Wall E should have been nominated for Best Picture!

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Edited By Mushir

I have seen most of the films that have been nominated for Best Picture and I have to say, Wall E definitely deserves a spot on that list. I have no idea why an animated can't be nominated for best picture? The only one I remember is Beauty and the Beast, and that was a long time ago. This movie had great animation, story and characters. Im a 100% sure its gonna win Best Animated Film, while Kung Fu Panda was great too, it had a quite overused story.

I think the judges should appreciate animated movies more and not be so afraid of nominating them. Im sure many people will agree with me.
Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Mushir

I have seen most of the films that have been nominated for Best Picture and I have to say, Wall E definitely deserves a spot on that list. I have no idea why an animated can't be nominated for best picture? The only one I remember is Beauty and the Beast, and that was a long time ago. This movie had great animation, story and characters. Im a 100% sure its gonna win Best Animated Film, while Kung Fu Panda was great too, it had a quite overused story.

I think the judges should appreciate animated movies more and not be so afraid of nominating them. Im sure many people will agree with me.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By RHCPfan24

Yes, I agree. Currently, there is a lot of commotion at Citizen Kane's thread about the Academy Awards right now regarding animated films, and I agree with the general consensus. Wall-E is a unique, charming, and overall excellent film that deserves a spot next to the best. Unfortunately, though, the Hollywood business and Academy of MPAS still doesn't accept them with open arms. It sucks, I know.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By The_Dude

I loved wall-E in the beginning, but that movie had an identity crisis (don't flame me) I agree with it not being on that list.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mushir
The_Dude said:
"I loved wall-E in the beginning, but that movie had an identity crisis (don't flame me) I agree with it not being on that list."
Ah well, everyone is entitled to they're own opinion.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Systech

Pixar movies/animated films are never nominated for Best Picture. I don't expect anything more from the Academy because they're composed of a bunch of old dudes that don't get art.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_Dude

Okay, I don't want to be taken wrong here I love Pixar, I think they do great things and the deeper meaning behind their movies are normally very powerful. They tell great stories and they straight up are the bar when it comes to what they do. However I personally have never seen a Pixar movie where I would be able to justify it winning the "best picture" award. I have seen every Pixar movie since they were aquired by Disney, and I have yet to see one that I really truly dislike. But none that I have seen yet deserve that award...maybe I am just crazy though.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bulldog19892

At least it's not as bad as the Grammy's. Those awards are complete bullshit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It should be, Wall-E was a kick ass film.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

I utterly agree. This really makes me feel the best animated film award is outdated and, if there is to be an animated film award, at least have it for best animation or art style or something rather than segregated them into a different category for Pixar to win every year.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheFreeMan

I definitely agree. WALL-E was a amazing movie, possibly my fave of the year. At least there's some solace for it being nominated for Animated Film (which it really looks like it's going to win)

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
TheFreeMan said:
"I definitely agree. WALL-E was a amazing movie, possibly my fave of the year. At least there's some solace for it being nominated for Animated Film (which it really looks like it's going to win)"
I'd really like to see the tallies to see who voted for shit like Kung-Fu Panda and Bolt.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Illmatic

I loved Wall-E. But animated films seem to be the Hip-Hop in the Grammy's of the 80's. Regardless of the quality it will produce, it won't be recognized till some stigma against the medium is gone. It'll take more than just Wall-E to really break through. We'll need an absolute masterpiece.

jangofett88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By jangofett88

This is one of the things that crushes me about the horrible stigma that animated films never get nominated for best picture. WALL-E was definitely my 2008 movie of the year and probably my second favorite movie of all time after Apollo 13. While it is getting some notoriety, it still bums me out that it was not at least nominated for best picture.

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheFreeMan
HandsomeDead said:
"TheFreeMan said:
"I definitely agree. WALL-E was a amazing movie, possibly my fave of the year. At least there's some solace for it being nominated for Animated Film (which it really looks like it's going to win)"
I'd really like to see the tallies to see who voted for shit like Kung-Fu Panda and Bolt."
I haven't seen Bolt (probably not going to), but I watched Kung Fu Panda with my 2 year old cousin a while ago.

