Want to Play DVDs in Windows 8? Then Pay Up!

• 52 results
PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PatchRowcester

This just warms my heart.

Windows 8 is looking worse by the day to me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-8-microsoft-blu-ray-dvd-playback,15544.html#xtor=RSS-181

Microsoft is incredibly excited about Windows 8.

In fact, it is so excited about its new operating system that it is compelled to promise that the new operating system will "delight media enthusiasts around the world". However, DVD and Blu-ray playback support is not going to be part of that pleasure unless you shell out a few extra bucks.

Déjà vu. Remember the outcry when Microsoft announced in 2006, shortly before the release of Windows Vista, that the spanking new operating system and its Windows Media Player would not support DVD, HD-DVD and Blu-ray playback out of the box? Well, the same is happening with Windows 8. Back in 2006, Microsoft argued that the it was worried about unsigned drivers and copy-protection concerns that may have put it in the line of fire of Hollywood. In the end, Hollywood had argued for years that Windows was the Pandora's Box of digital evil.

This time around, the justifications provided by Microsoft are not about copy protection anymore. However, Microsoft is still dancing around the actual reason why DVD playback will be cut. My personal favorite? DVDs just don't sell anymore and are in an unstoppable decline, so there is no reason to support DVDs in Windows anymore. Granted, I cannot remember the last time I watched a movie on a PC, but there are still plenty of people who, for example, enjoy DVD playback on a notebook on an airplane. Tell them that DVDs optical media sales are in a decline and that would be the reason to cut DVD playback from Windows and you are sure to get an earful.

Of course, the real reason is mentioned in the post as well. It's about the cost of decoder licensing that Microsoft wants to recoup. You can still get DVD playback, but you will have to pay extra - as you did for Windows Vista if you wanted that feature in the Windows Media Player - and acquire the Media Center Pack or the pro pack to end up with Windows 8 Pro "with Media Center". There was no information how much those extras will cost, but if you want to avoid them, you also have the option of choosing third party media software solutions, which have now an opportunity to market themselves in a much more efficient way.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully

I honestly do not give a shit. I cannot tell you the last time I watched a DVD or Blu ray on my computer.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PatchRowcester

@SSully said:

I honestly do not give a shit. I cannot tell you the last time I watched a DVD or Blu ray on my computer.

Were going to upgrade to Windows 8?

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

VLC.

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By MrRedwine

Some Windows 8 devices will likely ship without a physical media drive at all. i.e. ARM tablets. Why should Microsoft (or the consumer) pay for licensing they will NEVER be able to use?

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I don't see an issue with this to me and someone will find a way to run the files I need by the time I care to upgrade.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

@depecheload said:

VLC.

Not only that, there are a bazillion million trillion gazillion ways to play pretty much any form of media on your computer. If Microsoft doesn't have you covered for free, then someone does and probably at a quality just as good if not better.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@PatchRowcester said:

However, DVD and Blu-ray playback support is not going to be part of that pleasure unless you shell out a few extra bucks.

What's the controversy? I doubt that Microsoft would just hand out Windows 8 computers/OS installation discs for free. That's not how business works.

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sign

I give this a resounding .... meh. As others have said, I can't remember any time in the past 4-5 years that I have wanted to play a DVD or Blu-ray in my PC, and even when I did it certainly wasn't using WMP. If I need to play a video I will likely use VLC. I would rather have a cheaper OS with no DVD/Blu-ray licensing fees baked in, than pay for something I won't use.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By audiosnow

Not their classiest move, but they are hoping for more adopters of Zune Marketplace, as well as to not have to license codecs.

I think they noticed that nobody minded that the MacBook Air was missing a CDR, and took it to the next step.

This isn't the proper time to drop DVD drivers, but that time is very soon; I know a lot of people who exclusively watch movies through streaming.

@depecheload said:

VLC.

Exactly what I came here to say. I haven't used Mac DVD Player or WMP to watch a DVD in forever.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By zidd

Most OEMs (Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc..) will likely cover this added cost because they did it when dvd playback codecs were removed from windows vista business.

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By hawkinson76

Um, OP, I'm pretty sure no one uses the built in MPEG-2 codec when watching anything nowadays. If you aren't savvy enough to install LVC/Media Player Classic/Xoom Player/Real Player/etc or the ffmpeg library, chances are you are using the bloatware that came pre installed on your computer (since it probably hi-jacked all of Windows Media Players functions).

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic

You know how people hung on to XP from 2003 til today? I'll be doing the same with the FABULOUS Windows 7 so I don't care.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Sackmanjones
@AhmadMetallic said:
You know how people hung on to XP from 2003 til today? I'll be doing the same with the FABULOUS Windows 7 so I don't care.
I'm with this guy^^. Holy Shit Im not following you? I've made a horrible error that I will correct now!!
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Sambambo

Who the hell would get angry about this?

