What are the best "old" bands you've discovered this year?

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bruce

Whether it be through Genius on Itunes (which I personally find atrocious), LastFM 'you listen to this band, so listen to this band!' recommendations, or just word of mouth, it's pretty hard not to discover new old music. And with online resources being what they now are, the obscure bands of the past are becoming more and more easy to discover; hell, people like Soundway (sp?) Records have made their entire shtick on releasing old Afro-Pop compilations of African/Caribbean artists from the seventies that otherwise would have been long out of print. It's almost to the point where mainstream hard rock fans are going, "Hey man, did you ever hear of Television? Marquee Moon is pretty badass." 

Considering that the only real MAJOR release left for me this year is The Suburbs, by Arcade Fire (which I am NOT looking forward to, given the singles), I thought I'd highlight some of the old stuff I've discovered this year.  

1. Saint Etienne  (1994)

I have a thing for female fronted bands with the word "saint" in their name, so this is really no surprise. Saint Etienne was a nineties' dance act from the UK, a fact which more or less guaranteed that they'd be lost in the RIDICULOUS amount of trip-hop and general dance stuff that also came out in the nineties. However, unlike the majority, stuff like Tiger Bay still holds up; especially "Hug my Soul", which sounds more like loving eighties' post-New Order nostalgia than the same era that brought us Power Rangers. 

2. Big Star (1978)

It's sort of depressing to think about the number of rock fans unaware of Big Star. Alex Chilton was a genius, and while I do acknowledge that not EVERYTHING they made was fantastic (to me), a lot of it was. With "Holocaust" and "Blue Moon", Chilton gave McCartney a run for his money when it came to dark, sadly self-aware, existential ballads.   

3. Dion (1961)

Now, this is kind of a weird choice, but let me explain: I have been aware of Dion & The Belmonts since childhood. Being from the Bronx and having older parents it was kind of hard not to know fifties' time pieces, such as "Teenager in Love" and "I Wonder Why". However, it wasn't until a few months back that I discovered Dion's first album: Runaround Sue, released in 1961. For an early rock record NOT by the Beatles, IT'S PRETTY GOOD! Doo-wop singers always sounded better to me than the straight rockers like Elvis and Buddy Holly (larger range, less boring), plus Dion looked like a Kennedy, which was pretty cool. That being said, "Runaround Sue" is a pretty obvious classic from an era that wasn't used to such bluntness in lyrics. SHE GOES OUT WITH OTHER FUCKING GUYS PEOPLE! THE GIRL'S A SLUT! ASK HIM! HE KNOWS! It's hilarious to think about Dion pushing the envelope with "Runaround Sue" (not beating around the bush at all), when only six years later The Velvet Underground would release "Heroin". 
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Milkman

Not this year but I only discovered Mission of Burma a couple years back. 

Mario2544

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mario2544

I didn't really listen to much music till this year but I did discover Shaggy, SR-71, Outkast, The Myriad and Imogen Heap this year, I'd show you songs but I don't wanna embed like 5 videos >_>

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I dunno what you guys are saying but I love smoking a dub. 

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By TomA

Certainly not The Beatles

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bruce
@Dan_CiTi:  

Yeah, smoking the occasional blunt is cool. But what's your point?
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By bonbolapti

I think If I never seen a certain stella artois commercial, I would never have known about Brigitte Bardot. Which is funny considering I already listen to a lot of Francophone Musique (harhar I'm funny) but this caught me be surprise. just the kind of music it is, and the time it came from. It's hip it's bubbly, it's just nice to listen to.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8  Edited By turboman

There's this new band I've been listening too called "ACDC"... those guys rule.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By Red

I didn't really know much about LCD Soundsystem until I heard All My Friends, which was earlier this year. 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bruce
@Red:  

That's the best way to go about his music. Lol
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By CoolDrMoney
I didn't discover Les Savy Fav's Rome (Written Upside Down) until this year. It was released in July 2000, so it's officially old this month, right? Hell of an EP. Cool blend of post-punk/post-hardcore. Actually, it's post-chillwave, or proto-dubstep. Nugaze? Coke Rap, yeah, Coke Rap.

@edsone:  We have the same join date! I'm glad someone else was fashionably late to the party as well.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce
@CoolDrMoney:  

Post-chillwave? Oh god, these fucking subgenres need to STOP!  I heard the term "Punk-Cabaret" the other day and just wanted to collapse. 
thatguy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By thatguy42

I discovered Mr. Blue Sky by ELO through the movie "The Invention of Lying."  Took me 3 days to find the song cause I kept on thinking it was in the movie The Rocker.  The only problem is I can't find any more songs by ELO that I like. 
I learned of Madness through their album "The Liberty of Norton Folgate" and the song "On the Town" being stuck in my head for a week.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By one_2nd
@Dan_CiTi said:
" I dunno what you guys are saying but I love smoking a dub.  "
GENIUS!
ThePwnee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThePwnee

Shpongle. Some dude posted this video a little while ago in another thread. Edit: shit, i guess it's not really that old. Whatever.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Gunner
@Bruce said:
" @CoolDrMoney:   Post-chillwave? Oh god, these fucking subgenres need to STOP!  I heard the term "Punk-Cabaret" the other day and just wanted to collapse.  "
new wave post-progressive metalcore techno punk is were its at. 

I actually heard someone call a band "hardcore gypsy punk" at a show without even trying to be ironic. The band they were refering to did nothing but The Misfits and NOFX covers...

I always thought of "Runaround Sue" to be a weird song considering its about falling in love with a slut, and that genre of music always hit me as a "wholesome white bread" style of music.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bruce
@Gunner:  

Hence its appeal, past the obvious catchiness.
Avatar image for kamikazecaterpillar
KamikazeCaterpillar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Gunner: I saw a video of some band that was considered Gypsy Punk of which cannot remember the name but they were amazing.  
edit: Alright I think I found the band and their name is Gogol Bordello. Also, if the people editing pages on wikipedia are to be believed then The World/Inferno Friendship Society are also gypsy punk and they are fantastic. I do agree that these pointless genres might be unnecessary but it does make finding new music easy.
BackupPanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By BackupPanic

While not technically that old, I'm assuming anything ten years or older is sufficient. 

Though if you require something legitimately older, here's a man I discovered late last year. 

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Daft Punk. Always knew about them just never bothered to listen.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gunner
@sodiumCyclops said:

" Daft Punk. Always knew about them just never bothered to listen. "

I wouldnt really consider Daft punk old, Maybe im just becoming an old fart but when i think of older music i think of anything past the 80's.

An older band ive discovered lately that ive heard about but never really looked into is The Adicts. I'm kinda upset that i haven't gotten into them sooner. 

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By flaminghobo

Whilst I already loved Rush, I re-discovered my love for their work.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By c1337us

I haven't had the time recently so I have just been relying on my staple favorites.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FunExplosions
@Bruce: 
I don't actually think I've discovered any music this year... Hmm. I spend most of my time in the spectrum of video games. So although I knew of Dion and the Belmonts, your blog did remind me of how damn good Runaround Sue is. Watching that kid perform makes me so...so depressed with the current state of pop.
Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vonocourt

Can't say I've found any old bands recently, though Last.fm did turn me onto Televison last year oddly enough.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Bruce
@Vonocourt:  

Oh the irony. lol
Zoidberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Zoidberg

Just discovered Cap'n Jazz. And Neil Young.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GreggD

The only band I can think of that fits this particular bill is The Zombies.

Thrillhouse87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Thrillhouse87

recently discovered I really like Frank Sinatra. Never thought that kind of music was my cup of tea, but I love it.
SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SSValis

Jesus and Mary Chain and the singer Towns Van Zandt 

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By dfsvegas

Well, ironically, St. Vincent would be one. Love that chick. 

Imogen Heap 

Tony Toni Tone (didn't really "discover them, so much as I rediscovered them, and found out Raphael Saadiq was one of the members).

Sleigh Bells

Hmmmmm.... Not a ton I just discoverd this year. Did most of my music discovering last year.

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Civraz

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bruce
@Dogbert47:  

Oh my, that's a pretty big band to discover!
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Snipzor

Caravan, quite depressing considering I'm already big on Canterbury, and I haven't ever heard of Caravan before. Obvious stupidity on my part.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bruce
@Snipzor:  

I like a few songs by them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beach Boys.  Really Just Pet sounds. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheGreatGuero

The Violent Femmes. It wasn't until this year that I discovered they were an 80's band. I thought they were totally from this decade.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

I'm not much for country music despite spending my formative years growing up in Texas. My major exposure to it was through what friends of mine listened to, and to me, it was little more than standard pop with an affected twang and a tele thrown in for good measure. However, when talking to a friend of mine from home several months ago, he brought up Townes Van Zandt as an oft overlooked artist. It took some time, but I eventually sat down and gave him a spin. I had been missing out. Van Zandt is one of those poor bastards who had a gift for singing about hard times because those are the only kind he'd ever know. Astonoishingly dark, complex lyrics, skillful playing, and emotional crooning combine to create some wholly unique songs. Van Zandt was a troubadour on par with Bob Dylan, but he never escaped the demons he song about. There's a great documentary on him, but watching it/listening to him might make you want to sit down and drink.
iKANNIBAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By iKANNIBAL
Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By Aarny91

Quite alot actually. Hell, I only discovered the awesome that is The Beatles this year.

jmfinamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jmfinamore
@Bruce:  Punk-cabaret is for posers. I only listen to electro-swing with gypsy jazz influences. 

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By HS21

My Chemical Romance.

Noodlearms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Noodlearms

Pet Sounds by The Beach Boys and listening to Sgt Pepper's for the first time come to mind. Oh, and I listened to a bit of Bowie. Enjoyed it.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By fisher81