Video game movies could be good

Avatar image for holdontoyourasses
HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Yea, i know I'm shocked too! A story based on an epic adventure about awesomeness could actually be turned into a good movie? SHOCKING! How? Well simple. But first, let’s take a look at the two routes a movie can go: the first route AKA the Hitman: Agent 47 route and the second route aka the Final Fantasy 7: Advent children route.

The first route is the harder one, and it requires making something very different, with only the extremely basic stuff being the same, with the rest being a new story and stuff like that. This can also serve as a new story that could further advance the game's story,and it could serve as a prequel to the original,but we will,well actually I will get to that later!

So,about the Hitman route,you see Hitman grossed fairly well,due to explaining everything to you,and explaining stuff that the fan already knows,and for that reason doesn't want to watch it so he,you know,doesn't. This way it can serve as an advertisement for people who never played Hitman,and might try and get into it. Now,you might say that it has no point,but again,it COULD use as advertisement,and as someone who never played Hitman i enjoyed watching Hitman:Agent 47,and it actually made want to buy Hitman:Blood Money which i enjoyed! Because this is a first and foremost gaming website most of you,if not all of you,will disagree with me!

Then there is the second route which is (much) easier,do to just being MAD EFFING FAN SERVICE! There isn't much needed to explain and you just need to make very little stuff up,but here is the bummer,and the reason these movies don't get made very often: they are rarely successful! For that reason,most movies take the Hitman route and fail,with only a few actually doing it right.

Now here is something i have been thinking about for a couple of years-what if they made a mixed franchise? What i mean by that,what if they make a movie and instead of making a shitty game adaptation,a year or two later,they make a sequel to the movie in the form of a game or vice versa! Then maybe they could make an expansion pack/DLC that would further the story in the form of a 50 to 60 minute movie!

So

No Caption Provided

Because video game movies could be good :)

So that was my extremely short blog,and i hope you enjoyed reading :D!

HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By HoldOnToYourAsses

Yea, i know I'm shocked too! A story based on an epic adventure about awesomeness could actually be turned into a good movie? SHOCKING! How? Well simple. But first, let’s take a look at the two routes a movie can go: the first route AKA the Hitman: Agent 47 route and the second route aka the Final Fantasy 7: Advent children route.

The first route is the harder one, and it requires making something very different, with only the extremely basic stuff being the same, with the rest being a new story and stuff like that. This can also serve as a new story that could further advance the game's story,and it could serve as a prequel to the original,but we will,well actually I will get to that later!

So,about the Hitman route,you see Hitman grossed fairly well,due to explaining everything to you,and explaining stuff that the fan already knows,and for that reason doesn't want to watch it so he,you know,doesn't. This way it can serve as an advertisement for people who never played Hitman,and might try and get into it. Now,you might say that it has no point,but again,it COULD use as advertisement,and as someone who never played Hitman i enjoyed watching Hitman:Agent 47,and it actually made want to buy Hitman:Blood Money which i enjoyed! Because this is a first and foremost gaming website most of you,if not all of you,will disagree with me!

Then there is the second route which is (much) easier,do to just being MAD EFFING FAN SERVICE! There isn't much needed to explain and you just need to make very little stuff up,but here is the bummer,and the reason these movies don't get made very often: they are rarely successful! For that reason,most movies take the Hitman route and fail,with only a few actually doing it right.

Now here is something i have been thinking about for a couple of years-what if they made a mixed franchise? What i mean by that,what if they make a movie and instead of making a shitty game adaptation,a year or two later,they make a sequel to the movie in the form of a game or vice versa! Then maybe they could make an expansion pack/DLC that would further the story in the form of a 50 to 60 minute movie!

So

No Caption Provided

Because video game movies could be good :)

So that was my extremely short blog,and i hope you enjoyed reading :D!

