#1 Edited by Cloak (19 posts) -

I've been catching the Beastcast here and there and they referencing their LG OLED TV quite often. I'm not sure which episode started all this, but I don't think they ever give the specific model number (or maybe I just missed that episode). My TV is probably 10 plus years old at this point, and it's time for an upgrade; is this the TV they've been talking about?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/lg-55-4k-uhd-hdr-oled-webos-smart-tv-oled55b8p-only-at-best-buy/12323649.aspx?

If it is, for the folks who already own this TV, do y'all have any complaints?

#2 Edited by nutter (1608 posts) -

I have a 55” C7 (65” was just too much wall real estate over the mantle, it felt absurd in my house).

I love this TV.

I’ve had old RPTVs, DLP, Plasma, LCD, LED, and now OLED.

While I’ll always love my Panisonic Viera plasma (I still have it in my bedroom), LG’s OLED is my new favorite. It takes some TLC and a bit of homework to configure it properly, but it’s well worth taking the time.

The blacks are plasma black and the colors are plasma rich. The whites can be blinding. It’s glorious.

Keep in mind that the OLED Brightness setting has a specific value in mind for HDR10 (a whopping 100) and Dolby Vision (50). Turn off all the automated image processing crap. Make sure your devices output the right color space. Make sure you use a properly speced HDMI cable.

Go to RTings.com for some basic settings help (it’s VERY similar to what I did for my viewing space, and a good starter).

If you lose details in the shadows or the color looks washed out, it’s probably something you configured.

When I bought past TVs, I’d run through a config disc to set the picture properly and it was night and day better 30 minutes later. I feel like HDR settings are another beast, so if you’re not happy, keep tweeking, googling, etc. Once you find the right settings, this TV is a glorious display.

EDIT: One complaint; There’s a screen darkening that happens for dark scenes and brightening for bright screens. It sucks. It’s apparently a screen safety measure, but I don’t know....it’s barely noticeable. When my config was off, it was VERY noticeable and distracting. It was a problem. Now it’s not really an issue.

#3 Posted by Humanity (18249 posts) -

@nutter: I'm planning on getting this TV, well the 2018 model, this christmas and was wondering if you had any second thoughts about getting the B8 model compared to the C8? I'm not sure about last year but this year the B8 is quite a bit cheaper and seems to mirror the stats for the most part of it's more expensive C8 brother with the exception of having a slightly slower chip from the 2017 line. I'm kinda torn if it's worth the savings, and they are pretty significant actually.

#4 Posted by nutter (1608 posts) -

@humanity: We went to see them in person, and the sales guy said that the greys on the C7 were better...hadn’t really

heard it elsewhere so I chalked it up to shit-sales-guys-say.

As far as I know, the panels are identical. The differences are in the stand (my TV is hanging) and a SLIGHT silver/grey bezel on the front of the B model.

I’d guess that the B8 and C8 are similar.

I got a deal and had a choice of B7 65” or C7 55”. While I’d like more size, our TV is hanging high in a small space. Measuring out the impact of a 65” on my wall...it was too much.

#5 Edited by nutter (1608 posts) -

One other note about these TVs. If I could do it again, I’d get a higher profile wallmount.

My C7 is FLAT against the wall. I can’t use rear inputs. It’s pleasing from a room perspective, but I’d get a mount that lets the TV seperate from the wall a bit more, in hindsight.

I don’t NEED those inputs, but if a time comes where I do, I’ll have to buy a different mount.

Also, these TVs are THIN. Go see one in person and consider attaching mounts and everything. That process was a little harrowing. I always felt like I was going to break the panel.

#6 Posted by Humanity (18249 posts) -

@nutter said:

@humanity: We went to see them in person, and the sales guy said that the greys on the C7 were better...hadn’t really

heard it elsewhere so I chalked it up to shit-sales-guys-say.

As far as I know, the panels are identical. The differences are in the stand (my TV is hanging) and a SLIGHT silver/grey bezel on the front of the B model.

I’d guess that the B8 and C8 are similar.

I got a deal and had a choice of B7 65” or C7 55”. While I’d like more size, our TV is hanging high in a small space. Measuring out the impact of a 65” on my wall...it was too much.