It was pretty fun, but that was about as far as it went. I can't imagine it getting many (if any) votes.
Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By Gump

WALL-E... is... just... undescriptible. WALL-E is WALL-E.
WALL-E for the nomination!

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weltal
The_Dude said:
"I loved wall-E in the beginning, but that movie had an identity crisis (don't flame me) I agree with it not being on that list."
Absolutely agree. I loved the film up until the humans were introduced. It was still great but it just fell so far from what I was hoping the film was going to be, based on the first portion of the movie.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By StaticFalconar
The_Dude said:
Identity crisis? care to elaborate to those that don't see what you mean?
fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By fr0br0

I've got three reasons to why it wouldn't be nominated.

1. It's an animated film.

2. It's a Pixar film.

3. It's an animated Pixar film.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Hamz

WALL-E was the best film of 2008 for me and it is so disappointing to not see it get the chance for best picture.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9
deactivated-5aeccee38cdf9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RHCPfan24 said:
"Yes, I agree. Currently, there is a lot of commotion at Citizen Kane's thread about the Academy Awards right now regarding animated films, and I agree with the general consensus. Wall-E is a unique, charming, and overall excellent film that deserves a spot next to the best. Unfortunately, though, the Hollywood business and Academy of MPAS still doesn't accept them with open arms. It sucks, I know."
  I agree.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wolverine
Twilight said:
"I have seen most of the films that have been nominated for Best Picture and I have to say, Wall E definitely deserves a spot on that list. I have no idea why an animated can't be nominated for best picture? The only one I remember is Beauty and the Beast, and that was a long time ago. This movie had great animation, story and characters. Im a 100% sure its gonna win Best Animated Film, while Kung Fu Panda was great too, it had a quite overused story.
"
Wall-E was great but just like The Dark Knight it isn't the the type of movie that wins Oscars.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By Willy105
Fr0Br0 said:
"I've got three reasons to why it wouldn't be nominated.

2. It's a Pixar film.

3. It's an animated Pixar film."
Those are reasons why it should WIN.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Willy105
Weltal said:
"The_Dude said:
Absolutely agree. I loved the film up until the humans were introduced. It was still great but it just fell so far from what I was hoping the film was going to be, based on the first portion of the movie."
What was the movie going to be about then!?!
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snipzor
Fr0Br0 said:
"I've got three reasons to why it wouldn't be nominated.

2. It's a Pixar film.

3. It's an animated Pixar film."
Well you only need "3" and even then the reason would be because they would win EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Pixar is that awesome.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Willy105
HandsomeDead said:
"TheFreeMan said:
I'd really like to see the tallies to see who voted for shit like Kung-Fu Panda and Bolt."
Kong Fu Panda and Bolt were actually good movies.

But not like Wall-E.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By c1337us

Weltal said:

"The_Dude said:
Absolutely agree. I loved the film up until the humans were introduced. It was still great but it just fell so far from what I was hoping the film was going to be, based on the first portion of the movie."

I never loved the film. But I was enjoying it somewhat up until about the same point. I agree that it shouldnt be one the list. I havent seen any of the other animated films nominated so I dont know, but l would imagine that it would be winning that category easily based off the support it has gotten.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By weltal
Willy105 said:
What was the movie going to be about then!?!"
First off, "!?!"? Really? Someone needs to lay off the caffeine.

Anyway, I never said the movie was "going to be" about anything else, but rather the first half of the movie had me enthralled and deeply invested and then the point at which they meet the humans I did a complete 180 and lost interest. I thought it was a good film even with the human element but I feel like their inclusion was an incredibly disappointing turn. Without them I probably would have had a much more entertaining time watching Wall-E and EVE and perhaps other speech inhibited creatures/robots interact. Besides that the not-so-thinly veiled commentary against humanities over-reliance on technology didn't help interest me nor the the fat and uninteresting human characters that are supposed to represent how gluttonous, idiotic and lazy we are.

