EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By EdIsCool

Large Bomb defused in Armagh, Rep.Of Ireland

The 600lb device was found on a roadside near the village of Forkhill and had a command wire leading to a firing point on the other side of the border.

Dissident republicans are believed to be responsible for planting the bomb.

Irish soldiers and Gardai mounted a security operation on the southern side of the border while the device was being made safe today.

The remnants have now been taken away for forensic examination.

Fucking stupid murderous cunts!!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Systech

That wide gap in the beginning of your post represents the amount of space that you should talk about politics on Giant Bomb. That was filled up a long time ago. Anyway, I have no idea what you're talking about and a link would be extremely helpful.

Avatar image for hunkaburningluv
hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@EdIsCool said:
"   Large Bomb defused in Armagh, Rep.Of Ireland

The 600lb device was found on a roadside near the village of Forkhill and had a command wire leading to a firing point on the other side of the border.

Dissident republicans are believed to be responsible for planting the bomb.

Irish soldiers and Gardai mounted a security operation on the southern side of the border while the device was being made safe today.

The remnants have now been taken away for forensic examination.

Fucking stupid murderous cunts!!

"
christ, there are idiots everywhere, there are loads over here in Glasgow, but that sound just daft....
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By oldschool

We in the rest of the world truly do not get the hatred and violence between the Catholics and the Protestants in Ireland and quite probably, they don't also. 

They need to focus on enjoying life and drop ancient hatred.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By warxsnake
@systech said:

" That wide gap in the beginning of your post represents the amount of space that you should talk about politics on Giant Bomb. That was filled up a long time ago. Anyway, I have no idea what you're talking about and a link would be extremely helpful. "

You're telling me you have no idea what the IRA, RIRA, CIRA are and the bombings related to them? I lived in effin Beirut most of my life and I know all about that civil war. What education do you guys get these days?
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaneDev

At least it didnt hurt anyone 

but these thing always happen 

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EdIsCool

It comes from the Catholics land being stolen and them being treated as second class citizens for centuries.
 But when things are improving so much its so stupid.

hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@warxsnake said:
" @systech said:

" That wide gap in the beginning of your post represents the amount of space that you should talk about politics on Giant Bomb. That was filled up a long time ago. Anyway, I have no idea what you're talking about and a link would be extremely helpful. "

You're telling me you have no idea what the IRA, RIRA, CIRA are and the bombings related to them? I lived in effin Beirut most of my life and I know all about that civil war. What education do you guys get these days? "
you know, I never really seen it as cicil war, but I suppose you could say it was....... 
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShaneDev
@oldschool said:
" We in the rest of the world truly do not get the hatred and violence between the Catholics and the Protestants in Ireland and quite probably, they don't also.  They need to focus on enjoying life and drop ancient hatred. "
Its not ancient and you would understand it if you looked at the history of the region
warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By warxsnake
@hunkaburningluv said:
" @warxsnake said:
" @systech said:

You're telling me you have no idea what the IRA, RIRA, CIRA are and the bombings related to them? I lived in effin Beirut most of my life and I know all about that civil war. What education do you guys get these days? "
you know, I never really seen it as cicil war, but I suppose you could say it was.......  "
yeah It's more about the current IRA using the name of the old IRA circa 1920s which fought in the irish civil war. but yeah they just use the name now and are pretty much terrorists.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By EdIsCool

