What are some of your favorite non-gaming youtube channels?

dorkymohr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

I pretty much live off youtube. I often just get sick of traditional TV and much prefer youtube channels that offer more niche, less scripted, less stressful entertainment. For fun, I've also decided to just ignore gaming related channels as they often share a lot of similarities across multiple channels. This is somewhat inspired by the bombcast email of weird youtube rabbitholes you've gone down, but I genuinely enjoy these so they're not just for gawking at.

Worth It by Buzzfeed Video:

Buzzfeed is like often pretty cringey with how bubbly and millennial-y it is. This series is my favorite though. It's a unique concept where they try various foods at different price points.

Mark Kermode (and Simon Mayo)

Very thoughtful film critic. Part of a british radio show. Brief but gives you all you need to know about a movie.

TabiEats

These two do food reviews in Japan, usually mostly fast food and snacks. They're really adorable.

Primitive Technology

No commentary at all. Just a dude making crazy living implements entirely from scratch. Like literally, everything he makes is just from dirt, twigs and rocks.

TNT Amusements

Might be cheating a bit with this one since it is technically "gaming". A Pennsylvania Pinball and Arcade repair shop with an owner born with the heart of a showman. Todd jokes with his employees who don't quite get his vibe, and edits his own videos in a way that would make Tim and Eric blush. Super endearing.

Hot Ones by First We Feast and Complex

You've probably heard of this one, because it's blown up like crazy. It's an interview show where the guests and host (sean who's great btw) eat progressively spicier chicken wings as the show goes on.

Numberphile

Science and math. A lot of this channel often goes over my head. But it's so unapologetically nerdy and fascinating.

The Tommy Edison Experience

An extremely infectious personality who's also blind. Frank and honest, he's open about describing his experiences to his viewers.

BAR-TIMES

Japanese cocktails. It's relaxing watching people who have honed their craft so finely. Makes you feel classier by watching.

Dead Mall Series by This is Dan Bell

Urban exploration. Focus is on malls that have been abandoned. Like attending a funeral for capitalism.

So what are some of yours?

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been getting into Primitive Technology myself lately, it's pretty hypnotic and impressive.

Binging With Babish is pretty good, dude cooks food from TV and movies (he does one for Breath of they Wild too which is really cool). The videos are well produced and entertaining.

Corning Museum of Glass because watching people work with molten glass is awesome.

Grand Illusions is this old British guy who talks about and shows off all kinds of random toys he has collected. I think he has a toy store or something but he's passionate and quite genuine.

Begiragons is an honorable mention because they are no longer producing content but if you haven't seen their old stuff you should definitely go watch it. Hilarious trio of Japanese guys that do crazy challenges. Unfortunate that the channel went of the rails towards the end.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Nodima

I'm the opposite of you in many ways, and find most non-game related Youtube channels to be off putting in their lack of structure. Most of the Youtube I consume that isn't Giant Bomb Unarchived, Polygon or Giant Bomb itself is catching up on late night talk shows since I don't have a cable subscription but grew up on Conan, Letterman and Leno and really enjoy the format. With that said...

Desus & Mero. No.1 comedy in late night, ball bags. Weird to think Desus used to be a regular on a forum I frequented and now he's here; not so weird when I think back on how hilarious he was. Perhaps more important than how they keep me abreast of the latest memes and Trump shenanigans are their longform, Youtube-only extended interviews. They've drawn great conversation out of people I'd have never expected to be interested in, and they're sort of like the Bronx Marc Maron(s) in that way.

Ximo Pierto. This channel comes and goes pretty frequently for quite obvious reasons once I type the next sentence: it cuts full basketball games into 7-10 minute highlight reels of every scoring play and intermittent other highlights and funny observations from the course of the game. No extra commentary, no editing other than the cuts between plays which are instantaneous, just like regular highlight reels. Invaluable to me as someone who works a lot of nights and is a huge NBA fan but already reads enough articles and listens to enough podcasts that I'd rather just here the calls from the broadcast when watching recaps, but very much an affront to the financial goals of the National Basketball Association.

Breakfast Club Power 105 FM. Hip-Hop radio morning show from New York; some exuberantly flagrant conversation is had on there from time to time, and while I don't always have time for it - and it's also definitely more of a video podcast than something you need to have your eyes on - when I hear a particularly great interview had been posted or see a guest I'm always there for listening to, it's must see/listen.

