What are the pros and cons of going to College / University...

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for thestandofthelastguy
TheStandofTheLastGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

.....I'm supposed to be going to University next year but I'm starting to reconsider it. Are you doing a degree education or plan to do one? Do you think the benefits out way the negatives?
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By subject2change

Seriously what negatives could their possibly be besides debt. Are you going to able to get a career without that education? 

Why are you starting to reconsider? Is it just your nerves from being away from home or being uncomfortable? Welcome to being an adult, gotta do things you don't always like or agree with.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

Lots of sexual fun.  You will be getting laid every weekend and half the time no one will remember it.  If you're a virgin now, get ready for some serious fun!  

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189
@KaosAngel said:
" Lots of sexual fun.  You will be getting laid every weekend and half the time no one will remember it.  If you're a virgin now, get ready for some serious fun!   "
Not this.

The positive is that you get a degree and that helps you in the long run. The negative is that you will be in debt. Are you European or American?
Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Moztacular

If you're not paying for it, mass amounts of freedom with little to no responsibility. If you are paying for it some debt but a degree that will let you into a career you want and a job that can pay off the debt. (PS, if you didn't already know, people who don't go into college go into debt as well) 

College isn't for everybody though, both my brother and sister both stopped after less than 1 semester, but I think they're crazy.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CandleJakk

As someone who started University in September here's what you can look forward to:
Moving away from home, giving increased amounts of freedom.
Getting on great and liking all you flatmates.
Hating all you flatmates.
Deciding who you hate and who you get on with.
Lots of great nights out.
Real world experience, which you gain earlier in your life than you would by staying at home with parents and working.
Debt.

It's awesome, trust me.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#7  Edited By Soap

£35,000 pounds of debt.
3 years of unemployment.
A hell of a lot of stress. 
Bad nights out with people who think vomitting is the sign of a good night out.
Idiots all around you.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK

A job outside of mcdonalds?

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Black_Rose

The only cons I see is that you'll have debt and little free time. Other than that, if you want a nice future, go to college. 

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake

You get access to the library which I might add, is the perfect place to eat crisps (or chips for some of you.)

That aside, it can be interesting depending on the college and what subjects you intend to study and you can meet interesting people.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Scooper

Plenty of girls. Also learning sometimes takes place.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By TheHBK
@Soap said:
" £35,000 pounds of debt. 3 years of unemployment. A hell of a lot of stress.  Bad nights out with people who think vomitting is the sign of a good night out. Idiots all around you. "
Dude, how is that bad?  I dont have that much debt, just $6,000 in loans since my school gave me lots of help.  unemployment?  Lots of partying!  That last part is basically half of Giant Bomb and the guys that make this site possible!
nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nrain

Ok I'm in my first year at University (UK) I do physics, and I had edgey feeling before I got here, I didn't know if I'd meet people I'd like, away from home etc. One thing that didn't worry me though is the debt (UK) here's why, you get a loan that covers your degree and another that you get to live on, this should be enough to get by if your extremely strict with budget, but seriously no-one is. You will have to have some starter cash to live off as well but you shouldn't dip into that heavily unless you plan on drinking your body mass in alcohol on a regular basis. 
I'm loving University though you meet cool people and learn about things that interest you (well as long as you pick your course wisely). What I would definitely recomend if you can manage the grades is a Collegiate University (Example Durham, Oxford) as these are fantastic for freshers as they're essentially mini communities where you live and eat in the University where it's incredibley easy to meet people and there's a lot of fun activities going on inside. 
The main reason to go to any univerisity though is to get a qualification that grants you the access to higher paid jobs, sure you'll be in debt for the rest of your life but it doesn't actually mean anything, they only take money out of your bank account when you have a decent wage and at the point I seriously don't care as I will have a well paid job and I can easily survive. 
Oh and there's also the appeal of the chance to get an uber awesome Dr. title which is really appealing to me despite how daunting a PhD is.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus

It can be the best time of your life, but it depends entirely on wether or not you're going to be paying for it, whether you're going to be working along side classes, whether you're going to be crashing with you're parents... It's worth it ether way (it doesn't sound like you've got a trade or skills set after highschool, so college is probably the best choice).

Avatar image for deactivated-5f17af3f88819
deactivated-5f17af3f88819

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you want to do with your life? If you think you are going to need a university degree to get the job you want, then you should go to university. If you want to do something that doesn't need a degree, like say carpentry, some other trade, or a non-academic career then a degree might not be worth the trouble. A degree really is a means to an end, in most cases (unless you want it to be "educated" and get a degree for the sake of an education), so if you have something in mind that you want to do, like say becoming a video game designer, than getting a degree in that is a good idea.  