Attacking British soldiers and loyalist paramilitaries, up unto the early 90's was perfectly acceptable and right. Except to finance this war the IRA got heavily involved in criminality.
It was never right to bomb towns and kill civilians. and now when the British government is no longer ignoring the apartheid that occurred and with the signing of the Good Friday agreement this kind of thing is crazy.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
@ShaneDev said:
" @oldschool said:
" We in the rest of the world truly do not get the hatred and violence between the Catholics and the Protestants in Ireland and quite probably, they don't also.  They need to focus on enjoying life and drop ancient hatred. "
Its not ancient and you would understand it if you looked at the history of the region "
This predates the Civil War and War for Independence.  We are talking about conflict in the 1600s.  Everything from there is a circle of hate and violence - that being my limited understanding.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EdIsCool
@oldschool said:
" @ShaneDev said:
" @oldschool said:
Its not ancient and you would understand it if you looked at the history of the region "
This predates the Civil War and War for Independence.  We are talking about conflict in the 1600s.  Everything from there is a circle of hate and violence - that being my limited understanding. "
Correct a series of plantations took place beginning with the Laois-Offaly one. British undertakers as they were known(because they undertook a series of obligations one of which was to let their new land to British tenants only) were given large swathes of land in Ireland. They built planned communities and brought in British customs and religion at the expense of the native ones.The Ulster plantation was the most successful of these and the native people eventually became a minority.

This leads to centuries of the native people attacking the planters, being defeated and then a wave of reprisals occurs, triggering further attacks on the planters and so on.
ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShaneDev
@oldschool said:
" @ShaneDev said:
" @oldschool said:
This predates the Civil War and War for Independence.  We are talking about conflict in the 1600s.  Everything from there is a circle of hate and violence - that being my limited understanding. "
Not really it was more of a Irish vs British thing back then with the  British taking the land and whatnot that was  solved in the late 1800's  the Catholic and Protestant issue came back in Ulster which is what i meant by region, the catholic majority was ruled by the Protestant minority and it wasnt fair, but i dont live in the north just on the border and cant speak for the living their today.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Snipzor

Christ, it's still going on over there!? It even stopped here in Quebec eventually (1960-1970), why is it that this is still going on?

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By phlegms
All is well in Dublin at the moment. So need to worry..
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EdIsCool
@Snipzor said:

" Christ, it's still going on over there!? It even stopped here in Quebec eventually (1960-1970), why is it that this is still going on? "

Its mostly due to the British (conservative) government who supported the Protestants who were practicing apartheid.  This went on for a very long time.During this time Catholics were denied political representation due to gerrymandering(constituency boundaries were drawn so that they favoured the unionists), when peaceful protest was attempted British paratroopers shot 27 civilians killing 13 of them. There was also collusion between the government and unionust paramilitaries resulting in many murders including the murder or human rights lawyer Pat Finucane.

Finally we got two great leaders David Trimble  Unionist side John Hume on the nationalist side. Sinn Fein began to realise they couldnt win through violence.
and once Labour got in things improved very quickly, and the Good Frday Agreement was signed. So we have only had a workable design for peace for 11 years.Good progress is being made which is why its so upsetting when fringe elements do something this stupid.
Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By Gav47

I am thankful that I was born in 89 to a different generation, after the real "troubles", the worst I had to endure was the Omagh bombings. The sooner the generations behind us die off, taking there hatred and apartheid ways with them, the better.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19  Edited By Suicrat

As long as governments are wielders of productive capacity, and arbiters of wealth, there will be people hungry for the power afforded to them by terror.

It is a good thing that the police have dismantled the bomb and prevented lives from being lost, but if governments want to deflate the power of terrorism, they need to deflate their own power in kind.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Snipzor
@Suicrat: The only thing I know about this topic is from viewing the movie "Breakfast on Pluto". But I'm pretty damn sure this is a religion thing instead of a government power thing. 

Great movie too.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Suicrat
@Snipzor: Religion does not hold any power that government does not give it.

Apolgoies for the last comment, I thought response was linked to the other thread I'm engaged in.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Snipzor
@Suicrat: Oh... well now you know about that movie so you can go see it. Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson are in it.

Go see it. 

EDIT:
 Derp, I can't spell "now"
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By flaminghobo

Glad it didn't hurt anyone.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Suicrat

@Snipzor: I like Liam Neeson's work, but I don't know that I've seen anything featuring Cillian Murphy.