As a bartender, I'm interested in that one series you posted, though. I'll definitely make note of that. I also used to really enjoy the Speakeasy interview series Paul F. Thompkins would do where he'd ask a celebrity to order their favorite cocktail and then they'd have a pretty loose, 20 minute conversation about topics not usually covered in celebrity interviews. But they weren't all that frequent and eventually they changed hosts.

Socuteboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alpha Investments is a pretty cool channel, even if you're not into MTG.

Farfa , formerly known as Glasgow YGO, is pretty funny but it dose require a decent amount of familiarity with the Yu-Gi-Oh TCG.

This last one isn't exactly a recommendation for a really cool channel, but I'd still like use this as an opportunity to share Noah Roberts channel. Long, sad story short, this is a channel for a kid going through a really tough time who has found solace in the YGO trading card game, and it'd be really cool if he could pick up a few extra subs.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I really like Every Frame a Painting, although that recently came to an end. I have been watching a little bit of Movies with Mikey this year. Soupertasters is also oddly satisfying.

I don't regularly follow specific YouTube channels. I did that a lot when I was in high school and college. Sometimes I'll go down a rabbit hole and watch like five videos from somebody, but I don't say "Alright, now I'm going to follow them" too often.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

The L.A.Beast is just a crazy guy who does dumb food challenges and generally seems to be a pretty all right dude.

Loading Video...

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Justin258

I used to watch PBS Idea Channel quite a lot, but that came to an end earlier this year.

I watch Banger TV's reviews of metal albums every week. If you're not into extreme metal you probably won't like any of that stuff, but I'm almost always interested in what they put up even if - most of the time - I wind up not listening to any of it.

And I watch Red Letter Media's stuff most of the time as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don Giller is a dude who has taped every single Letterman show ever. He regularly uploads and even takes requests if you are looking for a specific interview or a collection of interviews or segments or whatever.

I don't watch TGWTG much anymore, I just don't like how they do their new reviews with elaborate costumes and sketches and stuff. But the 1st Viewing feature where Doug and his brother Rob watch bad movies for the first time is really entertaining.

Oh and I would say Desus & Mero but their videos are blocked in my country so I have to settle for their Twitter uploads.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Efesell

I guess... I don't really have that many.

Definitely Desus & Mero, I don't have cable so I need the youtube channel to follow at all.

Extra History is cheating because it's just a different show not about games that's on a gaming channel, but it's the only thing I really watch from Extra Credits.

I used to watch a food review/challenge/ect channel called Wreckless Eating but they got a little too obnoxious and I had to bail.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I watch Red Letter Media, not for the film criticism but for the laughs. They do a show Best of the Worst where they watch 3 "terrible" and obscure movies, and then choose which is the best. There review show Half in the Bag is ok but they never get into too much subtext, instead sticking to the nuts and bolts of what worked/didn't for them.

I watch mostly game related stuff on here NoClip and Danny streams, Waypoint streams, Polygon.

I like to watch excerpts from podcasts. A lot of animated McElroy ones, Giant bomb ones, Bill Burrs podcast. I don't follow any channel for those though. They just get recommended to me from past searches and side bar suggestions.

vasta_narada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I made the mistake of having 90% of my media-intake be games-related, but I am a bit of an anime aficionado and a math nerd so I have a couple.

OP already mentioned Numberphile, so I'll plug a person who was on Numberphile a couple times: Matt Parker. He's a comedian/recreational mathematician, and that combo leads him into doing lots of weird, hyper-specific topics...like this one where Matt gets uppity about leap years, and one where he gets really patriotic about Australian money. And one of my favorites: why the TV standard is 29.97fps (and why the PAL format is superior).

Loading Video...

And for your anime quotient, I present Super Eyepatch Wolf. He does a lot of critical writing about various series, including videos on the strengths and weaknesses of a particular show ("Why You Should Watch/Read..."), and random topics that interests him (The Fall of The Simpsons)

Loading Video...

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Crash Course is great, especially their history stuff. Quick, informative, and funny.

Extra Credits history (as mentioned already) is pretty good, though it can spend 8+ 10 minute episodes on a subject.

I watch A LOT of guitar channels, but I don't know which I could recommend. They each have very different uses.

fiercetactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fiercetactics

Here's who I subscribe to: (with bare URLs because I can't post links, I guess because my account is too new, sorry!)

