budget, most of the writing staff and all of the choreography budget (the fighting scenes in Iron Fist are just instant memes) and the other series had to make due with scraps. If these shows weren't based on super heroes, few of these shows would even air a full season on broadcast TV. They would be yanked at the half way point and be replaced with reruns of Matlock or something.

#26 Posted by jewunit (1153 posts) -

I sort of expected Iron Fist to be canceled given the critical reception it has received. Luke Cage getting canceled is a little more surprising. I am biased toward Luke Cage though. I love the character and the Netflix series repurposed the villains from the comic book into something that exceeded their original forms. It would be nice if these cancellations lead into something bigger for the two characters like a Heroes for Hire series, but there do not seem to be any indications from Marvel regarding what will happen. If a Heroes for Hire team gets made, I hope that it would be a smaller team. I love The Flash and Supergirl which have a few main heroes and a small but strong ensemble cast. A series that is almost all heroes like Legends of Tomorrow just feels like too much to follow.

#27 Posted by AdamALC (264 posts) -

I am bummed they cancelled Luke Cage, I wanted to see where the story was going at the end of Season 2. Iron Fist didn't know what it wanted to be and you could tell by the way they took season two to shit on the title character. I hope if the Punisher gets a season 2 they will just end it and not bank on any of these shows coming back.

#28 Posted by Sdoots (501 posts) -

They'll cancel Daredevil in 5 months once Season 3 hype ends, do the same for JJ once Season 3 airs for that, and then when the Disney thing comes out they can look really good by going "AND WE'RE BRINGING BACK DAREDEVIL, LUKE CAGE, IRON FIST, AND JESSICA JONES!"

#29 Edited by Deathstriker (1025 posts) -

@jesus_phish: I'm not sure what you mean. I never said Iron Fist season one was better than two. Jessica Jones is the only one that got worse after season one IMO.

#30 Posted by BoFooQ (1107 posts) -

I would bet this is money thing, sure disney is starting their own thing but there are plenty of superheros to go around. The ratings can't be great, my biggest issue is often length, most of these seasons are like 3 episodes to long. I love all this marvel crap, and generally believe more is better cause there will be some good mixed in there. The question is what will netflix do for action series? seems like they have endless comedies, but if these close all their marvel stuff I'm not sure what other action series they'll have. Could they buy some DC people and make some series off them? That might be great idea espically when disney first launches their thing.

Iron fist was interesting, but confusing. How many people died and came back to life in season one? how easy was it to transfer power in season 2?

luke cage was cool. Luke should have been fighting more random crime. Too many of these seasons focus only on one bad guy and stories line are too dragged out.

#31 Posted by BallsLeon (531 posts) -

My prayers are finally being answered, the never-ending torrent of superhero content is finally being stifled. A new Marvel movie/show seems to get released every week these days so I am pretty burnt out on superheroes.

Luke Cage seemed fine, but Iron Fist was trash this one seemed doomed from the get go.

#32 Edited by MrGreenMan (149 posts) -

There was so much potential for those shows to work especially together those 2 characters are a lot of fun, sadly it seems like they really trying to avoid that as much as possible. While I thought those shows were fine, it took way to long for any kind of payoff to do anything interesting with those characters.

#33 Posted by ATastySlurpee (612 posts) -

I'd like to see a Heroes for Hire season with 10 episodes to tie up some loose ends with both. Misty and Colleen were better characters and I wont to see more of them (Daughters of the Dragon!)

Daredevil is the only show of the 4 that's been consistent (S3 is fantastic) Iron Fist S1 wasn't nearly as bad as ppl made it out to be, but it wasn't great, S2 was pretty good, helped that it was only 10 episodes. Jessica Jones S1 was great, S2 was trash, maybe the worst of all of them. Luke Cage S1 was good, not great, S2 was pretty meh. Defenders was BAAAAAD

The thing is, I don't want these to go to Disney. I like a little violence and 'adultness' to my comic book stuff. Not everything has to be kid friendly and not everything has to be grim dark either. You can have both. I'm also not paying for another streaming service either. The Loki series might be cool, but it's unnecessary. Do not care about Scarlett Witch or a possible Nick Fury series (even though I love SLJ as Nick Fury)

I've been waiting for a Moon Knight series ever since Daredevil season 1 came out and I've held out hope that maybe Netflix would make one (missed a golden opportunity to weave Marc Spector into the Punisher series), but doesn't look like its going to happen. Moon Knight would NEVER work on the kid-friendly Disney app either due to the nature of their character.

