What are your ambitions and what have you done to achieve them?

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kelbear

Real-world achievement points: Talk about the highest goal you've set for yourself in life, what's going through your mind, and what steps you've done so far in order to reach them.

I'm interested in hearing about the lengths people are going out of their comfort zone in order to reach as far as they can. The goal doesn't have to be objectively hard, just something that you honestly feel is hard for yourself. 

I'm NOT interested in rationalization for why you might have set low goals, such stories are very common since anyone can rationalize lowering the bar. I'm not trying to hate here, since I've done the same, I'm just trying to pre-empt that topic since it's such a common response that it would flood out the more unusual stories. Again, it doesn't matter how special or difficult your goal is from an objective point of view; as long as you honestly feel it's hard for you, then I want to hear your story. Even if you haven't hit that goal yet, I'm interested in hearing about your struggle as you try.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

my ambition is to deal with other humans as minimum as possible in my life 
i want an 8 hour job in an office where i do paperwork, then go straight home and get a paycheck by the end of the month to pay my bills and buy video games. 

repeat

zymase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zymase

My ambition is to be an active Giant Bomb forum participant.  I am one step closer to achieving this...  now.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

So far I accomplished some of the things I wanted to, like surviving and standing up for myself so far.
The rest is going well and will be achieved in due time...it's all about patience and will.

And a few fists here and there.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

My ambition is to make it through college and get a job as a writer. Recently I've began writing a minimum of 1,000 words a day (not including forum posts, class notes, etc.), six days a week. It can be tough, especially when I'm uninspired, but it has to get done if I ever hope to succeed in an industry built on "It's who you know" principles.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kelbear
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" My ambition is to make it through college and get a job as a writer. Recently I've began writing a minimum of 1,000 words a day (not including forum posts, class notes, etc.), six days a week. It can be tough, especially when I'm uninspired, but it has to get done if I ever hope to succeed in an industry built on "It's who you know" principles. "
Good luck bro, writing is a scary thing for a lot of people. Setting small regular intermediate goals sounds like a smart way to get there.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By crusader8463

I wanted to be in the video game industry. 

I went to college and wasted 2 years of my life and got 30k in debt with nothing to show for it when it was over because several of the teachers there, as well as the higher ups, lied to me about what courses I needed to graduate and how to go about taking them. I was going to be hired at the end of the 2nd year by Ubisoft to be one of the guys who models and textures all the throw a way objects in games, background stuff like like pop cans, barrels, litter etc., but they said they wouldn't hire me because I didn't have the diploma to say I graduated. So I never got my chance.

Since then I haven't really kept at my goal to be in the industry anymore as that experience rather soured me on the whole thing.

I guess currently my greatest ambition is to get my student loan paid off and finding a job that pays enough for me to live on my own. After that I would like to save up and go back to school for something to do with fixing computers or some other IT job that doesn't involve programming. To do that though I need work experience, and I can't do 99% of the jobs that are hiring in my area because they all involve standing for long periods of time and I have a bad back that won't let me do that. I managed to finally find a seasonal job on the 1st of this month, November 2010, but it ends next week and I have nothing lined up for after. I check several job sites and local flyers for job openings daily and send out resumes about as often, but they are mostly looking for managers with 10-15 years experience and the above mentioned.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Mass Communication major who wants to be a copy editor for a newspaper or a magazine. I'm an introvert, but part of a Mass Communication degree is interviewing people to write stories. I got an internship with a newspaper over the summer and had to interview several people in various positions. I even had to just walk up to customers outside of a laundromat to ask them what they thought of the service. It was somewhat intimidating, but I got through everything OK.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By EVO
Ambition 1 - director/cinematographer. Went to film school for 1 year, got a diploma. Worked on a community TV live morning show for a few months, decided the film industry the film industry is a bitch.

Ambition 2 - English teacher - moved to Tokyo for 3 months, didn't get a job.

