NHL 09 Likes & Dislikes
What I liked about the game
- Be A Pro: This is a dream come true for any hockey fan out there. Create yourself in the game, join your favorite team and play alongside the best in the league.
- Defensive Skill Stick: Makes defending a whole lot easier and adds a new dimension to the game.
- EA Sports Hockey League: Take your created self online and play with 5 other people in your own created team. Another dream come true.
- Excellent in-game commentary: Gary Thorne & Bill Clement are back and better than ever.
- Superior player animations: The players, for the most part, look like their real-life counterparts.
- Montreal Canadiens Centennial Team: It's awesome that EA actually created a team of the Habs' greatest. Kudos to them.
What I disliked about the game
- Some bugs remain: There are still some pucks getting stuck behind the net and some ridiculous goals being scored.
- Poor soundtrack: Although better than last year's edition, there's still a lot of room for improvement.
The LowdownI might be the only person on this website who has NHL 09 as one of his favorite games this year. On the surface, it might not seem like an obvious choice, but if you're a fervent hockey fan like I am, NHL 09 was a Godsend. Although pretty much anybody could get into this game, I think EA aimed for the hardcore fans of the sport with this one. The Be A Pro mode in NHL 09 is the best thing that could've happened to the franchise. Creating myself in the game and playing with the Habs' farm team for a while was great, but when I finally got the call to join the Canadiens, the sensation was exhilarating. Jumping on the ice while the announcer goes "Ladies and gentlemen, your Montreal Canadiens!" sent shivers down my spine. For someone like me who never got the chance to play hockey because of my illness, and who loves the sport and his team so much, video game moments like these are simply memorable. Another strong moment was when I scored my first goal with the Habs and heard Gary Thorne say "What a great goal by Poirier". I froze for a moment and thought "Did he actually say my name?". Indeed he had. With that said, when you add superb controls, the EASHL and many other nice touches to the mix, NHL 09 is a magnificent game and the very best in the series so far, bar none.
The Countdown So Far10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
7. Civilization Revolution
6. Saints Row 2
5. Rock Band 2
4. Grand Theft Auto IV
3. Rainbow Six Vegas 2
2. NHL 09
- My number one favorite game of 2008 in video form.
- My most disappointing game of 2008.
- My favorite movie of 2008.
- My favorite album of 2008.