Jenny Nicholson, a vlogger/film critic with a really great deadpan sense of humor https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7-E5xhZBZdW-8d7V80mzfg
Maangchi, a cooking channel by a very charming and funny Korean lady living in the US https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8gFadPgK2r1ndqLI04Xvvw
Fran Blanche, who vlogs about vintage electronics geekery, fountain pens, public domain music, and really whatever interests her at the moment https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMLgHbpJ8qYqj3CkdbvC0Ww
Vihart - occasional short very well-edited videos about a wide variety of topics from a creative and interesting mathematician. Sort of defies description but very good videos. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOGeU-1Fig3rrDjhm9Zs_wg
El-heck-tronics - some video game content (mostly old windows and DOS shareware disks) but also vintage computer hardware, electronics, thrift store finds, and old utility software https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXnNibvR_YIdyPs8PZIBoEw
Techmoan - audiovisual equipment, general gadgetry and extremely obscure old media formats https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm a big fan of anything Jon Bois does for SB Nation, specifically his two shows "Pretty Good" and "Chart Party." They are ostensibly sports oriented in nature (Chart Party always is), but like half of the episodes of Pretty Good have little to nothing to do with sports if you're not into that sort of thing.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bar Times is top notch, so relaxing.

I think the only "different" channels that I'm subscribed are NileRed (chemistry and such) and JohnnyQ90 (a guy that makes mechanical things maybe? It's hard to describe)

Oh, and the mukbang queen, Yuka Kinoshita

Loading Video...

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Giant Bomb YouTube channel! Just kidding and I actually have some favorite YouTube channels.

Maybe one thing, I do loathe YouTube, both as a service and as a platform for content creators and I believe its a gigantic garbage place so this list with a few examples does come from somebody who is not a YT-fan at freaking all. But that even someone like me has favorites channels shows that YouTube as a dungpile can be a varied place full of wonder, excitement, even honest and non-destructive passion. It certainly can be as great as it can be aweful.

Some examples incoming!

Grand Illusions/henders007 is one of the major favorites of mine but its already mentioned here so thats not very original, hehe. I used to watch that channel when it has around 5000 subscribers.

Goro@Welsh corgi is my most favorite YouTube channel of all time. Its a YouTube channel about a good boy with his family.

cat2525jp is also up there, one of the best YouTube channels of all time. Its a YouTube channel about a guy driving in japan with some smooth tunes.

Besides this, there also is a channel called Japan Train Viewing which is extremly enjoy. Its exactly what it is on the name.

Last but not least, a guy called Johnny Chan/Chanshuwun has travel videos that shows some really nice places.

When it comes to comedy, Canterbury Park is hosting yearly Corgi races and its freaking great. Beside that, they do other things such as Ostrich riding (one of the Ostrichs is called Kim Kardashian lol). Probably the channel I laughed most with as everything they're doing is fantastic, also because of the fantastic presenter.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral: what guitar channels are you into? I've been digging into "Know Your Gear", "The Tone King", and "Music is Win". I'm slowly working through most of the people who went to GuitCon.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By viking_funeral

@danishingact: These days I mostly watch YouTube guitar videos for 3 reasons: To improve my rhythm & theory, to learn new video game soundtracks, or to be entertained. I've never been much of a gearhead, and I have friends who are if/when I want to know something. So "Know Your Gear" and "The Tone King" are not in my wheelhouse. Apologies. As for what I do watch:

Adam Nealy is a jazz bassist, but he's great about breaking down rhythms and a lot of it translates to guitar. I'd check out his videos on 4:3 Polyrhythms, speaking in odd time signatures, or offbeat triplets. It all sounds intense, but he's really good at making it simple and easy to follow.

The-Art-of-Guitar has a lot of tips about techniques, improvising, and how to sound like certain bands. I haven't watched much of his stuff in a while, so I may drop him. His "top X techniques of artist Y" videos are interesting. Axeofcreation shows off a lot of odd time signatures, how to play 7-string guitars, alternative tunings, etc.

GuitarLessons365Song is the only pure lesson channel I still subscribe to. Odds are if I'm having trouble with a solo or how to finger certain songs, he'll have a video on it that is quick and to the point. Some people hate how fast he goes, but it's perfect for me. I also pick up a lot of songs that I otherwise never would have learned just from following his channel. Pat Benatar, Royal Blood, Duran Duran, Steely Dan, etc. Other good channels like that seem to be Marty Music & Justinguitar.

Samuraiguitarist is just for entertainment. Banjo Guy Ollie is also mostly for entertainment, because I'm no banjo player, but I do appreciate his take on classic video game soundtracks. He's also the only guy playing video game soundtracks, besides the occasional Samuraiguitarist video, that I actually subscribe to. Most people who put up videos of themselves playing video game music - on guitar - are not consistently entertaining or have put on personas. It's a bit annoying.

