Weight Loss: Week 1

rt44tbtb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By rt44tbtb4

Keeping a weekly documentation of my diet, mainly for accountability. I might end up doing this once a day, to keep a more accurate picture of the foods I'm eating throughout the day. It would be kickass if you guys could give me tips, and just mainly pester me so I can't "forget" about it. Hope is to lose around 40 pounds. Thanks in advance for any and all support.

Current weight: 234 lb.

rt44tbtb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By rt44tbtb4

Keeping a weekly documentation of my diet, mainly for accountability. I might end up doing this once a day, to keep a more accurate picture of the foods I'm eating throughout the day. It would be kickass if you guys could give me tips, and just mainly pester me so I can't "forget" about it. Hope is to lose around 40 pounds. Thanks in advance for any and all support.

Current weight: 234 lb.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TheJohn

Stay active, and replace soda/candy with water/fruit and it'll be a breeze.
Good luck!

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By skywing

Lets do this! 
I am going to make sure u and I are aware of our diets. 
(BTW I don't look like my icon, i'm actually a 210 lb man looking to get to 180lbs) 

Just be sure to post every now and then, best of luck to both of us.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By WickedCestus

Good luck! I've heard from various sources that losing weight is hard.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Undeadpool

For real, I lost around 10 lbs when I first went to college by cutting out soda alone. If you drink alcohol, you may have to cut out or at least severely limit your intake of that too since one drink (beer, wine, shot) is around 150 calories. Portion control is also really important. If you go out to eat, or even just around the house, put less food than you think you'll actually need on your plate, then wait 15 minutes after you've eaten. If you're stilling hungry, eat more, if not, stop eating.
Other than that just do stuff. I've begun to walk for 1-2 hours every day and it's working pretty well. It helps to have a destination in mind to keep you motivated to actually do the walk. Other things like doing push-ups or crunches for 10-15 minutes/day, get some dumbells and lift those.

Jikla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Jikla

As Thejohn said above if you stop drinking soda and you used to drink soda often you can easily loose like 3 kgs a week if you're on a diet. And for breakfast I would recommend a boiled egg, yogurt and some grape juice. Grape is good for the digestion , and try to have 3-4 meals a day and hold it try to keep your meals beneath 1500 kcal a day.

rt44tbtb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rt44tbtb4

I consume a good deal of energy drinks, but virtually no candy or other such stuff. I think I really need to start eating breakfast and lunch, because I'm sure that's fucking me up in many ways.

vegoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By vegoku

AS a guy who weighed 240lbs originally, then lost 70 lbs, and have kept it off for 4 years now, i wish you all the best of luck

Portion control, exercise, and eating healthier are major players
Key Points to rememeber:
1) Don't get too crazy at first or else you won't stay on the diet change 
2) Allow yourself 1 bad day/meal a week as a reward for all your hard work done

Again, best of luck!

brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By brocool

Good luck brother, weight loss is an ongoing process. keep at it and you will be a beast.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Combine healthy eating with exercise (walking is great) 3-5 times a week @ 45 minutes a pop. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

stop by drinking unhealthy stuff like soda, energy drinks. i hope to read more on your work. 

i'm 122 pounds, so yeah, i'm skinny person. i've been working out for about 6.5ish months. i've noticed muscle gain just i still weigh the same. i've been trying to eat fatty stuff also. i drink milkshakes every time i'm done with my workout.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By excido

Good luck, I know what that's like, I've been on a health kick myself, I started at 260 last february and I'm down 43 pounds so far. while I was overweight i was also muscular, my personal goal is to be 205 which is another 12 pounds of fat that I want to drop but it's a slow process. I have a gym membership and on the days that I don't go to the gym I run 2-6 miles, depending on time constraints due to work and family. it's tough and after all these months somehow I'm still doing it, I don't know you but I have faith :). good luck. just keep going with it no matter what, even if you fall off for a day or a week, or even two or three weeks always go back to it and eventually you'll be where you know you want to be.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ZimboDK

I might get in on this, since I started dieting too. I'd be ecstatic if I weighed 230-ish lbs. Been fat my entire life, and 2 weeks ago I weighed... 423lbs.  Been drinking coke since early childhood, and drank about 2200 calories a day since my early teens.
Dropped the coke, got some sugar free "lemonade" (pure fruit extract with artificial sweetener, thinned with water). First week was a bit unstable since I drank a lot of milk. Had no idea how many calories it contained until 4 days in, but I still managed to lose 8lbs. I'm expecting a better result on Thursday when I get on the scale again.