#34 Edited by hermes (2564 posts) -

@jesus_phish: True, Iron Fist was pretty awful. From what I read, the protagonist was given 6 weeks to physically prepare before shooting started, which is a ridiculous amount of time, and the producers would change choreographies from one day to the other. Under those conditions, it was a miracle something watchable came out.

Defenders was not so great... Plagued with inconsistencies, it took half a season before the "team" is formed. Before that, it was a lot of fluff with the least interesting villains of the whole thing.

I haven't seen Iron Fist S2, but I have no interest after my good will was drained with S1 and Defenders... and that is the main reason why the project is sinking. Despite having 2 and a half poorly received seasons in a row, they didn't bunker down, get to a big introspect and try to savage the ship; instead, they went full steam ahead, acted like nothing was wrong and saturated the market.

ShowRelease
Daredevil 1Apr 10, 2015
Jessica Jones 1Nov 20, 2015
Daredevil 2Mar 18, 2016
Luke Cage 1Sep 30, 2016
Iron Fist 1Mar 17, 2017
The Defenders 1Aug 18, 2017
Punisher 1Nov 17, 2017
Jessica Jones 2Mar 8, 2018
Luke Cage 2Jun 22, 2018
Iron Fist 2Sep 7, 2018
Daredevil 3Oct 19, 2018

Look at that. At 2005 and 2006, they released 2 show a year, with 6 months between shows. That allowed people to watch them at their own pace and not get boggled by the releases. It also allowed the producers to ensure quality, take notice of reactions and adjust their work if something wasn't working with other series. Come 2017, they released 3 shows, with 3 months between each other. In 2018, they released 4 shows (so far), with an absolute record of a single month between Iron Fist and Daredevil.

As a personal experience, I dropped the whole thing after the defenders, the whole thing (the second half of Cage, the entire season of Iron Fist and Defenders) felt pretty lifeless and I only saw them to see how they wrapped it. And I know a lot of people that didn't even got so far, stopping before Iron Fist due to bad word of mouth. That was barely a year ago; if I want to continue, there are 5 shows after that, some of which I have no interest in visiting... I started Punisher and didn't finish it, started Cage and stopped after a single episode.

Netflix knows about this, and I don't think my example is an outline (other that sticking for so long). That is the reason why they are canceling shows left and right... the existence of the cinematic universe put a lot of pressure on them, which translates in a bigger budget, and they are not worth the production money.

#35 Posted by BallsLeon (531 posts) -

@hermes: They could have gone with a true martial artists with prior experience doing fight choreography.... instead they went with some random white dude.

#36 Edited by hermes (2564 posts) -

@ballsleon: True... that was a red flag, although it would not automatically meant the end of the project. Keanu Reeves had little martial training before Matrix, the same with Matt Damon before Bourne, Liam Neeson before Taken and Charlize Theron before Atomic Blonde. We have seen several times in the last decades that, given enough preparation and training, actors can work to make physically demanding roles look, at least, credible on the screen. By contrast, many action flicks of the 70s and 80s proveed that most martial artists didn't have the acting chops to star in a 40 minutes TV show, much less signing for a multi-production, years covering contract for several seasons of several shows. Hollywood has proven several times it is better to take a trained actor and make him pretend to be a martial artist than take a trained martial artist and expect him to be on par with trained actors...

However, I don't hold that against Jones... I blame the production team for that. To give a little more than a month to any actor to prepare physically is ridiculous (for comparisons sake, Keanu Reeves trained intensively for almost a year to work on John Wick 2, and he already had experience starring, producing and directing action movies). They were pressured and agreed to shoot 13 episodes in less than 2 months, and the result shows, with the screenplay not being revised, threads that lead nowhere and most scenes (action and not) being obviously first shoots.

#37 Edited by BallsLeon (531 posts) -

@hermes said:

@ballsleon: [...] By contrast, many action flicks of the 70s and 80s proveed that most martial artists didn't have the acting chops to star in a 40 minutes TV show, much less signing for a multi-production, years covering contract for several seasons of several shows.

Wow... my friends JCVD and Steven Seagal would like to speak with you.

#38 Posted by FrostyRyan (2842 posts) -

this is pretty off topic i'm sorry but can anyone tell me if DD season 3 has any sex or nudity in it, like on the level of JJ and luke cage? we have a little one who likes to watch with us.