8-bit Music Theory does do some great videos on video game soundtracks and the theory behind why the songs are why the way they are, but he has almost nothing to do with guitar. 12 tone does the same thing for popular rock songs, and he has an interesting video style, though sometimes I think he's reaching, like an English teacher finding meaning where there is none. He does a video about Sweet Child O' Mine that goes into all the crazy musical theory behind the intro and how it translates between chords, and yet I'm pretty sure Slash was just working on string skipping during band practice when he came up with that song. The theory is probably true, but I think the song exists because of noodling. Maybe.

Finally, Creativeguitarstudio is the boring music teacher that (I've heard) all people have had, but he is really good at guitar and teaching scales, modes, theory, practice techniques, etc.

~

Edit - GuitCon is new to me. Huh, it's not that far from me. Interesting. Oh, hey - Robert Baker was there. I no longer subscribe to him, but he has some good videos on thrash and speed metal techniques. It's a fun style, but other than playing the Doom soundtrack or the Big 4, it hasn't been my thing in a while. He does put out good videos, generally speaking.

DanishingAct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DanishingAct

@viking_funeral: I'm with you on Nealy and Samurai, and will definitely check the others out. Spent about an hour listing to that dude play "the lick". A lot of his deep dives into theory are a bit over my head, but his content is top notch.

Thanks for the suggestions duder.

btrdeadthanred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By btrdeadthanred

Mostly gun, outdoor and military stuff.

Homebrew occasionally, but not so much lately

Avatar image for deactivated-643821ed9b0ef
deactivated-643821ed9b0ef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DinoWrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Siggas

Brody

Boogey

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By soulcake

Red letter media no you tube bullshit no nerdbox / loot crate adds. No big Disney like entity telling them what to do, just good old reviews and some B movies at the side. To be honest the best movie thing on you tube.

Loading Video...

(Also this thumbnail describes how i feel about most you tube channels.)

Ron171

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The daily show from comedy central

Rilber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like Extra Credits if they didn't overplay the drama in the history. Its way too melodramatic and they slightly -bend- the story. This can be seen in their WW1 History where they get the history wrong. Extra credits sorta, well, irk me with how wrong they can get history wrong by just wanting to pump up the drama a bit in many scenarios where history is already exciting (ALA The Dan Carlin side of things/Hardcore History)

Cigar Obsession (Obvious reasons)

Periodic Videos. It's a great youtube channel with has been around for sometime about elements on the periodic table

School of Life. While this is a rather condensed version of philosophy, which is generally an insult to all philosophy and ethics in general, though it is a good introduction to the works in general of the people involved (Immanuel Kant. Aristotle. Plato. And many many many others.)

A few philosophy and political theory youtube channels as well though those are the interesting ones.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I'm also on the Red Letter Media camp. The Wheel of the Worst might be my favorite feature of there's as they spin a wheel that chooses which 3 unknown VCR tapes they get to watch.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BladedEdge

Lets see..of my 180+ subscriptions whats totally non-gaming related (As I assume stuff like Film Theory doesn't count since its just an off shoot of Game Theory).

There is Stuart Ashens who does reviews of british dollar store trash..eats weird food, does a series on video games you never heard o...dang it game-related. Seriously though, I've looked forward to watching him open a crap advent calendar 1 day at a time for years now. Something something Grass masks.

There is the one everyone will know in Little Kuriboh i.e. 'the guy who does the yugioh abridged series'. Only, turns out he is a wrestling fan, and does a series about that, and also suffers from depression/anxiety and has a very heart-felt on-going blog around that which I can't, quite, bring myself to listen to often cause I suffer the same issues! Still, subbed for yogtas stayed for the Mark Remark. Something something push glass of milk.

I subscribe to all of the channel assume content producers I cared to follow once TGWTG went down. Though I am down on the Nostalgia Critic series penchant for acting out entire movies to get around you-tube copywrite, as I never found their extended sketch comedy amazing. But yah, Angry Joe, Linkara, Phelous. Figure those guys are popular enough too not need linking, and some are game related so meh.

