Warcraft might be good?

nkster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nkster

So i like to check out the BFCA (Broadcast Film Critics Association) website from time to time because they seem to have a bug in their system where you can see aggregate movie review scores pre-release/embargo. For example there are no reviews out for the Nice guys yet, but it has a score of 86/100 so its probably a pretty good movie. (these scores tend to be pretty similar to rottentomatoes/metacritic)

Anyway i've been checking the warcraft page pretty regularly and just today a score showed up.

http://www.criticschoice.com/search?s=warcraft

its currently at 80/100, while that may only be based on a couple reviews that were the first to upload, it kinda seems really encouraging.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I hope so! The more I see of it, the more I think it could actually be kinda cool. It looks so gleefully fantastical, but also genuinely... I dunno, endearing? That clip of Oghrim and Durotan discussing Gul'dan was surprisingly compelling. And coupled with the clip of Medivh attacking Khadgar, with the latter bringing up Fel magic, I get the sense it could be a pretty solid adaptation.

Also Duncan Jones.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@theht: I felt the same way after I saw those clips too. I was extremely worried about this movie, but now I'm very optimistic That said, the Garona clip was a little iffy, but certainly didn't seem terrible. Here's hoping the rest of the movie delivers as well.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Surely not!
It might be, but I will still be surprised.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hearing some stuff about the plot that made it sound like it might have more to it than it looks like at first glance. On the other hand, every time the orcs are sharing a screen with the humans it looks completely wrong, and I think the half orc woman from some of the clips looks...really crap.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Naoiko

Man I hope it doesn't suck. I actually would like to see it, but if its terrible I won't be wasting my money.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm going to see it as I have a membership anyways and the trailer made it look at least decent. I didn't really like the style of the armor and all that. If felt a bit too much like the game.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hnke

I've seen some people who were at screenings talk positively about it which surprised me. I'm now hopeful that it might actually be a pretty good movie. There's something simultaneously goofy-looking but awesome and refreshing about the design of the armor and magic which makes me kinda glad they leaned into the vibrant Blizzard art design rather than going for some dreary LOTR/GOT middle ground.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maybe all are secret heartstone player give the movie a pass

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll probably be fine.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't believe you but I want it to be. Regardless, I'm probably never going to watch it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I always loved that early Warcraft RTS lore, before WoW sent new story bits into the world like a chaingun. So I want this to be super awesome.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Duncan Jones so I am hopeful. But I have also seen In the name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, and man it's going to take some good reviews to remove the taste of THAT thing. Genuinely one of the worst movies I've seen, worse than the other Uwe Boll video game movies.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good directors usually make good movies and Duncan Jones is a good director.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Duncan Jones (the director) has been sharing quite a lot of behind the scenes stuff on Twitter and coupled that with the recent PAX panel plus that trailer I'm ridiculously excited for the movie. It seems both Blizzard and the crew behind the movie are making this to the best of their abilities and I hope it delivers.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I must be one of the few who thought moon was fantastic but was pretty let down by source code. Don't really have a horse in this race (only briefly played wow), but there's a chance it could be decent.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By coolarman

I want it to be good not because of Warcraft

I want it to be good so Duncan Jones can keep making movies.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I think every trailer has looked bad, and I still think the CGI looks SyFy levels.

I hope I am wrong, and would really want it to be good.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I had an old family member say "I'd rather see Warcraft over Civil War."..... so maybe there's hope... I mean I won't lie, "it's basically avatar," it could work...... I'm not feeling the trailers, and I haven't loved Warcraft since 2004, so when I see the film the film it feels like a distant relative to what I enjoyed as a teenager.

Wwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games are stories these days, so movie versions seem extra unnecessary, especially considering how good the visuals can be. Warcraft The Movie seems so unnecessary and weird and CGI. I dunno. Even as a previous WoW gamer I don't care and I can't see the general audience taking a shine to it. I predict a box-office bomb. I hope Blizz-Activision didn't sink too much money into it.

Are the characters going to be fun? The tone of the trailer seems kind of grim. The RTS were grim, but WoW is super not generally. I know what is going to happen, because I played the games. So, why do I want to see this? CGI isn't as much of a draw as when it was new in the late 90s. Is this a sequel to the WC adventure game they canceled? The whole thing is weird. I don't think I'll see it in a theater, but I'll rent it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It looks great, and that is definitelynot my 10 years veterancy in WoW talking. Not at all.

PS: I'm super excited to see it.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want it to be good not because of Warcraft

I want it to be good so Duncan Jones can keep making movies.

I'm with you on that, I loved Moon and while I think Source Code should have ended earlier, it was damn good.
This might be his biggest movie yet, but I'm just hopeful it does well so he can continue to do cool sci-fi flicks, or whatever else he has up his sleeve.
Fingers crossed, my guess is at worst it will be an average film, I don't think he is going to make something bad, don't know if the trailers show great though. The mix of real actors with all of that CGI is a little weird to me, but here is hoping he makes a good movie and the fans like what they see.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a lot of faith in Duncan Jones and the film has a look you don't normally see in cinema, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Plus, the premise has a ton of potential for nuanced storytelling.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pyrodactyl

I very, very much doubt that. All the trailers were terrible and the movie's whole aestetic looks like half bad CG, half Star Wars prequel green screen. What I could infer of the plot doesn't look great either. I'm still convinced it's going to be a disaster.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: You really thought so or are you being slightly hyperbolic? I didn't think the trailers looked terrible. Just 'okay'. I'm sort of with you on the aesthetic though. It looks too gamey for my taste. But perhaps in the movie it works? I'm not going to dismiss it just yet.

