TV shows that you thought ended or got cancelled too early.

• 126 results
ungratefuldead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ungratefuldead

My name is Earl.

You people are monsters for not mentioning it!

This. I was beginning to lose hope that it would be mentioned.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By cornbredx

Freaks and Geeks was great but I didn't actually watch it when it came out (That was the year I graduated high school) so I cant say that I'm bummed and the end of that season it doesn't really matter if it has another. It just kinda feels like life goes on. And to be fair most of those actors went on to do bigger and better things.

Brimstone ended too soon. I liked the premise and it only lasted like 6 episodes (most of you probably have never heard of it as it was on for like 6 episodes 20 years ago or something).

Deadwood was a great show. Why the hell did it cancelled? Oh well, to late now to care but it means I cant ever buy the DVDs because it would be pointless as the story just cuts off. I really hate being reminded of a show that just ends that was fun to watch.

Edit: arrested Development was a show that feels like it was cancelled early but Netflix "brought it back" sort of and... it's just weird. It's not terrible but what with them clearly not being able to film on the same day since all of them moved on to other stuff, and them picking up where the last episode was and them all aging considerably- its really weird.

So, even though I hate that certain shows were cancelled they were so long ago now they cant ever come back. Arrested Development shows us why that just doesn't work. The whole dynamic of the show will change and not necessarily for the better.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By penguindust

@echoecho said:

Space: Above and Beyond. The first (and only) season started off with its fair share of occasional awkwardness, but by the time they got to the last leg of the season the writers and actors were really hitting their stride and the quality was taking a sharp turn upward.

This. Certainly a show ahead of its time. Too expensive and unexceptional ratings led to an early demise. What's worse is that it ended on a cliffhanger. I know everyone laments Firefly, but for me, Space Above and Beyond will always be the best show never given its proper due.

Wonderfalls was excellent, too. I loved its quirky charm but, like a lot of FOX shows, it got canned way too early.

One I'll mention which I don't think has, and it might be good for many of us that it did get axed is Richard Dean Anderson's Legend. It was similar to The Adventures of Brisco County Jr, so that probably contributed to its cancellation. I really enjoyed the interplay between Anderson and John DeLance. There haven't been too many western-comedies on TV and for a brief time, there were two. Of course, since it was canned, it led Anderson to Stargate SG1.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By ShadyPingu

Pushing Daisies. The premise was probably limited in how long they could keep it engaging, but they sure as hell deserved more than they got. That show was just delightful.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

weekenders, it only got 3 seasons and ended on quite a weak episode.

RobotSquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terminator: The Sarah Conner Chronicles

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Firefly, Torchwood, Deadwood, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Reaper and Twin Peaks.
Oh and Chuck, duh

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have liked to have seen more American Gothic. It's been almost a decade since I last saw the show and I was pretty young when it was on, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. It's also the reason why every time I see Gary Cole in something I can't help but call him Sheriff Buck.

And speaking of Gary Cole, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some more Harvey Birdman.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Beyond and Samurai Jack

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Carnivale is a fascinating show. Just utterly fascinating. I'm sad that it didn't get the audience it deserved in order to justify its budget. If that show happened five years later (the golden age of television right now) it'd probably be doing monster numbers for HBO. Sadly, not a lot of people were watching quality television in its time.

Deadwood is another show that deserved a more fitting end. Season 3 is by no means bad, but the general arc of its characters didn't feel done. There was still at least a season or two left of story, and I thought that Swerengen and Sheriff Broody were just starting to get to an interesting place in their game for the town. I'm still baffled as to why it never got picked p for a 4th season. Probably money.

Brimstone is a weird one. It's an old show (like, turn of the century) about a cop who murders a man who raped his wife in cold blood. So he's damned, he goes to hell, and Satan (played by the slimy TV executive from Gremlins 2) decides to put him to use by offering him a deal. Hunt 13 escaped souls on Earth for him, bring them back to Hell, and you get out. The cop and the devil had pretty good chemistry from what I remember. I'm not sure if the writing quality was bad, if the show just didn't catch on, or if it was Fox deciding to be, well, Fox. Sadly it's long gone.