I'll add it to my (growing) list of movies to see ;)

Ugh, don't feel so bad about misspelling "now", I omitted the definitive article in my last response :P

Back on topic... Let's put an end to the notion that violence and theft are solutions to problems!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By oldschool
@Suicrat said:
"   @Snipzor: I like Liam Neeson's work, but I don't know that I've seen anything featuring Cillian Murphy.  I'll add it to my (growing) list of movies to see ;)  Ugh, don't feel so bad about misspelling "now", I omitted the definitive article in my last response :P  Back on topic... Let's put an end to the notion that violence and theft are solutions to problems! "
Unfortunately, not true.  History has shown that violence does succeed.  Not agreeing with it, but when parts of society are marginalised and repressed, then violence may be the only response if those in power refuse to acknowledge and adress their genuine concerns.  I am sure that those in Ireland have had genuine concerns, but sometimes a cycle of violence is a beast of its own doing.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Suicrat
@oldschool: And those cultural movements which have been vindicated by history, usually use violence in response to a past aggression (Such as being enslaved by the British Crown). But violence is the cause of these problems, and mediation and negotiation are the only just and lasting solutions to these problems.
Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shazam
@Suicrat said:

" As long as governments are wielders of productive capacity, and arbiters of wealth, there will be people hungry for the power afforded to them by terror.  It is a good thing that the police have dismantled the bomb and prevented lives from being lost, but if governments want to deflate the power of terrorism, they need to deflate their own power in kind. "

It's a little bit more complicated than that when it comes to Ireland and The Troubles. Britain thought that by removing any government based power from Northern Ireland, it would reduce some of tensions in The Troubles. But by removing the power, Britain angered The Unionists (Protestants) who felt like they were being treated like scolded children and The Nationalists (Catholics), who didn't want anything to do with Britain in the first place. This removal of power just riled everyone up and the bombings continued. Normally, I would agree with your statement and it seems sound for any other situation but the dynamics of this situation don't allow for it. Both sides are too bitter, it won't ever really go away.   

As far as these attempted bombings and murders go; I'm sad to see that some people are still trying to start The Troubles up again, you never appreciate peace until you have it. Although I am a Republican at heart and would dearly love to see my entire country whole after 800 years of suppression, I abhor violence and would never want to see peace gained through violence. While in the past, it may have been required I think with modern politics it can be resolved. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident.    
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldschool
@Suicrat said:
" @oldschool: And those cultural movements which have been vindicated by history, usually use violence in response to a past aggression (Such as being enslaved by the British Crown). But violence is the cause of these problems, and mediation and negotiation are the only just and lasting solutions to these problems. "
That is entirely true and my point.  This is why not talking to"terrorist" groups is pointless.  It only marginalises them more.  Give them a voice and let the power of intellectual argument prevail.  Not the human condition though - we like power and control and we seek it out and exploit it.  Staying out of other people's conflicts would help as well.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Suicrat

Two responses from two people who agree that peace is preferable to war.

What needs to happen in the conflict zones of the world is to recognize the rights of the people to live their lives as they see fit. While it is abhorrent to bomb a country into liberty (as was tried in Iraq) it is equally abhorrent to have men and women risk their lives to support a theocracy (as is the case in Afghanistan).

Those who wish to make a positive change must produce it, not take it!

Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Shazam
@Suicrat said:

" Two responses from two people who agree that peace is preferable to war.  What needs to happen in the conflict zones of the world is to recognize the rights of the people to live their lives as they see fit.   

Well yes but what if by recognizing the rights of one group of people, you suppress the other groups right? Northern Ireland cannot be rejoin Ireland and still be controlled by England.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EdIsCool
@Suicrat said:

" @oldschool: And those cultural movements which have been vindicated by history, usually use violence in response to a past aggression (Such as being enslaved by the British Crown). But violence is the cause of these problems, and mediation and negotiation are the only just and lasting solutions to these problems. "

During this time Catholics were denied political representation due to gerrymandering(constituency boundaries were drawn so that they favoured the unionists), when peaceful protest was attempted British paratroopers shot 27 civilians killing 13 of them. There was also collusion between the government and unionust paramilitaries resulting in many murders including the murder or human rights lawyer Pat Finucane.

