• 84 results
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nemt

I'm watching Billy Madison on MTV and it's way at the end. Apparently they can't say "psycho" now?

What is this I don't even

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think I've heard the word "clip" censored in a rap video on TV.  Clip as in the wrong terminology for a gun's magazine.  Pretty retarded.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

Yeah, the worst I've ever heard, had to be Die Hard 2. I mean, it's kind of a different case of course, but since you made this and it is about censorship, I thought I'd add something. Anyways, in Die Hard 2, they added someone else's voice that sounded nothing like Bruce Willis on about almost every other sentence. 

Oh! here it is. Listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQP4d_r_Gs I couldn't embed it since it was disabled.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

MTV has their own weird sets of standards because they have to make sure they aren't petitioned or boycotted by their fragile teen audience. So don't assume what's on MTV goes for everybody.

FX doesn't censor shit as an example.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM said:
Yeah, the worst I've ever heard, had to be Die Hard 2. I mean, it's kind of a different case of course, but since you made this and it is about censorship, I thought I'd add something. Anyways, in Die Hard 2, they added someone else's voice that sounded nothing like Bruce Willis on about almost every other sentence. 

Oh! here it is. Listen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQP4d_r_Gs I couldn't embed it since it was disabled.
Uhhhhhh.  So bad, I had to stop listening.
UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UnrealDP

Everyone knows about it and it's already pretty prolific, but the television safe version of the Big Lebowski is unwatchable! What happens when you "Find a stranger in the Alps"?

Weird, i can't find a good video of it on youtube. Even a direct search leads me to garbage.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By kashif1
@nemt said:

I'm watching Billy Madison on MTV and it's way at the end. Apparently they can't say "psycho" now?

What is this I don't even

There is your problem
Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burzmali

Wow that's pretty bad. My most recent* favorite censorship is from the radio: cutting out "breastfeed" in Eminem's "My Name Is." Apparently, if they left in breastfeed, then the audience would know what other word they were cutting out in the line "how you gonna breastfeed me, mom, you ain't got no ___s". Meanwhile, Foster the People's "Pumped Up Kicks" gets no censorship. School shooting is okay, breastfeeding is bad.

*I mean recent in that I just recently heard this. I know the song is from the late 90s.

And if you love ridiculous substitutions in movies shown on TV, you should find a clip of the scene from The Big Lebowski where Walter is beating up a car and shouting "this is what happens when you fuck a stranger in the ass!" The TV edit is "this is what happens when you find a stranger in the alps." Gold.

donkeyscrotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By donkeyscrotes

@NTM: Sweet Jesus that is baaaaaddd!

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Burzmali

@UnrealDP: Ah, you beat me to it.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By UnrealDP

@Burzmali:

Eh your post had more detail, so you deserve it more, but i've actually sat through the TV edit of that movie, so i deserve a medal or copious amounts of money or.....

Coonfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Coonfish
@Doctorchimp said:

MTV has their own weird sets of standards because they have to make sure they aren't petitioned or boycotted by their fragile teen audience. So don't assume what's on MTV goes for everybody.

LOL...FX censors too.  Probably the worst censor ever...or the funniest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A&feature=related
Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find TV censorship pretty funny. Scarface on TV is pretty entertaining.  I think the people that do them actually find fun in it.
Some of i is just bad though and there needs to be just a common census on what is ok and what is not. Different networks have different standard I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Coonfish said:
@Doctorchimp said:

LOL...FX censors too.  Probably the worst censor ever...or the funniest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A&feature=related
I'm sure he meant FX doesn't censor the word 'shit' on a lot of shows it has. Not as in 'they don't censor shit' as in anything.
Coonfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Coonfish
@EveretteScott said:
@Coonfish said:
@Doctorchimp said:

LOL...FX censors too.  Probably the worst censor ever...or the funniest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A&feature=related
I'm sure he meant FX doesn't censor the word 'shit' on a lot of shows it has. Not as in 'they don't censor shit' as in anything. 

Ah yes...I guess I needed the quotes :-)
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By AlexW00d

Tbf when I was in the US a few weeks ago I watched Goodfellas at like 4 in the afternoon and they censored none of the violence. NONE. It was fucking stupid. They did censor the bad language though which is what I thought was weird. If they're going to censor the language but not the violence, why don't they just wait and play the film at like 9pm.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

That's why you never watch movies on TV.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nemt

@EveretteScott said:

@Coonfish said:
@Doctorchimp said:

LOL...FX censors too. Probably the worst censor ever...or the funniest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A&feature=related

I think they can only say shit after 10pm.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Kyreo

@crusader8463 said:

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Muerthoz

The way I understand it, cable and satellite channels don't have to follow the same rules as regular over the air stations When you see something censored on cable/sat, it's because they're doing it according to their own internal guidelines. 

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By audiosnow

But if they stopped censoring TV, then parents would have to take responsibility instead of having the television raise their children! That would be hard work! And we all know how awful hard tasks are...

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#23  Edited By natetodamax

Monkey fightin snakes on this Monday to Friday plane.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Watch Louie if you want to see what the opposite of that is like.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Vito_Raliffe said:

You're a cunt who came out of a cunt's cunt!

