#1 Posted by YoThatLimp (2494 posts) -

It's like a book club, but for wood working!

This month's project is the humble step stool per Vinny's suggestion in Episode 205 of the Beastcast.

Since this is our first project, I don't think we need to many rules or guidelines - as long as you can step on a thing you make to gain some extra height and it holds your weight, you have been a success. I'm looking forward to a variety of styles, shapes, finishes and materials.

Lets use this thread for questions, suggestions, progress pics, etc.

We have until May 31st to post our final projects, get to work!

#2 Posted by brutal_bisp (162 posts) -

This is going to be great motivation to actually get me back in the garage

#3 Posted by YoThatLimp (2494 posts) -

So I think I'm going to use a modified version of the plans below. I've never done a mortise and tenon joint so I'm going to try something a little out of my comfort zone.

i'm going to go to the lumber yard this week and check out the the prices on some maple, ideally I could find something already jointed on 2 edges and planed because I don't really have a good way of doing that at the moment! I do have some scrap walnut and purpleheart I might find a use for.

No Caption Provided

#4 Posted by Sweep (10595 posts) -

Someone should send a telegram to @vinny

#5 Posted by soulcake (2749 posts) -

Neat idea! I did some woodworking when i was 14 made a tray and a stool. I liked the craftsmanship you have to put in but found out i was allergic to sawdust so i quieted after two projects.

#6 Edited by BaconHound (289 posts) -

@yothatlimp: I'm also planning on using this as an opportunity to try some tools/techniques that I haven't used before. No real plans though - just a picture in my head, some scribbled ideas, and a few spare boards that I already had on hand. If all goes well, my toddler will be able to reach the sink more easily. Worst case - some extra firewood.

#7 Posted by YoThatLimp (2494 posts) -

@soulcake said:

Neat idea! I did some woodworking when i was 14 made a tray and a stool. I liked the craftsmanship you have to put in but found out i was allergic to sawdust so i quieted after two projects.

Bummer! I know a proper face mask and ventilated area made a world of difference to me. I started my wood working journey several years ago, but after making a maple wood train for a friend's kid i was sneezing sawdust for the next month and it really put me off for a few years.

@yothatlimp: I'm also planning on using this as an opportunity to try some tools/techniques that I haven't used before. No real plans though - just a picture in my head, some scribbled ideas, and a few spare boards that I already had on hand. If all goes well, my toddler will be able to reach the sink more easily. Worst case - some extra firewood.

Looking forward to checking out your progress! What techniques are you thinking about trying?

#8 Posted by BaconHound (289 posts) -

@yothatlimp: I recently restored my great-grandfather's hand plane, so I'm eager to work with that, and I'll be doing my first mortise and tenon joinery as well. My wife got me an edge guide for my router that I haven't found a use for yet, so I might figure some way to practice with that too.

#9 Posted by YoThatLimp (2494 posts) -

@yothatlimp: I recently restored my great-grandfather's hand plane, so I'm eager to work with that, and I'll be doing my first mortise and tenon joinery as well. My wife got me an edge guide for my router that I haven't found a use for yet, so I might figure some way to practice with that too.

Nice!

Today is the day I'm finally able to get to the lumber store, wish me luck! How is everyone's projects going?

#10 Posted by Majkiboy (1073 posts) -

Neat! I have been thinking about something in the lines of this for some time. Maybe now is the time! I don't have many good tools and not that much space but I do have a bunch of old pallets, a hand saw, a hammer and my willpower! If I manage to construct anything out of them I'll post it here!

#11 Edited by YoThatLimp (2494 posts) -

@majkiboy said:

Neat! I have been thinking about something in the lines of this for some time. Maybe now is the time! I don't have many good tools and not that much space but I do have a bunch of old pallets, a hand saw, a hammer and my willpower! If I manage to construct anything out of them I'll post it here!

Now is the perfect time to hop in!

We are officially halfway there, I am going to get most the wood working done this weekend, saving next weekend for finishing. I built a pretty bare bones router table I can clamp to my existing out-feed table, it's pretty bare bones but will allow me to round over edges pretty easily.

How's everyone else doing?

Excuse the mess!
Excuse the mess!