• 92 results
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Or, I don't know if that's the correct word, but I was wondering, has anyone else here posted on sites in good nature, and yet someone, an individual, has posted repeatedly negative comments toward you? I'm having this dilemma over at GameSpot, and it's really fucking annoying. I'm almost always in a good mood, and it takes a lot to get me angry or even annoyed when it comes to replying to someone on the internet, but this guy seems to go to the extreme. First I post on a blog about RE6, then he kept talking shit, and then he just recently came back with an off-topic "o geeze u still around are you? Why don't u just watch it and shut your trash" on the Halo Live stream they had going over there. Like I said, it takes a lot to get me mad, and I often don't ever resort to swearing at a person or even being combative -- I guess you can say -- towards anyone, but man. Has anyone else here had this happen? It's really bothering me when all I ever try to do is ask or comment in good nature. It ruins my often perfectly good mood. Sorry if any of this seems jumbled, I'm kind of frustrated. I was really happy and excited, but then out comes the "troll" and it caught me by surprise. I hope this is OK enough to discuss and not worth locking. Alright, bye now.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I can't say I came into contact with anyone online that was able to actually piss me off for a long time. Years of using the internet I suppose...I'm dead inside.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

Sometimes. Sometimes I'm just in a mood where as soon as someone questions my opinion on something and implies that I'm wrong because I don't think the exact same way they do I get immediately irritated and lash out. What I always have to remember is that this is the internet and those who pick on people the most online would likely be the first to fall apart looking at someone in the eye while questioning the other's opinion off the internet.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

@TheDudeOfGaming: Yeah, it's a very, very rare occurrence for me. I've calmed down. I don't believe I've ever run into an individual that tries to seek me out and troll my comments, it's usually someone that goes after a group of people, which I am not part of, until I happen to interact with it, if I do. I don't feel like I'm one to be trolled, or in this case bullied, but I guess everyone can be. Thanks for your post.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rpgee

Don't feed the trolls, man.

One option is to just ignore him completely. If he ever says anything, don't respond, and really don't even read it if it's going to be worthless. If the dude's a dick, he'll be even more of a dick if he senses weakness.

The other option is to not cross that bridge. That's the harder choice, but if it's really getting to you then leave him, and you'll never see him again, hopefully.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Debating is largely useless even if one participant greatly outdoes the other (unless there's a significant audience, even then not particularly useful); the internet is just a reflection of this taken to its logical extreme. Now as far as trolling goes sometimes its a good idea to make fun of people while you post your opinion of whatever, though this does require a sense of humor which may yet be uncommon. On the internet (and often in reality) I generally expect anyone and everyone to be a dumbass and am pleasantly surprised when they are not, if I write a personal message to someone it will probably be kind and straightforward but if I see an idiot acting like an idiot in a public forum I can not but attempt to troll them in some fashion. You shouldn't have much emotional attachment to whatever happens online though, anonymity does horrible things to people.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aetheldod

@NTM: If the person is following your comments to troll you then I guess you should report him and have him banned

@TheDudeOfGaming: Really? *Pokes with a stick*

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Dagbiker

I have never had anyone attack me, and keep attacking me. Im sure I have pissed people off with my comments though, but I don't attack people, just their argument.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

@JasonR86: Thanks for the post, I agree entirely.

@RPGee: I know, and I'm not. The unfortunate fact for him is that I'm not so 'weak' though I understand his poor intentions.

@Fredchuckdave: Well, we're not debating, he's just targeting me when he shouldn't be. Oh, and I agree about the whole anonymity thing. There are actually plenty of places I use my full name because I'm not afraid to do that. I'm less concerned about who this guy is than who this guy thinks I am. He keeps calling me ugly and calling me a loser, yet if he saw me (and yes, I guess I'm bragging, so sorry) he wouldn't think that. It's... I don't know, it's something.

