Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Joystick_Hero

The players

@hyuzen: as Hildegaard Orchardshire, the Halfling Ranger who rides around on a Lynx named "Smooch" and is absolutely deadly with her dual-wielded spears.

@twigger89: as Ghengis Khan, a "Human" Sorcerer who is distantly related to a dragon and enjoys setting things on fire.

@starvinggamer: as Sivi Celebwen, a Human Ranger who has unnatural skill at basically everything ever. Like, straight up Drizzt level skill.

@madman356647: as Rurik Lutgehr, a Dwarven Barbarian who channels his rage to strike down enemies and enjoys throwing things at other things.

@user_undefined: as Chandris Astorio, a Human Warlock who has a dark past. Accompanied by Tiberon, possibly the world's largest dog.

The Chronicles! (Until I figure out a better way to do this other than blogs!)

Session 01: The Beginning-ing

Session 02: Gerblins, Tigers, and Fire, Oh My!

Session 03: Rooftops and Sailboats

Session 04: Remember, This is a Sneaking Mission

Session 05: "Just Like Us"

The Recordings!

Session 04: Remember, This is a Sneaking Mission

Session 05: "Just Like Us"

Session 06: A Test

Giant Bomb One-Shots Found Here

(If you don't have Six hours to watch all of the one-shot, I would highly recommend the "Part 3" highlight.)

Madman356647 Wrote a Thing

Anything Else: D&D/Pathfinder

~Session 8 will take place on June 21st~

The Goal: Our heroes are going to try and get to the root of the Bliss problem in the city of Holbeck. What does Lefty know? Who is Euphoria? Why all the secrecy?

Current High Scores

No Caption Provided

======================================

Original post saved in a spoiler block for posterity:

Have you been looking for a life of adventure and daring-do?

Are you a fan of convoluted, often nearly nonsensical stories?

Do you want to attack the darkness?

If any of the above applies, I have just the thing:

Tuesday Night D&D

What is it?

Tuesday Night D&D is a weekly Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition game hosted through roll20. Play sessions are planned for Tuesdays, starting at ~3-4 PM PST and are expected to last approximately 3 hours.

What can I, the reader, expect?

This game will take place in a homebrewed setting, with just enough detail to allow a story to form within it. The basic premise involves a recently created adventurer’s guild and the antics the members get into as they try and grow their fame.

The technology level is standard adventure-y fare. Swords, magic, blacksmiths… If you’ve played a RPG you probably get it. Though, there’s always room for nonsense, like a wizard whose magic is a gun they created in a lab. How weird this will go is largely dependent on the players.

Who’s the DM?

My name is Brandon, and I’ve been running 5e games for friends and family for a little over 2 years now, starting with the starter set and growing from there. When not talking and rolling dice, I spend my time as an Electrical Engineering student. This does not mean I expect anyone to do calculus while playing the game.

My style of DM-ing is influenced from things like The Adventure Zone and earlier episodes of Acquisitions Inc.. I’m generally pretty loose with the rules, as I’d rather everyone had fun, rather than track how much a longsword weighs if it is silver plated.

What are the rules?

• You gotta have a microphone. Doesn’t need to be great, but it’s totally necessary to make gameplay move at a decent pace.
  • Characters are all going to be point-buy for stats, for balance reasons.
  • No homebrew races/classes. I’ll accept whatever is in an official WoC thing.
  • I’d really, really prefer it if people would avoid using really exotic races. I can always be persuaded otherwise with a good argument.
  • Follow President Obama’s Midnight Amendments. (Be cool, C’monnnnn, & Niiiiice).

I’m interested, but I’ve never played [D&D, on Roll20, etc.]

That’s totally cool, everyone starts from somewhere. I’m more than willing to help out new players, and as long as you’ve got patience, I have time. The basic rules are now available online for free through the SRD, so even if you don’t have any books, we can work it out. The only thing I ask is that if you have big questions, please try to ask before the actual play session so that things aren’t slowed down too much.

How do I, the reader, get in on this?

As a DM, I can really only support a maximum of 5 players. For the most part, this means getting into here is a first-come, first-served kind of situation. If you’re interested, go ahead and make a post on here. Even if the time doesn’t work out for you, I’m a little flexible so if demand is high I can make adjustments to the day/time. I'll send people links to the session sometime around the weekend.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By StarvingGamer

Man it's been a long time since I've played D&D, and now that I've moved across the country from the rest of my friends/family, this might be my best shot at it. Of course, I'm a full-time homemaker so my participation would come with the caveat that I might suddenly need to duck out for a minute or two to change a diaper or stop a bloody nose or something. I'll tentatively throw my hat into the ring here because I'm definitely interested, particularly in trying some 5e. Maybe I could turn my Tuesdays into Chipotle night so I don't also have to worry about preparing dinner :P

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

Man, I've been thinking about playing D&D in a new group, but that time doesn't work for me at all. Good luck and have fun.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Short play breaks are generally a good idea anyway. I'm totally fine with it.

jhuteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jhuteh

Hey man, I literally just made a giantbomb account to say I'd totally be down for this--normally I just watch their videos and stuff but I saw this one the front page and had to say something. I have played a lot of D&D, Pathfinder, ect. in my time but I am always, always the DM. A chance to get in as a player would be fantastic, and I've never actually gotten to play 5th edition as a player at all despite having read the PHB cover to cover. So, if you've got room for me let me know, I'm already on roll20 as I run some games there, so I could get in real quick!

