DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Hey bombers!

I recently started getting back into record collecting and adding to my collection. I love getting my hands on limited releases of old and new albums and play them when friends or family members come over. The picture is a standard yet epic release of an album by the State Champs (Like pop punk bands like Blink 182, New Found Glory and Yellowcard? Check them out!)

GIVEAWAY TIME!

Speaking of checking out The State Champs, I'm also including a giveaway of a digital download code that someone can use to download the album. The code came with the album in the picture but don't need it. I hope someone uses it and enjoys it! Go to www.dropcards.com/vinyl to redeem this code:

State Champs - The Finer Things - Code: KSC93ZJC47

I just bought the re release pressings of Relient K's second and third albums "The Anatomy of Tongue and Cheek" and "Two Lefts Don't Make a Right, But Three Do." Lastly, I've got a preorder on a new Frank Sinatra compilation coming out on vinyl in a few weeks, it's going to be the ultimate classy record for a rainy day or when girls come over.

The rest of this thread is to talk about any and all records you have or you've preordered. Talk about your old favorites, post pictures of your favorite album! What music are you excited for that's coming out? Discuss!

AngryHobo321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I hope the code is still available when I get home! I just started collecting again myself, and I will be posting some download codes myself once I get home on to my comp.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

No Caption Provided

I actually just received this lovely vinyl in the mail today. As a big fan of Dario Argento's movies and the soundtracks that Goblin produces for them, this 2013 ep of re-recordings Goblin did of some of their most popular songs is truly awesome. Sorry, no download code, though.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Came for the "Vinny Record Collecting Thread", stayed for the "Vinyl".

I got into it a few years ago, buying the discs first, the equipment later. I got sold a lemon of a turntable, it doesn't play records at the right speeds. It wasn't cheap, $250, but I'm not so sure if I'd rather spend like $150 getting it repaired, or put that money plus selling what I had for parts towards a new $350 one that a) works and b) sounds better.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

@driveuplife: Right?! Colored vinyl are the coolest. I've just been looking at a clear, rainbow-splattered vinyl for the soundtrack to the PSN release, Hohokum, which looks pretty awesome. And I'm just about to pull the trigger on the third/final pressing of the Hotline Miami 2 soundtrack vinyl. If you haven't seen that gem, it has neon green, pink and blue vinyls.

tkalsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

to merge this into a half video game discussion, I recommend Hohokum soundtrack. Good chill music and the vinyl and the art that come with it are all gorgeous

dadjumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dadjumper

I very casually collect records. For a while I was big on buying brand new pressings of contemporary albums I really enjoy, which is always nice, but now I focus much more on finding weird old stuff that I can just grab on a whim. I have about 50 records at the moment, which is nothing. I've only bought maybe three or four records in the last year, and they're all random Japanese/Korean albums or Jazz. It's a fun medium but I'm not as excited for it as I used to be. I moved on to tapes for a while because a lot of really unknown bands release their stuff exclusively on tape (at least, exclusive in the physical sense, MP3s also exist), but that proved to be too pricy. Music collecting is very much obsolete in my opinion, but I still enjoy dabbling from time to time.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LeStephan

@redbullet685: YES COLORED VINYLS ARE FUCKING AWESOME...too bad I live in the netherlands, shipping+taxes pretty much doubled the costs of at least that hotline miami one. Its really too bad those limited edition vinyls are most of the time sold through stores with very bad/crazy expensive international shipping options.

That said, that is not always the case (hurrah for bandcamp):

I got one limited edition one from retro city rampage and a limited edition one from swords and sworcery, those are both very nice colored vinyls. I also have a reaaaaalllly kickass 4 album vinyl set from misery signals which was exclusive to their indi-gogo backers and limited to like 200 pcs or something. I dont have any pictures though but I bet you could find some pictures online :D.

My favorite kind of music though is afrobeat though and I managed to get a a fair amount of fela kuti records and analog africa vinyl-sets, that shit is the fucking bomb.

I'm also pretty proud of a limited repress of angola's very first pressed vinyl record that I have, its called "Rebita'74".

If I have the money and I encounter something that peaks my interest I buy it but I wont go out of my way to look for something/collect anymore. I have bought multiple vinyls on the spot just based on vague knowledge of the genre + picture on the sleeve + a good feeling inside and have never been dissapointed yet :) I'd never do that online though, I need to feel, smell, touch, look at a record before I 'feel something for it'.