One player will not support it, who gives a crap?

Anyone watching movies on their PC will know of different programs used to play them, and if it doesn't work and you don't know, a quick internet search will lead you in the right direction.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@Sackmanjones said:
@AhmadMetallic said:
I'm with this guy^^. Holy Shit Im not following you? I've made a horrible error that I will correct now!!
I don't think I can ever forgive you. Please, don't ask me to!!!!!
Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones
@AhmadMetallic: Also I clicked on your name and looked at some Max Payne stuff so I bought the bundle on steam... See what you did! Now go on the thread I just made and answer my questions!
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#18  Edited By JasonR86

Eh. The only time I use a disk drive is to rip a CD and I haven't bought a CD in a while.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mesklinite

So I'm assuming the cost saved will be deduced from the product right?

Right?

oooo... right, it wont.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

Being able to play a Bluray in my room would actually be really useful considering I don't have a TV in my room and instead have things hooked up to my monitors. Granted it may not be the best idea to buy things that I can only watch in my living room, but some of my movies are awfully pretty (Paprika, A Scanner Darkly, Sin City). Shelling out $50 or so just to be able to watch half of my movies is no fun.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SSully

@PatchRowcester said:

@SSully said:

Were going to upgrade to Windows 8?

I won't be an earlier adopter, but I plan on having it on one of my computer within a year or two of its release.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PatchRowcester

@Video_Game_King said:

@PatchRowcester said:

However, DVD and Blu-ray playback support is not going to be part of that pleasure unless you shell out a few extra bucks.

What's the controversy? I doubt that Microsoft would just hand out Windows 8 computers/OS installation discs for free. That's not how business works.

This is about DVD playback, not about MS handing out DVDs...*facepalm*

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

@PatchRowcester:

I was being facetious.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kindgineer

I haven't even used my Blu-ray drive for games, let alone any form of video media. This sounds like an outcry from someone desperately looking for something to be mad about.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By mesoian

@depecheload: @depecheload said:

VLC.

Seriously. Why would you bother with anything else. This is such a non-issue, it wasn't even worth mentioning.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mesoian

@Mesklinite said:

Right?

oooo... right, it wont.

No, I think it will. I think it's safe to say that 0 dollars will be subtracted from the final cost of the Windows 8 licence.

Who pays for DVD playback in 2012? The best playback solutions are all freeware.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Sooty

I don't even have a DVD drive anymore. I install Windows via USB drives and if I want to watch a DVD I own I will use my PS3, or I'll just pirate a DVD rip of it. (I don't care about the legality, I own the disc version)

Then again, I pretty much never watch DVD quality stuff anymore, because 1080P Blu-Ray > * only exceptions is shit like Seinfeld which I've been meaning to obtain digitally anyway, it's just more convenient than dealing with 4 discs per season and them shitty menus and copyright screens. Ugh.

My MacBook Air is also driveless, I have not missed it once.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PatchRowcester

@Mesoian said:

VLC.

Seriously. Why would you bother with anything else. This is such a non-issue, it wasn't even worth mentioning.

The problem is the home theater version does not include native DVD play back. I can totally see why that would not sit very well with consumers.

Not everyone uses their computer the same. Of course VLC can be used, but if that were the case, no point in buying a media center edition, right? Just saying.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By musubi

Kind of a shitty move but like others have said... theres a dozen ways around it and honestly I'm sticking with Windows 7.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VierasTalo

I frequently use my pc to play DVDs as I have an HDMI hooked to my TV, allowing me to watch those glorious region-locked Criterions without a separate region free-dvd player. Still, this won't concern me as I don't use WMP.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jams

@PatchRowcester said:

@Mesoian said:

VLC.

The problem is the home theater version does not include native DVD play back. I can totally see why that would not sit very well with consumers.

Not everyone uses their computer the same. Of course VLC can be used, but if that were the case, no point in buying a media center edition, right? Just saying.

I'm sure some one out there is going to suffer a bit when they find out they can't play DVD's right off the bat. Windows 7 just took a shit on my computer and I'm using ubuntu in the meantime until I figure out if I'm going to keep trying to fix windows or just reformat completely. I wish I wasn't a PC gamer or I would say fuck all to Windows right now. I was thinking about upgrading to 8 but forget it now.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

...and Windows 8 was my idea.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mesoian

@Jams said:

@PatchRowcester said:

@Mesoian said:

VLC.

I'm sure some one out there is going to suffer a bit when they find out they can't play DVD's right off the bat. Windows 7 just took a shit on my computer and I'm using ubuntu in the meantime until I figure out if I'm going to keep trying to fix windows or just reformat completely. I wish I wasn't a PC gamer or I would say fuck all to Windows right now. I was thinking about upgrading to 8 but forget it now.