Twin Peaks. I don't think I need to justify a season 3 for this show. While the back end of season 2 dipped in quality and meandered around trying to find something else to do, during the last five or six episodes of the series it found its focus again. It got really interesting. Then, of course, David Lynch returned to direct the last two episodes of the series, and they were a complete mind-fuck. Excellent television with a great cast of characters. Goddamn shame we'll never see a conclusion.

And finally, Titus. Another Fox show that was cut down in its prime. The reasoning for this is pretty clear given that Christopher Titus has said he got the show canceled by pissing off TV suits. It's too bad, too, since the show was utterly dark and cynical in its portrayal of Titus and his family. These were shitty people and that only heightened the laughs of the show. Great writing, great comedic acting, great everything. The episode where the dad dies (I think it was the pilot) is probably one of favourite episodes of a comedy show ever. Definitely Top 5. The punchline is just hysterical. Can't say enough good things about this show.

That's it for me. That's all I can think of at the moment, anyhow. Now it seems like shows go on too long and seem to limp casually to the finish line. I'm still of the opinion that Supernatural ended with season 5 and everything going on now is strictly What If bullshit. It's the only way I can justify the show still existing.

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Farscape had an amazing run and I don't feel shortchanged one bit. Real quality four seasons. But the way Sy-Fy had committed the team to five seasons, but then backed out and pulled the funding while they were wrapping up the fourth is a damned shame. All the story lines led to that eventual fifth season, so we got left with the mother of all cliff-hangers. Granted it did give us all one hell of a series finale, till they then rescinded the order of canceling a fifth season and turned it into a 3 hour mini-series instead.

Firefly is a big one for me. As is Touching Evil (the US version), which starred Jeffery Donovan and was tragically cut down after only 13 eps. That show was solid and it would have been great to see more of those characters.

Roger778

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Roger778

1. Futurama: It just finished its last season earlier this month, and I felt like tearing up as I watched the last episode. I wish it would keep going, because I'm going to miss that show.

2. Firefly

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Firefly, but it did end well. The last few shows were very good. The movie wasn't good. maybe it ended at just the right time.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@walkertr77: There are maybe 10 people who watched rubicon, but those 10 know it was amazing. What's weird is how amc's basically buried the show - I don't think there is any way of watching it legally at this point.

I loved Rubicon and would gladly watch another season of that show.

The one show that I would kill to get a new season is Deadwood. I hate David Milch because of the shit he pulled on that show though. HBO offered him a six episode season to finish the show off proper, and the creator of Deadwood said that he would work on a full season or no season. That was the end of Deadwood.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Carnivale
  • Rome
TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By TheHumanDove

• Deadwood
  • Rome
  • LOST
  • FRINGE
  • TOUCH
  • Burn Notice
  • Twin Peaks

Pretty much the best of TV right there.

But Lost ended when it was supposed to and Fringe is still going.

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Lost, Flashfoward, and Gossip Girl for me

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I like that this is the first response.

• Firefly
  • Pushing Daisies
  • Terriers
  • Wonderfalls
  • Dead Like Me
  • Deadwood

4 of those 6 I can vouch for right now. I should watch Wonderfalls. Noted. Oh, and Mandy Patinkin is in Dead Like Me? I should watch Dead Like Me. Noted. From what I've seen, Bryan Fuller seems quite alright by me. Hopefully Hannibal doesn't end up on this list next year, I've really liked it so far.

I'd also add:

• Rome
  • Better Off Ted
  • Happy Endings
  • Party Down
Avatar image for deactivated-650f737f2e2d5
deactivated-650f737f2e2d5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadwood was a great show. Why the hell did it cancelled?

Because David Milch is a fucking idiot.
I'll agree with everyone that said Deadwood. That show was great. Also agree with Sarah Conner Chronicles, even though the Riley story from season 2 was not enjoyable. And I don't think anyone has mentioned it, but Veronica Mars was really good.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

Chuck definitely. I loved that show and want more!