In summation;
Wall-E = Awesome
EVE = Fantastic
Humans = Determent to my enjoyment.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#28  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I personally rate Wall-E fairly low out of all the Pixar movies I've seen. Sure, it's Pixar, so it is literally impossible for it to be crap, but I wasn't a fan of the preachy message they were trying to shove in with all the other stuff.

But hey, I could care less about movie award shows because they are all junk.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By c1337us

ArbitraryWater said:

"I personally rate Wall-E fairly low out of all the Pixar movies I've seen. Sure, it's Pixar, so it is literally impossible for it to be crap, but I wasn't a fan of the preachy message they were trying to shove in with all the other stuff.

But hey, I could care less about movie award shows because they are all junk."

I am not a fan of Pixar films so I am not familiar with all of them. But arent most of them concerned with some form of moral lesson under tone? Is it the message in this particular film that you didnt like or is it the fact that they do it at all. Because Pixar is hardly alone in doing that. I guess they just do it with less subtlety because largely they are appealing to children as an audience (not saying adults shouldnt enjoy it) but its a fact that they are there to capture the family market particularly in the holidays.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Dude
Weltal said:
"Willy105 said:
What was the movie going to be about then!?!"
First off, "!?!"? Really? Someone needs to lay off the caffeine.

Anyway, I never said the movie was "going to be" about anything else, but rather the first half of the movie had me enthralled and deeply invested and then the point at which they meet the humans I did a complete 180 and lost interest. I thought it was a good film even with the human element but I feel like their inclusion was an incredibly disappointing turn. Without them I probably would have had a much more entertaining time watching Wall-E and EVE and perhaps other speech inhibited creatures/robots interact. Besides that the not-so-thinly veiled commentary against humanities over-reliance on technology didn't help interest me nor the the fat and uninteresting human characters that are supposed to represent how gluttonous, idiotic and lazy we are.

In summation;
Wall-E = Awesome
EVE = Fantastic
Humans = Determent to my enjoyment."
See, thank you, I am so glad some one else gets it. You share almost my exact feelings on the film. The beginning was just so enthralling and exciting, it was almost like a Charlie Chaplin film with a more serious tone.  Then with EVE, she added an entire new element, some sort of connection that you just understood without words.

But like you said, after the humans are introduced the quality of the movie just sinks.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By jakob187

Well, I just now finally saw the movie (watched it online, gonna finally buy it on DVD because I now know that the $35 for the 3-disc is worth it).

It was a fantastic movie, and easily one of Pixar's three best films.  While I still like Finding Nemo and The Incredibles more than Wall-E, I'm sure that can change quickly.

The great thing about Wall-E was that it was a film that can be placed on the same pedestal as great classics like The Godfather or Deer Hunter or Singin in the Rain...well, you get the point.  I can't say that I felt that way with any of the other flicks besides the two I mentioned.  I think that it IS a shame it didn't get nominated for Best Picture.  Hell, I think it's a shame that it was ONE OF THE BEST REVIEWED FILMS OF THE YEAR, and yet Benjamin Button sits on 74% or something like that on Rotten Tomatoes.

But you can't say that it's honestly prejudice against animated movies for Best Picture...as if you'll remember, Beauty and the Beast was nominated and it surprised the hell out of everyone.  Therefore, it's not like the Academy didn't consider it at all.

Nonetheless, it is a goddamn shame.

In other news related to Pixar, I am DYING to see Up, their next movie.  I have a feeling that Ed Asner's gonna put me on an emotional rollercoaster ride with that flick, the same way that All In The Family did.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater
c1337us said:
"

ArbitraryWater said:

"I personally rate Wall-E fairly low out of all the Pixar movies I've seen. Sure, it's Pixar, so it is literally impossible for it to be crap, but I wasn't a fan of the preachy message they were trying to shove in with all the other stuff.

But hey, I could care less about movie award shows because they are all junk."

