• 104 results
Avatar image for guided_by_tigers
#51 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8020 posts) -

My Sennheiser HD 280's have lasted me a good 3 years and are still kicking.

#52 Edited by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

I gave up on this foolish notion of headphones lasting a long time ago, I have my own system: I spend a lot on some headphones that I only keep and use at home, then I buy simple $30 headphones to take outta the house. When they inevitably break after 6-10 months I just go buy a new pair.

As a general rule I avoid headphones whenever I can though, music isn't the same when it doesn't fill a room and acoustics have a lot to do with it.

#53 Edited by ShaggE (8756 posts) -

The Logitech headset I'm wearing right now. Two years of super heavy use and still working, which is a personal record. The left side cuts out unless I fiddle with the wire now, but that's the only issue, as annoying as it can be.

#54 Posted by Julmust (1650 posts) -

Sennheiser HD215. 5 years, wore them everyday for hours upon hours, until the plastic just recently exploded. They had a great run, I would highly recommend them.

I'm ordering another pair of them. I got a pair of ATH-M50's but they just weren't the same. Clamped to my head and gave me severe headaches, so I'll get them because quality and comfort was great, but of course I could get better sounding headphones. I'll maybe get some Grado's for music later down the line, but I just can't see any replacements for the HD215's.

Avatar image for familyphotoshoot
#55 Posted by familyphotoshoot (713 posts) -

@xobballox: Same here. Been rocking this pair for like three years. The only thing that's even slightly worn out is the head-pad thing.

#56 Posted by Robot_Sneakers (419 posts) -

I think my Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones are like 3-4 years old and they've lasted really well, great sound and I love the cord length, although I don't wear them outside my house.

My HD 25-1-ii's have lasted about a year and are in great shape and I wear them outside and take them with me everywhere and can just throw them in a bag. They're fairly indestructible and the parts are really easy to replace if anything ever went wrong. They have a good all around sound and I'm a huge fan, I bought them since I tend to run through headphones and I'm really happy with them.

#57 Edited by ZimboDK (863 posts) -

@NegativeCero said:

@Strife777: I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 555's for over a year now. They're my first pair of headphones, so I may not be the one to ask about sound but they're reliable and super comfortable. I could live with the cord being shorter, though.

I had those for several years. They only have one plastic joint between the speaker and head... thingy. Mine ended up falling apart. Switched them out with a pair of PC 360. Basically the same as the HD555's, but with double joints and a mic.

#58 Posted by Sploder (919 posts) -

My Sennheiser HD202's just died last night, fantastic pair of headphones that lasted me around 18 months. Good quality, and pretty well priced too. I got em' for £25.

#59 Posted by Notkcots (94 posts) -

If you're willing to go with earbuds, Klipsch IMAGE S4s are probably the best ones for the money. They're pretty damn good quality and have really nice bass without being overpowering. They even come in a steel carrying case so that they don't get ruined. I've had mine for 4 years now and the worst that's happened to them was that I had to replace the rubber tips after losing them. They're a steal at $60.

#60 Posted by Funrush (73 posts) -

My default iPod headphones lasted two years before they started peeling apart. It's really ironic, because they are really shitty headphones, but they lasted the longest for me! XD

I don't own a headset, as I don't play online often.

#61 Posted by kalmis (1745 posts) -

Same here, tend to go through a headset every few months. Of course I use them all time. Got three headsets which use constantly. One at work and one home for my iPoop which is used for walks/gym. Also got one gaming headset which is Plantronics brand. It is the gym headset I need to replace most often. Weighlifting and cables go figure?!

Ended up buying a bunch of cheapo JVC/Sony or something brands and got always extra pair at home and work. Got sick of replacing the Sennheiser headsets all the time. The sound quality is not as good with the cheap ones, but at least I am not gutted when they break. Also at work and gym the sound quality is not so important, since i am kind of there to do more important shit :)

#62 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10825 posts) -

Personally I eventually break headphones by stepping on them, recently breaking my most expensive headset of the Logitech variety. So I resorted to just buying a cheap set of headphones, and surprise they don't break when you step on them (6'2 170); cheapness is the answer.