Ambition 3 - Photographer - my current ambition. Bought a new DSLR the other day. Been taking lots of photos to build a portfolio in hope of getting into a school next year.

This has been oddly therapeutic. Good thread, kelbear.
Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jack268

My goal is to work with computers in some way and make a living from it. I am studying IT/science now to accomplish that. 

I haven't thought of anything else that I'd call an "ambition"

Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mikewrestler5
@EVO: 

I was thinking about diving into the realm of the film industry -- mainly as a cinematographer -- but now that you said this, it has me worried. What exactly did you not like about it? 
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kelbear
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
" my ambition is to deal with other humans as minimum as possible in my life i want an 8 hour job in an office where i do paperwork, then go straight home and get a paycheck by the end of the month to pay my bills and buy video games.  repeat "
Haha, that's the kind of dream job I used to have too! But my goals seem to have changed along the way. I have so little in common with most people that I just write people off before trying to know them.  But nowadays I think I've probably missed out on some interesting relationships by being this way though, so I'm trying to change. 

Also, I've sort of been forced to change as well. I tried pushing for back-end office jobs, and even took a career change to become accountant, but then I found that the best way to become successful in accounting is to become an auditor, and social skills are the most important quality for auditors to have. I also got fucked on the "8 hour job" thing, but 60 hours a week for 3 months a year is better than 50-60 9 months a year, so I guess it's an improvement. Hopefully in 2-3 years I can take my public audit experience into private industry in a senior position and get that cushy 8-hour job I always wanted. Even the video games part had to get set aside in the short-term so that I can have a happy wife and raise kids. (But dammit, I will at least listen to gaming podcasts while I drive even if I don't have time to play games when I get home).
Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ragdrazi

Objective 1: Destroy capitalism.
Status: Had a lot of forward progress on this goal between the years of 1999 and 2006, but in recent years, there hasn't been the kind of coalition that would allow me to make forward progress. Honestly, on something like this, it is hard to keep going on your own. I've used my writing in spotty instances, but its nothing like enough.

Objective 2: Find true love.
Status: Not going well. As I have grown to understand people better, what I've understood be my chances of finding the sort of woman I need has shrunk exponentially. Currently, I think my chances of finding the love of my life are pretty much nil. Because I don't think she exists.  Or, because the chances of someone being like me are so small, it may be that she does exist, but that chances are good she is never going to be anywhere near me ever.

Objective 3: Become a published author.
Status: Not going great, but I'm always making progress. Having escaped from clinical depression, I know my brain is permanently damaged. It makes it harder to concentrate than it should have to be. But I'm working on it. The other factor is life stability, and so far, I can't get that one (or should I say, that one refuses to make itself mine), so I've been putting this one on the back burner. 

Objective 4: Participate in a sex orgy.
Status: Sort of two levels to look at this one on. Things don't seem to be working out on a ground level, because, if anyone hasn't noticed, there are a lot of terrible women on the ground level. Fortunately, there are other options I can pursue (and no, they do not involve paying for it!), and I will pursue them as soon as I can get the stability into something like a reasonable order.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#14  Edited By recroulette

My ambition in life was to become a video game journalist.

