• 184 results
Artof_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Artof_War

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Will make 39 this year.

How about you?

EDIT: Just finished 40! Don't think I can make it to 50 next year, 1/week is a little much.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By gaminghooligan

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk and Hells Angels by Hunter S Thompson (I like to trade off)

I'm reading around thirty to forty a year now thanks to my Kindle.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By skrutop

I just finished John Dies at the End by David Wong. It was funny, but not what I expected at all. It reads more like a horror novel with funny bits. Overall, I liked it, and I'll probably pick up the followup, This Book Is Full of Spiders at some point.

I picked up Anathem by Neal Stephenson, but I haven't started it yet.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bell_End

just started reading Stephen Kings skeleton crew and halfway through the mist. great so far.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By RVonE

I'm currently moving through Martin Heidegger's Die Frage nach der Technik and am also finishing up George Orwell's essay collection All Art is Propaganda.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#6  Edited By bibamatt

I'm listening to the audiobook of Dune during my commute to work. Hope that counts!

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dichemstys

Behind the Paint by Violent J of the Insane Clown Posse.

amp_1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By amp_1986

A Storm of Swords

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By kraznor

Cloud Atlas. Really liked the movie so wanted to see how the two differ.

Unmada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Unmada

The Manual of Bean Curd Boxing by Paul Read.

Artof_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Artof_War

@gaminghooligan said:

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk and Hells Angels by Hunter S Thompson (I like to trade off)

I'm reading around thirty to forty a year now thanks to my Kindle.

How do you like the Kindle? I value having the book in my hands and the satisfaction of turning the last page. Plus I like to support my local library, though they offer e-book rentals. I also don't travel much and have an iPad.

Give me a hard sell!

Artof_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Artof_War

@bibamatt said:

I'm listening to the audiobook of Dune during my commute to work. Hope that counts!

Never tried an audiobook. I only have a 10-15 minute commute to work, though an audiobook would probably be better than our awful sportstalk radio and horrible selection of radio stations. I usually listen to my cds. I also have Dune on my to-read!

Artof_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Artof_War

@amp_1986 said:

A Storm of Swords

I plan to dive into this series eventually. Have you read Patrick Rothfuss' first two books in his trilogy: The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear? Really good imo.

phuzzybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phuzzybunny

Lord of the Rings.

I was just going to read The Hobbit then move on to Trust Me I'm Lying but you have to read Lord of the Rings after The Hobbit (at least I do).

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By notdavid

I'm getting ready to dig into The Wheel of Time. Every time I rewatch the LotR movies, I get the urge to read the books. I never make it through The Hobbit because I always end up disappointed by the difference in tone, so this time I decided to try out a fantasy series that I have no preconceptions or expectations of.

I don't think I really got into a novel since I read Battle Royale a few years ago, though.

Colt45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Colt45

Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar

It's like a choose-your-own-adventure for Lit. nerds.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Kyreo

Rereading the second Republic Commando book.

Avatar image for brewmaster_andy
Brewmaster_Andy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Brewmaster_Andy

I don't read nearly as much as I used to, but right now it is A Wanted Man by Lee Child.

I'm considering a Kindle, but I love having a stocked bookshelf. If I could spend an extra few bucks when I buy a hardcover and also get a digital copy, like a lot of record labels do when you buy vinyl, that would be amazing.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Aegon

When I have time, An Autum War, book 3 of the Long Price Quartet.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By bibamatt

@Artof_War said:

@bibamatt said:

Never tried an audiobook. I only have a 10-15 minute commute to work, though an audiobook would probably be better than our awful sportstalk radio and horrible selection of radio stations. I usually listen to my cds. I also have Dune on my to-read!

Unfortunately, I have three hours of commute each day (1 and a half each way!) so I've got plennnnty of time for podcasts/audiobooks/music each day. Wish I had a three-hour Bombcast seven days a week... GOTY time is the best for me! :D

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By subject2change

I read about a Dozen or so books a year now, I never really read as a kid and only started doing it now on my commute thanks to a kindle and a back log of some books I bought that were recommended to me.

A Song of Fire and Ice: Book 1, about 700 pages into it should finish it this weekend or early. Planning to read Harry Potter Book 1 after that due to a Trivia tournament that is coming up with a free trip to Orlando to visit the theme park that shall not be named :D

After that will probably be book 2 of Song of Fire and Ice with plans to finish book 3 before the 3rd season of the show starts.

Cowmeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cowmeat

Death Masks

superkebabi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By superkebabi

Currently partway through The Postman Always Rings Twice by James Cain, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick, and F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I've started to read The Lord of The Rings trilogy, I finished The Hobbit a few weeks back.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#26  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Right now I am in the middle of Perdido Street Station. Mr. China Miéville is one fucked up guy. Love it.

Last one I read was Cloud Atlas. Really great book. And I got a pile of books I should get through as fast as possible. Working in a bookstore is no joke.

Artof_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Artof_War

@Subject2Change said:

I read about a Dozen or so books a year now, I never really read as a kid and only started doing it now on my commute thanks to a kindle and a back log of some books I bought that were recommended to me.

A Song of Fire and Ice: Book 1, about 700 pages into it should finish it this weekend or early. Planning to read Harry Potter Book 1 after that due to a Trivia tournament that is coming up with a free trip to Orlando to visit the theme park that shall not be named :D

After that will probably be book 2 of Song of Fire and Ice with plans to finish book 3 before the 3rd season of the show starts.