#63 Posted by Chemin (656 posts) -

Probably my Sennheiser HD 435 pair. Got them years ago, still in excellent condition. I had less luck with my PC 360, where the mic broke just after the warranty expired, and I had to buy a new pair (yes, I loved them enough to give them a second chance).

#64 Posted by Rekt_Hed (955 posts) -

TechnicsHeadphoneRP-DH 1200 - But they are more suited to DJing because they are a little heavy after long use if you are just letting them rest on your head.

#65 Posted by tineyoghurt (380 posts) -

@fetchfox said:

I hear you friend, I've been in the same boat for many years. I'm currently rocking a pair of AKG stereo headphones, clean and simple sound at a fair price. Hoping they'll last for some time.

I have an older version of the 514s, and I've had them for just over two years now and they still work perfectly fine, despite falling of my desk all the time and sometimes being stuffed into a packed bag. So yeah, my own empirical research tells me that AKG makes pretty durable stuff.

#66 Posted by RareMonkey (136 posts) -

I had my icemat siberia's for a long time (3-4 years, my buddy uses them now still going) I have now upgraded to the steelseries siberia v2 super comfy all around good headphones too

#67 Posted by Arkasai (734 posts) -

I've never owned a pair but I have a few friends that do sound and video that swear by Sony MDR-V6's and 7506's. Sony has supposedly sold millions of these things since the 80's (they're almost identical headphones) and continue to sell them at about the same rate.

My Grados from high school still sound great but they've never been outside, pretty much any headphone you take with you will eventually be damaged or completely destroyed. I've had pretty good luck keeping my expensive sets inside and having a designated drawer for them, that's really the only way you'll be able to hold onto them for any length of time.

#68 Posted by fattony12000 (8402 posts) -
No Caption Provided
#69 Posted by JeanLuc (3882 posts) -

My current headphones, SteelSeries Siberia V1. I've had them for almost 4 years now.

No Caption Provided
#70 Posted by Icemo (716 posts) -

I've had these Steelseries Siberia v2's for about 2 years. Bought these after my Koss headphones got destroyed, and these work just fine for me. Until I test some more expensive headphones obviously, but not gonna let that happen.

No Caption Provided
#71 Edited by TruthTellah (9816 posts) -

@crusader8463: These Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones have stood up for years. They still work great after all this time, and despite being used almost every day, they look just about as good as they did the day I got them. Amazing build on these. I'd highly recommend them if you need that noise-cancelling on sturdy headphones.

#72 Posted by billyhoush (1271 posts) -
No Caption Provided
#73 Posted by crusader8463 (14759 posts) -

@RareMonkey: @Icemo: The Steelseries Siberia V2's were the ones I ended up going with as I needed the head set ASAP, the only store in my area had no selection at all, and I couldn't wait around for me to get them if I had of waited to buy them online as I needed them for this weekend and it would be until the follow one at the earliest had I bought them online. While I like the sound and feel of them, I honestly can't tell I'm wearing them some times they are so light, I'm a bit worried about the connectors at the end.

The actual cord coming from the headset is super short and they plug into an extender that has me a bit confused. There is this USB one and another audio jack one. Am I correct in understanding that you have to use the USB one to get surround sound? I can't tell the difference and when I install the custom software from the website the headset just doesn't work at all as my PC doesn't pick it up. I'm also afraid to use the audio plug in extender as the thing is so dam long I'm terrified it will get wrapped up in something and get yanked out or damage the cabling inside.

#74 Posted by AjayRaz (12862 posts) -

not sure about the model, but i've been occasionally using these white Pioneer headphones that i got for 40$, just because i needed a new pair. i've had em for nearly 2 years now and i've had no problems with them so far

#75 Posted by super2j (2126 posts) -

@believer258 said:

This pair of Sony headphones that I've got sitting next to me. I see them often and these have lasted a long time. Not the best sounding things in the world but they're plenty good enough and they don't break on me, unlike my brother's Sennheiser's which he has to fiddle with to make them work.

