Infernocow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Infernocow

Now for a completely useless observation:  

in·er·tia   (-nûrsh)       Resistance or disinclination to motion, action or change.  

I've been grappling lately with what I call video game inertia.  This is a phenomenon where one runs out of things they are compelled to play, and are unwilling to try something else despite recommendation from friends or even the knowledge that one would certainly enjoy a game.  The mystery is in the reason why.

I have reason to believe that I am more inclined toward this disposition.  It's actually quite stifling to my enjoyment of games.  For instance, it was some 6 months before I was finally convinced to purchase a copy of that quaint little title they call Fallout 3; a game which I subsequently poured over 100 hours of my youth into.  Worse still, though, was another game which some of you may or may not recognize; a title which certainly has not been getting any attention of late, Mass Effect.  I was a year and a half before I finally managed to convince myself that this game would not be an utter waste of my time.  This game, in fact, can now be found counted in my measly little brain as one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.  There are lots of examples of similar cases: Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, NHL 09...all games that I now very much enjoy.  Then of course there's all those games that I never did convince myself to get.  Notable among those titles being blockbusters like esIV: Oblivion and Braid.

On the other side of the coin, there are games that I will indeed buy without hesitation.  I am certainly not immune to hype and excitement.  It seems though that all those games within series which I have already played.  Games which I usually anticipate the most are titles like The Legend of Zelda, GTA, Mario, Metroid, and basically anything that I grew up with.

Why is that I find it so difficult to get new games?  Is it maybe the fact that I hold a deep (broodingly so) dislike of short campaigns?  That seems likely at times but I am this way with titles that I'm assured are at least 20 hours long.  Even 20 hours, though, is short for me.  Perhaps I'm just cheap...and don't like spending money...that seems to me much more likely, as I am lazy as sin and my employment is very much part time.  I still can't bring myself to chock it up to that exclusively, though.  Perhaps it is that as a frustrated artist I'm constantly in search of an outlet for my unburned creative fuel, which makes me only want to purchase games which I can invest heavily in.  Usually these are RPGs.  Xbox 360 is certainly not rank with those, and my PC is prone to exploding.   

Gosh aren't I eccentric...why aren't you pitying me? 

Anyway, I've been grappling with this, and I believe that I may have come across my answer.  This brings me to the fact that...

...Some may be wondering why I would be writing this, especially since no-one will read it in all likelyhood.  Part of the reason is because I am currently sitting in my very-much-part-time job and don't have anything better to do.  Part of the reason, though, is that hopefully in discussing this with myself I can get over this stifling little inclination of mine to be so stingy with the activity which brings me so much enjoyment.  I think I'm getting better.  I'm even considering buying one of those nice little PS3s everyone's talking about, now that they'll be somewhat more reasonable in price...this would be significant as I would basically be getting it for one game.  That's the utlimate step forward with this problem...spending hundreds of dollars for one game.  (that game, by the way, is MLB The Show.)  I'll just call it cured then, and hope for the best. 

Cheers.

Infernocow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Infernocow

Now for a completely useless observation:  

in·er·tia   (-nûrsh)       Resistance or disinclination to motion, action or change.  

I've been grappling lately with what I call video game inertia.  This is a phenomenon where one runs out of things they are compelled to play, and are unwilling to try something else despite recommendation from friends or even the knowledge that one would certainly enjoy a game.  The mystery is in the reason why.

I have reason to believe that I am more inclined toward this disposition.  It's actually quite stifling to my enjoyment of games.  For instance, it was some 6 months before I was finally convinced to purchase a copy of that quaint little title they call Fallout 3; a game which I subsequently poured over 100 hours of my youth into.  Worse still, though, was another game which some of you may or may not recognize; a title which certainly has not been getting any attention of late, Mass Effect.  I was a year and a half before I finally managed to convince myself that this game would not be an utter waste of my time.  This game, in fact, can now be found counted in my measly little brain as one of my top 5 favorite games of all time.  There are lots of examples of similar cases: Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, NHL 09...all games that I now very much enjoy.  Then of course there's all those games that I never did convince myself to get.  Notable among those titles being blockbusters like esIV: Oblivion and Braid.

On the other side of the coin, there are games that I will indeed buy without hesitation.  I am certainly not immune to hype and excitement.  It seems though that all those games within series which I have already played.  Games which I usually anticipate the most are titles like The Legend of Zelda, GTA, Mario, Metroid, and basically anything that I grew up with.

Why is that I find it so difficult to get new games?  Is it maybe the fact that I hold a deep (broodingly so) dislike of short campaigns?  That seems likely at times but I am this way with titles that I'm assured are at least 20 hours long.  Even 20 hours, though, is short for me.  Perhaps I'm just cheap...and don't like spending money...that seems to me much more likely, as I am lazy as sin and my employment is very much part time.  I still can't bring myself to chock it up to that exclusively, though.  Perhaps it is that as a frustrated artist I'm constantly in search of an outlet for my unburned creative fuel, which makes me only want to purchase games which I can invest heavily in.  Usually these are RPGs.  Xbox 360 is certainly not rank with those, and my PC is prone to exploding.   

Gosh aren't I eccentric...why aren't you pitying me? 

Anyway, I've been grappling with this, and I believe that I may have come across my answer.  This brings me to the fact that...

...Some may be wondering why I would be writing this, especially since no-one will read it in all likelyhood.  Part of the reason is because I am currently sitting in my very-much-part-time job and don't have anything better to do.  Part of the reason, though, is that hopefully in discussing this with myself I can get over this stifling little inclination of mine to be so stingy with the activity which brings me so much enjoyment.  I think I'm getting better.  I'm even considering buying one of those nice little PS3s everyone's talking about, now that they'll be somewhat more reasonable in price...this would be significant as I would basically be getting it for one game.  That's the utlimate step forward with this problem...spending hundreds of dollars for one game.  (that game, by the way, is MLB The Show.)  I'll just call it cured then, and hope for the best. 

Cheers.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By torus
@Infernocow said:
"

Games which I usually anticipate the most are titles like The Legend of Zelda, GTA, Mario, Metroid, and basically anything that I grew up with.

"
This is the problem. You are probably disenchanted with titles in the recent years, and find that they don't live up to your memories of old ones. 

Am I right?
Infernocow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Infernocow

Perhaps.  Maybe my standards are just higher or something.
Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

You are better than me at least.  I buy games I know I will like and then don't play them.  For example, I thought Chrono Trigger was fantastic, but have an unopened copy of Chrono Cross in a shoebox somewhere, and it's been sitting there for more than 6 months.  In about 10 minutes, I could be playing that game, but instead, I bang my head against the brick wall that is Trials HD.