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By gamb1t

America is fucked in the head.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Harkat

It pisses me off when words like "gun" are censored in rap music. 

"Cuz you the police and plus I saw you cocking your ____, and the chamber wasn't empty it was obviously one"

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By BulletproofMonk

@dudeglove: That never fails to make me laugh.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Doctorchimp said:

This this this, 
Random88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Random88
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's not just the US:

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By N7

@Vito_Raliffe said:

Or just watch Louie if you want to watch the funniest show on TV.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By Afroman269

Censorship here is weird. That one episode of Louie straight up had a chick begging Louie to fill her up with a bag of dicks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I am so use to TV censorship that when I first heard the word "shit" on South Park it blew my mind.  Like someone said earlier cable channels don't need to censor their content.  The reason they do is because of advertisement.  Apparently companies like Coca Cola and McDonald's don't want to sponsor shows with bare breast and foul language. They are okay with the rotting corpses and gruesome violence of police procedurals like CSI, Bones, and Criminal Minds.  

I know this argument has been done to death but I think it is crazy that I live in a country where consensual sex and casual nudity are seen as more deplorable then killing a human being. 

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I don't understand why you can't say 'fuck' or show sex on tv, but you can show the most graphically violent images. The FCC has weird standards.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@Video_Game_King said:

It's not just the US:

And what's the original?

bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bicycleham
@nemt said:

@EveretteScott said:

@Coonfish said:
@Doctorchimp said:

LOL...FX censors too. Probably the worst censor ever...or the funniest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A&feature=related

I think they can only say shit after 10pm.

Words like "shit", which are classified as lower curses aren't censored after about 9:30 PM or so.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By GreggD

From Half Baked on Comedy Central: "Oh, and pick me up some of that stuff...I used to eat it all the time back in the day...oh yeah, pudding!" Pudding is apparently pussy in the original? I've actually only ever seen the TV edit.

Oh, and the best thing about the Hot Fuzz DVD was the "Hot Funk" extra, where they cut together all of the TV edited scenes. If you haven't seen it, you really should.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikeGosot

When i watched Spider-Man the other day, they removed the audio in certain parts.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By laserbolts
@dudeglove It's been a while since I've seen that clip. Hahaha thank you
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By Video_Game_King
@OllyOxenFree said:

@Video_Game_King said:

It's not just the US:

And what's the original?

"We can all be turds."
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm glad we don't have TV censorship here in The Netherlands, because some of the examples you guys have given make me want to do bad things to myself.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kashif1
@Video_Game_King said:
@OllyOxenFree said:

@Video_Game_King said:

It's not just the US:

And what's the original?

"We can all be turds."
Plank is funnier
vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Depends on the channel.

At least you guys have TV-shows about cancer-ill chemistry teachers who cook meth.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By HandsomeDead

After years of seeing Die Hard on ITV, I was amazed when I saw it on DVD and found out it's McClane throwing the body out the window to welcome Al to the party, pal. A pretty odd edit that I don't even think they do on ITV2.

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By 1337W422102
@crusader8463 said:

Other than channels that don't censor stuff, or uncut movies at night, like on the CBC.
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By haggis

Cable TV channels actually have very little censorship. Because they're not "broadcast" in the same way the four major networks are, they aren't subject to the same FCC limits. Basically, those channels can do whatever the hell they want, especially after 10pm. Nearly all the censorship on cable TV channels is self-imposed--ie., they are looking to avoid boycotts.

I mean, every once in a while you get odd things in those shows. I was watching Suits the other day, and forgot it was on a cable network. When they start throwing around the word "shit" it's a little jarring. I'm still not quite used to it, after all these years of regular network censorship. Honestly, censorship is basically disappearing from TV these days, especially on cable. That's a good thing. It's certainly not getting worse except for a few PC things that the network avoids. You don't hear them saying "faggot" or "retard" much. Although I did hear "dyke" the other week on one show, and "twat" on another.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jazzycola

Actually today, I was watching Mr. Deeds on FX and they censored out 'shat'. It was during the first date of Deeds and that chick they go into the restaurant and Deeds punches the fat dude into the table and he goes "I think I shat myself". I don't even think they bothered to dub over it just left it blank.

Honestly though the worst censoring is radio(non-sirius of course). Jeez I remember driving a friend to work and she wanted to listen to the radio and that "Fuck you" song came on and it was so chopped up I could barely understand what he was saying. Once they even played a song that cut out an entire verse from the song so half the song sounded like it was an instrumental (it had something to do with gun violence). I think it's the reason why radio DJs have such a limited selection when it comes to playlist (well one of the main reasons). My alarm clock is set to play the radio and I swear I wake up to the same Britney Spears song every day.

kinapuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kinapuff

@crusader8463 said:

Aye, pretty much. I personally would have the broadcasters be more vary of the content they're distributing as well as WHEN they're doing it, and let us, the viewers/parents decide whether said content is decent enough.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By benpicko
@kashif1 said:
@Video_Game_King said:
@OllyOxenFree said:

@Video_Game_King said:

It's not just the US: