• 70 results
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By ravensword

They say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. But it also helps when the imitation is good. IMO these are the best 11 song covers. Keep in mind these are ones I like more then anything else.  these are in no particular order.  

Sympathy for the Devil by Guns and roses (original performed by The Rolling Stones)  

Pretty Woman by Van Halen (original by Roy Orbison)  

Aside from the utterly Cracked out Music Video, this cover is actualy I think the first time I heard this song. Obviosuly since then I heard the original, and both have their charms. This version is really good IMO and has the great Eddie Van Halen guitar riffs to boot.  

Its not that I hated the orginal, in fact the original is quite good. Im just not a huge stones fan. Personaly, I think this version is much better then the original. Seems more roking to me.   

Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson (original performed by Euthymics)  

Ok, it probaly dosent help that im a Marily Manson fan, but I do think this cover is very very good. While the original was more groovy in ways, this one is actualy more dark and rockin, which kinda makes me feel thats how the song should been kind of.  

The locomotion by Grand Funk Railroad (original performed by Little Eva)  

Really, whos going to deny this? Chances are you have heard this song, and chances are the version you heard and have continued to heard is this cover version.   

I Fought the Law by The Clash (originaly performed by the crickets)  

this is one of those examples where the cover oif the original song is arguably superior to the original song (we have a big exampel of this later on in the list) . Its also a example of a song that helped the band become well known even though it was a cover.   

Hound Dog by Elvis Presley (oringaly performed by Big Momma Thornton)  

Yet another example of a song you probaly heard the cover of alot more then the original. In fact, im sure no one would hold it against you if you said this was a Elvis Original song, in fact i didnt even know this wasnta  Elvis original song until I had a history of rock class. It might as well be IMO, considering the recognition this version gets.   

Hurt by Johnny Cash (originaly performed by Nine Inch Nails)  

ok, this song is hard to put into words. If I had to pick a number one for this list, this might be it. this song is inspiring for so many reasons. First of all, I wont be ashmed to admit that the Music Video made me cry. Not only was this Cash's last song (or so I think)  it is also a giant lament over his life. His Mistakes and regrets. We know Cash didnt exactly have a happily ever after life, and this video and song pretty much cements it. Its impactful, it amkes you think, and most of all it makes you feel. And IMO, this is the only version of Hurt. that NIN one dosent exist to me. Now THAT is a hell of a cover.  

You Really Got me by Van Halen (originaly by The Kinks) 

Another song where all I heard was teh cover version, so naturally I thought this was the original. Van Halen took on the song that is considered one of the best guitar tracks ever and the blue print of a rock song and nailed it.  

Guns n Roses is a funny band in teh sense that quite a few of there songs that may be associated with them are actualy covers. For me, this is one of those songs. I first heard this version, and now its the one I associate teh song with, even if the Bob Dylan original is arguably just as good if not better to some.   

What a Wonderful World by Joey Ramone (originaly performed by Louis Armstong)  

One of my personal favorite covers. The Louis Armstrong original was much more slow and serene, whiel this one is more rockin and upbeat. It may not be as good as the original, but its still great.   

Tainted Love by Softcell (originaly performed by Gloria Jones) 

this is Probaly the Poster Child for the song cover. Pretty much, they took a song that wasnt well known and honestly maybe wasnt even that great, and made it amazing and popular as hell. this song is like number 1 or 2 on every list like this, and is honestly one of the best covers ever IMO. For comaprison purposes, I psoted both versions. The cover is on top, the original is on bottom.)  

Oh, and here is my honorarey number 12 joke song cover.  

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ravensword

They say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. But it also helps when the imitation is good. IMO these are the best 11 song covers. Keep in mind these are ones I like more then anything else.  these are in no particular order.  

Sympathy for the Devil by Guns and roses (original performed by The Rolling Stones)  

Pretty Woman by Van Halen (original by Roy Orbison)  

Aside from the utterly Cracked out Music Video, this cover is actualy I think the first time I heard this song. Obviosuly since then I heard the original, and both have their charms. This version is really good IMO and has the great Eddie Van Halen guitar riffs to boot.  

Its not that I hated the orginal, in fact the original is quite good. Im just not a huge stones fan. Personaly, I think this version is much better then the original. Seems more roking to me.   

Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson (original performed by Euthymics)  

Ok, it probaly dosent help that im a Marily Manson fan, but I do think this cover is very very good. While the original was more groovy in ways, this one is actualy more dark and rockin, which kinda makes me feel thats how the song should been kind of.  

The locomotion by Grand Funk Railroad (original performed by Little Eva)  

Really, whos going to deny this? Chances are you have heard this song, and chances are the version you heard and have continued to heard is this cover version.   

I Fought the Law by The Clash (originaly performed by the crickets)  

this is one of those examples where the cover oif the original song is arguably superior to the original song (we have a big exampel of this later on in the list) . Its also a example of a song that helped the band become well known even though it was a cover.   

Hound Dog by Elvis Presley (oringaly performed by Big Momma Thornton)  

Yet another example of a song you probaly heard the cover of alot more then the original. In fact, im sure no one would hold it against you if you said this was a Elvis Original song, in fact i didnt even know this wasnta  Elvis original song until I had a history of rock class. It might as well be IMO, considering the recognition this version gets.   

Hurt by Johnny Cash (originaly performed by Nine Inch Nails)  

ok, this song is hard to put into words. If I had to pick a number one for this list, this might be it. this song is inspiring for so many reasons. First of all, I wont be ashmed to admit that the Music Video made me cry. Not only was this Cash's last song (or so I think)  it is also a giant lament over his life. His Mistakes and regrets. We know Cash didnt exactly have a happily ever after life, and this video and song pretty much cements it. Its impactful, it amkes you think, and most of all it makes you feel. And IMO, this is the only version of Hurt. that NIN one dosent exist to me. Now THAT is a hell of a cover.  

You Really Got me by Van Halen (originaly by The Kinks) 

Another song where all I heard was teh cover version, so naturally I thought this was the original. Van Halen took on the song that is considered one of the best guitar tracks ever and the blue print of a rock song and nailed it.  

Guns n Roses is a funny band in teh sense that quite a few of there songs that may be associated with them are actualy covers. For me, this is one of those songs. I first heard this version, and now its the one I associate teh song with, even if the Bob Dylan original is arguably just as good if not better to some.   

What a Wonderful World by Joey Ramone (originaly performed by Louis Armstong)  

One of my personal favorite covers. The Louis Armstrong original was much more slow and serene, whiel this one is more rockin and upbeat. It may not be as good as the original, but its still great.   

Tainted Love by Softcell (originaly performed by Gloria Jones) 

this is Probaly the Poster Child for the song cover. Pretty much, they took a song that wasnt well known and honestly maybe wasnt even that great, and made it amazing and popular as hell. this song is like number 1 or 2 on every list like this, and is honestly one of the best covers ever IMO. For comaprison purposes, I psoted both versions. The cover is on top, the original is on bottom.)  

Oh, and here is my honorarey number 12 joke song cover.  

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Linkin10362

Dude, this is so weird. I was listening to "Hurt" while reading this and knew it was gonna be on here. Such an awesome song and don't worry, after watching the music video for the first time, I cried too.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dbz1995

'Hurt' is one of my favourite songs of all time.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Hurt is a good choice.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By SpiralStairs
davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By davidwitten22

The Nine Inch Nails version of Hurt is much better than the Cash version, and I fucking love Johnny Cash. You're an idiot for saying the NIN version doesn't count.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By sjschmidt93

Damn, I never knew You Really Got Me was a cover.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ravensword
@SpiralStairs:

Never heard Buckleys version, I heard of it though. The only Hallelujahs ive heard are cohens and Rufus Weinwrights.
RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By RoujinX

"...And IMO, this is the only version of Hurt. that NIN one dosent exist to me" 

Trent Reznor said the same thing in an interview.
Zoidberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Zoidberg

while the hurt cover is fantastic, nothing compares to the original for me.

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Linkin10362
@davidwitten22 said:
" The Nine Inch Nails version of Hurt is much better than the Cash version, and I fucking love Johnny Cash. You're an idiot for saying the NIN version doesn't count. "
I'm a fan of Cash and NIN, but the NIN version of the song annoys me. Also, Cash's version was the one I heard first and seems to fit him better singing it. I really like the sad tone it has that the NIN version lacks.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I'll add "Imagine" covered by A Perfect Cirlce and "Love Rollercoaster" covered by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Maybe I'll add more if I think of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Sonata Arctica - Wind beneath my wings
Disturbed - Land of Confusion

But yes, your list has some nice points. Kudos!

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkin10362
@RoujinX said:

" "...And IMO, this is the only version of Hurt. that NIN one dosent exist to me"  Trent Reznor said the same thing in an interview. "

Yep, just found the quote.  "I pop the video in, and wow… Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps… Wow. I felt like I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore."
maimran91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By maimran91

Brilliant thread

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By apoptosis61

where the hell is small town boy?

lizcav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By lizcav

Tainted Love must die! 

And yes Buckley's cover is amazing... kinda puts Cohen to shame.

apoptosis61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By apoptosis61

forgot to mention hallowed be thy name by cradle of filth , probably the best cover ever made   

nice amv ever :D 

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By samfo

Worst cover is - 
Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArchScabby

That's the only Marilyn Manson song I like.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By samfo

Im a big fan of Alice Cooper so I like this one as well: 

Steve Vai's second solo is fantastic

CyborgNixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By CyborgNixon

Face to Face's cover of Big Country is pretty cool.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

And let's not forget about Creedence.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bobdaman18

I would have liked to see the somewhere over the rainbow/what a beautiful world song by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole  but still very solid choices.  This thread reminded me of a bunch of songs i forgot i liked, thanks. 

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By gearhead

I'd think I would also add Garry Jules' cover of Madworld on there.

NubMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NubMonk

The "Beat It" cover by Micheal Jackson is pretty good. Nothing can touch Fall Out Boys' original though.

bloodredreaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bloodredreaper

Carnivore covering Hendrix:

Machetazo covering Carnivore:

Type O Negative covering Hey Joe (the Hendrix version at least):

Type O Negative covering Black Sabbath:

That Black Sabbath cover has reworked lyrics to be from Satan's Perspective. The cover of the original lyrics is the same musically.

I'm sure I'll think of more. Everything that Type O Negative covered is pretty sweet. Summer Breeze, Cinnamon Girl, Day Tripper, Santana etc.

Exhumed has a cover album that's pretty stellar.
Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bionicicide

UB40's cover of "Red Red Wine" (originally by Neil Diamond).

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DrPockets000
@Linkin10362 said:
" @davidwitten22 said:
" The Nine Inch Nails version of Hurt is much better than the Cash version, and I fucking love Johnny Cash. You're an idiot for saying the NIN version doesn't count. "
I'm a fan of Cash and NIN, but the NIN version of the song annoys me. Also, Cash's version was the one I heard first and seems to fit him better singing it. I really like the sad tone it has that the NIN version lacks. "
I agree, the NIN version sounds like nails on a chalkboard (no pun intended).   

A little-known cover was by Reign of Kindo, covering "Do You Realize??" by the Flaming Lips. Such a beautiful song.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Karl_Boss

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Spoonman671

Oh, I forgot an obvious one.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust

My favorite is The Gourds cover of "Gin and Juice" originally by Snoop Doggy Dog.  

A couple of other covers that I've really enjoyed include:
  1. t.A.T.u.'s cover of How Soon is Now originally by The Smiths
  2. Smashing Pumpkins and Dixie Chicks covers of the Fleetwood Mac classic "Landslide"
  3. Nirvana's recording of The Man Who Sold the World originally by David Bowie
  4. 10,000 Maniacs also did a fine version of Patty Smith's "Because the Night"
  5. Big Yellow Taxi was covered nicely by Counting Crows a couple of decades after Joni Mitchell recorded it
  6. Alien Ant Farm did a memorable version of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal"
  7. The Fabulous Pink Flamingos covered Hanson's "Mmm Bop" with levity and style
  8. Manfred Mann's version of the Bruce Springsteen song "Blinded by the Light" is great
  9. An odd but good one is Dolly Parton's rendition of Collective Soul's "Shine"
  10. Finally, there is Aretha Franklin's version of "Say a Little Prayer for You" originally recorded by Dionne Warwick

I guess that makes my Top-11 covers (yeah, it might be 12 since I mention two versions of "Landslide").  All links lead to YouTube videos of the songs.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheFreeMan

I hate being the only person in my group of friends who likes the NiN version of Hurt more than Cash's. Oy vey.

Also:

@Gearhead said:

" I'd think I would also add Garry Jules' cover of Madworld on there. "

Cool thread.
hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By hexogen

But seriously, Jeff Buckley's version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is probably my favorite cover. That Cake song is still pretty good though.
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Odd that you don't do the Marilyn Manson 'Tainted Love' cover...

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It's not my favorite, but Five Finger Death Punch (God I fucking hate that name) recently released a cover of Bad Company's song Bad Company: 

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Naturally, I'd like to throw Foo Fighters' cover of Baker Street in here. 

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MetalGearSunny
@NubMonk said:
" The "Beat It" cover by Micheal Jackson is pretty good. Nothing can touch Fall Out Boys' original though. "
I hope you're kidding.
timmysprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By timmysprinkles

I've always liked this version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Even though The Beatles' version is beyond amazing, I still enjoy this one.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By habster3
@SamFo said:
"

Worst cover is - 

"

Don't you mean "Word Up!" by KoRn?

Anyway, here are some of my choices. 

These will never top the originals, by the way (Except maybe "Turn the Page;" hey, what do you expect? I'm not a huge fan of Seger.)
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Vonocourt

Melvins' cover of Kiss' Goin' Blind.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By fjordson

No Hendrix version of All Along the Watchtower?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ravensword
@MarkWahlberg:

Well, I already had Soft Cells cover, which is like the best of all the versions of the song. So I thought it was kinda pointless.
OroJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By OroJackson

dieguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dieguy

I like the "white" version of this song better (I'm not a racist).

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CandleJakk

Joe Strummer & The Mescalero's cover of Bob Marley's 'Redemption Song' is absolutely beautiful to listen to, and is a summary for both Strummer & Marley's lives, but for different reasons.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By toowalrus

That's a pretty good list, almost everything on that list is excellent, except Brian Hugh Warner's cover of Sweet Dreams, which is GARBAGE!

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ryax

unfortunately i had to disregard everything on your list once i saw marilyn manson

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By Bruce

The Kendal Johansson cover of "Blue Moon" (originally by Big Star) is fucking greaaaaaaaaaaaat.