Thanks for the posts, fortunately, I'm not angry anymore.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

@Dagbiker: The problem here is that I never said anything that should have pissed anyone off, but he's unremitting, it's pathetic and kind of funny at the same time.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hungry

Yeah he sounds like a troll. But he's really, really bad at it. Very obvious he's just trying to get a rise out of you so it isn't even entertaining. 0/10 get better trashcan.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

You could contact a mod about it, I guess. If this guy has nothing better to do than to internet-tough-guy you all day, then I'd imagine the mods would deal with it swiftly.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tunaburn

oh god youre posting here too? what are you like 6? cry more baby. boo hoo want your ba-ba?

;)

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zeforgotten
@NTM said:

Or, I don't know if that's the correct word, but I was wondering, has anyone else here posted on sites in good nature, and yet someone, an individual, has posted repeatedly negative comments toward you? I'm having this dilemma over at GameSpot, and it's really fucking annoying. I'm almost always in a good mood, and it takes a lot to get me angry or even annoyed when it comes to replying to someone on the internet, but this guy seems to go to the extreme. First I post on a blog about RE6, then he kept talking shit, and then he just recently came back with an off-topic "o geeze u still around are you? Why don't u just watch it and shut your trash" on the Halo Live stream they had going over there. Like I said, it takes a lot to get me mad, and I often don't ever resort to swearing at a person or even being combative -- I guess you can say -- towards anyone, but man. Has anyone else here had this happen? It's really bothering me when all I ever try to do is ask or comment in good nature. It ruins my often perfectly good mood. Sorry if any of this seems jumbled, I'm kind of frustrated. I was really happy and excited, but then out comes the "troll" and it caught me by surprise. I hope this is OK enough to discuss and not worth locking. Alright, bye now.

Nothing like that, all I have is the occasional annoying fanboi whining about something I said about his favorite console. 
And then someone who just flags me for no reason other than they don't like me 

But as a wise man once said (one, far smarter than anyone here) 
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood for something in your life."
Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By Justin258

I'be pissed people off and been pissed off, but I have never had anyone consistently attack me.
Generally, the best idea when that happens is to report them to the mods. I know that sounds like "telling the teacher" or whatever, but what are you going to do about it other than curse?
At the end of the day, you can rest easy knowing that those sorts of people can't look anyone in the eye in real life and make a statement.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#16  Edited By Sin4profit

Just report'im. Gamespot will suspend an account just for looking at you funny.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

@Hungry: He did get a small rise out of me with my first response back to him, but I think he got the jist of it. Don't fuck with me. I don't like bragging, ever, but this person is messing with me when inside, I just don't seem like the person to be doing that too. This is not me saying I'd go after someone because of it, I'm just saying I don't see myself as someone that should be targeted with the comments he's sending my way, since they have no bearing on me.

When I said bragging, I just think that I'm a much stronger willed and a much better looking person than he thinks I am. Now, usually when someone says they think they look good, that's probably not true, so I shouldn't say it; I know, but still. I don't do that sort of thing, but if he thinks I'm some fat lazy shit that sits on my ass all day eating doughnuts, he'd be surprised. Alright, sorry that was unneeded. I also don't swear as much as I did in those two paragraph, usually, ha ha.

@Ravenlight: Yeah, very much true. I've been marking all of his comments with the "spam" or "offensive" stuff.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By konig_kei

If you just agree with him you will beat him.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM

@tunaburn said:

oh god youre posting here too? what are you like 6? cry more baby. boo hoo want your ba-ba?

;)

Tell me you're being sarcastic, as I hope the ";)" is saying.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hungry

@NTM said:

@Hungry: He did get a small rise out of me with my first response back to him, but I think he got the jist of it. Don't fuck with me. I don't like bragging, ever, but this person is messing with me when inside, I just don't seem like the person to be doing that too. This is not me saying I'd go after someone because of it, I'm just saying I don't see myself as someone that should be targeted with the comments he's sending my way, since they have no bearing on me.

When I said bragging, I just think that I'm a much stronger willed and a much better looking person than he thinks I am. Now, usually when someone says they think they look good, that's probably not true, so I shouldn't say it; I know, but still. I don't do that sort of thing, but if he thinks I'm some fat lazy shit that sits on my ass all day eating doughnuts, he'd be surprised. Alright, sorry that was unneeded. I also don't swear as much as I did in those two paragraph, usually, ha ha.

@Ravenlight: Yeah, very much true. I've been marking all of his comments with the "spam" or "offensive" stuff.

But... okay. I guess you don't really understand. He is going to keep fucking with you when you elicit a response like that. By responding to him in such a way he got his jollies and got you upset. He won and he will continue until he stops winning. The fact that you addressed whatever stupid bullshit he was spewing means you have already lost.

You also don't seem to really understand how trolling works either. You don't have to "deserve" to be targeted by trolling. People try and find easy victims because they don't take a lot of effort to be riled up (and since they blow their top quickly it makes the tasty tears come in faster and tastier). Hell, the fact that we are having this thread would make him climax over how successful of a troll he was. And he is bad at trolling too, so he is getting the tears he doesn't deserve.

So my advice to you is to just ignore him. He's a retard and his opinions have zero weight. Which on the Internet your contributions and opinions are literally all anyone gives a shit about or judge you by. It's a great culture, no?

EDIT: homonyms

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

@Hungry: No, I haven't really posted to him in a negative way. I'm just telling you how I feel.

@konig_kei said:

If you just agree with him you will beat him.

Yeah, I kind of did something like that.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hungry

@NTM:

Ah okay, I understand. My point still stands though. He is a retard and has proven he is of zero value to you. Just ignore his ass, he is just a huge waste of time to even consider reading his posts, much less thinking they hold any value.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23  Edited By GERALTITUDE

There's nothing to be done save walk (er, browse) away. If said Troll is truly out of control flagging their messages may result in some respite. Like rightly noted, debates of any kind are mostly to be avoided on the internet. Maybe 1 in 10,000 occurrences involve some kind of respectful, mutually beneficial back and forth.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I miss being able to do this to Jay and not feel the slightest bit bad about it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

@Hungry: Oh, and I know the exact definition of what troll is, so I know how it works. He erased all of his comments. My point wasn't to say that I'm crying over it and getting so angry that I'm posting back to him like I'm defending myself at all costs, I'm just trying to say how this person was annoying, and the fact that this is such a rare occurrence it shocked me that this happened, and when something like that happens, like a few months back when someone tried to break into my house, I'll post about it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NTM

@Hungry: Thanks for your replies. Figuratively, I'm giving you a thumbs up.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hungry

@NTM:

Yeah no problem, I understand where you are coming from now. Trolling is a beautiful art form when it is done right, but people like that are just pieces of shit. Honestly, they put zero effort into it at all. It is like the people who whip out "umad??? LOLOLOLOLOL" the second they get the chance. It is like they are six year-olds. Damn kids.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@Hungry: I think he's going to get banned. I don't usually wish something bad to happen to anyone, but I think he deserves this, because it's almost like bullying, and if he's going to do that to someone else in the future, that's just not acceptable. I think Synthia, he you have seen her around on GameSpot, if you go to GameSpot, is going to do something about it. She contacted me through the private message. Alright, thanks. I already got off once to take a shower, but I got back on to respond to anyone else that had to say something. I'm now going to get off again since I finally have Halo 3! :D Bye now.

Edit: Halo 4, ha ha. Whoops!

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zomgfruitbunnies

Bad trolls piss people off. Good trolls make people laugh.

Don't feed the bad ones.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

Over on Cracked, there seems to be one person who consistently downvotes my comments. It's not even really tied to that particular comment's popularity, since I've seen it apply across A TON of them.

spartanlolz92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spartanlolz92

@Fredchuckdave said:

Debating is largely useless even if one participant greatly outdoes the other (unless there's a significant audience, even then not particularly useful); the internet is just a reflection of this taken to its logical extreme. Now as far as trolling goes sometimes its a good idea to make fun of people while you post your opinion of whatever, though this does require a sense of humor which may yet be uncommon. On the internet (and often in reality) I generally expect anyone and everyone to be a dumbass and am pleasantly surprised when they are not, if I write a personal message to someone it will probably be kind and straightforward but if I see an idiot acting like an idiot in a public forum I can not but attempt to troll them in some fashion. You shouldn't have much emotional attachment to whatever happens online though, anonymity does horrible things to people.