But after I started my salary job I kinda like the fact that I control people's jobs. 
So I might continue down this business thing. But I really like writing about games.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@crusader8463 said:
" I wanted to be in the video game industry.   I went to college and wasted 2 years of my life and got 30k in debt with nothing to show for it when it was over because several of the teachers there, as well as the higher ups, lied to me about what courses I needed to graduate and how to go about taking them. I was going to be hired at the end of the 2nd year by Ubisoft to be one of the guys who models and textures all the throw a way objects in games, background stuff like like pop cans, barrels, litter etc., but they said they wouldn't hire me because I didn't have the diploma to say I graduated. So I never got my chance.   Since then I haven't really kept at my goal to be in the industry anymore as that experience rather soured me on the whole thing.   I guess currently my greatest ambition is to get my student loan paid off and finding a job that pays enough for me to live on my own. After that I would like to save up and go back to school for something to do with fixing computers or some other IT job that doesn't involve programming. To do that though I need work experience, and I can't do 99% of the jobs that are hiring in my area because they all involve standing for long periods of time and I have a bad back that won't let me do that. I managed to finally find a seasonal job on the 1st of this month, November 2010, but it ends next week and I have nothing lined up for after. I check several job sites and local flyers for job openings daily and send out resumes about as often, but they are mostly looking for managers with 10-15 years experience and the above mentioned. "
reading that really... saddened me 
im sorry you went through such a bad experience, man.. life fucking sucks
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kelbear
@crusader8463 said:
" I wanted to be in the video game industry.   I went to college and wasted 2 years of my life and got 30k in debt with nothing to show for it when it was over because several of the teachers there, as well as the higher ups, lied to me about what courses I needed to graduate and how to go about taking them. I was going to be hired at the end of the 2nd year by Ubisoft to be one of the guys who models and textures all the throw a way objects in games, background stuff like like pop cans, barrels, litter etc., but they said they wouldn't hire me because I didn't have the diploma to say I graduated. So I never got my chance.   Since then I haven't really kept at my goal to be in the industry anymore as that experience rather soured me on the whole thing.   I guess currently my greatest ambition is to get my student loan paid off and finding a job that pays enough for me to live on my own. After that I would like to save up and go back to school for something to do with fixing computers or some other IT job that doesn't involve programming. To do that though I need work experience, and I can't do 99% of the jobs that are hiring in my area because they all involve standing for long periods of time and I have a bad back that won't let me do that. I managed to finally find a seasonal job on the 1st of this month, November 2010, but it ends next week and I have nothing lined up for after. I check several job sites and local flyers for job openings daily and send out resumes about as often, but they are mostly looking for managers with 10-15 years experience and the above mentioned. "
Yeah, it's damn hard to get foothold jobs in today's economy. But keep your hopes up bro, even if you get turned down for 20 jobs, all you need is to land one. 
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheFreeMan

Outside of finishing my university stuff and then moving out of this dumb little town, I really don't have much in the way of ambitions. In a way, that's sort of really depressing but in another just sort of winging everything is nice.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By benpack

I too want to be a writer. I have been studying and will continue to study Journalism, but I still don't know what I want to write about. I've done reivews of movies, video games, music, op/ed columns ranging from topics about politics to Sesame Street to the Slap Chop, features about students, teachers, and bands. Early this year I won a couple of awards from this journalism association, so even thought I am hyper self-critical, I know I'm a good writer. I've got two more years of school to figure it out.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By crusader8463
@Ahmad_Metallic:@kelbear:  Indeed. Something always finds a way to work itself out in the end it seems though. Usually. lol

@TheFreeMan said:
" Outside of finishing my university stuff and then moving out of this dumb little town, I really don't have much in the way of ambitions. In a way, that's sort of really depressing but in another just sort of winging everything is nice. "

Some would call it freeing really. Being able to live each day for it's own unique enjoyment and nothing more.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@crusader8463 said:

You have truly made me anxious now, for I too have a goal to become apart of the game industry. I plan on going to a community college and then a university to create a game I've envisioned for almost a decade; but if I suffer such future as yours, then I truly consider our world to be a useless, dieing farce that is worth all the pessimism in the heart of every man, woman, and intelligent child.