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By beargirl1

the idea of making a game, then making the sequel in the form of a movie (and vice versa) doesn't sound like the best idea. if people liked the first game, i'd assume they'd want to play the sequel, and not watch it :P  

though this kind of reminds me of what Rockstar did with The Warriors. they created a prequel prior to the events of the movie, then they let you play through the events of the movie itself. 

HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HoldOnToYourAsses
@AjayRaz: Well,maybe a movie THEN a game,but the The Warriors thing sound pretty cool...
RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RJay_64

They should make a movie based on Final Fantasy 7.  I mean they should base the storyline on the actual game, rather than make a sequel.  Gamers would LOVE that! 

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By apathylad

I think "Hold On To Your Asses : Video Game Movies Could be Good" should be this blog's real title... 

I've always wondered what will be the movie based on the game that could be universally acclaimed. And who will be the team that accomplishes this task?

HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HoldOnToYourAsses
@RJay_64: They did,and gamers loved,but other people? Yeaah,not so much
HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HoldOnToYourAsses
@Apathylad: Hahahaha! That would indeed be an awesome title! Anyway,for the universally acclaimed thing,I'm guessing its not going to happen,since everyone just wants to make a quick buck and be done with it
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By apathylad
@HoldOnToYourAsses:  
Comic books got there! Why can't games!?
HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HoldOnToYourAsses

@Apathylad: Because most video game devs don't have a movie studio and they have to leave their game,while most comic book makers do have a movie studio.

And the game studio's that do have movies,only do mad fan service...   

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By 9cupsoftea

Game stories suck, and when you make a movie out of them it only shows that more obviously.

HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@9cupsoftea: Not ALL game stories suck you know...
Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

The problem with video game based movies is you have to appeal to both gamers and people who don't play games.  Studios managed to mess up Max Payne which was probable the best possible game to adapt into a movie because it is a simple story of revenge starring a rogue police detective.  The horrible miscasting of Mark Wahlberg as Max Payne and a way too young Mila Kunis as Mona Sax was tragic. The final nail in the coffin was the PG-13 rating.

Just think that the awesomeness that was District 9 could of just as easily of been a Halo movie and you realize that there is never going to be a good video game movie.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By aaox

I don't know, but either way, it's more ammo for the TANG shotgun and I'm all for that.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By MysteriousBob
@RJay_64 said:
" They should make a movie based on Final Fantasy 7.  I mean they should base the storyline on the actual game, rather than make a sequel.  Gamers would LOVE that!  "
What? I thought they already did that three times already. That Advent Core shit or whatever it was called. All the nerds went crazy over that back when I was in Sixth Form.
9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By 9cupsoftea
@HoldOnToYourAsses: Yes they do. The best video game stories are on a par with distinctly average, forgettable movies. They don't even come close to good movie stories. 

And the few that are genuinely great, are often great because they mesh the gameplay and story so brilliantly, and would be impossible to turn into movies (Portal, Braid, etc).
HoldOnToYourAsses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@9cupsoftea: Yes because MGS'S story is so primitive,shitty and forgettable 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I always thought that Resident Evil the game would make a better movie than the actual movie.  Watching Barry and Jill try to figure out what's going on, the dog jumps through the window,  the door won't unlock and you're almost a Jill sandwich, Wesker is the bad guy, Brad throws the rocket launcher from the helicopter....  The idea of the video game movie is to get the video game fans in addition to non-gamers.  Video game fans would go to the movie for the fan service alone, and non-gamers would see the crazy story for the first time.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@HoldOnToYourAsses said:
" @9cupsoftea: Yes because MGS'S story is so primitive,shitty and forgettable  "
I'm not sure if this was sarcasm or not, but yes, it was.
Compared to any movie, MGS is extremely poorly written, badly paced and ridiculously melodramatic. 

I enjoy the games for what they are, and even most of the story, but it's still not comparable to a movie, and I think there are much better examples of games with good stories out there.  The Legacy of Kain series, Mass Effect, Red Dead Redemption..