Finally. I'll shout out Noah Caldwell-Gervais who does absolutely fantastic work....analyzing video games. Ok, I know, its video games. But this guy is not about Lets plays or reviews. The production levels and depths he goes too when talking about and analyzing a games entire makeup remind me very much of some of my favorite college lectures. If ever there was a youtube channel that put up hour+ long courses just talking about video games..the kinda classes we all wished we could attend in grade school I am sure haha, this guy is it. This guy takes talking about games, and makes it Doctorate level detailed. Damn fine content.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By diz

I watch far more Youtube than TV and don't see myself leaving any one of these rabbit-holes anytime soon:

Space Science and Futurism:

Isaac Arthur, Curious Droid, Frazer Cain

Scam Baiting:

Scambait Cental, Malcolm Merlyn, The Hoax Hotel, Toao.net

Engineering and making:

Clickspring, MyfordBoy, oxtoolco, This Old Tony, Toms Techniques, mrpete222, Stefan Gotteswinter, Matthias Wandel, Latheman's crazy machines

Electronic Design:

MikesElectricStuff, GreatScott!, Kevin Darrah, Julian Ilett, Dalibor Farný, ElectroBOOM

Earth Science:

Cody's Lab, Applied Science, Periodic Videos, weldingtipsandtricks, AvE

Youtube Fluff & Entertainment:

Dark5, TodayIFoundOut, BadLipReading, The School Of Life, Jay Foreman, CaptainDisillusion, Georg Rockall-Schmidt, Techmoan

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By monkeyking1969

Here is a list of the channels i subscribe to, most of it is tech/science related not "games". Anything highlighted BOLD is worth looking up.

1. Andre "Black Nerd"
  2. Bitwit
  3. CaitlinV3
  4. Cole and Marmalade
  5. Curious Droid
  6. Folding Ideas
  7. Gamers Nexus
  8. Geek.com
  9. HardwareCanucks
  10. JaclynGlenn
  11. JayzTwoCents
  12. Jenny Nicholson
  13. Lawful Masses with Leonard French
  14. Lazy Game Reviews
  15. Level1Techs
  16. Lindsay Ellis
  17. Linus Tech Tips
  18. Loadingreadyrun
  19. Louis Rossmann
  20. MCS Tech
  21. Moviebob
  22. OzTalksHW
  23. Paul's Hardware
  24. PCWorldVideos
  25. Philip DeFranco
  26. Rtings.com
  27. Techmoan
  28. Tested
  29. The 8-Bit Guy
  30. Unbox Therapy
krikke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

simple:

scishow and scishow space :)

ltcolumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ltcolumbo

I kind of feel weird for enjoying it, but I regularly enjoy the hell out of Steve Tereberry's guitar-themed channel: Here.

Loading Video...

The dude makes some incredibly dumb and annoying faces and tries way too hard to be silly, but honestly that's part of the reason I like his channel. Most people who play guitar on the internet hold themselves in such high esteem that they would never think of doing something ridiculous like showing happiness or pleasure while doing so. This guy just has a ball, and he's super-talented, even if I don't always share his same taste in music. And please, As someone who has played guitar for more than 30 years and fancies himself at least passable, I beg of anyone who is about to question his musical ability in an effort to prove their own unassailable musical acumen- it's not a competition. Other people are allowed to be good at music too. Just enjoy the awesomeness (but feel free to cringe at the faces and wigs).

flagranterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By flagranterror

@ll_exile_ll: I'm assuming you have seen 17776 - Jon Bois is completely insane and I love his stuff.

For my part, and you're gonna have to bear with me on this, it's this mysterious Chinese woman who makes shorts, mostly about cooking, but more generally about rural life. I have no idea what her name is or what anything says in any of her videos, because they're all in Chinese, but they are fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoC47do520os_4DBMEFGg4A

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Animalogic, half because of cute/interesting animals, and half because of the adorableness of the host.

Wired has some great stuff, like their "Explain one concept in five levels of difficulty" series. Also lots of click-baity celebrity Q&A stuff that may annoy or entertain you.

Vi Hart illustrates and explains math concepts in a very cute and entertaining way.

NPR's Tiny Desk Concerts are pretty great. Lots of fairly famous bands that you have heard of playing in an intimate setting.

Now You See It has some enlightening film analysis. Just Write is also pretty good.

vkgoeswild plays some incredible piano covers of metal tunes.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread made me realize how little I actually watch on YouTube these days. 5-10 years ago I was all about Nostalgia Critic, Spoony, AVGN, Ashens, Achievement Hunter, you name it. Nowadays I use it very rarely for Giant Bomb videos I can't bother to open in an app or a song I forgot about. Oh, and the Great War channel. That's good stuff.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only non gaming channels on my YouTube list are probably BBall Breakdown and Mike Korzemba. NBA is by far my favorite sports league, it's like wrestling but actually real.

