UHD movies and HDR

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I bought an awesome UHD HDR tv (LG 2017 OLED), mainly for console games, but still BD movies look awesome on it.

I don't buy many movies on physical media these days, but I pick some here and there. The new Blade Runner movie comes out very soon in my region and I really really love that movie, and the visuals are a big part of it. I am considering buying that one on UHD and I am curious of this format supports HDR, as that would bring that up another level. I suppose even a BD disc could support it, if mastered properly, but that would require a separate disc? I tried to look this up but seems like most people don't even know what HDR is at this point, even the 4k is a new-ish format, so google search is taking me to those results - or maybe I'm just doing it wrong...?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You need a uhd bluray player and a UHD bluray disc. Regular bluray does not support it atm.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By marc

Blade Runner 2049 on UHD does support HDR. If you have an XBOX One s or x, you'll have what you need to play it on UHD. If not, you'll have to acquire a standalone UHD player as they are not the same as regular Bluray.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quipido

Yes, thank you, I have an XBOX One X, my question is about the media format itself. Awesome then!

EDIT: how can you tell which UHD blue-ray does support HDR? I can't see it on any product page or anything..?

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: Typically it'll say it supports HDR on the front packaging. For Blade Runner, it didn't show that on the product page when I ordered it, but it is on the physical package itself. Hopefully, that is info they get across better sooner rather than later. I'd have to imagine any new big release movie coming out at this point will support it, however.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I finally got a TV that is 4K and has HDR and while HDR is ok it's not like great or anything.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marc: ok, cool, thanks again.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal: what model is it? I spent a long time researching it before buying, I found the whole thing pretty confusing. But from what I hear the cheaper HDR tvs perform much worse in this area specifically. There is a good video on digital foundry, about 4k tvs and it lists cheap, mid range and high end models and the hdr quality varies wildly between those.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quipido: It was a LG 55" 4K Smart LED Ultra HDTV 55UJ6300

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I finally got a TV that is 4K and has HDR and while HDR is ok it's not like great or anything.

I'm going to respectfully disagree there. 4K honestly doesn't really blow me away that much, but HDR has been incredible (provided the source content is well-optimized for it and the calibration is solid).

The LG 55UJ6300 doesn't have local dimming or high peak HDR brightness, so HDR won't be as evident there.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Franstone

As long as the version you get says "4k Ultra HD" with the black border like this I'm sure you should be good.

No Caption Provided

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427 said:

@retrometal said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree there. 4K honestly doesn't really blow me away that much, but HDR has been incredible (provided the source content is well-optimized for it and the calibration is solid).

The LG 55UJ6300 doesn't have local dimming or high peak HDR brightness, so HDR won't be as evident there.

How would HDR even work in a set without local dimming? Wouldn't you need those specific zones of backlighting to make the whole thing possible?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldenglishc: my understanding is the cheaper the TV, the less zones are in the panel, for backlight. This is a problem when you want to display a bright are and a dark one at the same time, since the dark gets backlit as well. More expensive televisions have more granural zones, allowing more selective backlighting. This is for LCD panesl, in OLEDs, every pixel is its own light source.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By frytup

This is a good source of technical information on Blu-ray releases... blu-ray.com

There's a small chance it might just be a problem with my particular copy, but I own this and have a lot of problems with the Atmos encoding. Running the UHD disc on an X1X and outputting to either the built-in LG B7 speakers or to a non-Atmos receiver, I get weird audio static in certain parts.

Video looks amazing, though.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

This is a good source of technical information on Blu-ray releases... blu-ray.com

There's a small chance it might just be a problem with my particular copy, but I own this and have a lot of problems with the Atmos encoding. Running the UHD disc on an X1X and outputting to either the built-in LG B7 speakers or to a non-Atmos receiver, I get weird audio static in certain parts.

Video looks amazing, though.

Thanks, that's very helpful. I have almost exactly the same setup, except I have the audio taken directly to speakers via the hadphone jack. I hope it'll work well. Also there is an app for Dolby Atmos on Xbox/PC with a free trial, maybe try to fiddle with that to try to solve your issues?