Cool thanks, when Christmas rolls around and the new sales kick in I'll compare the prices and see which seems better. Considering my TV will be standing on a shelf, and my apartment is also more conducive to a 55" than a 65", the stand actually does factor into the equation.

#7 Posted by Cloak (19 posts) -

That's a good question. I was thinking of getting the B8 to save money as well, and since I'm just going to turn off most off the image processing stuff when I watch movies would having a C8 over a B8 really matter that much? Unless it matters for games?

#8 Edited by Seikenfreak (1450 posts) -

I believe a bunch of the Giant Bomb staff have the B7 (the digit is the model year, so 2017 version in that case)

I just ordered a 65" C8 myself to replace my still perfectly good 55" 2015 model. As far as I have seen in my research, the difference between the C8 and B8 is really about the processor in the TV: The B8 is using the previous generation where as the C8 (and E8) have the newest "A9" processor. This apparently affects the performance of the TV OS stuff (Settings, Netflix, Apps, anything running on the TV etc) and, according to LG, there is an improvement in image quality due to behind-the-scenes processing stuff. Maybe input lag reduction as well (something I've never had an issue with on any TV ever)? Opinions on whether any of this makes a difference will probably vary from person to person.

I decided to get the C8 over the B8 as I wanted to get the "best" version I could get that would hopefully last me just that little bit longer. As I said, I've got LG's 2015 model (EF9500) and I absolutely love it, but I'd been thinking of going bat shit crazy and upgrading to the size that will barely fit in my area, plus there are a bunch of new and diverse settings options that they hadn't yet implemented in 2015. Like having separate picture settings for non-HDR and HDR or Dolby Vision support.

On the topic of prices: Recently, the "regular" price of the 65" C8 was about $2700 across most sites, with sales dropping a few hundred off. At the end of October, one place had it for $2100. Finally, a few days prior to Thanksgiving, Newegg had a sale on the LGs and the 65" C8 was $1900, which I immediately jumped on. They sold out fairly quickly. If you're interested in the B8, the lowest I think I saw was around $1500? It's going to vary depending on whether its a big name retailer or some obscure, potentially shady eBay seller which tend to have the lowest prices but.. who knows. Most of them are fine but you never know. The lowest prices that the TVs will ever hit will be around April/May when they are clearing out old stock to make room for the 2019 models. It didn't seem like there were many, if any price drops between Holiday season and Spring, so be prepared to wait. But a 65" C8 might go as low as $1700 maybe? Even cheaper for the B series and 55" models of course.

I recommend using a site or app like SlickDeals to watch for the sales and set up alarms (which is how I caught the Newegg sale and immediately bought it on my phone on my way home from work.) Read the comments on the sales to get an idea of the details on it. If its a good deal or not or if the seller is a potential issue.

Loading Video...

Edit: Oh and @nutter, not sure if I'm remembering correctly or not but I recently watched that RTING's C8 settings video and I swear there was a thing where he talks about it getting lighter and darker. Might've been Dynamic Contrast? Maybe scrub through that video if you're curious.

#9 Posted by nutter (1608 posts) -

@seikenfreak: Thanks. I have dynamic contrast off. I believe this is something totally separate. It’s something built-in to the HDR modes. There’s talk of setting HDR Brightness super high to stop it (it doesn’t), or labeling the input PC (it does, but in my experience that killed the richness of the image).

Here’s one thread talking about the issue. It’s presented here as a feature meant to darken static screens to prevent burn-in. As a bug, as it’s presented, it darkens dark scenes.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-oled-auto-dimming.2193056/

This was a big deal, but once I got my image where I wanted it, it continued to happen, but not in a way that distracts like it used to.

#10 Posted by Seikenfreak (1450 posts) -

@nutter: Now that you describe it that way, I wonder if that's something my older model does as well. It definitely dims the whole picture if it thinks the image is static. So movie scenes that are long, slow, dark shots without much movement the screen will dim after a bit. If it is the same thing then yea, it hasn't really bothered me.

#11 Posted by nutter (1608 posts) -

@seikenfreak: Sounds like the same thing. I used to have my HDR brightness very low. I first configured it like any other HD set, keeping the image darker than you might initially be comfortable with. Bad idea with HDR.

Once I configured it brighter, it went from a serious problem to something that barely registers.