I'm very sorry for you, man. My Mother, lacking a degree and only educated high school, cannot find a job for the life of herself. Everyday I fear of homelessness, an economic depression, the dropping of schools, and our government faltering. The previous depression was amended because of World War 2. If we obtain a depression now, there will be no amendment -- only destruction.
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kelbear
@ViciousAnchovy said:
" I'm a Mass Communication major who wants to be a copy editor for a newspaper or a magazine. I'm an introvert, but part of a Mass Communication degree is interviewing people to write stories. I got an internship with a newspaper over the summer and had to interview several people in various positions. I even had to just walk up to customers outside of a laundromat to ask them what they thought of the service. It was somewhat intimidating, but I got through everything OK. "
That's pretty cool. A friend of mine who went into journalism had do interviews with random people for his class. He had to ask some really tough and personal questions about my private life, which was a little awkward for me since I'm an introvert too. But I was impressed because as scary as that was for me, it had to be way worse for him to be asking those questions. 

What were you expecting when you went up to those people, what was going through your mind? Do you find that you're over the hump of interviewing strangers now? Or is it still as hard now as it was before?
Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my ambition is to win, I do nothing to achieve it though.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kelbear
@EVO said:
" Ambition 1 - director/cinematographer. Went to film school for 1 year, got a diploma. Worked on a community TV live morning show for a few months, decided the film industry the film industry is a bitch.

Ambition 3 - Photographer - my current ambition. Bought a new DSLR the other day. Been taking lots of photos to build a portfolio in hope of getting into a school next year.  This has been oddly therapeutic. Good thread, kelbear. "
That's really damned impressive! Those are all bold goals and you just went right in there taking bold steps to reach them!  

Did you ever feel any doubts about whether you could reach your goals while you still wanted them? How'd you talk yourself into chasing them anyway? 
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EVO
@Mikewrestler5 said:
" @EVO:   I was thinking about diving into the realm of the film industry -- mainly as a cinematographer -- but now that you said this, it has me worried. What exactly did you not like about it?  "
I could go into great detail about the film industry, but I'll just leave it at this: making a film is a collaborative effort that requires good communication between everyone from the writer to the director to the producer to the cinematographer to the actors to the editor etc., all with their own vision of what the film should be. It takes a reasonable knowledge of the medium, careful planning and is expensive.

On the other hand, you could get a photograph on the cover of Time magazine that took 1/1000th of a second.
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kelbear
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
" @crusader8463 said:
You have truly made me anxious now, for I too have a goal to become apart of the game industry. I plan on going to a community college and then a university to create a game I've envisioned for almost a decade; but if I suffer such future as yours, then I truly consider our world to be a useless, dieing farce that is worth all the pessimism in the heart of every man, woman, and intelligent child. "
I heard somewhere that most people will go through 3 or so major career changes in their life where they'll have to start from the beginning, and almost all of them didn't expect to have to ever make such big leaps. I think that even if you don't get into the career you've hoped for, at least completing your education will allow you to find one somewhere. Things have a way of working out in the long term, and people find happiness in places they didn't expect.
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kelbear
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
" So far I accomplished some of the things I wanted to, like surviving and standing up for myself so far. The rest is going well and will be achieved in due time...it's all about patience and will.  And a few fists here and there. "
That's cool, if you don't mind my asking, can you tell me about some of the specific situations you had to stand up for yourself in a tough situation? What sort of things went through your mind right before, and during, the heat of the moment?
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kelbear said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

" @crusader8463 said:
You have truly made me anxious now, for I too have a goal to become apart of the game industry. I plan on going to a community college and then a university to create a game I've envisioned for almost a decade; but if I suffer such future as yours, then I truly consider our world to be a useless, dieing farce that is worth all the pessimism in the heart of every man, woman, and intelligent child. "
I heard somewhere that most people will go through 3 or so major career changes in their life where they'll have to start from the beginning, and almost all of them didn't expect to have to ever make such big leaps. I think that even if you don't get into the career you've hoped for, at least completing your education will allow you to find one somewhere. Things have a way of working out in the long term, and people find happiness in places they didn't expect. "
True, but one man's mind infested with chimeras, wondrous and in need of escape, must be stamped upon the screens of TVs or paper sheets, for art is the mouth of imagination.

