Water pipe bust upstairs causing my appartment to be in ruins.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By teh_destroyer

I woke up at about 5:30am, heard a weird sound and thought that it was just pouring rain outside. I heard a scratching sound and decided to get up and see the cause by turning on my bedroom light, my heart sank to see tile all over my floor and buckets of water falling onto my flat screen lcd hdtv, i throw on a t-shirt and bolt toward the bathroom while dodging deep puddles of water in the carpet of my living room. I reach the bathroom only having to dodge more falling tiles, but no leaks coming from the bathroom. I call the folks after getting outside and address the situation to them and they shut the water off in the building, 20 minutes later water stops pouring on in. By that time my roommate was arriving home from work after I called him and we went to check the damage in his room, he lost everything, his tv, laptop, xbox 360 and wii to the massive water damage.
My tv somehow still works, but i doubt for very long, my pc was untouched. I have lost my xbox 360 and ps2, some of my game cases and strategy guides are ruined along with a bunch of dvd cases. We spent the day tearing apart our bedrooms and common area after checking in with the insurance company. We can't go home until everything is fixed and we have to start over again. We have $7000 worth of water damage in our apartment, I am having to crash at my parents house for a few days and my roommate is staying with a friend close to where he works at for the time being. This sucks, I have no love for a Monday like today :(.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Synthballs

Duder, that's pretty gay. My Condolences.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

You had insurance, though? So you'll be getting reimbursed for the losses, right?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By teh_destroyer
@ajamafalous said:
" You had insurance, though? So you'll be getting reimbursed for the losses, right? "
We don't have renters insurance and that is probably going to kick us in the balls. *sigh*
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan
@Synthballs:
I don't understand how trhat situation is "gay" but whatever. 

Anyway, that really sucks teh_destroyer, although insurance will cover it, it doesn't make up for all the hassle and shit you can't replace.  You can officially hate Monday.
commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By commandercup

Sucks, awesome that your PC wasn't fried so on the bright side of things: you can still play Starcraft 2! Glad to hear you have insurance.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ajamafalous
@teh_destroyer said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" You had insurance, though? So you'll be getting reimbursed for the losses, right? "
We don't have renters insurance and that is probably going to kick us in the balls. *sigh* "
So what does that mean for you in the long run?
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By teh_destroyer
@ajamafalous said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
" @ajamafalous said:
We don't have renters insurance and that is probably going to kick us in the balls. *sigh* "
So what does that mean for you in the long run? "
Renters insurance would have replaced everything for us in a situation like this. But because we don't the things our insurance company won't cover is lost.
inhaleandvomit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By inhaleandvomit

oh man, that is awful.  i would be crying.  tears of rage.
that happened to me in these godawful campus apartments i lived in during my junior year of undergrad.  it was over winter break, and the apartments did not see fit to inform me about it.  i came home to an apartment that smelled like a sewer, with industrial fans blowing to dry the carpet.  luckily for me, it only assaulted my bedroom, and the main casualty was my mattress pad.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ajamafalous
@teh_destroyer said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
" @ajamafalous said:
Renters insurance would have replaced everything for us in a situation like this. But because we don't the things our insurance company won't cover is lost. "
Do you know what you've lost that isn't covered yet?
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Jeffsekai

hahahhaha you suck. 

jk that sucks :(

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By RobotHamster

Shit that really sucks dude, I had a leak coming from my ceiling a week ago and I was complaining, but definitely not after hearing your story.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That really sucks, dude.  I would be pissed as hell.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By BraveToaster

Yesterday, a friend of mine returned home from vacation and there was mold all over his floor and furniture (old crappy military family housing), but he's in a newer model now.

drgrumbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By drgrumbles

Guess you learned a lesson. Pay the 300$ a year for renters insurance, at least that's what it is in CA.
Sorry to hear it happened though.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By meteora

That's pretty awful. Hopefully you can retrieve most of the damage done by insurance. Better to have some insurance than none when shit hits the fan. 

You have no idea how my heart was racing when the washing machine pipe broke upstairs... I can't recall but I think a small section of the ceiling just dropped on the floor with so much water leakage. The electricity just went off when that shit went on. Luckily there was minimal damage and no electronics destroyed in the process.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Damn, sorry to hear that.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FunExplosions

Holy crap. That's horrible. That's one of those things that just seems entirely unfair. It was completely out of your control. Here's to hoping you'll have yourselves situated relatively soon.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By crusader8463

Hope you get all your stuff back. I know I would be furious with the idiots who caused it to happen. I would literally need people to hold me down or else I would charge at the person and violently bash there head against the floor/wall until I was physical removed from the body kind of mad.

Avatar image for nikoalexander57
NikoAlexander57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NikoAlexander57

That sucks dude. My condolences, of course.

Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pleasureizmine

Good News Everybody
 Good News Everybody
JeffEater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JeffEater

Oh man that sucks,hope you get yout stuff back somehow. I guess...Pray to the water gods? Just kidding,but at least it wasn't a fire so you aren't dead!

@Pleasureizmine:
You suck

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By landon
@Pleasureizmine said:
"
 Good News Everyone!
 Good News Everyone!
"

Bad news...
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By teh_destroyer
@ajamafalous said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
" @ajamafalous said:
" @teh_destroyer said:
" @ajamafalous said:
Renters insurance would have replaced everything for us in a situation like this. But because we don't the things our insurance company won't cover is lost. "
Do you know what you've lost that isn't covered yet? "
My 360, ps2, might as well replace my tv, my 5.1 sound system, and some strategy guides and a few books. My bed is also destroyed, I am pretty sure my insurance won't cover for any of those things.
dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dutch42

Man that's heavy. I hope that you get everything resolved quickly and cleanly.