YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By YoThatLimp

Hey folks,

Would anyone be interested in this? It would be like a book club, for wood working. At the start of each month we would assign a project and then have until the end of the month to post your final results (finished or not). We could use that month's thread to swap advice, suggestions, etc. I think we would emphasize projects that wood workers of all levels could make with a variety of tools.

Let me know if you're keen and I'll make sure to have a post up on 5/1 - I think our first project should be a step stool in honor of Vinny's suggestion from this weeks Beastcast!

Runaway_Haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

He'll yeah I'd be keen. Just finished my 3rd project last week, a raised planter box, so am looking for a next one. Not listened to this week's beastcast yet however

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would love to see other people's projects, although without many tools yet (it's a very slow accumulation of equipment situation) it might be a while before I could contribute a project myself.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd love to see the stuff the community builds, but I wouldn't be able to contribute anything. It's definitely an interest I'm wanting to pursue in the future though.

BaconHound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be up for it. I worry that maybe I won't have time, but perhaps having a specific project and deadline will help me carve out a Saturday afternoon in the garage.

stabfreely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would join in but only for things that I actually need (and are cost effective to build). Step stools for example are so cheap to buy you couldn't make one for less. I have a Cherry one the cost $20 from some where. I couldn't have bought the wood for that.

My time is also worth $55 an hour so I figure that in too....as well as if a professional could do a better job (The answer to that is usually no)

The planters mentioned above I would do, I have lots of spare pressure treated wood around.

It's always fun to see how crafty folks are....

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

I built a board game table last year. It cost me about $700 total including a couple tools I bought and a subscription to a local tool library. It was a really rough first *real* thing to build, but it is awesome if only a little wobbly. Way better than paying $1k-$10k

No Caption Provided

The X style legs can come off of the top, and the single crossbeam underneath can be separated out. This was mainly to get it down the stairs at that house. I have 7 planks that can lay over the board games that we set up on the blue surface (which I have as black presently).

The project was a pain in the butt, but it was just barely shy of structurally sound after a 5 day weekend with me working on it about 12 hours per day. Sanding and finishing is a pain as well, and took almost a month after that week of hard work.

If you are just getting started, I can't recommend the Tool Library enough. If you are lucky enough to have one in your city or area, you can really benefit from it. To explain, here in Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota we have a couple locations. I paid $55 USD for a one year subscription. I can go pick up nice shop tools and rent them for no fee for a week at a time. It was great to have access to an awesome Miter Saw without having to *buy* a miter saw.

brutal_bisp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds awesome!

TyrellOCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

This would be a fun project. I hope more duders are up for it.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I built a board game table last year. It cost me about $700 total including a couple tools I bought and a subscription to a local tool library. It was a really rough first *real* thing to build, but it is awesome if only a little wobbly. Way better than paying $1k-$10k

No Caption Provided

The X style legs can come off of the top, and the single crossbeam underneath can be separated out. This was mainly to get it down the stairs at that house. I have 7 planks that can lay over the board games that we set up on the blue surface (which I have as black presently).

The project was a pain in the butt, but it was just barely shy of structurally sound after a 5 day weekend with me working on it about 12 hours per day. Sanding and finishing is a pain as well, and took almost a month after that week of hard work.

If you are just getting started, I can't recommend the Tool Library enough. If you are lucky enough to have one in your city or area, you can really benefit from it. To explain, here in Minneapolis/St. Paul Minnesota we have a couple locations. I paid $55 USD for a one year subscription. I can go pick up nice shop tools and rent them for no fee for a week at a time. It was great to have access to an awesome Miter Saw without having to *buy* a miter saw.

Man, that's awesome! A board game table is on my to do list!

Here is a link to the first project's thread:

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/unofficial-giant-bomb-woodworking-club-project-1-t-1866106/