Of course, not everyone knows what they want to do, and really the best way to find out what you want to do is by trying it. Do you live near a university and know someone who goes there? If you do, see if you can go with them to some of there classes and see if you like the atmosphere,. Have them show you around campus and things like that. Also, most universities do things like this already. Maybe it would be a good idea to check that out.  Also, check out what some other options other than university are. See what kind of jobs are out there that you might want to do if you don't got to university. If one interests you, see if you can find a way to try it out, try and volunteer at some places.  

As a lot of people have said, university is a place where you can meet a lot of people, try new things, learn something you enjoy, and learn to be on you own. Though it isn't for everyone, and, though some people might lead you to believe otherwise, it doesn't guarantee a good job or a job period. Really, if you have something in mind that you want to do, you should do that, whether it involves going to university or not.  If you are undecided on what to do than maybe university is not the best option, as if you are not focused on what you want to do you could end up wasting time and money being there, but you may also find what you are really passionate about. It all depends. So, my advice is to try somethings out see what you would like to do, and go form there.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By crusader8463

I went right as soon as i graduated high school and i wish i had waited. Mainly because my mom died while i was gone so i wish i had been able to spend the last few years she was alive with her, but also because while i was there i just felt burnt out and tired of learning after 13 years of school. I like to think if i had waited a few years, got some part time job and saved up my money so i didn't need to get a student loan not only would i not have this massive debt over me, but i might have actually did better and learned at the school. You may be different but for me the biggest thing is being able to leave college without any debt, which is a major help with whatever you do after.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@KaosAngel said:
" Lots of sexual fun.  You will be getting laid every weekend and half the time no one will remember it.  If you're a virgin now, get ready for some serious fun!   "
I can assure you that this stereotype of college life is definitely not true. 

And I'd say that's one of the downsides, you have to really be prepared to work, there's little time for anything else and you really have to devoate a lot of time and effort to studying.  Two years later, I have a degree, but I'm struggling to find work and have a massive amount of debt.  

But I'm an Art student, and as my career advisor told me:  "the most used phrase by art students is 'would you like fries with that?'"
Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By Cerza
@Soap said:
" £35,000 pounds of debt. 3 years of unemployment. A hell of a lot of stress.  Bad nights out with people who think vomitting is the sign of a good night out.Idiots all around you. "
This pretty much sums up my college/Uni experience exactly. The only thing that is missing is that people who you think are your friends will do things to you while you are sleeping. Awful awful awful things. Then you might wind up like me with a disrupted sleep cycle and night terrors.

College/Uni isn't for everyone. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need a college degree to get a job outside of McDonald's. Contrary to popular belief about 60% of the people that finish college and get a degree go right back to doing what they were doing before they went away to study for that degree, and for many of them that's McDonald's and flipping burgers. Of the 40% that do get a job after college around 3/4 of those people don't get a job in something that has anything to do with their degree. I am one of those people btw. I studied Education/Writing Communication/Anthropology/ and Japanese for 4 years (2003-2007). I am now working in accounting. I realize that the stats I have just stated may not be correct today, but they are what I was told and learned 2.5 years ago when I finished College/Uni, life experience after College/Uni has shown me that they are mostly true, and I just wanted to put it out there for consideration. Also, for the strong willed and ambitious person there are plenty of ways to make a living without going to College/Uni for a degree and many business will pay to educate a good worker if they are willing attend the classes and learn.

TL:DR: Watch the movie Animal House. It's basically College/Uni in a nut shell. Ask yourself if you want to live that and if the answer is yes then erase those doubts about school.
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By foggel

Well, I'm finishing my first semester as a university college student. Can't say I've regretted starting :) Just read regularly, and it's gonna be a blast.

If you don't like drinking, that's not a problem. People usually respect that. They're idiots if they don't :P

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ahriman22

Pros: Possibility of money in teh future (Just because you have a degree doesn't men you'll be rich)
           Partays
           Sexy time
           Knowledge!

Cons: 3 hours of sleep
             A social life? What's that?

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CandleJakk
@nrain said:
" One thing that didn't worry me though is the debt (UK) here's why, you get a loan that covers your degree and another that you get to live on, this should be enough to get by if your extremely strict with budget, but seriously no-one is. "

Sorry to single out this passage, it isn't all that sunshine, strawberries and cream in the UK. My student loan covers my tuition fees, but leaves me £600 short every year on rent, as it stands currently. Simply for the way the tax system works in the UK. Because my father is on a 'K' tax code, he get's taxed on £10,000 he doesn't earn each year, so my family is considered richer than others, so I am less needy. On the other hand, someone on my course, who is still living at home, and has rich(er) parents, gets £300 more than he needs to live.