I will go insane if I do not create this game I have planned. I have nothing else on my mind; not of a false culturally forced concept called "love" where people fight and divorce each other; not of sitting and paying like a man with out purpose and a waste of resources; not of birth giving and dynasty creating where that "dynasty" will ruin your chances of freedom and breathe. I want to learn and forge games.
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EVO
@kelbear said:
" @EVO said:
" Ambition 1 - director/cinematographer. Went to film school for 1 year, got a diploma. Worked on a community TV live morning show for a few months, decided the film industry the film industry is a bitch.

Ambition 3 - Photographer - my current ambition. Bought a new DSLR the other day. Been taking lots of photos to build a portfolio in hope of getting into a school next year.  This has been oddly therapeutic. Good thread, kelbear. "
That's really damned impressive! Those are all bold goals and you just went right in there taking bold steps to reach them!   Did you ever feel any doubts about whether you could reach your goals while you still wanted them? How'd you talk yourself into chasing them anyway?  "
I guess the only one I really chased was the English teaching, but it was kind of an escape of sorts from the shit I'd gotten myself into. I had huge doubts before going over there, living on my own, not knowing a word of Japanese and no experience teaching other than some 3 day shotgun teaching school. But I still did it somehow and although I never got a job it was an amazing experience and I even made some friends along the way.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Current ambition is to get a short story published, to achieve this I've been writing short stories and submitting them to magazines.

Mrskidders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Mrskidders

I always wanted to open my own bistro after finishing my masters so I worked incredibly hard for 4 years straight with very little me time and brought the premises, with the help of a small business loan.  Been going for 2 years now and everything is great, I have a great manager in place and im training a Head Chef to replace me in two weeks time.  Achieved to the max.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EVO
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
" I will go insane if I do not create this game I have planned. I have nothing else on my mind; not of a false culturally forced concept called "love" where people fight and divorce each other; not of sitting and paying like a man with out purpose and a waste of resources; not of birth giving and dynasty creating where that "dynasty" will ruin your chances of freedom and breathe. I want to learn and forge games. "
That's a fucking noble paragraph right there. I pictured you delivering this upon a hilltop raising a sword.
Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bobdaman18

I'm 22 and about to graduate with a BS in Biology.  Originally i was going to go into a healthcare field but those plans didn't work out.  I tried being an EMT to get the healthcare experience required to apply but i found out i hate it.  

Now my only real ambition is to be able to support myself.  I'm tired of being a leech to my support system, i want to get any job and move out.  I've been applying to a bunch of gov't positions because those seem to have alot of potential for growth.  Maybe i'll go back to school to get a better degree?  I don't really know, whatever lets me become self sufficient as soon as possible. 

Also, thanks for making the thread, it feels good to get that stuff out.

CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By CharkeeFarlee
  1. Become a red head, Check.
  2. Become independent, Check.
  3. Get tattooed, Check.
  4. Become comfortable with myself, Check.
  5. Not give a fuck what everyone else thinks, Check.
  6. Become a woman, Check.
  7. Pass college with flying colours, Check.
  8. Get a job i enjoy, and can keep, Check.
  9. Get on an foundation course, Check.  
  10. Keep my best friend from college when he moves 50 miles away, Check.
  11. Keep my boyfriend when he moves 50 miles away whilst at uni, Check.
  12. Not become a massive waste of space, Check.
  13. Realise how good i've got it, Check.
  14. Begin to love life, Check.
     - Shit i've aspired, and done in the last 3 years. 