I am not a fan of Pixar films so I am not familiar with all of them. But arent most of them concerned with some form of moral lesson under tone? Is it the message in this particular film that you didnt like or is it the fact that they do it at all. Because Pixar is hardly alone in doing that. I guess they just do it with less subtlety because largely they are appealing to children as an audience (not saying adults shouldnt enjoy it) but its a fact that they are there to capture the family market particularly in the holidays.

"
Well, I'm pretty sure that Toy Story didn't bluntly say "In the future everyone will be fat and wasteful enough to screw up the planet!" Sure, they all have some form of moral undertone, but this one was the one with the in your face message. I go to movies to be entertained, not to be preached to (that's why I hated Happy Feet).

Also, just to make sure my opinion is known, I actually liked Wall-E. Just not as much as some of the other Pixar Films.
Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Steven

Agreed.  It was a great movie, but of course I've seen like none of the movies nominated for anything except for Wall-E, Batman, and Benjamin Button.  But I loved those first two a ton, and Kung Fu Panda too.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By jakob187

Well, but here's the thing:  should Wall-E even be considered in the same category as Kung Fu Panda and whatever the hell else is nominated?  Really?  That movie seriously goes above and beyond the call of duty.  Sure, it's "in your face" with the message, but at the same time, it does a good job of being an entertaining and funny film as well.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwoOneFive

no but i do think gran torino should have been. 

wall-e's ending was a big let down. they all started walking, and then all the stuff they were developing up to that point went down the drain. 
the humans really did kill it, i mean, the dialogue was okay but they looked ridiculous. and made no sense walking. 
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive
jakob187 said:
"Well, but here's the thing:  should Wall-E even be considered in the same category as Kung Fu Panda and whatever the hell else is nominated?  Really?  That movie seriously goes above and beyond the call of duty.  Sure, it's "in your face" with the message, but at the same time, it does a good job of being an entertaining and funny film as well."
definitely not in your face, not nearly as "in your face" as Happy Feet (most liberal biased brainwashing movie ever)
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Red

Yes. It is an incredibly fun, graphically amazing, funny and witty movie.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By c1337us
ArbitraryWater said:
Well, I'm pretty sure that Toy Story didn't bluntly say "In the future everyone will be fat and wasteful enough to screw up the planet!" Sure, they all have some form of moral undertone, but this one was the one with the in your face message. I go to movies to be entertained, not to be preached to (that's why I hated Happy Feet).

Also, just to make sure my opinion is known, I actually liked Wall-E. Just not as much as some of the other Pixar Films."
Fair point.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By teh_destroyer
HandsomeDead said:
"I utterly agree. This really makes me feel the best animated film award is outdated and, if there is to be an animated film award, at least have it for best animation or art style or something rather than segregated them into a different category for Pixar to win every year."

Outdated?Its only been around for 9 years >_>
TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By TomA

I tottaly agree with you.I hate it when the only movies that get nominated are Drama's with AAA actors and usually some sort of emotional message.I mean COME ON! there boring to watch and they are usually mostly the same anyways.More comedies and action films should be nominated.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Dude
TomA said:
"I tottaly agree with you.I hate it when the only movies that get nominated are Drama's with AAA actors and usually some sort of emotional message.I mean COME ON! there boring to watch and they are usually mostly the same anyways.More comedies and action films should be nominated."
Looking at this years line up for the "best film" award, none of them were boring to watch, all of them have great messages (emotional or not), 3 of them had some new faces in them that were wonderful on screen, and all of them were very different, and they all absolutely deserved to be nominated before Wall-E.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vidiot

I just watched this movie a few weeks ago for the first time on BluRay.

It is simply one of the greatest films I have ever seen. The entire first half of the film has about a few lines of dialog, and yet anyone can immediately connect and understand this robot and his situation. To be able to pull that off is such a risk, and the fact that it worked in such a brilliant fashion is even more astounding. Like just about every Pixar created movie, the sheer mechanics and themes of the story work so well that simply categorizing it for something for children is absolutely ludicrous.

Unless you think the destruction of the planet do to corporations taking over the planet promoting unrestricted pollution, resulting the jettison of the human race into space where they become immobile fat blobs that cant get out of their recliner chairs is traditional children storytelling material. Just like The Incredibles, the focus of telling a good multifaceted story shines through.