My diet now is a small bowl of oatmeal with milk for breakfast, no lunch (I never eat lunch) and pretty much whatever I want for dinner (within reason of course). I fill a bottle with lemonade in the morning, and that lasts until I go to bed. It only contains about 100 calories and 0.2 oz of sugar (not refined), so it's a vast improvement from before.

LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LibraryDues

I went from 265 to 165 over the last year, and one thing that made a big difference was water.  You're supposed to drink about an ounce for every two pounds you weigh each day.  Drinking that much is not only really good for you because of keeping you hydrated (Though it will take a week or two for your bladder to adjust to the sudden increase.  Before it adjusts you will be wanting to pee constantly) but it helps you lose weight for 3 main reasons: 

1.)  Water is required for your body to metabolize fat.  If you aren't properly hydrated, you are holding on to fat you would otherwise be burning. 
2.)  Very frequently when we feel hungry our bodies are actually thirsty.  Drinking water when you feel a pang of hunger can often offset it. 
3.)  Finally, when you are drinking this much water... well, there's not a whole lot of room for soda and other unhealthy drinks.  You stop drinking them naturally because you just do not get thirsty like you used to. 

I'm not saying go on some weird "water only" diet.  Just do this in addition to whatever eating/excercise regimen you are planning and I think you will be please wit the results.

RobReindl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RobReindl

I used and still use an iPhone App called Loseit (this is a calorie tracker) to lose the weight I wanted too. Really I just monitored the calories I ate and the calories I burned with exercise. Once I realized what I was doing wrong (too many calories on the weekend for the most part) it was easy to lose the weight.  

You HAVE to eat as regular as you can and put good food in your body (forget the fake stuff). You should look at this as a life change. You don't want to be eating energy drinks all your life do you?  It is very important for you to exercise in some form. The more you exercise the better off and quicker the weight will come off. If you decide to lift weights or do other muscle building exercise you will gain muscle which of course is heavy but good. A Muscle body burns more calories and of course you will look better too. The gym is a great place to burn those calories but you can also burn them in many other ways as well. Maybe take the stairs, park you car further away, do that yard work you put off , clean out that closet/garage/basement, paint those walls, go for a fast pace walk at lunch or after dinner, don't sit and play a game all day, go for a bike ride, run, go hiking, just anything active. 

Some foods I leaned along the way that did not help me lose weight was: simple sugars (candy), Alcohol, high fat foods (lots). You can still eat this stuff but it will slow down or put back on the weight.    

Good luck!

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By lazyturtle

If you have access to a pool or the ocean, swim! It burns a ton of calories. Its also better for your body than running (no impact on joints) and generally more pleasant (its hard to get all hot, sweaty and nasty in the pool).  You can also buy cases/headphones for ipods that are waterproof. 
USDA also has a nice website for tracking your calorie inputs and it lets you build menus that will help you reduce your caloric intake. The key is planning. If you leave dinners and lunches up to fate, you'll eat too much or unhealthy foods. 

Also, try and pick something you REALLY like thats junk food, such as some type of candy or soda. Use it as a goal: On Friday, if I've met X exercise requirements and Y dietary requirements I will allow myself to have my treat. I suggest this because completely eliminating stuff from your diet is unlikely to succeed. Just minimize the extras. But you have to be firm with yourself, if you don't meet the goals, you don't get the treat. Make the goals realistic: 30 minutes of cardio 4 times a week, plus a 1500 cal/day diet. Something along those lines.
 Or start injecting crystal meth between your toes..I hear that works too.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By myke_tuna

I've recently been on a diet/workout plan of sorts. I started out in April at 175-170 and I'm 145 as of this writing. I drink nothing but water (besides milk for cereal and other things that don't go with water) and started eating fruit for snacks. Drinking water constantly seems to help me. It keeps my stomach "full", but you do have to go pee every 15-20 minutes. I think if you don't you could end up with water intoxication or something. I go through 3-3 1/2 quarts a day. I drink from a big ass Fuji brand water bottle I saved. Anyway, good luck man and keep at it. 