Wait, did you try to upgrade to 7 instead of backing up your files and formatting fresh?

Cuz if so, there's your problem.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By stonyman65

DVDs and Blu-rays can't play on Windows anyway, at least not without a codec pack. It's always been that way. Nothing new.

At this point, there is really no reason to switch to 8 unless you want the Metro interface. I have a feeling that it's going to be another Vista...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MrKlorox

This is just to confuse people who are not proficient with PCs into spending money on a feature they can get for free.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#36  Edited By Tireyo

Blah. =-/

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PatchRowcester

@rebgav said:

@PatchRowcester said:

@Mesoian said:

VLC.

Dude, anyone buying a media center PC isn't going to run into this problem because they are shopping in 2003.

That statement sounds way too arrogant to me. People who buy windows 8 MCE are not shopping in 2003. I do feel for those people though, they don't know what they are getting themselves into.

However, it sounds like if the problem doesn't effect you personally, that problem doesn't even exist. All the statements made by people are correct. Folks who are acquainted with technology won't even think this is a problem, but computers are not solely meant to be used by tech enthusiasts. There are many users who have no clue what VLC is.

To those people, this is probably going to be annoying as hell. To get my mother to switch away from internet explorer to chrome has been an uphill battle. I think those are primarily the kind of users who will be effected by this dumb move.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PatchRowcester

@MrKlorox said:

This is just to confuse people who are not proficient with PCs into spending money on a feature they can get for free.

This is absolutely right.

PatchRowcester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PatchRowcester

@rebgav said:

@PatchRowcester said:

To get my mother to switch away from internet explorer to chrome has been an uphill battle. I think those are primarily the kind of users who will be effected by this dumb move.

Those users are not going to be anywhere near an OEM version of Win 8. As has already been said, the pack-in bloat from manufacturers like HP, Dell &Co will surely continue to include DVD codecs because that is the sort of feature that their customers want. Unless you envision consumers like your mother suddenly deciding to build their own PCs or upgrade their own OS, what is the problem?

@PatchRowcester said:

@MrKlorox said:

This is absolutely right.

That was the problem. People getting confused and paying more money for features that are already there. I just think its a bad move by Microsoft. I am not going to affected by it in any way. I do watch DVDs, but I use VLC.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SexualBubblegumX
@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm one of those XP FOREVER guys. Seriously, miscrosoft can suck it, they got it right with XP and I refuse to ever 'upgrade' to something else.
KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 43

#41  Edited By KillyDarko
@depecheload said:

VLC.

This. I never use Windows Media Player anyway.
sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sirdesmond

LOLed at this thread's headline.

How much is VLC Player again?

mabber36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mabber36

people still use dvds?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I doubt I'll switch to 8 anyway since 7 is sooooooo good, but if more companies had Linux support, I would've switched years ago.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikkaQ

Honestly I don't know anyone who wouldn't just grab VLC upon install anyway. This isn't a big deal, really.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By korwin

@rebgav said:

@Mesklinite said:

Right?

oooo... right, it wont.

The base price of Win 7 x64 OEM is $99. I'd happily pay that for a version of Windows which was pared down to just the OS, some system tools and Notepad. Fuck it, I'd pay more. I'd pay a premium to skip the bloat.

Shut you mouth right now, your going to give them ideas :D

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By korwin

@SexualBubblegumX said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'm one of those XP FOREVER guys. Seriously, miscrosoft can suck it, they got it right with XP and I refuse to ever 'upgrade' to something else.

I look forward to you stream of complaints when you can't play new games because they're all DX11 or higher :P

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By nintendoeats

I still haven't seen the reason that I want to be using Windows 8.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AiurFlux

I seriously hope that Windows 8 is a complete flop, both media and sales wise. This entire thing is just going to be PR agents earning their pay for a change by saying the same scripted bullshit to the point where you might as well put a broken record on. It'll probably sound better. All I know is I won't be buying it. Hell I wouldn't even waste my bandwidth and pirate the fucking thing. Their "Metro" interface looks like the single worst design choice I've ever seen in a computer OS and whoever thought of it and whoever is proud of it should kill themselves. Yes you can turn it off, but the fact that it's even there taking up resources is an affront to any kind of software design.

Anyway, VLC. It boggles my mind that people would even still use Windows Media Player. I guess the reason people use it though is because everything auto-defaults to it and they don't know better.

In other words... not a fuck was given.

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SexualBubblegumX
@Korwin said:

@SexualBubblegumX said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

I look forward to you stream of complaints when you can't play new games because they're all DX11 or higher :P

Considering how rarely I play games on the PC anymore. That's just never gonna happen.