Video Game Parody Art

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

Edited By Crono

I know that parody of any kind is very popular.  Video games are no different.  There are all sorts from screenshots that are faithful to the games they are parodying to ones that resembles something we all know but don't really follow the game's feel / vibe.

But this post is about my foray into box art parody or cover art parody.  I recently stumbled upon a few pieces of parody art that I thought were decently funny at concept, if not delivery.  After much deliberation with friends, the idea of doing a portal parody came up.  There was then much more deliberation on what should be conveyed in this parody.  What is contained is the result of this debate:

No Caption Provided
Now don't judge me based on what is being depicted.  Judge me based on the quality and faithfulness to the original design of the game's cover art.  I can't help but laugh at this when I see it, not just because of how it mocks the Portal cover design, but because the proportions are so horribly askew that you can't take this serious for even a moment; mission accomplished if you feel the same.

Anyway, let me know what you think and if you have any ideas and I like them, perhaps I will make more, with community input.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Crono

I know that parody of any kind is very popular.  Video games are no different.  There are all sorts from screenshots that are faithful to the games they are parodying to ones that resembles something we all know but don't really follow the game's feel / vibe.

But this post is about my foray into box art parody or cover art parody.  I recently stumbled upon a few pieces of parody art that I thought were decently funny at concept, if not delivery.  After much deliberation with friends, the idea of doing a portal parody came up.  There was then much more deliberation on what should be conveyed in this parody.  What is contained is the result of this debate:

No Caption Provided
Now don't judge me based on what is being depicted.  Judge me based on the quality and faithfulness to the original design of the game's cover art.  I can't help but laugh at this when I see it, not just because of how it mocks the Portal cover design, but because the proportions are so horribly askew that you can't take this serious for even a moment; mission accomplished if you feel the same.

Anyway, let me know what you think and if you have any ideas and I like them, perhaps I will make more, with community input.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By clubsandwich

hahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha xD

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By torus

I looked at it, and I didn't understand.

Now I understand.

Lol.

Shinogomaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Shinogomaru

I lol'd

MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MisterSpiffy

At first I thought it had to do with weightlifting.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Wolverine
@MisterSpiffy said:
" At first I thought it had to do with weightlifting. "
That is what I thought at first, then I figured it out and lol'd.
Wildfire570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Wildfire570

That is hilarious! Well done it really looks convincing

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8  Edited By dsplayer1010

Heh. Kind of funny

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Bruce

Playing Portal was a pain akin probably to that of taking one up the ass...good job representing the experience!

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By penguindust

There are a bunch of box art parodies on this site.  Check them out if you're interested.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Crono

Woot!  This got more (positive) responses than I was expecting!  I can see how this could be misunderstood at first glance too, it is too late to fix it as I have already submitted it but I will keep that in mind for next time.

Also, thank you PenguinDust.  I don't know how I didn't think to check Worth1000 out!  A lot of those are really good and funny haha!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

i don't think i quite get it. is it the stick going through the portal into the back of him? i kind of think thats what it is. when i first saw it i thought it was weight lifting or something like that.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jonnyboy

Just remember, It's not gay if it's your own.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crono
@iam3green said:
" i don't think i quite get it. is it the stick going through the portal into the back of him? i kind of think thats what it is. when i first saw it i thought it was weight lifting or something like that. "
It's his anatomically disproportionate penis.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green
@Crono said:
" @iam3green said:
" i don't think i quite get it. is it the stick going through the portal into the back of him? i kind of think thats what it is. when i first saw it i thought it was weight lifting or something like that. "
It's his anatomically disproportionate penis. "
yeah, that's what i was thinking. thanks for answering.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Red12b
@Crono said:
"@iam3green said:
It's his anatomically disproportionate penis."
Hahahahaha Big Penis FTW? Hahahahaha
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By torus

One grip, which I feel compelled to add. When something goes through a portal, it doesn't make a 'miniportal' on entry and exit.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Crono
@torus said:
" One grip, which I feel compelled to add. When something goes through a portal, it doesn't make a 'miniportal' on entry and exit. "
Yes I understand your gripe and I didn't add them til the very end because I wanted to keep it as true to the game and the cover art as possible.  The problem is, it just didn't look right with the object passing into 1 side and coming out the other without some sort of added effect to sell the concept. Artistic license I suppose haha but yea, good eye :)
cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cloneslayer
@Bruce said:
" Playing Portal was a pain akin probably to that of taking one up the ass...good job representing the experience! "
First negative thing I have ever heard about Portal.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Bruce
@Cloneslayer:

I found the whole thing to be really lame and I actually muted the sound halfway. (Was not fond of Glados)

I love me some Indie music, but I rarely dick-ride the critical darling games like most people.