@crithon Man, Civil War is probably one of the best Marvel movies to date though. It is so good. The narrative, the character development, the action, the pacing... it just all works.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it looks like it should be fine. Not sure if it's going to be great or anything but certainly looks no worse than any other high budget cg film.

What I know of the lore is also pretty cool so I can see it being done well.

I predict moderate box office success.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By pyrodactyl

@zevvion: I'm serious, those trailers did nothing for me. They just made the movie look like a low rent avatar set in the most generic fantasy setting I can think of. Everything in those trailers rub me the wrong way.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Duncan jones was doing something else. Almost anything else would be better in my opinion.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It looks pretty cool to me, my wife is way excited for it. I'd like for it to make some money.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: That family member did change their tune after seeing the film, but I do think there's a fatigue going on with the Super Hero genre.... especially after Batman V Superman's funeral scene. And the trailers for Warcraft do look different enough from just the visuals of most trailers.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon said:

@zevvion: That family member did change their tune after seeing the film, but I do think there's a fatigue going on with the Super Hero genre.... especially after Batman V Superman's funeral scene. And the trailers for Warcraft do look different enough from just the visuals of most trailers.

I disagree with that. Batman vs Superman was just a bad film. Deadpool was a breath of fresh air that everyone and their mother loved and Civil War is being argued to be the best superhero movie of all time. Theaters are full to the brim. Because one was bad doesn't mean the entire genre is in fatigue. Far from it. It's just getting started.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: well, it's just them. Because BvS was such a slog of a film to endure that family member was annoyed then seeing an episode of Supergirl instead which is actually is cute and endearing to them. It's just how BvS just became this "MUST SEE FILM OF SUMMER" (in march) that it really did leave a stigma into the genre. I honestly am excited for Justice League Part 1 The Wrath of the Metron with the news of new producers just announced a new shiney production logo since the last one didn't leave an impact on anyone, this is going to be more of dragging feet until someone announces they quit. And the early word Xmen part 9 getting bad reviews..... yes, that some of these films are giving people the fatigue of "getting biggerurier."

But I am not taking anything away from you, I agree, Civil War is excellent, because it nails the head on what is about and handling the inner politics of the characters after so many stories. But every other film is kinda ruining the rest by trying to play catch up.

downloaded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By downloaded

I love the Warcraft universe and I love Blizzard. I am going to see it, and as long as they stay somewhat true to the Warcraft lore I'll probably enjoy it. That said, I am always a little put off by how tacky the CGI and costume design looks, especially considering how incredible Blizzard's CG cut scenes have always been.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: I don't know man, all the Marvel stuff is pretty consistently great. Deadpool and Civil War were both this year. It's nuts. How can one not be excited for Black Panther or better yet, Spider-Man after watching that?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I just see it often. I mean yeah, I'm like that type of guy that's been into genre anything since I was born. There just isn't enough variety in theater's to get people excited of the overall landscape. And hearing the early reviews of the new Xmen film has the same problems of these movies just getting "biggeruerir". Seeking out the Witch is more of a gamble, depending on the type of person that enjoys slow burn polanski horror or just gore hound horror. I just know people that tend to do anything else then see current films because of that risk and every other film is "END OF THE WORLD BOOMING SOUNDTRACK." I just notice too many people are apathetic and complacent about seeking something else out there. I say that because I can't seem to find anyone to see Green Room with.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crithon: Not sure if I understand you correctly, but are you saying superhero movies make people want to watch other types of movies less?

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chris Metzen was involved in the script, so expect a degree of ham-sandwich acting with lots of pathos. I wouldn't be surprised if the characters aren't particularly deep as well, or just have very simple motivations.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the fictional work Metzen's been involved in. This despite being a big fan of Blizzard's overall portfolio.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By pyrodactyl

Those early reviews are extremely negative. Comparing the movie to John Carter and Battlefield earth.

Called it

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

The few positive reviews make it sound like it's a flawed movie, but quite alright if you like Warcraft.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

does this mean Clue will always be the best adaptation of a game?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@crithon said:

but yet this is like the same problem with Final Fantasy Spirits Within, Roger Ebert gave that 3.5/4 stars.

Personally, I think that film is criminally underrated, but to each their own...

Meanwhile, I have not heard a single good thing about Warcraft until now. It's currently sitting at 38% on RT right now, sooooooo there's that. I don't really give a shit what critics think, for the most part. However, every trailer I've watched just made me think "I'll wait until home release."

YesIndeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By YesIndeed
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesindeed: You're in the minority on that one though. General consensus is that it was very different. People around me who usually aren't into superhero movies did indeed enjoy it a lot.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187: you know what, I'm not gonna lie to you..... I spent over 30 hours in life drawing and it was exciting seeing super realistic CG when Shriek was rocking the summer..... even if I could explain all the problems, only because I understand how humans works and not a super creepy robot.