BBall Breakdown posts a bunch of videos breaking down NBA teams and player. Korzemba posts a bunch of entertaining lists and some of the most surprising NBA backstories.

This one about John Wall is one of my favorites. He talks about how close Wall was to becoming a career criminal like his father but managed to turn his life around.

https://youtu.be/ImvejElhC9Q

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37  Edited By forkboy

I kind of feel weird for enjoying it, but I regularly enjoy the hell out of Steve Tereberry's guitar-themed channel: Here.

Loading Video...

The dude makes some incredibly dumb and annoying faces and tries way too hard to be silly, but honestly that's part of the reason I like his channel. Most people who play guitar on the internet hold themselves in such high esteem that they would never think of doing something ridiculous like showing happiness or pleasure while doing so. This guy just has a ball, and he's super-talented, even if I don't always share his same taste in music. And please, As someone who has played guitar for more than 30 years and fancies himself at least passable, I beg of anyone who is about to question his musical ability in an effort to prove their own unassailable musical acumen- it's not a competition. Other people are allowed to be good at music too. Just enjoy the awesomeness (but feel free to cringe at the faces and wigs).

That vid you posted reminds me of an acoustic Cannibal Corpse cover I got quite obsessed listening to last year. Started off just as "this is funny" but I actually enjoy this version a lot more than the original. Won't embed it, but it's on that link if you're vaguely interested.

As for stuff in my Youtube subs, hmmm. Well. The Great War is a channel covering WW1, they have a series of videos covering "this week in the war 100 years ago" that's been going on since July 2014, though obviously we're nearing the home stretch on that stuff. But there's other videos covering notable people in the war, and they go on field trips to places like the Italian Alps and Flanders to see battlefields and talk to people and all that stuff. If you've an interest in that particular conflict they cover it in an accessible way.

Jospeh Winiarski does covers of doom metal and stoner rock tunes on his banjo. I particularly enjoy his cover of Sleep's Dragonaut but he's got some bitchin' Electric Wizard covers too. Red Letter Media I watch mostly for Best of the Worst & it's offshoots, Re:View is also good but I don't really care about their thoughts on this weeks big blockbuster film. I'm also subbed to Global Cycling Network, which is a channel about the sport of cycling. I don't watch everything they do as there's lots of shit about bike maintenance I couldn't care less about but the weekly news show is worth a watch & they often have dumb, funny stuff too. Technically hbomberguy is a video game channel I guess? But I don't give a hoot about his video games criticism, if I want someone to tell me that Dark Souls is actually good then I'll go on literally any video game website ever, I only watch to see him make fun of alt-right dipshits & their 8 hour long Youtube videos. That's about as much as I go into politics on Youtube, Someone ranting into a webcam for 3 hours is not entertainment to me and that's what most Youtube politics people seem to be. At least hbomberguy is putting effort into his stuff, it's generally clips cut together of other peoples more unhinged moments, people like the amazing Davis Aurini and his obsession ess jay double ewws while Harris giggles over them. Anyway, if you enjoy people like Paul Joseph Watson & Davis Aurini & Thunderfoot & Carl of Swindon sincerely then this won't be for you at all. But generally if I want to see a lunatic rant about fringe politics I'll stare into the mirror and talk to myself.

Oh, & there's wrestling stuff. CWF Mid Atlantic has a solid 1 hour weekly show on their Youtube. I dunno what else I watch.

berniesbc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dorkymohr: Holy shit! TNT Amusements! I used to watch their infomercial on local tv from time to time when I was a kid. It had a running joke where the owner would crush his hand in an open pinball machine and the reveal he just had an inflated rubber glove as a hand. Crazy to see that he's running a YouTube channel.

LocalOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came across the Watchfinder channel lately. It's a very pleasant British fella talking about fancy watches. All of the videos come from a place of deep appreciation and knowledge, which is something I can get behind.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CTRL+F for Knobs. No results. You're all cops.

Loading Video...

isentorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Townsends is a cooking channel that reenacts the ways folk in the 18th century would cook and their recipes.

Paul Sellers is a woodworking channel. Very relaxing to me and helps me with my own woodworking.

TierZoo is a channel that talks about animal species as if they are a class in a video game and compares them to others. It came out of the Outside subreddit, which talks about life as if it were an MMO.