The only gripe I have with moving to university, is a political reason. Joy.
MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MC_Izawa

bachelors degree is the new highschool diploma
if you dont have one, enjoy sitting in the basement and burdening your family with your existence

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By breadfan

With the way the world is today you basically need at least some form of college education.  There are no negatives other than the obvious issue of money, as other users have mentioned.

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Pros: You'll get lots of sex. And booze.

Cons: You'll be in college.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#25  Edited By AgentJ

hundreds of thousands of dollars more than non-degree owning people over the course of your lifetime?

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nrain
@CandleJakk:
Damn, unlucky dude my parents are over a cap for me to receive any special treatment too, but I still got a decent maintenance loan, mainly because I'm catered. I don't really feel money issues as anything I do spend is basically a luxury.
Vance_Helsing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By Vance_Helsing

Positives:
Women.
Women.
Women.
Women.
WOMEN.
Parties if you're into that thing, cool people to meet, your professors for the most part don't treat you like a baby (as they would in high school).
Oh and WOMEN.

Negatives: Expensive as hell (unless you're going to a community college), have fun staying up until 4-5am most days of the week, it's still school so good luck having fun in your classes (unless you REALLY like your subject), and contrary to popular belief, getting laid isn't as simple as just having a penis.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Radar

Pros:
You're not going to be stuck with a sweat shop job with no benefits. (Depends on the degree/major. lol art/english/religious studies)
Parties

Cons:
Buttloads of debt 
Juggling college and a job

Like @MC_Izawasaid.A college degree is a expected thing nowadays. You can survive without one but you'll be a lot better off with one.

TyphoonSwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TyphoonSwell

I'm going! Master's for me, hopefully...

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@TheStandofTheLastGuy: 

Whaaa?  If you're not interested in any profession which requires a university degree, go elsewhere.  If you are, then go, get good grades, finish asap, and start earning money and/or remain in academia (which pays well, eventually).  If you're retarded, then go to college to get "diversed" (watch the relevant P&T Bullshit episode).
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

At this point in time, not going would be career suicide. There's already strict enough competition to get jobs for people with degrees, let alone people without them.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lilburtonboy7489
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" At this point in time, not going would be career suicide. There's already strict enough competition to get jobs for people with degrees, let alone people without them. "
That's simply not true. A lot of well paying jobs go to whoever is the best worker, regardless of education. A lot of factories pay more than double minimum wage starting pay without even a high school diploma. The whole "WE HAVE TO GO TO TEH COLLEGE" mentality is largely responsible for our shitty and now overcrowded universities.  
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Geno

Benefits 

- Life experience, will teach you time management, prioritization and how to handle stress.  
- Knowledge, both practical and theoretical 
- High level job opportunities such as medicine and law

Cons 

- Expensive   
- Will take a medium to large chunk out of your life (although, at late teens/early 20's what else are you doing?)
- If you aren't the top 5-10% then you're wasting your time 

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#34  Edited By Brackynews

Be smart about the education you choose. Look for what people in that field actually earn, and go to job fairs asking questions.
I got a 2-year college diploma about five years ago, and one month's salary from the resulting jobs was equal to one year's tuition.

Now I'm back in University finishing up my Bachelor's. Main reason is to change the kind of work I do (making big decisions instead of implementing them), and start working internationally. Japan won't give you a visa anymore without a degree.  And those job opportunities will get me up to high five-figures immediately.  Master's degree later will get me six.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@KaosAngel said:
How old are you again? Every post from you this week seems like it's been written by a 12 year old.

I'm getting really tired of you really fast.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Geno

When you consider if university is right for you, you have to equally consider whether you're right for university. If you're going thinking that it's going to be like Van Wilder, don't go. If you're not a competitive type of person, don't go (that is, unless your dream job is social work or something). If you're not willing to do proper job research, don't go. Otherwise you'll just be wasting your time and money and something like what lilburtonboy suggested would be better for you. 

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@lilburtonboy7489 said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic said:
" At this point in time, not going would be career suicide. There's already strict enough competition to get jobs for people with degrees, let alone people without them. "
That's simply not true. A lot of well paying jobs go to whoever is the best worker, regardless of education. A lot of factories pay more than double minimum wage starting pay without even a high school diploma. The whole "WE HAVE TO GO TO TEH COLLEGE" mentality is largely responsible for our shitty and now overcrowded universities.   "
My bad.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RetroIce4

Pros: Better Job, Girls, Parties, Better Education
Cons: Debt, A lot of money, prob. professors.