Slow and steady wins the race. I like saying that when it feels like this process is taking too long.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE
@ZimboDK said:

" I might get in on this, since I started dieting too. I'd be ecstatic if I weighed 230-ish lbs. Been fat my entire life, and 2 weeks ago I weighed... 423lbs.  Been drinking coke since early childhood, and drank about 2200 calories a day since my early teens. Dropped the coke, got some sugar free "lemonade" (pure fruit extract with artificial sweetener, thinned with water). First week was a bit unstable since I drank a lot of milk. Had no idea how many calories it contained until 4 days in, but I still managed to lose 8lbs. I'm expecting a better result on Thursday when I get on the scale again. My diet now is a small bowl of oatmeal with milk for breakfast, no lunch (I never eat lunch) and pretty much whatever I want for dinner (within reason of course). I fill a bottle with lemonade in the morning, and that lasts until I go to bed. It only contains about 100 calories and 0.2 oz of sugar (not refined), so it's a vast improvement from before. "

Look dude, I don't want to be a douche...but unless you had a liposuction (and even then, come on) there's no way you lost almost half your bodyweight in 2 weeks. Even if you didn't eat a single thing you still wouldn't get down that low that fast. 

As for everyone else: I suggest one diet plan and one only. Well it's not really even a diet plan, more of a planner. It's called "Precision Nutrition" and it's written by Dr. John Berardi, who I believe has a PhD in Nutrition and Kinesiology (?). Either way, Precision Nutrition is the most effective way at getting where you want, quickly and safely. The key is to follow your individual diet plan and exercise regime relatively strictly (like 80/20). The great thing is Precision Nutrition is built to allow you to get to whatever you goal is, whether that's fat loss, muscle gain or both. Additionally I find it's generally just a healthy way to live; the approach to nutrition he takes in it is something you should live by for your entire life.
ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZimboDK
@RsistncE: Okay, so you can't read. Fair enough:

@ZimboDK

said:

" ... I'd be ecstatic if I weighed 230-ish lbs..."

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By wunder_
@ZimboDK:  Don't listen to that guy, if there's a will, there's a way! Keep on keeping on man, and to the rest of the people trying to lose weight as well, I'll try to follow this and keep track as well as post my own progress! :)
Australia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Australia

I guess this has more to do with where you live but, if you can walk instead of driving, do it. Good luck with it man, willpower is key.

Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pleasureizmine
@bassboy2100: 
No Caption Provided
fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fwylo
@bassboy2100: Here's a little trick I learnt from my sister. Which works wonders for her and my mother.

They call it "The Breath".  Everyone does it without themselves knowing, most people ignore it because they think nothing of it.  But if you know what it is, you can use it as a tool to know when you're full.  While you're hungry you have one thing your mind.  Obviously... Fill you stomach.  So you fill your plate with food and start to eat.  You eat and eat until the plate is empty, and if it tastes good, you'll probably go back and get more right?  But chances are you got the proper food intake way before you finished that first pile of food.  Your body has a way of telling you when you're full and we call it the breath.  You'll have to look for it the first time after you read this, but you'll eventually be able to notice it as soon as it happens afterwards.   In the middle of the meal or to the end of it or whatever, you will pause, sit back, and take a deep breath. Probably because you've been stuffing your face for the past 5 minutes.  This is when you would lean back in and your eating pace would slow down dramatically.  But now if you take this breath you are going to notice and you are going to stop eating.  Soon enough you'll be able to see how much food you'll be able to eat before taking this breath and plate your food accordingly. 

They told me about it once and now I just do it subconsciously.  The breath is when I stop eating for that meal.  Even if it tastes great and I want to eat more I don't, it's all about self control my friend. 

I'm 6'1 185 pounds so it must be working.  You might want to try to start up some kind of exercise as well as trying to eat a bit healthier.  Even if you just start out jogging for 2 minutes and then walking for 10.  Everything helps.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You know if you don't workout and diet, all your weight will come back and you will even be heavier. Just thought you should know, add weight lifting to your diet or you might be like oprah gaining back all the weight.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RsistncE
@ZimboDK said:
" @RsistncE: Okay, so you can't read. Fair enough:

@ZimboDK

said:

" ... I'd be ecstatic if I weighed 230-ish lbs..."