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't participate, but you guys should record this if at all possible. Would definitely listen to it in podcast form.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm going to talk to my wife (we have 3 kids under 4) and see if I can fit something in like that. I would absolutely love to do something like this.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Hyuzen

Well I'm getting married soon, so things in the near future may be a little bit hectic, but I've been DMing with friends for a couple years and have been itching to play as a character again, so I'm in.

I DM a 5e campaign so I'm pretty familiar with the rules, have the rule books, but haven't used roll20 before.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds awesome, particularly your mentioning of the Adventure zone which I think is th perfect reference for what I am looking for. If you are still taking people I would love to join!

Avatar image for deactivated-5916032775b9d
deactivated-5916032775b9d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey there - I've never played, but i do have the 5e player's handbook and have been hoping to find a virtual group to game with. Unfortunately, I can't reliably free myself up until my wife & son are in bed (6pm pst) so please keep me in mind if you end up moving this to later in the day!

IAmADwagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quantris said:

I can't participate, but you guys should record this if at all possible. Would definitely listen to it in podcast form.

Seconding this. If that doesn't work, regular blog updates would be great.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Joystick_Hero

I've got tentative plans to record using OBS for a podcast kind of thing. It's kind of up to the people who are in the game whether they want to be recorded.

jhuteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being recorded doesn't bother me. I'm not very entertaining, though.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Put my name down if anyone decides to leave.

JPPT1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind being recorded as like Jhuteh says, I am not very entertaining either. But oh well.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ayup, why not record?

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#17 sweep  Moderator

Put me down on the waiting list, have wanted to try D&D for ages.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Joystick_Hero

Looks like I'll be recording then. First session might not yield much worth listening to, since it's going to be just us talking about the world and characters and stuff, but I might put a "world building: abridged" thing up for it or something.

The original plan for recording was for my personal use ('cause I'm still trying to improve as a DM, and it's kind of hard to listen to yourself as you speak) and a 10-minute "highlight" video that was going to be for the players to remind them what happened.

Since there's some interest, I'll also put them up on here, though I cannot guarantee that it'll be "professional". It'll probably be fun though, and that's the important part, I suppose.

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If someone drops out and a spot becomes open, I'd love to get in on this.

I have been playing various roleplaying games since I was 12 years old (19ish years) from Basic D&D, up to Pathfinder, with a bit of Shadowrun and Call of Cthulhu along the way. Never done 5th Edition though.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I can't commit to a real group as I'm already part of one, but if you're ever looking to do some one shots of other systems or something I wouldn't mind getting in on those. My current group is hoping to one day produce something listenable so I definitely don't mind being recorded.

I don't have a ton of experience DMing, but I've been playing a variety of systems for about 6 years. Talking to someone about DMing or your current campaign can be a big help, so if you ever want to bounce ideas off of someone or anything, feel free to PM me on here. Tabletop Roleplaying has recently become something I'm fairly passionate about, so anything I can do to help it grow.

Also, I'd recommend the Oneshot Network of podcasts. They do a bunch one shots of different systems as well as have a long-running campaign set in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. James D'Amato and Kat Kuhl are amazing DMs and their podcasts have had a huge influence on the way I approach gaming these days.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweep said:

Put me down on the waiting list, have wanted to try D&D for ages.

I could maybe run a one shot if we had people interested.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yothatlimp: If you're open, there's definitely enough interest in this specific timeslot to run a game with at least four without too much problem. You should go for it, if they're all game.

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

If there's a waiting list and spillover please put me down on either list.

madman356647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id be down for something if you need people. Im new-ish (one night of Pathfinder) but im down for more!

weapongod30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw too bad. I would have been super down for this. I've been itching to play D&D again ever since the last game I played fell apart a year and a half ago or so. Mark me down as interested if someone else has spots open for a 5E game though!

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By YoThatLimp

Anyone that is interested send me a PM, I'll do a little research and get a 5E one-shot put together.

Include time/days that work best for you as well.

I can do up to 5, like OP. I don't care how much experience you have, we can make it work!

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First session went well, mostly just spent time getting used to Roll20, and building our characters. Nothing really of note to record this time out, but next week is sure to be a hum-dinger. Or something.

Still plan on posting audio of our excursions, once things get rolling.