PS: Dang, that hohokum vinyl is pretty bloody awesome too !

kidzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've actually been thinking about starting a vinyl collection myself. My idea was to not only get my favorite hip-hop albums on vinyl, but get the records they sampled on those albums. It's probably gonna run me a fortune, considering I don't even have a turntable myself. What do you recommend?

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Started collecting a few years ago, but I still have a fairly modest amount (about 20-something, compared to my 700+ CD collection...) I have a few pictures, but that would take ages to post, so here's a handy dandy list of what I have (minus a few freebies here and there that were available on select Record Store Days, which is when I usually buy most of my vinyl)

• Alabama Shakes - Sound & Color (Clear vinyl, bought during my Chicago trip in late April 2015)
  • Between the Buried and Me - The Anatomy Of (Record Store Day Exclusive)
  • Between the Buried and Me - Colors_Live (Record Store Day Exclusive)
  • Between the Buried and Me - The Parallax Box Set (Record Store Day Exclusive Box Set that includes The Parallax Hypersleep Dialogues EP and The Parallax II: Future Sequence)
  • Candlemass - Live (Record Store Day 2015 Reissue)
  • The Clash - London Calling 7" (Record Store Day Exclusive)
  • The Clash - London Calling (the full album, this printing was made for promotional use only, found and bought during my Chicago trip in April 2015)
  • Daft Punk - Get Lucky 12" Single
  • Dio - Killing the Dragon (Record Store Day Exclusive, # 640/2500, my first ever vinyl record that I can call my own)
  • Dream Theater - Illumination Theory 12" Single (Record Store Day Exclusive)
  • Gojira - The Way of All Flesh (Record Store Day Exclusive)
  • GWAR - America Must Be Destroyed (Record Store Day 2015 Reissue)
  • Joan Jett and the Blackhearts - Album (Record Store Day)
  • Led Zeppelin - IV (This one belonged to my dad, who passed away 9 years ago. Found a stash of his records that I didn't know he owned and found this one, so this one's extra special to me)
  • Mastodon - Atlanta 12" (Record Store Day 2015 Exclusive, bought during my Chicago trip late April 2015)
  • Megadeth - Th1rt3en (Pre-Order Exclusive from the band's webstore)
  • Opeth - Watershed (Record Store Day Exclusive)
  • Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork
  • Social Distortion - Self-Titled (Record Store Day 2015 exclusive, #0328/3000)
  • Devin Townsend - Truth/Lucky Animals Live from the Retinal Circus 7" (Record Store Day/Black Friday Exclusive)
  • Devin Townsend - Physicist (bought during my Chicago trip in late April 2015)
  • Devin Townsend Project - Ki (bought during my Chicago trip in late April 2015)
  • Steven Wilson - Luminol/The Watchmaker Demos 12" Single (Record Store Day Exclusive)
  • Various Artists - Hotline Miami 2 Collector's Edition Soundtrack

Free Stuff from Record Store Day:

• Divided (7" Split with Tapioca and the Flea/Bagheera on one side, Denitia and Sene/Thurz on the other)
  • Music Finland w/ the Line of Best Fit 2014

Also have that one mystery release from this year's RSD that I haven't listened to yet. If anyone wants to see some pictures, just let me know and maybe I'll post a few here and there.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By EuanDewar

I have like 90, I dunno what to tell you. My favourite is probably Miles Davis' Bitches Brew just cause it's a top album and I think that cover is so ruddy gorgeous. The vinyl itself isn't anything special, although it is a good heavy pressing. I have this picture disc of Death's Leprosy that is well nice too. None of the audio problems that usually associate with the PD format. Rarest thing I own is an old Beatles compilation I've inherited that was the first place a lot of some of their singles were released in the UK.

Most recent buy is Death Grips's The Powers That B which is a lovely gatefold with a pair of lyrics sheets that are very useful considering Ride's

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@euandewar: Bitches Brew is so good. I thought about tracking that down on vinyl, but any section except 'very recent, pretty popular indie rock' is a mess at the local record stores.

I'm not sure what of my collection is my favorite. Some bands have done some pretty neat stuff lately with the physical album (e.g.: Liars, TV On The Radio), but the albums are too recent, and not at all rare enough, to be anything special. I guess the coolest stuff I own would be one of the albums I inherited from my parents. Bowie's Let's Dance is definitely one of my favorite albums. I have an original run, although in pretty rough shape, Led Zeppelin (I).

giliad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got a turntable and about a hundred odd vinyls handed down - guess it's time to start collecting xD