I'm hoping to go to university and do a Game Art course which i have my heart set on. Currently doing a foundation course in Art and design in a town i hate with a passion just to get on it. Hopefully this will lead me into getting a job in the game industry itself. The course itself is a lot of fuckin' work and having no friends in this town, and not making any on my course because i'm the only game design freak in the village makes it even harder. I enjoy my job, ripping tickets and selling pick 'n' mix 2 nights a week and the rest of the time i'm usually in Nottingham, or Staffordshire (which i've only been once in the past 2 months unfortunately,). 
But my biggest ambition is just to be happy. Call me soppy but, fuck you. I don't piss on your dreams. If you have dreams i hope that they come true and all that jazz. And no i don't expect anyone to really care about anything i just typed about, unless they're gonna troll about tattoos or the female thing but I just like typing on my laptop. Peace out!
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kelbear
@Tru3_Blu3 said:
" @kelbear said:

" @Tru3_Blu3 said:

" @crusader8463 said:
I heard somewhere that most people will go through 3 or so major career changes in their life where they'll have to start from the beginning, and almost all of them didn't expect to have to ever make such big leaps. I think that even if you don't get into the career you've hoped for, at least completing your education will allow you to find one somewhere. Things have a way of working out in the long term, and people find happiness in places they didn't expect. "
True, but one man's mind infested with chimeras, wondrous and in need of escape, must be stamped upon the screens of TVs or paper sheets, for art is the mouth of imagination.  I will go insane if I do not create this game I have planned. I have nothing else on my mind; not of a false culturally forced concept called "love" where people fight and divorce each other; not of sitting and paying like a man with out purpose and a waste of resources; not of birth giving and dynasty creating where that "dynasty" will ruin your chances of freedom and breathe. I want to learn and forge games. "
How poetic! I just want to suggest keeping an open mind to what might seem to be "distractions" along the way. Life is full of great things in the shape of deceptively common occurences. Art is a grand and worthy ambition, but I feel that in addition to the significance of art as the perfection of a craft, it has lasting impact as a landmark of the human condition of it's day. Even apparently shallow productions like Cyndi Lauper, Rocky , 24, or Ke$ha serve as a sign of the times and provide context for what would otherwise be a dry and lifeless history of events. In order to capture that human experience, an artist would need to live amongst humanity and share in all its ups and downs.  

For example, one of the major contemporary themes in our post-9/11 society is cynicism and a loss of innocence. Even when mistrust of the government was at it's peak following the Nixon administration, you still had shows like Star Trek that championed Futurism and the belief that despite humanity numerous flaws, we would one day learn to overcome them on a daily basis, and achieve great things. Heroes in films, books, and comics who were larger than life idealistic caricatures. These days we aim for "realism" but land in "cynicism" as the nasty and brutish parts of our society are featured on the Jersey Shore, Battlestar Galactica, and 24. Even though we might spurn them now, they'll always be part of the state of western society in the 2001-2010 era. In time, this will pass, and creative minds will remind the world of the good things in everyday life, what we've lost along the way, and what we can still have. 
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@kelbear said:
" @TaliciaDragonsong said:
" So far I accomplished some of the things I wanted to, like surviving and standing up for myself so far. The rest is going well and will be achieved in due time...it's all about patience and will.  And a few fists here and there. "
That's cool, if you don't mind my asking, can you tell me about some of the specific situations you had to stand up for yourself in a tough situation? What sort of things went through your mind right before, and during, the heat of the moment? "
Lets just say my childhood could have been better, a lot of things went wrong on all of my schools and it took a lot of willpower to keep at it and accomplish things.
My current goal is keeping a stable life and get settled soonish, the past is the past.
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kelbear
@CharkeeFarlee said:
"
  1. Become a red head, Check.
  2. Become independent, Check.
  3. Get tattooed, Check.
  4. Become comfortable with myself, Check.
  5. Not give a fuck what everyone else thinks, Check.
  6. Become a woman, Check.
  7. Pass college with flying colours, Check.
  8. Get a job i enjoy, and can keep, Check.
  9. Get on an foundation course, Check.  
  10. Keep my best friend from college when he moves 50 miles away, Check.
  11. Keep my boyfriend when he moves 50 miles away whilst at uni, Check.
  12. Not become a massive waste of space, Check.
  13. Realise how good i've got it, Check.
  14. Begin to love life, Check.
     - Shit i've aspired, and done in the last 3 years. 
I'm hoping to go to university and do a Game Art course which i have my heart set on. Currently doing a foundation course in Art and design in a town i hate with a passion just to get on it. Hopefully this will lead me into getting a job in the game industry itself. The course itself is a lot of fuckin' work and having no friends in this town, and not making any on my course because i'm the only game design freak in the village makes it even harder. I enjoy my job, ripping tickets and selling pick 'n' mix 2 nights a week and the rest of the time i'm usually in Nottingham, or Staffordshire (which i've only been once in the past 2 months unfortunately,).  But my biggest ambition is just to be happy. Call me soppy but, fuck you. I don't piss on your dreams. If you have dreams i hope that they come true and all that jazz. And no i don't expect anyone to really care about anything i just typed about, unless they're gonna troll about tattoos or the female thing but I just like typing on my laptop. Peace out! "
Wow you've hit a lot of big goals in life along the way. Which one do you feel was the hardest for you and what did you have to do to get yourself through the rough patches involved in it? (Also, what's pick 'n' mix?)
CharkeeFarlee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By CharkeeFarlee
@kelbear:  Probably becoming comfortable with myself. Having a lot of self esteem issues over the year, to over come by yourself i found hard but by mostly dealing with them in the most brutal way and being confident enough to see that i don't have to change to be either loved or confident in myself. Sure i'll have low spots. But they don't usually last very long. It also helps that i'm independent, i feel, i know at the end of the day i can rely on myself if everyone runs out on me. I don't keep everyone at an arms length, i let people in don't get me wrong. But i'm still an independent woman. I want people, i don't need people.  