"

My bad. 
My bad. 
Well the least I can do is give you some advice. Don't skip lunch. In fact don't skip any meals, especially not breakfast. Aim for about 15 KCal x your bodyweight in (lbs) and spread that shit out over 6 meals. It'll keep your metabolism revved, making sure you don't store anything you eat as fat, and will additionally keep your appetite relatively suppressed. Oh and water, drink lots of water.. Most studies have shown that water is just as effective, if not more so, than weight loss supplements when it comes to weight loss. 

Exercise is also obviously quite important, so put yourself together a beginners workout routine and hit the weights at least 3 times a week for 20 mins. Adding muscle to your frame will help you shed more unwanted fat weight and of course it looks good. Additionally you want to be getting some kind of cardio in when you start out. If you find that more intense cardio like jogging or rowing is too difficult to start out, start light with stuff like going on a 30 minute walk everyday. As you lose weight it'll be easier to start doing more intense cardio etc. In fact this is why I like weight lifting so much; you don't really have to throw your body around too much (like you would when you're running) but you'll still burn a tonne of calories while you're working out and additionally your metabolism will continue to climb for a while after you lift heavy weights.
bulletzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bulletzing

Don't starve yourself! Eat small meals throughout the day and not large meals! And keep yourself hydrated!!! 

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Xeiphyer

Good luck duder, you probably don't need to post this to the forums every week though. Not exactly a lot to discuss in this topic...

LIES! I don't believe you are telling your accurate weight. SOURCES?!

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Druminator

Hey man I just started working out a lot. I'm on my 4th week right now, working out about 30-40 minutes, five days a week. Down 10 pounds but just kinda floating there. I think my problem is that I don't have any kind of diet so I think next week I'll start on that. A lot of tips in here are really good. Keep it up!

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Djeffers03

Good luck dude. Would it be too degrading for you to put up a photo diary of your weight loss?

rt44tbtb4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By rt44tbtb4
@Djeffers03 said:
"Good luck dude. Would it be too degrading for you to put up a photo diary of your weight loss? "

Thinking like before/after pictures?
radar5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By radar5

Good Luck.  As people have said, cut out soda.  I replaced it with iced tea mostly, plus there's lemonade, fruit punch and water alone.  If you're exercising too, try to do it before you eat.  This will get your metabolism going before you eat and allow you to digest/process the food better.
JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JoRoNimo

I will join you on this quest, sir!

RobReindl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RobReindl
I cut out the soda and it was easy to do. I replaced it with filtered water (oh so good) and I don't miss the soda at all. I implemented this plan for the entire family and it was not difficult for any of us.  Cold water is just so much more refreshing. 
RobReindl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RobReindl
@jorojoserojas: I hope all that need to would join this quest. Just think if everybody would take care of themselves how healthy everybody would be. This could be the cheaper (really no cost at all) Health Plan. 
radar5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By radar5
@robreindl said:
" I cut out the soda and it was easy to do. I replaced it with filtered water (oh so good) and I don't miss the soda at all. I implemented this plan for the entire family and it was not difficult for any of us.  Cold water is just so much more refreshing.  "
I love a nice glass of ice water.  I wish I could could get my in-laws to switch off the soda.  They drink pretty much nothing but diet coke and diet sierra mist and are pretty convinced that since it's diet, it's ok to be drinking.  I'd love to get them to switch for a month and see what happens.
blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blair
@TheJohn said:
" Stay active, and replace soda/candy with water/fruit and it'll be a breeze. Good luck! "
This couldn't be more true.
galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By galiant

Like a lot of people probably already mentioned, stay away from soft drinks and potato chips.

Best of luck to you!

vipersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By vipersona

Good luck sir.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

On the big side,huh? 

EDIT:I wish you all luck that i have!And if you dont achieve success,try again!:D

punk_beatzUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By punk_beatzUK

Good luck mate, might join you on this too. 

I had a great body until I went to university where I gained a lot of weight just from eating crap and drinking loads of booze. I'm not a huge guy (around 15.5 stone, so 217lbs) but I need to get rid of my belly and get back to what I was.  I'd be happy to get down to 13.5 stone (189lbs), so I need to start eating better, sort my cravings and use that gym membership that I pay every month for.  

