Video Editing Software Recommendations?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Greetings!

I recently built my first computer and have a clean slate with a lot of how I manage files, programs, etc. The last video editing software I used was Magix Movie Edit Pro 2013. It was an Ok program, but it would get stressed in a couple of weird ways and would mess up randomly for god know's what reason. I haven't looked into the state of video editing software since 2013-ish, so I'm out of the loop in terms of which new programs are good. Most of the video editing I do involves basic editing of longer clips down on a timeline. Probably the biggest thing I need in terms of functionality is to have a program that can handle 100+ different clips and 10-20 different video tracks without crapping out.

Anybody have any good recommendations? What are you guys currently using, and how's it working out for you?

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

I mainly use Blender, but only for smaller things. For the one bigger thing I was involved with recently we used Lightworks (lwks.com).

There's a free version to try out with limited export options etc, and a monthly license is $25, which is pretty reasonable.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think Adobe Premiere is a subscription service now so many look into that.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I think Adobe Premiere is a subscription service now so many look into that.

Premiere is pretty good too.

nonused

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Premiere is awesome, but good God it can get expensive. And you gotta subscribe to get it nowadays, which I think sucks (but, hey, maybe that's your thing). I don't really like using anything but it, though, and it syncs up with After Effects and Audition.

However, a pretty good alternative is Da Vinci. It has a freeware version, and is pretty good for it. I'd say give that a shot, and if you get frustrated with it, then look into Premiere. Though, if you're willing to just spend the money, Premiere is probably the go-to editing software.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

if you just need simple cuts and edits, try out avidemux.

if you need high quality editing then use something like adobe premiere or sony vegas.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adobe Premiere is pretty dope. The Creative Cloud for it is a subscription, but it's a pretty good deal.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I will roll with Premiere and see how that works out. Maybe start off monthly and take it from there. That will also give me a test drive on how the Creative Cloud works. (The last time I used Photoshop or anything was probably over 10 years ago)

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Adobe Premier. If you're a student, check with your school to see if you get a CC discount. If you work at a school, you most likely get a discount as well. Student is $20 a month for All Apps, so you'll have access to After Effects, too.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an aside, what are the better options for free?

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would also recommend Lightworks. It's got a somewhat different UI and way of doing things than your standard editing software.
Preview works very fast, it's probably the easiest when it comes to adding transitions, audio fade-ins, text and stuff like that. Check it out, it's totally free, no watermark or anything, the export is just a bit lower quality then you'd probably like.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

While I have money to subscribe to Premiere, I just sticked with the free version of Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@shindig: Joey Fameli of Tested fame recommended a product called DaVinci Resolve in his "Favorite Things" video late last year. He recommended it more for color grading purposes, but the basic editing capabilities look pretty good, even though I haven't tried it out personally yet. The program is free.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Lightworks worked well for me last time I needed to do something. There is a free version and a monthly sub version.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zelyre said:

Adobe Premier. If you're a student, check with your school to see if you get a CC discount. If you work at a school, you most likely get a discount as well. Student is $20 a month for All Apps, so you'll have access to After Effects, too.

Blasted. I just started my Masters two weeks ago and didn't think of myself as a "student". Hearing you can get all of the apps for what I paid for one month of Premiere is a sweet deal. Thanks for mentioning that.