Haha pick 'n' mix is as follows. If you have not seen the wonders of pick 'n' mix, you should!

Pick 'n' mix is a common method used to sell various small items. It is most often used to sell confectionery, whereby small sweets are displayed in tubs or bins. Customers are able to select any combination of items, and using a small shovel or tongs, put them into a container provided, hence the term 'pick and mix'.

Also, what about you? You've heard many-a-people's stories but we haven't heard yours yet :)
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Famov

My aspirations are fairly mundane: Get my degree (almost done), get a *good* job, and move out of the house. Meeting someone/getting married/starting a family are nice ideas but I gotta take things one step at a time. 

Once I become a fully self sufficient adult, I'll be content with myself. While I realize that many early twenty-somethings are still at home nowadays, I cannot help but feel like waste of time as long I'm living on my parent's money. That's what needs to change in my life.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I want to change the world, and what im going to do, no idea yet 
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kelbear
@CharkeeFarlee said:
" @kelbear:  Probably becoming comfortable with myself. Having a lot of self esteem issues over the year, to over come by yourself i found hard but by mostly dealing with them in the most brutal way and being confident enough to see that i don't have to change to be either loved or confident in myself. Sure i'll have low spots. But they don't usually last very long. It also helps that i'm independent, i feel, i know at the end of the day i can rely on myself if everyone runs out on me. I don't keep everyone at an arms length, i let people in don't get me wrong. But i'm still an independent woman. I want people, i don't need people.  

Haha pick 'n' mix is as follows. If you have not seen the wonders of pick 'n' mix, you should!

Pick 'n' mix is a common method used to sell various small items. It is most often used to sell confectionery, whereby small sweets are displayed in tubs or bins. Customers are able to select any combination of items, and using a small shovel or tongs, put them into a container provided, hence the term 'pick and mix'.

Also, what about you? You've heard many-a-people's stories but we haven't heard yours yet :) "
That's awesome! Self-esteem is still something I struggle with personally. My wife seems to burst with natural self-esteem and confidence (I need her way more than she needs me). I think that I'm still coming into my own, part of the arrested development that is common among young adults today. I'm 26, but I still feel like a kid in disguise as an adult. My wife is 33, and is a rock of sensibility and responsibility, so it throws my relative immaturity into stark relief. I don't know why I haven't gotten a handle of adulthood just yet because from an objective point of view I achieve much of what I set out to do, but it seems that achievement alone has not built character. 