Spare me the "OH SO GRAPHIC VIOLENCE IS OK BUT ONE SEX SCENE ISN'T BLAH BLAH BLAH" speech

#39 Posted by devise22 (713 posts) -

Rumors circulating that Heroes for Hire is likely, I'd imagine with Netflix. I could see that getting a couple of seasons to wrap up loose ends. As for the shows themselves being cancelled, I'll defend the hell out of certain things about Iron Fist and Luke Cage honestly. I think both of those shows really hammer home the thing that the Netflix Marvel shows have in spades. Strength in characters that aren't the featured character on the box. I agree with the complaints regarding consistency of villains in things like Defenders, certainly most of the shows didn't have any villains close to the level of Purple Man or Kingpin in the other two Marvel shows. But the screen time, and detail to the supporting cast is still what makes those shows watchable to me.

I think one of the things most people don't enjoy about Iron Fist is that the main character isn't meant to be identifiable or likeable. It's why so much of the plot of S1 revolves around the Meechums, and then even as Season 2 starts to focus more on Danny's backstory, the actual better villain in Davos gets featured. But Misty and Colleen are what make Season 2 of Iron Fist so great. As for Luke Cage, Rosario Dawsons Claire a mainstay of some of the other Netflix shows is pretty much a showstealer. However I do think Season 2 showed an interesting continuation of the twist on Mariah Stokes villain. The reality is though these shows only somewhat feature the hero moments or action moments that you'd expect. The pacing is often less "action movie" and more "serial drama featuring some fight scenes". So if your not into serial dramas, like, obviously they aren't for you in most cases.

I'm happy to see that it's likely to get Heroes for Hire though. I think even if Iron Fist and Luke Cage both had some lows, there was a lot of underrated side characters inside both those shows just like the rest of the Netflix Marvel stuff, and the episode they did for the team up of Iron Fist and Cage in S2 of Luke Cage was legit one of the best episodes. I have a feeling teaming up the characters and then lowering the number of eps so as to produce less of these per year is a good first step in salvaging the band aid of the saturation they caused.

#40 Edited by hermes (2564 posts) -

@ballsleon said:

@hermes said:

@ballsleon: [...] By contrast, many action flicks of the 70s and 80s proveed that most martial artists didn't have the acting chops to star in a 40 minutes TV show, much less signing for a multi-production, years covering contract for several seasons of several shows.

Wow... my friends JCVD and Steven Seagal would like to speak with you.

Hey, I like (several) movies from JCVD, but his acting was not the highlight of those movies.

Besides, he is one of the few that was relatively decent. Remember Olivier Gruner? Michel Qissi? Matthias Hues? Don Wilson? Cynthia Rothrock? Mark Dacascos? Sasha Mitchell? Benny Urquidez? Michael Dudikoff? The list goes on...

#41 Posted by bmccann42 (354 posts) -

@ballsleon: I really wouldn't use Jean-Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal as great actors.

Actually the less said about Seagal the better these days, based on his most recent activities including being a buddy of Vladimir Putin and now holding Russian citizenship...

#42 Posted by BallsLeon (531 posts) -

@bmccann42: @hermes: You're telling me THIS guy isn't a good actor?? (Pardon poor quality)

Loading Video...

#43 Posted by hermes (2564 posts) -

@ballsleon: Yes, yes I am.

Without intentions to derail the conversion some more (maybe we should have our own thread), Seagal has only 2 good movies in his extremely prolific career: Under Siege and Nico. I have little patience with cheesy movies that are not even a little bit self aware, and I am not counting Executive Decision and Machete (which were good performances because he was like 5 minutes in them)

#44 Edited by Nethlem (763 posts) -

It's too bad about Luke Cage, I really enjoyed both seasons of that, but I'm not the least surprised about Iron Fist being canceled, that did nothing for me, the second season of that is the only Marvel Netflix show I didn't watch trough due to a lack of interest.

I mean, it's already reached a point where all these Netflix Marvel shows feel a bit too much "more of the samey", the only show that consistently keeps me hooked is pretty much Daredevil but even that is starting to lose its appeal with the third season.

Ain't helping that besides Netflix there's a whole slew of Marvel shows that even as a fan make me go "Plx just stop" because out of those Agents of Shield is the only good one. Afaik it's also the show closest tied to the MCU with actual crossovers planned down the line, at least I hope so.

@frostyryan: I'm so far on episode 4 and can't recall any nudity or sexual themes, but I didn't particularly look for it.