My big downfall is alcohol. I don't drink during the week but when I go out on a weekend if I'm with a few mates we usually get pretty drunk, and mainly on calorie-laden beer. We don't really do light beers here in England (mainly because they taste like piss!)

I'm living proof that vegetarians aren't the skinny and healthy people you might think they are!

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By Gabriel

3 words: 

AB Ripper X 

SubTact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SubTact
Lots of good advice being dropped in the comments. 

From September of last year to this past July I lost close to 100lbs.  Many of the elements were mentioned above, but this was my route that worked. 

1) There is no quick way to lose a lot of weight in a short period of time in a healthy way, and in a way it will stay off.  Making small lifestyle choices that stick will be more effective and go a longer way. 
2) Portion control and choosing healthier options.  You don't need to eat salad, where ever you're at choose the healthier options, any sort of grilled chicken sandwich (with a healthy, non-fries side if you can do it) is my goto when I'm at a restaurant/fast food joint with friends.  Take smaller portions initially (often we need to eat less than we think we do), and see if you're hungry after finishing. 
3) Drink lots of water and try to lower/manage your intake of sodium.  As mentioned above, drink lots of water, and often when you're hungry drink some water first.  Watching sodium is key here, as the more sodium you intake, the more water weight you'll carry.  A lot of stuff has sodium, even Diet soda has a high concentration of sodium. 
4) Be active at least 3 times a week.  The best thing is to be active doing something you enjoy are interested in.  I started out doing muay thai, but later moved onto just running when my schedule couldn't fit when the classes were.  If you can handle it, running is one of the quickest ways to drop weight.  If you want to start running, invest in a pair of good running shoes.  If you have a newish ipod, I highly recommend getting a pair of Nike running shoes that have Nike+ capabilities.  Nike+ has a "program" for starting running (where it tells you when to walk or run in intervals to build up your endurance), and it keeps track of your stats, with some elements that have the same hooks as achievements/trophies.  If you choose to run, stretching is key, especially when starting out. 

It definitely isn't easy but if you ease into things and make changes gradually that become habit/a part of your lifestyle, you'll be successful.  In the end it's worth it, being and feeling healthier really is it's own reward. 
Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By Sambambo

Start some boxing training, its fun and works really well.

I have seen some really big improvements in my cardio since starting, more than when I first started training!

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Sambambo
@ZimboDK said:
" I might get in on this, since I started dieting too. I'd be ecstatic if I weighed 230-ish lbs. Been fat my entire life, and 2 weeks ago I weighed... 423lbs.  Been drinking coke since early childhood, and drank about 2200 calories a day since my early teens. Dropped the coke, got some sugar free "lemonade" (pure fruit extract with artificial sweetener, thinned with water). First week was a bit unstable since I drank a lot of milk. Had no idea how many calories it contained until 4 days in, but I still managed to lose 8lbs. I'm expecting a better result on Thursday when I get on the scale again. My diet now is a small bowl of oatmeal with milk for breakfast, no lunch (I never eat lunch) and pretty much whatever I want for dinner (within reason of course). I fill a bottle with lemonade in the morning, and that lasts until I go to bed. It only contains about 100 calories and 0.2 oz of sugar (not refined), so it's a vast improvement from before. "
That doesnt sound very healthy... It is important to get at least 3 meals, or even 5 smaller ones in your case.

What exercise are you doing?

Switching the lemonade for water would be much better as well.
punk_beatzUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By punk_beatzUK

Tonight is my first night back at the gym in a few weeks, so I'm going to do as much as I can (without putting me off straight away!) 

I'm making two big changes from this week on and hopefully they'll help me shape up. 

1. Limit the amount of bread/pittas/wraps I eat because I get through too many and bread isn't good for losing weight 
2. No snacking between meals allowed unless it's fruit 

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JammyJesus

Pro tip: Buy your own food. If you get the parents to buy the food they will end up sneaking stuff in that they think will be a 'treat' for you. All these good intentions just make you slip back into your old routines. Additionaly, this would be a great time to start learning how to cook. Not only will you gain skills that will stick with you for life, but you will learn what you are putting into your body, helping the cause. Doing it with a friend is also good.

punk_beatzUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By punk_beatzUK
@JammyJesus: When I left home learning to cook was one of the best things I did, but also my downfall - you are unsupervised and can snack on whatever you like!  

Important to bear that in mind too :)