Cadmus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cadmus

Pros: It's pretty difficult to be able to do anything or get a decent job without a degree.  You can't even do overseas work without one. 

Cons: You'll further "learn" about/how to do shit you don't care about.  You probably got enough of that in HS. 

I personally think the disadvantages outweigh the benefits. 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@Cadmus said:
" Pros: It's pretty difficult to be able to do anything or get a decent job without a degree.  You can't even do overseas work without one.  Cons: You'll further "learn" about/how to do shit you don't care about.  You probably got enough of that in HS.  I personally think the disadvantages outweigh the benefits.   "
I had that feeling when I enter a class that seems interesting but really, it's high school all over again.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

After I graduated high school I didn't go to college.  It was a mistake.  I wish I had gone to college seven years sooner because I'd be done with it now and I would have a job in a field I want to be in.  Go to college.
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NathHaw

In all seriousness, there are some major cons to going to college.  Professors sometimes indoctrinate students with nonsense way too much.  Let us remember that professors are people too...which means they aren't all that smart to begin with necessarily.  Hopefully, students will use some of the common sense they are born with, balance that with that education, and hopefully come up with ideas of reasonable incredulity ((btw, don't end sentences (or clauses) in so many prepositions)).  University often makes people stupid.

NeoUltima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NeoUltima
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @KaosAngel said:
I can assure you that this stereotype of college life is definitely not true.  
Yep, totally agree with you there...Sure there are some people like that, but for the most part no. Seems like all the people who say this are the ones who haven't been to college.
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By evanbrau

Go to college but for the love of god pick something job orientated and practicla. I originally did a degree in English and Philosophy in UCD and then spent a year (when in Ireland finding a job was pretty much the same as applying for one) being turned away from every paper or magazine around. Then I enrolled in a journalism course here which I'm still on and through work experience am swimming in opportunities in a time when half of the country is on the dole.

Go to college, have fun but don't forget what you're there for. A drop out or other non degree holder will not be getting work beyond menial minimum wage. If you have the opportunity to not end up like this take it or you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Alexander

It's only a con if you're there when you don't really want to. Some people just go to university because they figure it's the next thing to do. It's not for everyone and that's how you get people wasting years of their lives.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By crunchUK
@lilburtonboy7489 said:
" @Everyones_A_Critic said:
That's simply not true. A lot of well paying jobs go to whoever is the best worker, regardless of education. A lot of factories pay more than double minimum wage starting pay without even a high school diploma. The whole "WE HAVE TO GO TO TEH COLLEGE" mentality is largely responsible for our shitty and now overcrowded universities.   "
Yep, and a degree shows that you can work hard
tomte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By tomte

never been to college/ university.
During high school I couldn't decide what i wanted to study and also i didn't feel i wanted to get a full time job yet, so what i did was, moving to Japan :) 
Living in a foreign country gives you alot of experience and you also learn alot about yourself, it doesnt really costs so much either,  you could probably get away with 10.000 dollars for 1 year, even less if you have a part time job.
Myself, i was first going to stay for 1 year but have been here for 2 years now, gotten engaged, speaks 3 languages and have several job offers.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By septim

Granted this is a generalization but most of the jobs you can land without going to college suck. College is fun, you meet some people, you learn some stuff, and then you get a nice job.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By foggel
@KaosAngel said:
@Radar said:
" Pros:
Parties"
@danterandal19 said:
" Positives: Women. Women. Women. Women. WOMEN. Parties if you're into that thing, cool people to meet, your professors for the most part don't treat you like a baby (as they would in high school). Oh and WOMEN.  Negatives: Expensive as hell (unless you're going to a community college), have fun staying up until 4-5am most days of the week, it's still school so good luck having fun in your classes (unless you REALLY like your subject), and contrary to popular belief, getting laid isn't as simple as just having a penis. "
@CornontheCobbe said:
" Pros: You'll get lots of sex. And booze.  Cons: You'll be in college. "
@ahriman22 said:
"Partays            Sexy time"
@Scooper said:
" Plenty of girls. Also learning sometimes takes place. "
@CandleJakk said:
"Lots of great nights out. "
This thread got me wondering. There are NO parties before college? Wait, how old are college students in USA? Interesting difference in culture in any case.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ahriman22
@foggel: I live in Canadad. There's no shortage of parties for high school kids, but.... You know... High school kids.