I've had a very cushy life with 2 middle-class parents that loved each other. I went to a decent school, got a crappy job, then landed a pretty good job as global bid coordinator at an international freight corp. I didn't like the growth prospects from there so I took a leap in 2009 and went back to school for a 14 month accelerated mba program in accounting. Got married last winter, bought a house in may, graduated in august, and just started a new job as a financial auditor at an accounting firm a few weeks ago. I think my dissatisfaction stems from the fact that I don't feel i'm working as hard as others around me. I got good scores with moderate effort, but I see others with good and even great scores because they are such tough and gritty characters that they can bulldog their way to success. I'm embarrassed by my lack of focus and so far I've been able to keep up with my peers, but I have a fear that sooner or later I'll be faced with a real challenge and my shortcomings will be exposed by my failure. I'm tackling the CPA exams right now, leaving home at 8am, getting home at 8pm, screwing around for 2-3 hours, and only getting 1 real hour of study a night (and the CPA exams require 20-30 hours of study a week to pass!). About 40% of the other new hires have already passed all 4 parts since they've had several months between graduation and their start date to study. I haven't taken a single part yet since I've only had a few weeks since graduation in august.  

These exams seem to be the challenge I've been waiting for, and so far I haven't really stepped up to the plate in any way besides giving up gaming. I've been kind of "waiting" for myself to suddenly start studying hard, but it won't happen by itself, I'll have to make it happen. 
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#41  Edited By Claude

I'm not one to speak of ambitions. But if I had a say, I guess, be a good husband, support my wife and be a good caregiver to her in times of need.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By eroticfishcake
  1. Get a girlfriend
  2. Because I need to convince everyone that I'm not gay.

The latter especially. Not that I have any problems with gay people at all but I'm just sick of everyone making assumptions that I'm gay. Their justification? Because I dress nice. How irratating is that?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By jakob187

My ambitions thus far: 

1. Visit the Cathedral of Notre Dame before I die.
  2. Microwave aluminum foil and laugh at the results.
  3. Fuck a redhead on the hood of a car.
  4. Become either a father or an uncle.
  5. Die before I turn 50.

So far, I've had three of those five happen.  Seems like I'm right on track.
kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kelbear
@smekke said:
" My life is kind of lacking in the ambition department. I have recently finished high school, where I studied music. And right now I'm studying math, biology, physics and chemistry. I'm basically shooting in the dark, hoping to hit something that really interests me.  I think some of this indecision may come from my parents being fairly highly educated, which in effect is pressuring me to get a "good" education myself (even though my parents are pretty cool about me doing what I want to do).      I kind of want to pursue a music career, but I don't have the guts to really go for it.  So there, now you know my uninspiring story. "
I think everyone shares the same sort of aimlessness at that stage in life. It's a bit silly to ask 19-21yr olds to choose what they want to do for their career, because there is no possible way they could know what that career path is like until they're already in it. I started with computer science, lost 2 years, graduated with econ and loved it but couldn't get a job related to my major, had to go back to school for an MBA in accounting, and now I think I'm going to like working in accounting. But it took a long time to finally find out what I wanted to do, and the only way to get there was to make "mistakes" along the way. And you know what? The earlier "mistakes" of doing comp. sci. and economics first led me to a crappy job at first, but I met my wife-to-be there. So while there was no way I could have known it at the time, those majors weren't a waste of my time, and were in fact important parts of my life that led me to a happy future.  

Good luck picking a direction for your study. Perhaps if you apply yourself rigorously enough, you might find your passion in the challenge? Keep practicing that music too, because even if you won't be making a living off of it, you can still obtain great self-fulfillment through music that many people sadly will never be able to experience.