Hey man, we were lucky to get nearly 100 episodes over 5 seasons. On any other network, with the ratings it had, Chuck would have been cancelled after the first season. Luckily NBC's expectations are far lower than ABC and especially CBS (and the Subway product placement didn't hurt either). I think the fact that a show like Chuck made it as long as it did and was able to end on its own terms was a minor miracle.

@slashdance said:

Probably in the minority but I really liked the characters in Stargate Universe. I was bummed to see it go.

Dude, I'd watch Richard Dean Anderson for fuckin' forever.

Richard Dean Anderson was on Stargate SG-1 (which lasted for 10 years). Stargate Universe was a shitty spin off that basically killed the Stargate TV franchise.

devoidcheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

get a life...best tv show ever, should not have ended after two seasons

Avatar image for bjorntheunicorn
BjornTheUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I really, really enjoyed the two seasons that Enlightened had and was really bummed when it got cancelled, especially since it seemed like it was picking up a bigger viewership towards its final weeks. I definitely think it'll be regarded as one of the best shows of this era a few years from now. I hope Mike White starts writing some more stuff again soon.

devoidcheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#74  Edited By devoidcheeks

get a life - chris elliot is a god

moondogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slashdance: I was iffy on it at the start but by the time it got to the end, I was also quite bummed to see it go.

There is an Australian show called 'The Strange calls' it would have been nice to get at least a second season, but the critics for some reason hated it. And it was one the ABC so not many people watched it.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Better off Ted deserved more than two seasons.

As did Party Down, although at least that show had a really good conclusion.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Deadwood
  • Rome
  • LOST
  • FRINGE
  • TOUCH
  • Burn Notice
  • Twin Peaks

LOST, FRINGE and Burn Notice should have ended on season 1.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

• Angel
  • Dollhouse
  • Firefly
  • Hopefully not Agents of SHIELD
TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By TyCobb

Family Guy... twice! Now the show is still on and kind of wish it wasn't.

@a_e_martin said:
  • Deadwood
  • Rome
  • LOST
  • FRINGE
  • TOUCH
  • Burn Notice
  • Twin Peaks

LOST, FRINGE and Burn Notice should have ended on season 1.

Don't you dare talk about Burn Notice! However, I am shocked it got listed as ending too early. It was on for 7 seasons and had a proper ending instead of just being cancelled in the middle of a cliff hanger.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

• Alphas
  • Dollhouse
  • Life on Mars
  • V
  • Flash Forward
  • The Killing
  • The Borgias
  • The River
  • Alcatraz
  • Outsourced
  • The Event
  • Life
  • The 4400
  • Invasion
  • Awake

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fringe is still going.

No it's not. The last season was it's final one.

My first answer to this question will probably always be Pushing Daisies. I really loved that show. Which led to me renting Wonderfalls(same creator) from Netflix, which was also ended too early. I was also enjoying Golden Boy, which had the dude from Pushing Daisies in it(Chi McBride).

Avatar image for deactivated-6082f30752bdc
deactivated-6082f30752bdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spaced was a really good show, so was Firefly.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By HerbieBug

Rubicon is one of the few... no, um, two television programs I have had any interest in in the past several years. Cancelled after one season. Blah,. :(

I would be interested in a Rubicon movie or something. It would be cool if they did that (they won't).

Novis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

John Doe anyone? Anyone? Guess I'm the only one.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb: Well maybe not Burn Notice, although the last two seasons were a stretch.

Alright, i'm replacing Burn Notice with Prison Break as a show that should have ended on season 1.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tycobb: Well maybe not Burn Notice, although the last two seasons were a stretch.

Alright, i'm replacing Burn Notice with Prison Break as a show that should have ended on season 1.

I'm confused, I thought we were talking about shows that ended too early, not shows that should have ended sooner.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: You're the best for remembering Brimstone, too =)

Great show.

