Trying to write a speech on Time Travel, Tips?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Venatio

So we have an assignment going on in school regarding speech writing, the theme is Mankind and Time, I chose to write about time travel 

I thought about speaking about the reality of the concept and uses of it in fiction, do you guys have any tips on the subject and and on giving a speech? Also, was The Time Machine by H.G. Wells the first use of it? Should I switch subject maybe?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

Travel into the future and watch yourself perform your speech, then travel back in time with the knowledge you gained from your future self.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Venatio
@BeachThunder said:
" Travel into the future and watch yourself perform your speech, then travel back in time with the knowledge you gained from your future self. "
Believe me, I've thought about that several times
Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Tylea002

Most people think time is a line. It's not, it's a wibbly wobbly ball of timey wimey stuff. 

Say that. 

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By blueduck

Sounds like you plan on taking a fun sounding topic and making it a boring as possible. 

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Venatio
@blueduck said:
" Sounds like you plan on taking a fun sounding topic and making it a boring as possible.  "
Well it IS a school assignment, can't just go up in front of the class and crack jokes
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blueduck
@Venatio said:
" @blueduck said:
" Sounds like you plan on taking a fun sounding topic and making it a boring as possible.  "
Well it IS a school assignment, can't just go up in front of the class and crack jokes "
Is the assignment about public speaking or about the subject your talking about?
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Venatio
@blueduck said:
" @Venatio said:
" @blueduck said:
Well it IS a school assignment, can't just go up in front of the class and crack jokes "
Is the assignment about public speaking or about the subject your talking about? "
Well we have a theme but it's mostly about public speaking
Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Cameron

What level are you preparing this for? High school? University? Graduate school? This will make a big difference in how you should approach this. If it's high school, go light on technical details and focus on interesting examples from fiction. If it's for university, go with more detail and choose only the best examples from other sources.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By finstern
Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Venatio
@Cameron said:
" What level are you preparing this for? High school? University? Graduate school? This will make a big difference in how you should approach this. If it's high school, go light on technical details and focus on interesting examples from fiction. If it's for university, go with more detail and choose only the best examples from other sources. "
Well I live in Sweden and I'm 17 so I guess I'm in high school by american standards
tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By tkalsey

PRO TIP: Quote Back to the future

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Venatio
@tkalsey said:
" PRO TIP: Quote Back to the future "
Of course, that's one of the highlights in my speech
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Dany

Read Slaughter House Five and mimic Billy Pilgrim. You will get mad props.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JasonR86
@Venatio: 
Spend the entire speech comparing the time travel principles brought up in Back to the Future, Timecop, and 12 Monkeys.
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By GunnBjorn
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ninjakiller

Write a causality loop at the end of  your speech so that as soon as you finish you must start it again.  

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By nick_verissimo

Just show a bunch of Doctor Who episodes.  That should do it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By jakob187

The Time Machine was definitely NOT the first instance of the concept.  People have theorized time travel since the BC times in fiction, literature, and "science".  The Time Machine simply turned it into a far more popular topic of discussion. 

Just make sure you include the words "gigawatts", "flux capacitor", and "Tardus"...and I think you'll do great. 

In all seriousness though... 

@ninjakiller said:

" Write a causality loop at the end of  your speech so that as soon as you finish you must start it again.   "
This is the best goddamn idea ever.  Don't just do it once, though.  Do it two or three times within the speech, and then when everyone looks dumbfounded, say "...and the look on your faces right now is time travel.  Congratulations."
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Emilio

There is no time like the present. It's a human idea after all. 

The future is your past, and the past was your future. Going back in time is not possible at this moment because there is no way to gather all that energy that once was, as a figurative shape, together at one time, for a few moments. 

And the future will never happen because there is no way of accessing it like a fast forward button. Especially since "Time" runs backwards. You end up going "forward" but in reality you're going towards a world that has been happening all at once for what seems so far to be your life. 

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Nux
@Tylea002:

Thats fom Doctor Who right? Thats a good one.
nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nrain

Well um, I'm a second year University Theoretical Physics student who contemplated writing an essay on time travel for an assignment a few months ago. If you want any kind of actual current theories on time travel then watching Stephen Hawking's documentary on it (you know the new series)  would be quickest and easiest way to semi understand it and enough to blag your way through some of your speech.   
If you want to go a little more advanced, have a read on the basics of special relativity and an overview of the "Twin Paradox", a way in which a twin can become younger than his brother by travelling on a high speed journey.   
Reading a little on General Relativity also gives time travelling scenarios in incredibly strong gravitational fields, however I haven't studied it yet and can't comment in any real depth other than it's cool :P

dabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dabe

Don't replicate Sam Neill.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By JP_Russell

Is this an actual speech class, or what?  I could give some general tips about speaking as I'm in a speech class in college right now, but if it's a speech class you're taking, yourself, then you probably already know most of the basics.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's me from the future to tell you that this thread has become spam.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I see none of you got the ivitation next thursday so I'll just go home".

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start it with this:

Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction, but I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you: they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm. You may wonder who I am or why I say this. Sit down, and I will tell you a tale like none that you have ever heard.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you bit off more than you could chew with this topic OP.