I suggest joining GoodReads. When I joined I read at most 5 per year. Last year I read 30, this year will be 40. Feeds the addiction with their Netflix style recommendation system.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Is it that time of the month where someone posts another thread about books? I guess I better talk about Cormac McCarthy some more. I'm reading All the Pretty Horses and thinking about restarting House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaLe

Genocidal Organ by Keikaku Itoh. It's kinda losing me though. There are too many stilted conversations making it hard to get into. Feels like the author is trying to get a point across rather than tell a good story. Atlas Shrugged had this problem, especially towards the end.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ltsmash

@Artof_War said:

@Subject2Change said:

I suggest joining GoodReads. When I joined I read at most 5 per year. Last year I read 30, this year will be 40. Feeds the addiction with their Netflix style recommendation system.

I'll second GoodReads. I used to use a spreadsheet to keep track of my reading, but the GoodReads apps make things so much easier.

Currently reading: Six Months in 1945: FDR, Stalin, Churchill, and Truman--from World War to Cold War by Michael Dobbs.

Artof_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Artof_War

@ShadowConqueror said:

Is it that time of the month where someone posts another thread about books? I guess I better talk about Cormac McCarthy some more. I'm reading All the Pretty Horses and thinking about restarting House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski.

Never posted in the forms until today, so I'm not privy to tradition. But I'm glad I could make the obligatory monthly book topic.

JacobG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JacobG

Just started Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kermoosh

i've mostly been reading or rereading graphic novels (comics) such as v for vendetta, green lantern, batman, ect.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By Sergio

I'm currently on the last couple of chapters of Dodger by Terry Pratchett.

I also use Goodreads.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By subject2change

@Artof_War said:

@Subject2Change said:

Awesome. Thanks. I'll take a look into it. I find my taste in books is similar to that of comic books, mostly Horror related or I guess Dark/Gory Sci-Fi so it's always been hard for me to find good reading material.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knuckle Supper by Drew Stepek. It's OK.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SomeJerk

Are you a nerd? Are you not entirely opposed to stories that come from Japan? Would you like to blow your mind and enjoy many sweet moments?

My last book was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Girls , I just re-read it just for the maths lessons. Maybe that's why I've been suffering from these sick ass migraines lately.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sergio

@SomeJerk said:

Are you a nerd? Are you not entirely opposed to stories that come from Japan? Would you like to blow your mind and enjoy many sweet moments?

My last book was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_Girls , I just re-read it just for the maths lessons. Maybe that's why I've been suffering from these sick ass migraines lately.

I actually have a copy of that in my queue.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ltsmash

@JacobG said:

Just started Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer.

Just finished that a couple of weeks ago. One of the few non-fiction books that put me on the edge of my seat.

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Vonocourt

'Bout an eight of the way through A Feast of Crows, fourth in A Song of Ice and Fire series. I've heard it's the worse so far, but at the moment it doesn't seem that bad.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 49th

Gulliver's Travels

JacobG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JacobG

@LTSmash: Glad to hear that! Into the Wild is one of my favorite books so I figured I'd check out Krakauer's other stuff, and so far I'm really liking Into Thin Air.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FancySoapsMan

When Affirmative Action was White.

it's a book I need to read for my social policy class. need to do it by Monday too ;3

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShadowConqueror

@Artof_War said:

@ShadowConqueror said:

Never posted in the forms until today, so I'm not privy to tradition. But I'm glad I could make the obligatory monthly book topic.

Isupposethereareworsetopicstohaveeverymonth. Iunderstandyouhaven'tbeenaroundlong, whichisfine, buttothecommunityasawhole, wecanprobablygivebooktopicsabreak.

JacobG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JacobG

@Vonocourt: It's my least favorite of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but I still really enjoyed it. My biggest problem was that a majority of the characters who I wanted to read about, like Arya, Tyrion, Jon and Bran, were left for A Dance With Dragons, so I basically wanted to get through it as quickly as possible so that I could get to ADWD. The Jaime, Brienne and Samwell chapters were really the highlights for me.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46  Edited By granderojo

As a Pinball aficionado and a fan of Murakami, I figured I would pick up his "Pinball, 1973" which was his second novel. Its incredibly rare and super expensive, but I was able to find a ebook of it.

Surprisingly he talks about more pinball than I thought he would.

T00L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By T00L

Re-reading the Silmarillion to prepare for The Hobbit. Doesn't get any easier, even after the 4th time, but it's still a great story.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sergio

@JacobG said:

@Vonocourt: It's my least favorite of the Song of Ice and Fire series, but I still really enjoyed it. My biggest problem was that a majority of the characters who I wanted to read about, like Arya, Tyrion, Jon and Bran, were left for A Dance With Dragons, so I basically wanted to get through it as quickly as possible so that I could get to ADWD. The Jaime, Brienne and Samwell chapters were really the highlights for me.

And after reading Dance with Dragons, I was still waiting to read about Arya. It was my least favorite of the series. Introducing PoV characters I don't care about, and then one of them was pretty much pointless.

DrIntrovert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DrIntrovert

Just finished Cold Days, the most recent novel of the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher. Pretty much anything I could say about that book would be a spoiler (it just came out 11/30) but the series is the quintessential urban fantasy series, a great combination of noir detective fiction and magic. I'm about to start reading Glasshouse by Charles Stross, never read anything by him but it was highly recommended, so we'll see.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Alamut by Vladimir Bertoli

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted."