Traveling to Seattle at the end of the month

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Traveling to Seattle at the end of the month. Any bombers want to meet up ;). Any great places I should see video or not video game related. I know the Bungie offices are in Seattle but really don't play Bungie games as I am a pc gamer.

crackity_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By crackity_jones

I love Seattle! Here are my recommendations

• MOPOP (formerly known as the EMP) - pop culture museum with lots of unique things to see. When I went I saw original Star Wars costumes and Chuck Jones storyboards and original art.
  • Suika Castle - delicious authentic Japanese food
  • Uncle Ike's - the weed store, if you're into that
  • Taphouse - largest beer wall I've ever seen
  • Top Pot - NOT the weed store, it sells very good doughnuts
  • Mod Pizza - not all that special, just a make your own pizza place but something about it really made me happy.
  • Biscuit Bitch - breakfast place that specializes in, you guessed it, biscuits.
  • Pike Market - Cliche but still fun to wander around in for a few hours
zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By zaldar

I love the fact the weed store has a non weed name and the doughnut store has a weed name. Especially as a trademark lawyer I find that hilarious. The beer wall have cider? I am not much into hops or beer so...and yeah pikes market cliche as everyone and their brother recommends it - guess I should go then ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@zaldar said:

I love the fact the weed store has a non weed name and the doughnut store has a weed name. Especially as a trademark lawyer I find that hilarious. The beer wall have cider? I am not much into hops or beer so...and yeah pikes market cliche as everyone and their brother recommends it - guess I should go then ;)

Yes, it does. The Taphouse will have just about anything you want. I'd actually just recommend getting a flight of five or six different beers so you can try a handful at once.

The girlfriend and I travel to Seattle every year. It's a really special city that never lacks for anything to do. What part of Seattle are you staying in? And for how long? Seattle makes local transportation easy, but it's always good to know what's in the vicinity--what you can hit in a pinch.

We tend to stick closer to downtown, but we've ventured out to parts outside of Seattle too. The Bungie headquarters are situated in Bellevue, Washington--not Seattle proper--and traditionally don't employ an open door policy to public tours. The Microsoft campus in Redmond, in my experience, is a little more lax about that sort of thing. They even have a Microsoft store in the main building and a small museum-style setup for you to enjoy.

On the note of downtown, here are some other suggestions:

• The 5 Point Cafe -- A great dive bar/eatery/safe space midway between downtown and the Space Needle. Omelets, burgers, beer, regularly rotating John Carpenter films and good vibes. They're open 24/7, so if you're trundling around downtown Seattle in a misty post-midnight daze, they've always got your back.
  • Mae Phim -- One of my favorite Thai restaurants in the country, frankly. Right on the doorstep of Seattle's Pike Place Market, Mae Phim is a welcome anomaly amongst Pike Street's interminable row of Starbucks, clothing outlets, and burrito shops. Try to avoid Mae Phim during the lunch hour, though. They're usually swamped.
  • The Center for Wooden Boats -- I know, I know. What even is this. But hear me out. While not quite downtown, the Center for Wooden Boats sits on Seattle's Lake Union Park, which gives you perhaps my favorite low-slung vantage point of the Emerald City's amazing skyline. Seattle might be a bustling metropolis, but on the right evening with the right weather, the park is a Grade-A location to conclude a romantic date night. The Center for Wooden Boats itself is actually super cool. You can enroll in a workshop to get a fun, hands-on history with wooden boatcraft, or simply tour a creative and stimulating arsenal of seafaring vessels. In nicer months, you can sign up for day-long boat excursions out on Lake Union. BBQ on the lake, or, again, a romantic dinnertime cruise against the Seattle backdrop.
  • Museum of Pop Culture/Space Needle -- Honestly, this is the most "touristy" thing you can do, but if this is your first visit to Seattle, you kind of owe it to yourself. The Space Needle has such notoriety for a reason, and the interior of the building offers some genuinely cool exhibits. Secondarily, the Museum of Pop Culture is always bumping--there's always something fun happening or an awesome themed showcase you can check out.

As with any major city, there is way, way more you can do than you'd find in a Google search. I'm sure a Seattle native can jump in and give better suggestions. But regardless, enjoy your trip!