Oh it was more like 113, or some weird number, and ya John Glover as Satan was so fucking good. He had that character nailed- probably his best performance ever.

@silentpredator: That reasoning seems really reductive. I suspect there was more going on then him just wanting to write a surfing show. That article doesn't really "prove" anything about why it was cancelled.

I suspect artistic differences. I mean, you can write for more than one show, it happens all the time.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#88  Edited By YI_Orange

@starvinggamer: Is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D actually good? I saw the pilot and left feeling very indifferent. I'm familiar with Joss Whedon through Buffy, Angel, and Firefly though, so I know his stuff can have a ramp up.

All the people saying Angel are crazy. Season 5 was incredible and the finale was one of the best hours of television ever produced. I thought it ended in a fantastic spot. There was no way they were going to top that season.

Anyway, my list is basically Firefly. I used to think Arrested Development, but I'm starting to think that three seasons is plenty.

I'm sure I'll add Deadwood when I get through that, seems interesting.

bilbomarks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My name is Earl.

You people are monsters for not mentioning it!

THIS and Freaks and Geeks.

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#90  Edited By Darson

Southland, SouthLAnd, SOUTHLAND!

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@yi_orange: Yes, Angel had a pretty great last season, but the entire thing felt rushed. Whedon was forced to end it prematurely because he overplayed his hand with the studio and they were forced to decline renewing them for a sixth season.

As far as Agents of SHIELD goes, well, I'm 100% the target demo so I'm probably not the one to ask. A lot of people I know have expressed disappointment in it but I'm loving it. Episode 1 was a pilot and those are always a bit iffy and episode 2 was admittedly weak, but episodes 3 and 4 really ramped things up. They sort of felt like an action version of the X-Files. It's not as Whedony as his other stuff but I can see it getting there gradually. If you're a fan of Marvel / Whedon then I'd say give it a few more episodes. If I judged every TV series based on its pilot, I would never have gotten into any of my favorite shows.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#92  Edited By Omega

I would have liked to have seen a 4th season of Avatar: The last Airbender. Apparently they had a 4th "book" planned then Nickelodeon was all like, "Nah, were good"

Legend of Korra is great but I still wonder about what could have been.

knifeoframbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By knifeoframbo

The Killing, would've liked to see a few more seasons

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By iceman228433

terminator the sarah connor chronicles.

EchoEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman: Beyond and Samurai Jack

Man, I'd somehow forgotten about Batman Beyond... but fuck was I disappointed when it got cancelled. I think that was the last animated TV show I was ever really into. I remember it getting a lot of flack when it was new, because it wasn't "the real Batman", but it was a damn good show, and it seems to have gotten a lot more of the recognition it deserved since its demise.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: Ah yes. I have heard of Stargate Universe, though I read his post as "The Stargate Universe."

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Enlightened. That show is incredible

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The Black Donnellys

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: Is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D actually good? I saw the pilot and left feeling very indifferent. I'm familiar with Joss Whedon through Buffy, Angel, and Firefly though, so I know his stuff can have a ramp up.

So far I've found it pretty god damn awful. Marvel has been doing a great job of creating MCU movies that walk a good line between drama and comedy. Agents of SHIELD is an example where they have (so far) completely tripped over themselves. This show is the first major series that the majority of the actors have been in, and their acting shows it. Action scenes look terribly choreographed.

Also, the audience is bludgeoned to death with script writing that wants to make damn sure that you know the themes in each episode. For example, the second episode is suppose to showcase the team's struggle to work together. Coulson literally calls their objective a "team building mission." Obviously, the characters initially have some trouble working as a cohesive unit. One of the reasons for this is because one of the main characters, Grant Ward, is a bad-ass commando who's trained to complete the mission on his own. The episode does not show an instance where his previous lone-wolf training has ill-equipped him for working as a team. Instead, they have a one-on-one conversation scene where he literally tells someone that he's "trained to complete missions on his own."

It's weird to see this show be aired in primetime. The acting, writing, and CGI feels way more in line with Saturday morning kids shows.