User_Undefined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By User_Undefined

I probably missed it, but if there's a spot still open, I'd love to join in.

Edit: As I posted this, it seems the open spot filled. Drat.

GamerFiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, great. Any chance I can get apart of this?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Man I'd love to get in on this - I've just started watching Critical Role which is my first real insight into D&D (other than D&D based games such as Baldur's Gate, which I love). I really want to get in to a D&D group but don't know how. Also have a 1 year old son and a child on the way restricts that.

This group would be great except I live in Sydney, So 3 - 4 pm PST is 8-9am the next day (I live in the future!), when I am alas, at work.

I'll follow this thread - sounds like a great idea.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I wrote a blog that goes over what's happened in this first session! So far, it only covers the first half of the session, should be filled in the rest of the way by the weekend. I'll try to throw other updates into the original post.

twigger89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yesterday was my first real experience with DnD and I loved it. It helped immensely that everyone was incredibly patient and understanding with each other (particularly about all the lovely quirks of roll20). I didn't expect so much in-fiction dialogue, but it really helped flesh out the universe. All aboard the Sivi hype train!

robbparris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hah, the blog was really cool! I'm curious t keep up with this and see where you guys go with it! And who's the first one to die!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm, maybe Sivi should start keeping a journal so I can flex my writing muscles some more.

The first session was a ton of fun. I'm excited for Monday because, yo, some Goblins need to diediedie.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another week, another blog post. I think I'm getting better at writing these things. At least, there's more comedy in there.

I'm thinking of doing a one-shot game for Roll20 Con, which is on Friday, June 3rd. Maybe on Saturday, June 4th, if it'd work better for people. I'll be planning it around interest, so this could give folks who want to play a dumb thing a chance to do so. I'll PM the spillover list, but if anyone else is up, be sure to PM me so that I can work out a time. Minor spoiler: The One-Shot would be a well-known, deadly affair. But not the Tomb of Horrors. I'm not that mean.

Being experienced with tabletop games would be recommended if you're interested. I mean, this thing eats folks up.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mmm, maybe I should try to run a game of The Sprawl for Roll20 Con... even though I haven't GMed in like... 8 years?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nice work guys

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: I think my DMing is proof that you don't necessarily have to be a well-practiced GM in order to run a fun game. :p

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joystick_hero: You have a really good DM voice. Like, you sound like a DM to me.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Joystick_Hero

The illusion is maintained!

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another week, another blog. I'm still technically open for more players for a one-shot on June 4, though I'd probably need to hear back pretty quick if you're interested. Details are in the top-most spoiler block in the original post.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another week, and yet another blog post. Or rather, half a blog post. I'm sleepy, and wanted to promote the stream I'll be running at least a day in advance of the actual event.

As soon as I finish this ethics presentation, I'll be able to finish the blog. Stupid ethics getting in the way of FUN.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of my fun is free-range and fair trade. We here at Joystick-co grow fun the old fashioned way: in large metal vats filled with a viscous purple liquid of indeterminate nature. If you peer into the murky depths for too long, you'll see faint visions of how you'll inevitably die.

Just like grandma used to bake! Wholesome, family owned fun.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finished the blog for session 4, and updated the first post so that interested parties can listen in on a live session I hosted. Just as a word of warning, my microphone levels ran a bit "hot", so it may be a bit of a rough listen. Still, good times were had by all.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Joystick_Hero

Posting because I did yet another blog! Awesome! Whee! You can find it HERE.

Going to be honest. I'm burning out on writing thousands of words a week for "funsies". So, I got the go-ahead to start posting the sessions, in their entirety, to YouTube. You'll get to listen/watch people play D&D, I won't have to write as much (I'll still post things relating to homebrew nonsense I make), it's good for everyone! So look for that in the coming... Uh. Forever(?).

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Joystick_Hero

I've started adding the recordings for the sessions to the main post. This is going to effectively replace my blog posting, as it is infinitely easier than writing thousands of words a week. Look forward to the videos catching up to where we are currently over the rest of the week.

I will note that session 4 starts a bit late and there's weirdness with the chat window in the lower right. It gets better after that session, as I started recording with the intention of other people actually watching the thing.

Edit: I just realized that the videos have the breaks still included in them. So, uh, I'll fix that in future uploads. Be prepared to fast-forward about 5 minutes at a couple points in the first two episodes.

madman356647

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because I could, I had written a bit about doing DnD as a total newbie. If you're interested in reading it, you can find it here.

If y'all like what I'm doing here, I'm willing to keep it going every so often (at current, I write about one thing a week on this blog) or at least explain what I was (or wasn't) thinking with some of my choices.

Joystick_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Joystick_Hero

Sixth Session recording has been added to the original post! As of this post, it's about 90% processed by Youtube. I won't complain.

I'm currently working on a blog post about adventure construction, so look forward to that thing.