What did you think of the Christopher Nolan's Batman film? Aka Batman Begins and Dark Knight

• 78 results
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gamefreak9
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gamefreak9

With the new one coming out i just want to get some opinions out there, there seems to be a lot of hate from people! I mean i thought the movies were amazing, most(not all) of the people who hate it probably just had it overhyped and like to be contrarians because its fun to watch and technically great(with the possible exception of the camera work). With the Dark Knight Rises coming along i thought i should get another consolidated opinion of people, maybe it deteriorated with time for some... i watched it the other day and it was just as enjoyable as the first, i can probably remember every line a few 10 seconds before its told.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I love them both, but I feel TDK was often a muddled mess that could have done with better pacing (it felt too hodge-podge at times) and a little more editing. Having seen them both a number of times, I think Batman Begins is better. It had a tighter narrative, moved along at a brisk pace, and generally felt more cohesive. Not to mention that (astoundingly) I preferred Katie Holmes to Maggie Gylenhall (sp). 

Still, easily one of my favourite film series at this point, and I'm ridiculously excited about The Dark Knight Rises.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DAFTPUNK

It was brilliant

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

Batman Begins is alright. I never really liked Rah's Al Ghul so much anyway. The Dark Knight is an amazing film, though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

I liked the first one, though found the pacing to be a little too much in Dark Knight. I loved the opening scene with the robbery, and how incredibly unpredictable it was. It's great sense of style and speed kinda went on for a little too long.. like, for the whole movie. Plus Bale's Death-Metal Batman voice still doesn't jive with me, and maybe it was like the biggest part of his performance that was praised or something in Begins, but he for whatever reason really hammered down the gravel in Dark Knight. 

My favourite Batman movie from the lot is still easily Tim Burtons original 1989 release, so admittedly I have a slight fanboyism towards Nicholson's Joker as well...

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sameeeeam

I like them both a great deal. The action scenes can be a little iffy, though.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By craigbo180

I preferred the Dark Knight. The first time I watched Dark Knight I got caught up in it and thought it was one of the best movies ever, it's not quite as good on repeat viewings.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By Soap

Both brilliant films, easily the best 2 comic based films ever made.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

I like them both, but I think Batman Begins is way better. I thought The Dark Knight was just above average.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By ez123
Dark Knight is okay, some of it was entertaining. The Joker was a bad guy with makeup who licked his lips a lot, nothing really interesting with that character. Batman Begins was an E, it put my ass to sleep.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By NTM

The Dark Knight is the best super hero movie ever made, but Begins was boring all four times I saw it. Yeah, I saw the quality of it, but it was still boring. The Dark Knight is really good the first... five times you see it, then it gets gradually worse, but not much. The awkward thing is the Bale's Batman voice gets less annoying, and I don't mind it as much. The Dark Knight gets the A, but if it was possible, Begins get the middle of D and E.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By time allen

begins was good, but dark knight was incredible. nolan really picked it up on the second one.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Both movies are great, but the Dark Night doesn't deserve the recognition that it gets.
@Redbullet685 said:

Batman Begins is alright. I never really liked Rah's Al Ghul so much anyway. The Dark Knight is an amazing film, though.

Sir, you dare offend the man, nay, God who trained Batman, you dare offend the badass Jedi, the ex CIA operative that killed a bunch of Albanians in France....How dare you?!?!?!
valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By valrog

Loved them both.

Finalwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Finalwish

Both movies were good, only down side was the fact that Two Face had 20 mins of screen time as his uber bad self.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Marz

The first movie was alright, the Dark Knight was actually well done. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, for some reason, did not enjoy The Dark Knight at all. I don't understand all the high ratings and adoration that the movie garners. Yes, it's paced well, but since 95% of the characters are bland, soulless and boring handsome suits, I failed to find concern for the story that was told.  I didn't give two shits about what these people were doing or even talking about, including Batman. All the typical super hero humor was husk and conversation-killing, excluding, of course, all of  the Joker's cynical doings-- all top notch might I add. The only time I carried concern for Harvey Dent was when he became Two Face and that's because, well, he's Two Face; he's angry, intimidating and vengeful--but all reasonably and logically, making you root for the man as he kills those he judges as corrupted.

I enjoy Batman Begins because it made the origins of Batman more poetic than originally; it felt real and organic instead of cartoony and unbelievable. Bruce was portrayed as human and flawed, and thus you cared for him more than his robotic counterpart in TDK.

Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Balex1908

I liked the first one, but I think it is a little overrated. Dark Knight is amazing one of my favourite movies of all time..., there I said it.

I am worried about the third one, the expectations have already gone out of control. It has to be the movie of the decade or people will call it a dissapointment.

cheesebob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cheesebob

I love both films and I agree with peopel when they say The Dark Knight is one of the best (possibly even the best) comic book film of all time.

I am expecting something balls out insane for the 3rd and final Nolan Batman film. Its gonna make millions regardless of quality and I expect Nolan ramp up the craziness to amazing levels because...well why the fuck not?

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Quipido

I liked the first one, but the second one never clicked for me and I consider it a mediocore film. I really want to like it, but for some reason I can not.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#22  Edited By Danteveli

They were Ok I guess. Nothing worth remembering.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Meowshi

I like Begins a little more than TDK.  Both are fantastic movies; not just comic book movies, but movies in general.   

As an aside: TDK, Iron Man, and Incredible Hulk were the best time for comic book films in my opinion.  Before that it was shit, and now it's just boring.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Slaker117

I've only seen TDK, and I thought it was really good. It's not a masterpiece of film making as some would make it seem, but solid, and as summer entertainment, I found it quite entertaining with the added bonus of not being completely mindless.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Damian

Not a fan of either. But I enjoyed Begins to some extent. 