No Caption Provided

probably these for me too, but i broke them just a couple of hours ago. Great thing i payed 5$ for the warranty. Gunna go switch them out tomorrow.

Avatar image for godlyawesomeguy
#76 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6330 posts) -

The Triton AX 720's have broken multiple times, but that's what the warranty is for, right? They are phenomenal otherwise.

#77 Posted by intro (1273 posts) -

Standard Zune headphones. Dropped them completely under water and they worked perfect an hour later. Lasted me about 4 years.

#78 Posted by Grillbar (2079 posts) -

sennheiser HD something something lasted 1 year before the cord got ripped/detaged from the left side, its allways the left one that dies and always the same way. every time

#79 Edited by Icemo (716 posts) -

@crusader8463: Looks like Steelseries has changed those headphones since my model doesnt have a usb cord so I don't know what it does. As for the length and durability of the cord, my aux plugin is near me so I haven't been using the extender that much, but I do sometimes stand up while wearing headphones and the connectors still work. If you use the extender cord, just roll most of it on the table and put something heavy on top of it so it doesn't get wrapped around your feet. And that extender cord is durable too, I don't have enough fingers to count how many times I have rolled over it with my office chair and it still works. It's a miracle how long my pair has lasted with all the abuse I have given to them.

#80 Posted by That1BlackGuy (219 posts) -

I had this old ass pair of Panasonic headphones I got from Dollar Tree at one time, I can't count how many times I mistakenly pulled on the cords, dropped them and more but those bastards lasted me 7 years. People say that you get what you pay for, funny because it seems all the cheap shit I buy is more durable/reliable than expensive stuff and people wonder why I am a cheapskate.

#81 Edited by Funkydupe (3614 posts) -

Fatality gaming headset from Creative. Really cheap too, but they've lasted a record while for me.

#82 Posted by ervonymous (1299 posts) -

Sennheiser HD 212Pro, five years and counting. I bought Sony MDR-XB700s to replace them and continue to stubbornly use them even though I think the old pair outclasses them in several aspects. Amazing since they were like half the price. Recommended to anyone looking for affordable and sturdy sealed headphones with deep bass for games and music you want to ruin.

No Caption Provided
#83 Posted by Mirado (2557 posts) -

Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10; had them for years now and they've been great. With replaceable cords any breakage costs me $20 instead of $400 to replace.

And yeah, I paid $400 for them. Worth every penny.

#84 Posted by 49th (3727 posts) -

My iPod headphones still work and are probably 7 years old now.

I don't use them though, I have Sennheiser CX 300 II which are around 4 years old.

#85 Posted by psylah (2317 posts) -

Sony MDR-V6

They were like 70 bucks. The thin layer of leather they put over the cups was eventually ripped to shreds by my prickly hair, but a pair of replacement velour cups from Beyerdynamic solved that problem.

I use them mostly on the PC at home, since the cord is like 30 feet long and coiled, but sometimes I wear it in the winter and tuck the cable into a interior coat pocket. Keeps the ears warm.

They sound great, no extra bass or anything, just proper sound.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
#86 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6500 posts) -

I've got the Sennheiser CX 680i Sports. They have little fins on the top of the earbuds so they stay in your ear, they're sweatproof, they've got kevlar wiring, they're only $50 and they have great sound quality for the price. I got them after tearing through two different models of Beats by Dre (you'd think I'd learn my lesson the first time) and realizing you're only paying for the name. I wouldn't say Beats don't have good audio quality but they're a bit bassy and, of course, don't stand up well to the beating I serve out to my earbuds. If durability is what you're looking for I suggest you look into the Sennheiser model I mentioned earlier. But I think from the OP that you're looking for over-ears anyway.

#87 Posted by ConfusedOwl (1176 posts) -

My Sony MDR-XD100. Relatively cheap headphones but the first pair I had lasted 4 years before breaking. Ended up getting another pair and they've served me well so far.