I find debating useless in general when dealing with the public at large.... its very hard to change someones mind especially if your not an expert on the subject at hand which lets face it is most of us.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is mostly why I am on this site now actually. I got trolled to hell on this other site and it was really immature and the staff would not do shit about it. I did not even give them a reason to troll me except I had a different opinion on some facts. I tried to stick around but alas, they were too big of assholes.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Hunter5024

I always try to deflect the situation with humor. It usually feels like my fault.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@NTM said:

Or, I don't know if that's the correct word, but I was wondering, has anyone else here posted on sites in good nature, and yet someone, an individual, has posted repeatedly negative comments toward you? I'm having this dilemma over at GameSpot,

There's your problem.
TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHumanDove

As the scholar Fred Durst once said, 'Keep trollin' trollin' trollin' trollin''

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@NTM: I know I have people who generally don't like me on here or have kept replying to me in an aggressive way in single threads, but I've never had anyone on any site hound me throughout a bunch of threads over a longer period of time, the closest I've ever come to that kind of thing is someone went out of their way on this site to create an alt to throw insults at me. If this happens to anyone here, just report it to the mod team and we'll deal with it, and even if it happens to you on another site I'd recommend trying to talk to the mods, it's worth a shot if it'll stop trolls. Thank you for posting this though, there's a myth that people being dicks to each other on the internet doesn't really affect anything, and I think this kind of scenario shows that's just not true.

Rumpleforeskin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rumpleforeskin

I always take solace in the fact that 99.999999999999999% of the people that do that sort of stuff on the Internet, were they ever to be in my physical presence, would not say a fucking word. Not that I am some Big Billy Badass, but those type of people usually hide behind the perceived anonymity the Internet gives them. I also always wonder if they just don't have anything better to do with their time.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kindgineer

I had these two red-necks once that harassed me in a game of Full-House Poker (and I mean to the extent of calling me some pretty rough stuff). I am a pretty easy-going guy so I just went with the punches until finally muting them. However, they apparently checked my friends list and added a couple of them, including my wife. About a day or two later (my profile tells that we are together) she comes to tell me that she was verbally abused the night before by these two guys who said they were my friends and that I told them to harass her. Obviously she knew it wasn't true, and the worst part was she isn't tech-savvy when it comes to the Xbox and didn't realize there was a mute button.

She was addicted to that game, which made me happy, but now she won't even touch it.

Fuck internet bullies.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NTM

@Turtlebird95: I don't know, GameSpot's usually a fine place. IGN's the place that nothing ever happens, and I guess that's the worst of it all. It's not so much people that are being idiots, it's just that whenever I post, I've never had anyone respond to it, or at least I don't believe, and it's awkward since people reply to my comments almost everywhere else. I guess it's not bad, it's just weird.

@SoothsayerGB: @Gamer_152: Synthia, a staff member there contacted me and told me she'd take care of the problem since she saw what he was doing. It truly bothered me for a little while, and then I became level headed again.

@Rumpleforeskin: Exactly.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NTM

@ck1nd: What the hell man. Sorry to hear that, that sucks. Ugh, that's annoying.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

Stop being a pussy and suck it up instead of crying to the staff. See what I'm doing here?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Video_Game_King

@laserbolts said:

Stop being a pussy and suck it up instead of crying to the staff. See what I'm doing here?

Encouraging a fault system that ultimately blames and harms the victim? Or are you satirizing it?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NTM

@laserbolts: I didn't cry to the staff. I didn't say anything to anyone, they just found it since they were reading comments. I'm hoping your kidding, but even if you aren't, my reply still stands.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

@laserbolts: Actually, I said that wrong, 'cause I told everyone here, but I really meant that I didn't tell anyone on that site. Me telling others here is really beside the point.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By envane

@NTM: strangely enough ive run into more of those ppl here than places like 4chan

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iam3green

yes, a few people thought i was trolling. i don't remember what i wrote but they were kind of like troll.

i feel like gamespot is the place for trolls. they're stupid stuff that goes on there.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By cornbredx

Yes, on this forum and others.  
Just report them if they are harassing you.  
I know Gamespot takes that stuff very seriously and are not afraid to ban people for troll harassment.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By laserbolts

Dude I was 100% kidding.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points