Tylerrools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me and the wife visited Seattle last year. Had a great time!

The Seattle Pinball Museum is a pretty cool place to have a few beers and play old pinball.

EMP museum, pike place market and Space Needle also worth visiting.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By rorie

I liked Mod Pizza too! It was always between our hotel and the convention center during PAX, but if you hit it at an off-hour it was pretty quick and real tasty. The Sky View observatory was also neat if you don't want to wait in line for the Space Needle.

zaldar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There for a week and staying in a holiday inn express that is close downtown.

Voysa_Reezun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Voysa_Reezun

I think the MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry) in Lake Union is my favorite museum in the city.

Pagliacci is the best pizza in the city. If you swing by Wallingford, Tilth and Bizarro are fantastic restaurants.

The Jacob Lawrence exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum is awesome.

If you want brunch some day, I highly suggest going to Portage Bay or, if you don't mind ranging around the city a bit, Geraldine's (the latter has the best diner food I've ever had for my money).

Wabi Sabi in Columbia City has the best (upscale and pricy) sushi in the city.

Samurai Noodle in the ID is great, and Wing Luke Museum is also there. That's another great museum. I wonder if they still have Bruce Lee stuff there - I haven't been in awhile.

MoPOP has the Indie Game stuff that has grown so much since it was just some dude with a small space and a bunch of old consoles.

Shug's Soda Fountain is in the Pike Place area and has INSANELY good sundaes. Top class stuff.

Oh yeah, and bookstores! Elliott Bay is awesome. So is Third Place, but that might be a bit out of your immediate range on either side of you. I often judge a city by the quality of its local bookstores, though, so I'm a bit weird.

Since this is a site for video games and the people what love 'em, I have to say that the best barcade in the area actually isn't in Seattle proper, but in Renton (8-Bit Arcade). I doubt that you'll want to drive out or Lyft out that far, but I figured that it was worth mentioning just in case.

I've got more suggestions if you want 'em.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Used to live in Seattle. The international district has some great (and cheap) hole in the wall resteraunts as well as a few random collectible shops. The ID also has "Pink Gorilla" which is a rad Japanese import game shop. Seattle tends to be expensive depending on the area so shop smart.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By OpusOfTheMagnum

If you'll be doing any late night drinking, look up Beth's Cafe if you need some 3AM food or anything. Awesome diner style food, and a pretty cool atmosphere. Easy to bus to from downtown if you aren't going to have a rented car or anything.

Definitely stroll around Pike Place Market. I like it best in the evening. Beechers Cheese has really fucking good Mac and Cheese in the market.

YesIndeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By YesIndeed

If cider's your thing, go to Schilling Cider House in Fremont. It's the largest craft cidery in North America and has some good stuff. It's in a cool neighborhood to boot. Within walking distance of the Fremont Troll, Gasworks Park, and lots of restaurants, bars, and venues.

If you're looking to see a show, my favorite venue in the city is Triple Door. It's an awesome sit down restaurant/music venue. Otherwise, there are plenty of smaller clubs with music playing all the time. Neumo's and Chop Suey on Capitol Hill are decent.

My favorite place in Seattle that nobody ever talks about is Discovery Park (not to be confused with the park at Seattle Center, which a lot of TripAdvisor reviewers do). It's a big ass park situated around an old WW2 military base. The base is up on top of some bluffs overlooking the Puget Sound. You can hike down the bluffs to the beach where there's a lighthouse. On a clear sunny day, you get a gorgeous view of Mount Rainier and the Olympic Mountains. It feels completely separate from the city, but it's very close by in the Magnolia neighborhood.

I lived in Western Washington for 30 years, and Seattle proper for 5. Let me know if you have any questions!

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I live out here now. Originally from NJ.

Top Pot is great, worth the donuts. Do some of the touristy stuff. The market is worth seeing, Rachel's Ginger Beer is really good. Beecher's cheese.

Visit some breweries in Ballard/Fremont. Sweet and Savory Pie in Fremont is awesome. If you have a car, McMenamin's Anderson School in Bothell is pretty cool to see. Ya gotta go and get some greasy Dick's (it's a burger place) .