#88 Posted by Simplexity (1430 posts) -

I bought a pair of headphones from a sub 2 dollar basket in some backwater store because I forgot my real pair at home, funnily enough they lasted for 3 years and the Headphones I had that I paid 120 bucks for broke after about 8 months.

Not always that you get what you pay for.

#89 Posted by ArtisanBreads (9107 posts) -

I think about buying some of the larger form headphones but I like the portability of earbuds. But damn if I don't run through some earbuds. Shit sucks.

#90 Posted by darkedhunter (42 posts) -

I think the detachable cord is key when getting a durable pair of headphones... I recently bought a pair of open AKGs as monitor substitutes and am loving them so far. Probably too big to be used outside though....

Avatar image for strangebosebhoy
#91 Edited by StrangeBoseBhoy (1 posts) -

I bought a pair of BOSE QC2 Headphones around 2003. Still have the same pair and they still sound sweet and faultless in 2018. Reasons? You can replace the removable cord - you can replace the ear cups - you can replace the headband - all to this day. Had an issue lately where the right can would buzz. Took headphone cover off and peeked inside. Turns out that a part had came a bit loose. Consulted YouTube - easy fix. I just put a small piece of plastic between the membrane and held it together with tape. Fixed. Rocking.

Talk about value for money!!! I paid only about 170 Pounds for them back in ‚03. best bit till last: i can now upgrade them to wireless as some companies made small Bluetooth receivers. Amazing 😂

#92 Posted by mattchops (223 posts) -

Bang and Olufson BEOPlay H3 https://www.beoplay.com/en/products/beoplayh3

They still have a headphone jack, produce great sound, and you look pretty good for ear buds.

#93 Edited by nutter (384 posts) -

I have that single-ear Halo 2 Platronics headset and it still works.

It’s chat only, but that thing is a beast. My kid sometimes uses it with a 360 controller playing Xbox One games on PC.

#94 Posted by TheKramer89 (524 posts) -

These bad boys. $16 for monoprice over-ear headphones. Sound pretty solid, very comfortable, and cheaper than anything. Cannot recommend these enough.

#95 Posted by Ezekiel (2257 posts) -

I've had my Sennheiser HD 558 for three years and three months.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
#96 Posted by OpusOfTheMagnum (498 posts) -

If you want durable, you want metal construction and/or a replaceable cable. My DT 880 Pros are rock solid, they look and feel brand new after years of mistreatment, and it's the metal construction I attribute that to. Plastic is nice an all but in headphones they rarely use proper reinforced plastic or engineer things for longevity. By the time you get to that level with plastic parts you are paying more than the 880s which run around $150. $30 more for a mid mic and you have a magnetic detach for a very solid microphone. That combo has lasted me ages. Sounds great too, if not as good as my W1000x, but those MSRP for 6-700. Those are wood and metal construction and have been solid but I worry somewhat about the band: insanely comfortable for pointy headed types such as myself but the armature are a bit flimsy feeling and the metal band is very thin. Wear and tear wouldn't ve an issue but i would worry about stepping on them or something to that effect.

#97 Posted by ShaggyDude (239 posts) -

I love the Sony MDR series headphones too. My MDR7506 headphones are still going strong 4 years in and I did the same thing as @psylah and changed out the earcups for velour replacements and they are so comfortable. I also stuck a mod mic on the side of mine to turn it into a headset. They sound perfect and they are awesome for long sessions- but my whole setup is big I look like a sports commentator when I'm gaming haha

#98 Edited by Arjailer (134 posts) -

Had my Sennheiser HD 380 Pro's for coming up on 6 years now. Still work perfectly. Use them all the time for TV and gaming.

I've also had a pair of Sennheiser HD 205's for about 8 years. They don't get used as much these days (mostly guitar practice) but they still work perfectly too.

#99 Posted by Joker369 (996 posts) -

Yep. My Sennheiser HD-25s are still going strong at 9 years old. Just need to replace the ear pads every now and then.

#100 Posted by Ravelle (2976 posts) -

Most of my headphones don't really break or anything but out of nowhere one of the sides just stop working, had this both with my Razer Orca's and Sennheiser in-ear headphones.