#45 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3702 posts) -

this is pretty off topic i'm sorry but can anyone tell me if DD season 3 has any sex or nudity in it, like on the level of JJ and luke cage? we have a little one who likes to watch with us.

Spare me the "OH SO GRAPHIC VIOLENCE IS OK BUT ONE SEX SCENE ISN'T BLAH BLAH BLAH" speech

I've gotten to episode 8 or so and so far the only hint of sex is a scene between Foggy and his girlfriend (whose name I forget). It's just kissing and implied that they're about to have sex. When the show returns to that scene, they're both sitting on the same couch in their apartment, fully clothed, though her shirt is unbuttoned (she has a bra on) and his is untucked from his pants.

And that's been about it - as opposed to that smash cut shot in Jessica Jones where one second her and Luke Cage are in a bar and the next they're trying to bang a hole through the wall using her bed.

#46 Posted by Brendan (9206 posts) -

I would assume it's more that the reception/ratings aren't stellar. Netflix's Marvel output feels like Telltale to me...too much, and not good enough. The only one I've kept up with for two full seasons was Daredevil and even that show is mostly "good" for a show of it's genre. Fell off Luke Cage in seasons 1, never watched Iron Fist since everyone said it was trash, therefore didn't get into the Defenders since it seemed to focus on a lot of his stuff, therefore never started Luke Cage season 2 either, and based on the strength of JJ season 1 started season 2 but it was boring a stopped after like 2 episodes.

Maybe people on here can help me out? Would maybe watch Daredevil season 3 but assuming at this point it's jumping off Defenders stuff...is it worth getting back into, or is there anything I should be primed on so I don't feel lost?

#47 Posted by sammo21 (5936 posts) -

Honestly, this is the chaff being cut from the wheat. Here's my two cents:
1. Luke Cage and Iron Fist will not be coming to Disney streaming. Luke Cage, especially, is far too mature of a show for a platform that has been confirmed to not have any R-rated films or mature rated content. Iron Fist isn't far off.
2. Netflix is extremely transparent about the numbers they want to brag about. This isn't crazy, we're used to this with gaming numbers and companies like Microsoft and Sony. If Luke Cage season 2 or Iron Fist season 2 did anything worth noting they would let us know. I assume they did poorly in the ratings department. Iron Fist s1 and Luke Cage s1 both did well, we heard about it from Netflix so their radio silence about numbers about s2 is telling in my mind.
3. Luke Cage and Iron Fist have been, largely, terrible. Because these shows seem to be mandated to have a full 13 episode run, opposed to 8 like Defenders, means they have to stretch their content and that almost always makes the show worse. Daredevil, imo, is the only one that doesn't have this problem but literally ever other Marvel/Netflix show does. Luke Cage s1 was good until Cottonmouth died then it fell apart, season 2 meandered the entire time but Coulter was good. Iron Fist season 1 was terrible, but season 2 was good (but should have been shorter). Jessica Jones season 1 was OK but Wil Traval and David Tennant carried the show, in my opinion. Jessica Jones season 2 was god awful and I couldn't even finish it but they announced a new series before season 2 had even come out...which strengthens my opinion that this is why they cancelled LC and IF before they could fall into the same trap. I don't expect JJ season 4 to be announced unless 3 is a critical and numbers success. Defenders was terrible too, literally the worst show they've made with Marvel, and its no surprise they have nothing planned for that series. The Punisher season 2 just finished filming so same thing, you won't see season 3 announced (or the show announced as cancelled) until after its released and they look at the reception.
4. Daredevil has been the only truly successful show, beginning to end, that they have. Punisher behind that (should have been shorter) and everything else is either a full or half mess. If Daredevil gets cancelled then we can maybe see that something else is going on and maybe they are just going to cycle these characters out and introduce new ones.
5. Best case scenario for LC and IF is that they merge the two shows and create a Heroes for Hire style show but I can't see that happening with how Iron Fist and Luke Cage ended. HFH makes no sense for that world or those characters where they are but they could always write around that...just like the comics do.

#48 Posted by Deathstriker (1025 posts) -

Daredevil got cancelled today :(

#49 Posted by Barrock (4080 posts) -

This is unfortunate. I hope Disney continues with the characters on their service.

I'm probably part of the problem. I've only watched Daredevil season 1 and 2, plus Jessica Jones season 1.

#50 Posted by sub_o (1143 posts) -

Marvel fatigue and Disney getting back controls of their IP.

Netflix’s new hotness is ANIME