It's disgruntling this movie is not even nominated. I could just see the closed door meeting where they simply brush it off just because "it's animated."

96% on rotten tomatoes anyone? The few negative reviewers were absolutely destroyed.

Avatar image for theuncannygiraffe
theuncannygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Oscar nominations are always cause for contention, but I agree - Wall -E should have gotten a nomination. It was the only movie I watched last year that lived up to and even exceeded my expectations, and which I wanted to watch again.

I'm not saying any of the films on the list don't deserve to be there - to be honest, I'm not sure which one you would 'throw out' - but none of them (of the three I've seen, anyway) left me thinking 'hot-damn! That's a good movie.' the way Wall-E did.

People here keep going on about 'it was preaching to me'. I never felt that. I think the 'message' and the story went hand in hand, as opposed to a moral message being forced in. And in any case, it's not as if Best Picture noms of yesteryear have been devoid of 'moral' films. I disagree that this is what Wall-E is anyway, but each to their own.

I've never been sure what to make of the 'Best Animated Film' category. On the one hand, as animation is often not considered as being in the same league as 'live action' film it is great that there is space for excellent animated films to be recognised. On the other hand, however, having this seperate category in some ways reinforces the idea that animation is a secondary form of storytelling. I can'r help but feel that had this category not existed, then people may have been more inclined to give Wall-E a best pic nomination, since it wouldn't be represented anywhere else. Look at what it's nominated with: Kung Fu Panda? Is that really in the same league? Don't get me worng, it's an enjoyable enough movie, but it's very generic and frothy. I haven't seen Bolt, but I'm sure it's the same - goodf but not great (the story is recylced from a Disney Movie sequal, for pete's sake!). Wall-E is only being lumped in with these because it's animated, and that's a shame.

I take part in an online survay once a week about TV and Film viewing. They ask how many horror/romance/comedy programmes I watch, and things like that. Anyway, one of the recurring questions is 'how many hours of animated television do you watch a week (eg, The Simpsons, South Park, Spoungebob Squarepants, etc)?', with another being 'how many animated films do you watch a week (eg, Shrek, Toy Story, Persopolis, etc)?' Are you kidding me? You think the audience for Shrek is the same as the one for Persopolis? Seriously? Or rather, the people who made it think that just because two things are animated, they are the same type of programme? My god. How much doubling up of the Spoungebob and South Park audiences do they expect? (stoner students aside) It does my head in!

But I digress. Animation is a technique which is just as valid as live action - in fact when used right it is easily the most beautiful and captivating form of moviemaking imo: there is no limit to what can be illustrated except where the imagination of the writers and animators takes them. People just hear 'animation', and think 'for kids only', which is a damnned shame because they are missing out!

Also - I get that most people here get that. I'm just venting at the academy. :)
lol

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By Shadow

Well my good sir, that is because of the ever-looming fact that the academy largely consists of self important FUCKTARDS who can't acknowledge the existance of animation as film.  It's the same sort of douche-baggery which lead to the creation of Roger Ebert.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By agentboolen

Yep I totally agree with you there!!!!  I loved that movie.  It totally warns us of how lazy people could become if technology was doing every little thing.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@agentboolen said:
" Yep I totally agree with you there!!!!  I loved that movie.  It totally warns us of how lazy people could become if technology was doing every little thing. "

No Caption Provided
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By warxsnake

The Dark Knight should have won best original score instead of that indian bullshit. TDK wasnt even nominated..

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ryanwho

I never understood why foreign films and animated films were segregated into their own categories. The best movie is the best movie; where it came from and how it was made aren't relevant.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HandsomeDead
@warxsnake said:
" The Dark Knight should have won best original score instead of that indian bullshit. TDK wasnt even nominated.. "
Nope. Should have been WALL-E.
obiwan1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By obiwan1337

wall e was an egotistical bastard.  all he said the whole movie was his own name.  get over yourself you metal jackass.