I await a new director for this series. Nolan should stick to his psychological thrillers, where I find his head being up his ass more palatable.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By veektarius

Loved them both in theaters.  I think Dark Knight holds up better.  He uses a lot of quick cuts to reaction shots in Begins that come across as really hokey during the climactic scenes... particularly those shots of the people in the water... whatever it was called.  The people complaining about Rahs turning up the water pressure.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not a fan.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By penguindust

I enjoyed them both, but I think Batman Begins is a slightly better film.  The Joker is definitely a more dynamic character but I feel there wasn't enough Batman/Bruce in the movie by comparison in The Dark Knight.  Batman Begins seems like a tighter, more cohesive movie to me than its sequel, as well.  Still, both are far above average and certainly in the top 5 for the genre.

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DAFTPUNK

you just don't get it do you?
batman is fucking crazy and so is Nolan perfect match  I must say

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeanFoster

I like them a lot, probably the best comic book movies of all time. I wish Christopher Nolan was making another original film like Prestige or Inception though instead of a third Batman movie.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ghostiet

They're probably the best comic book flicks in existence, but in overall? They're good movies, but overrated to hell. There's plenty problems - Nolan's half-assed action sequences or Bale, for example. They're good movies, but The Dark Knight wouldn't get half the buzz if not for Ledger's mesmerizing Joker.

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By harinosho

Liked the first loved the second.. thinking of buying the Bluray. 

If the third one is about the earth quake. then im all in.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Batman Begins was decent but The Dark Knight was a great film.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Dany

What the hell is this ? A 6 point grading system?

I love the films, they are one of nolans best works and tha is not saying alot. He is a great director, made some great films and will hopefully continue to do so.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By hockeymask27

I enjoyed them both.I love the origin story in begins and the action and suspense in the Dark Knight.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By BoG

I'm an odd one, and preferred Batman begins. While the Dark Knight is brilliant, it's tainted by poor performances by a few actors (whoever thought hiring Maggie Gyllenhaal was a good idea ought to be fired), and an odd flow. Still great, but the first was better, from where I'm standing. I love Christopher Nolan to death, and have since seeing Memento. I'd go so far as to say he's the best director we have actively working in Hollywood.
gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gamefreak9
@Dany@BoG:  
I agree that Nolan is one of the best directors working today and i thought Dark Knight was even better than Prestige(which i marginally prefer over memento), though i find Inception okay(maybe bad). So on that... i think that when Nolan is going on purely his senses and has no baseline, he is not very good... i hope it didn't ruin my appetite for spinning cameras for the next Batman. 
Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Burns098356GX

I thought Begins was better than DK. Heath Ledger made DK, not saying it was bad though, just felt it tried to go into too many directions.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I love Nolan's films, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were both phenomenal and I can't wait for The Dark Knight Rises. Actually, I agree with some of the other people in here that The Dark Knight was the best superhero movie there's ever been.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MikkaQ

I just think they're really overrated. Batman Begins didn't have too much awful hype behind it, but I found it bland. Dark Knight was a more interestring movie, but I don't really see the big deal. It's another summer blockbuster, I didn't find it very memorable, and I don't really look forward to the new one that much. I'll check it out either way.

I didn't like how the action was shot, I don't like that style of Batman, or the tone of the movie. Nolan is so much better when he's doing his own thing. Both Memento and Inception are vastly superior films (though both are also a bit overrated).

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Damian
@Burns098356GX said:
... just felt it tried to go into too many directions.
I think this is the biggest problem with most movies in this genre. I can't even fathom how the Avengers is going to handle the issue.
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By RE_Player1

I enjoyed them both. Batman Begins is my favourite although I do admit Dark Knight is technically a better film.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Revan_NL

Both great movies, though I prefer Batman Begins over the Dark Knight. First reason for this is because I didn't like the style-change in the Dark Knight (Gotham City being a total different city in The Dark Knight, it was Chicago in disguise whereas the Gotham City of Batman Begins had a unique look, inspired by NYC). Second reason is that I preferred Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes, it quite astounding how Maggy Gyllenhaal was able to be more annoying then Holmes. As a result, the 'dramatic scene'  when she dies fell a bit flat, since I was glad that the character died instead of shocked. Last reason is that although the villains in TDK were better overall, I thought that they've should have waited with Two-Face until the third movie. I really liked Aaron Eckhart as Harvey Dent, he deserved to be in the third one.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Damian said:
@Burns098356GX said:
... just felt it tried to go into too many directions.
I think this is the biggest problem with most movies in this genre. I can't even fathom how the Avengers is going to handle the issue.
With Joss Whedon in control of the project, I can't see it being anything less than a disaster.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By LiquidPrince

It was amazing at first, but then it sort of fizzled out for me. The movies aren't really that rewatchable, because they're so slow. I love the second one, and Ledger is fucking incredible, but there is only so many times that movie can be watched in its entirety.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Batman Begins isn't great, but The Dark Knight is amazingly entertaining.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#48  Edited By Kyreo

@Redbullet685 said:

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Batman Begins is a great film on its own but TDK blew me the fuck away. That movie was an event when it came out.

Avatar image for xtrememuffinman
Xtrememuffinman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Xtrememuffinman

They're fantastic; they're what got me hooked on Nolan.

I'm one of the few who enjoyed Begins more, but they're both amazing. Layered and thought provoking, exciting and suspenseful. Perfect movies for what they're trying to accomplish, and they've definitely set standards and redefined the superhero movie experience.