What are the best Mumford and Sons songs you can think of?

Avatar image for thatindianguy7116
ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ThatIndianGuy7116

So, there is this girl in my school I have a crush on and I heard she liked this band Mumford and Sons. I decided to check them out so maybe I could create some conversation with her about them. I was fully expecting to hate them and....they are actually really friggin good. I was wondering what songs I should definitely check out from them.

So far, I've heard Little Lion Man, White Blank Page, and The Cave. What are some other good ones? I realize I could probably just Youtube their songs, but usually, I like to find out a bands really good songs and then go back and listen to their other stuff.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jimbo

Dude, fair warning: this shit rarely if ever works. But if you're set on it then 'Roll Away Your Stone' is probably the song you're looking for.

Or just grow a pair and touch her on the shoulder already.

edit: 'Winter Winds' probably a bad idea.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By EquitasInvictus

I really love to meditate over The Cave and Little Lion Man.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cheesebob

NONE OF THEM. Mumford and Sons suck huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge elephant dick.

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThatIndianGuy7116

@Cheesebob:

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By zeforgotten

Jeff!  

Edit: No wait, Brad!   

Seriously though: I think @Jimbo said it: Roll Away Your Stone

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

Awake My Soul is fantastic.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By StarFoxA

They only have one album... so just listen to that whole thing? It's pretty good, even though a lot of people seem to hate it for some reason. The three you listed are my three favorites. If she likes Mumford & Sons, you could introduce her to The Oh Hello's to boost your hipster cred (no, but seriously, The Oh Hello's are fantastic, and I have to mention them anywhere music is mentioned).

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CaLe

A drunken homosexual male once sat on my knee and forced me to listen to Mumford and Sons. I then made him listen to J-Pop as revenge.

Don't have any favourites because I don't remember song names, or lyrics, or anything related to music.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Arebuckle

@AlisterCat: What he said. That's pretty much my favourite non-single track. That and Sigh No More, but I would suggest AMS over it. SNM is more of a start of a playlist track than a standalone one.

You know what? Just listen to the entire album, start to finish. That would be better.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wjb

I heard of them, but I don't know any of their work.

Not to give unwarranted advice, but don't be the dude that magically likes everything she does; it can creep girls out. It's okay to be like, "Hey, I didn't know this band before but I'm kind of digging them", not "They're like, my favorite thing ever but I don't know anything about them except one song. Wanna make-out now?!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Are you implying that there is a good Mumford and Sons song out there? Where? All I hear I a bunch of banjo-based drivel.

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@StarFoxA: lol wow I should I have done a bit more research on them. I thought they had like 2-3 albums or something. I will definitely buy their album then.

and The Oh Hellos are pretty damn good as well.

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wjb said:

Not to give unwarranted advice, but don't be the dude that magically likes everything she does; it can creep girls out. It's okay to be like, "Hey, I didn't know this band before but I'm kind of digging them", not "They're like, my favorite thing ever but I don't know anything about them except one song. Wanna make-out now?!"

No, it's cool. I totally get it. I only found this out about her. Other than her liking this band, I really don't know much else about her. I was planning on doing the whole "I'm kinda digging them" thing too but I didn't even know if that was going to be creepy or not so, it's good to know that it isn't

Although the "Wanna make-out now" line is kinda tempting....

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MezZa

No offense, but if you want to start a conversation with her about the band, why not ask her for suggestions instead of us? Just say that you heard she knows about the band and that you have an interest in their work. There's a conversation right there and it's easy to follow up on later by commenting on what you thought of her suggestions. I feel like you're over thinking this in an unnatural way. It's like you're trying to study for a conversation. You don't need to be knowledgeable in the things she likes just to talk to her about them.

And I was going to say Little Lion Man, but I see you have that covered already. Oh and on an unrelated note, it's good that she apparently has good taste in music.

Edit: Oh and good luck with your efforts!

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I@MentalDisruption said:

No offense, but if you want to start a conversation with her about the band, why not ask her for suggestions instead of us?

I mean, I more asked you guys because I personally ended up really liking the band, but yeah, I see what you mean

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Red

The one where they shallowly rip-off Fleet Foxes with ridiculously self-important lyrics.

Oh wait, that's all of them. Tough choice, really.

Stink_Meaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Stink_Meaner

I like their theme song the best

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Jams

@Stink_Meaner said:

Damn you beat me to it!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By xyzygy

Last summer my roomate and sister played M&S over and over and ruined any sort of positive space they held in my mind. I just get annoyed whenever I hear them now. They used to be the only "acoustic" band that I liked but not anymore. Acoustic just gets on my nerves. Except maybe Fiona Apple's new album which, granted, is pretty bizarre for an acoustic album.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Milkman
@Red

The one where they shallowly rip-off Fleet Foxes with ridiculously self-important lyrics.

Oh wait, that's all of them. Tough choice, really.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PandaBear

What you wanna do is come to a video game website and put up a slightly misleading post about wanting to find a song from a band that some girl you know likes, then introduce the concept of using said music to somehow woo this girl. I mean it's not like you'll get a ton of sarcastic answers or anything.

And a quick Wikipedia search reveals they have one album and one out this month. So their ENTIRE album catalog (excluding eight-minute EPs they recorded when they got together in the 1920s) is less than an hour. You're not exactly trawling through a massive backlog here.

Grow some balls and talk to the girl, trying to slyly move in by saying "oh yeah I'm way into the same music you are since about a week ago" is stupid. Be yourself (sounds lame, but fuck it) and go from there.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Tell her to stop listening to Mumford And Sons and start listening to Psyopus.

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PandaBear said:

Grow some balls and talk to the girl, trying to slyly move in by saying "oh yeah I'm way into the same music you are since about a week ago" is stupid. Be yourself (sounds lame, but fuck it) and go from there.

Guys, I just want to be clear. Right now, I'm not necessarily trying to find out these songs for her. Yeah, I like her and all that, but I genuinely started to really like this band and wanted to find out more info on them for my personal benefit. I also wanted to get more active on these forums and I figured it'd be cool to see what other members of Giant Bomb enjoyed the band. Again this has little, if anything, to do with trying to impress this girl. This is about me.

Making me feel like a piece of shit by telling me that I'm being creepy or trying too hard isn't helping either. "Oh, just be yourself! Stop being a pussy" Do you really think that it's that easy?

Anyway, yeah, sorry for trying to create some discussion and find out about a band. I guess casually mentioning a girl you sort of have a crush on somehow makes you a creep...

Seastalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seastalk

Just listen to all of their music (LPs) and see what you think of them. If you don't like them, well... I guess don't talk about them to this girl.

Personally I like the band, I like lots of bands. I would disagree that they're a rip off of the Fleet Foxes. If they were, then I guess you would have to consider Okkervil River, Shearwater and the like to be rip offs.

Also... talking to girls is not that hard... we like to talk about things that you like to talk about (but probably not childish stuff that some guys are into... poop jokes are not funny), sooo bridge a topic about things and then talk about them.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By spiceninja

Just listen to the entire Sigh No More album. It's amazing.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Contrarian

How could anyone not mention this song?

You could impress with this little piece of information I saw on Youtube:

"Timshel," a word that loosely translates as "thou mayest;" the word suggests that we as humans, with the consciousness we "achieved" by eating from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil in the Garden of Eden, can in every moment CHOOSE our behaviour; we can choose between good and evil."

Timshel is a really fantastic piece of music. Mumford and Sons produce some beautiful music. Good luck sir!

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Contrarian: Wow, nice song and very interesting information. Thanks!

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PandaBear

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

So, there is this girl in my school I have a crush on and I heard she liked this band Mumford and Sons. I decided to check them out so maybe I could create some conversation with her about them. I was fully expecting to hate them and....they are actually really friggin good. I was wondering what songs I should definitely check out from them.

So far, I've heard Little Lion Man, White Blank Page, and The Cave. What are some other good ones? I realize I could probably just Youtube their songs, but usually, I like to find out a bands really good songs and then go back and listen to their other stuff.

@PandaBear said:

@ThatIndianGuy7116 said:

Guys, I just want to be clear. Right now, I'm not necessarily trying to find out these songs for her. Yeah, I like her and all that, but I genuinely started to really like this band and wanted to find out more info on them for my personal benefit. I also wanted to get more active on these forums and I figured it'd be cool to see what other members of Giant Bomb enjoyed the band. Again this has little, if anything, to do with trying to impress this girl. This is about me.
Making me feel like a piece of shit by telling me that I'm being creepy or trying to hard isn't helping either. "Oh, just be yourself! Stop being a pussy" Do you really think that it's that easy?
Anyway, yeah, sorry for trying to create some discussion and find out about a band. I guess casually mentioning a girl you sort of have a crush on somehow makes you a creep...

I never said you were a creep. I said talk to the girl. And like I also said they have one album, it's not exactly a massive backlog to get through.

Life's too short dude, seriously. Fuck the nerves, take a chance.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By biggiedubs

Hook her up with this song. I was pretty shocked by how good it was. It's off the Punk Goes Pop 4 album by the way.

Also, the way to her heart may not be necessarily just talking to her about bands she likes, but impressing her with your musical knowledge (in a causal, modest kind of way). Show her some Frightened Rabbit or Of Monsters And Men or something. Buy the CD and give it to her with your number in it. Life can be more romantic than you think, if you let it be.

Just talking to her is definitely the best way, though. You don't have to be a smooth talker or anything, just that you're confident enough to actually talk to a girl in real life. Fuck who notices and fuck who says anything about it. Facebook / Email / Texting is convenient, but incredibly fucking lazy and cheap.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Stink_Meaner said:

That shit is my jam.

Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32  Edited By Vance_Helsing

"The Cave" makes me want to kill myself every time I hear it, does that count?

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Blackout62

The one that sounds like a strong yet sensitive male lover swearing his neverending loyalty to the love of his life after he rides up to and sweeps her onto his horse. As they ride along the beach she leans into his defined chest flaring out of his open shirt, and his long hair flows gently in the seaside winds.

So you know pretty much all the Mumford and Sons songs.

Sploder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sploder

What genre are they? I'd hate to try them and find out that they're one of those fucking indie bands that are all like AWEYO OH OH OH AWEYO *diddly diddly diddly* AWEYO OH OH INSERT THE HOOK HERE AWEYO OH OH *diddly diddly diddly*  OH OH OH

and no the diddly diddleys are not Ned Flanders they represent the guitar

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By gaminghooligan
AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AlexanderSheen

The Cave

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

Y'know, I never tried to listen to Mumford and Sons. I like Little Lion Man (the way he says "fucked" is pretty cool). I'm all hipster toward them (I heard "Little Lion Man" on college radio BEFORE it was big and they're bland because everybody else likes them BLEH), but I understand that mindset is kinda stupid. That singer guy is kinda handsome; perhaps I should give 'em more of a listen-through. Find the CD at your local library or something and tell me whatcha think of it. While I don't know much about Mumford and Sons, I figure if you like them, then you'll like that style of music. There's a lot of folk-rocky stuff out in the pop-music sea. Search! "Sun Giant" by Fleet Foxes is pretty great: Five great songs in a sort of Beach Boys-Crosby, Stills, and Nash style. And Nick Drake's Pink Moon, man. Nick Drake's Pink Moon.

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PandaBear: And I'll say it again. I appreciate your advice and sorry I didn't do a little bit of research beforehand on the band, but I wasn't looking for advice on getting the girl, I was simply trying to create discussion about a band without the same old "So, who here likes *insert band name here*!"

Avatar image for andrewbeardsley
AndrewBeardsley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AndrewBeardsley

@ThatIndianGuy7116:

I hate to be this person....

Ask her on a date. Be a man. Its not that hard.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By UlquioKani

They have 1 album out so you might as well listen to all of that.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By PandaBear

@AndrewBeardsley said:

@ThatIndianGuy7116:

I hate to be this person....

Ask her on a date. Be a man. Its not that hard.

I said that too, but apparently the main point of this thread is to discuss Mumford & Sons and not the deep seeded love he has for this girl. Please stay on topic. It's vitally important. You'll get a PM reminding you how important this is very soon. Now back to the riveting discussion of Mumford & Sons and their one (maybe two now) albums.

/sarcasm

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By caska

Welcome to the internets where well meaning intentions and discussion can always degrade into shit.

In terms of Mumford and Sons pretty much all of their songs are great! They have a new album coming out soon too and they've released a song on youtube which you can listen to and it's looking pretty good so far (that said it sounds like more of the same so it may not be evolutionary and hence some probably wont like it). If you're after a similar vein of music then you should definitely check out Boy and Bear and I would probably recommend giving their song Feeding Line a whirl to get a general idea. There's a bunch of other people I want to recommend but since I'm from Australia they're all big in the hipster scene here but probably not widely available. You'd be able to find them on Spotify and the like so I can name a few if you want to know them.

Music sometimes frustrates me as a topic of discussion because tastes are so varied. For some reason there's always someone who will want to put you down for liking a band or saying that they're just ripping off other people's work. I don't get why people are so opinionated about it but I guess that's also the best thing about music since it's something everyone relates to in a different way. Even if people say they don't like music it's probably because they haven't been exposed to the right type. For me I'm a fan of Dre's Next Episode or WSC's Gansta Nation (RIP Nate Dogg) but at the same time I'm a fan of Royksopp and even the wonderful voice of Cara Dillon and her Irish folk music. It's insane the range of music out there and what I'm getting at is that for me, a shy guy, music is the best thing to talk about when you're getting to know people since I can't really relate in terms of culture (I'm Indian and a Muslim), gossip (why do people care about famous people so much?!) and I'm a science nerd so that pretty much gets rid of any conversation that doesn't have well thought out arguments and sources (i.e. any amount of analysis...). So I don't fret dude if you're anything of the same then I can understand why you'd want to hit up similar music to your peers.

Dude, pretty sure PM means it's something he wanted to be private and outing him like that is kinda douchey (yes I am using that word :P). Not trying to argue or anything since it was a valid reply but I'm sure the guy's just shy or something and probably doesn't appreciate the sarcasm. But then again, I don't know either of you so this might be some elaborate troll to make it into some troll society (damn Newsroom, are there really places like that?).

ThatIndianGuy7116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@caska: Ehh, not gonna waste my time on him anymore. He (or she, for all I know) seems to be looking too deeply into my intentions for starting this thread. I didn't realize casually mentioning a crush on a girl meant you had a deep seeded love for her.

BTW, pretty interesting choice in music you have! I like the people you listed!