Negotiation was denied to republicans for a very long time and violence was neccesary to force a change in the way Britain dealt with the situation.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Suicrat
@Shazam: Well, the simple fact is no one has a right to impose rule on anyone. If it is the natural course of part of Ireland to be "British" then it needs to happen voluntarily.

The Peace Process, as you said, is a superior means of solving this conundrum than war ever will be.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By oldschool
@EdIsCool said:
" @Suicrat said:

During this time Catholics were denied political representation due to gerrymandering(constituency boundaries were drawn so that they favoured the unionists), when peaceful protest was attempted British paratroopers shot 27 civilians killing 13 of them. There was also collusion between the government and unionust paramilitaries resulting in many murders including the murder or human rights lawyer Pat Finucane.  Negotiation was denied to republicans for a very long time and violence was neccesary to force a change in the way Britain dealt with the situation. "
I am familiar with gerrymander as a government here survived for decades based on it.  It is sad that poor behaviour begets more poor behaviour, but when you marginalise and oppress a group, violence is a fairly inevitable outcome.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ninjakiller

Waiiiiiiiiiiiittt?  This is over religion?  Pulls out the world's smallest violin and begins to play. 

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EdIsCool
@ninjakiller said:

" Waiiiiiiiiiiiittt?  This is over religion?  Pulls out the world's smallest violin and begins to play.  "

No its over religion ,injustice AND  tribe..worse again
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ninjakiller
@EdIsCool said:
" @ninjakiller said:

" Waiiiiiiiiiiiittt?  This is over religion?  Pulls out the world's smallest violin and begins to play.  "

No its over religion ,injustice AND  tribe..worse again "
THERE'S NO WAY I SPENT MY LIFE NOT KILLING AND NOT RAPING FOR PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE IN SKY COOKIE TO BE THEIR WHILE I'M ENJOYING SKY CAKE, THAT JUST RUINS SKY CAKE!!

Points to those who know what I'm rambling about, it's recent.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ahriman22

So some dudes want to kill some other dudes... I don't' see what's new here.

hunkaburningluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By hunkaburningluv
@Shazam said:

" @Suicrat said:

" Two responses from two people who agree that peace is preferable to war.  What needs to happen in the conflict zones of the world is to recognize the rights of the people to live their lives as they see fit.   

Well yes but what if by recognizing the rights of one group of people, you suppress the other groups right? Northern Ireland cannot be rejoin Ireland and still be controlled by England. "
but, does the majority of Northern Ireland want to be a part of the Republic? because if not, then you can't force it.   But that's what the Northern Ireland assembly is there for, as with the Scottish government and the welsh assembly (whatever it's called) - it's devolved power with the benefits of receiving cash from westminster.

@warxsnake
said:

" @hunkaburningluv said:

" @warxsnake said:
" @systech said:

you know, I never really seen it as cicil war, but I suppose you could say it was.......  "
yeah It's more about the current IRA using the name of the old IRA circa 1920s which fought in the irish civil war. but yeah they just use the name now and are pretty much terrorists. "
in all fairness, they both the Republican and Unionist organizations were always terrorists IMO. The second you cross that line in endangering innocent members of the public, you are nothing but scum
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By teh_destroyer

We should not study the bomb,we should be worshiping it, bow down to the bomb!

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Systech
@warxsnake said:
" @systech said:

I'm an American and a sixteen year-old, so don't expect too much out of me. At least I want to reach out to learn as much as I can.
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

600 lbs? How did they get that in place without drawing attention? At least no one was hurt by it. Hang the fuckers that executed something so cold blooded.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JoelTGM

can someone get a link to the full story

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Damn those alqaedas.... oh wait.

International Reading Association for life!