Posted by liquiddragon (3162 posts) 7 months, 11 days ago

Poll: What do you think about Terminator Salvation? (188 votes)

Zero ★ 6%
10%
★★ 27%
★★★ 30%
★★★★ 11%
★★★★★ 1%
I haven't seen it. 15%

I like Terminator Salvation because it looks and feels different from the previous films and although I was skeptical at the time, setting the whole movie in the future allows it to be its own thing. I think TS stands on its own but seeing the side of the Terminator universe we previously only got glimpses of is pretty neat.

Not saying it's perfect. The movie isn't exactly oozing with personality and the plot is too straightforward but it has more than enough set-piece moments and memorable visuals. Performances are good across the board if I remember correctly, even Sam Worthington who gets a lot of shit, was well cast.

I'm not sure how much the leak of Christian Bale's on-set outburst colored ppl's opinion of TS but after Terminator Genisys, I'm guessing TS' stock has only gone up.

#1 Posted by devilzrule27 (1289 posts) -

It was alright. The ending was kind of dumb.

#2 Edited by ripelivejam (12999 posts) -

blecchhh

Genisys had no effect on me, which I suppose is an improvement.

#3 Posted by Toastburner_B (465 posts) -

I haven't seen it in years, but from what I remember it was good. Not great, but nowhere near as bad as most people say it is.

It's better than Terminator 3.

#4 Edited by Shiftygism (717 posts) -
@devilzrule27 said:

The ending was kind of dumb.

The ending was incredibly dumb.

It's always nice on those rare occasions when a studio will recognize issues fans may have with certain beloved properties and adjusts their course of action, but when the intentional ending of Salvation leaked online....Wright taking over as John's cybernetic replacement....it sparked so much hate, panic ensued leading to an unnecessary rewrite so amazingly stupid it left the entire film pointless and straight up terminated their plans for a trilogy.

#5 Posted by OurSin_360 (6089 posts) -

I liked it, it was average but better than 3 by a mile. I dont remember the ending though or why it would suck?

#6 Posted by ShaggE (9137 posts) -

*makes farty raspberry noise for an uncomfortably long duration*

It's the only Terminator I actively dislike. I even prefer Genisys. (even hotter take: Genisys? Not all that bad as long as you keep expectations in check and are in the mood to laugh)

#7 Posted by Shiftygism (717 posts) -

I dont remember the ending though or why it would suck?

Wright simply gave Connor his heart instead of posing as him after his death which would've set up new territory for the films story-wise.

Though if they really wanted to cover new ground they should've focused on the original random dude John Connor and how he ended up becoming the leader of the Resistance without the events of the first Terminator leading him to that position.

#8 Posted by DarkeyeHails (552 posts) -

I pretty much don't think about it at all. It really isn't interesting enough to warrant it. At least Genisys gave you the satisfaction of seeing a flaming turd of a movie and really wallowing in it.

#9 Edited by Justin258 (15494 posts) -

It's fine. I like it more than the flaming clusterfuck that is Genisys.

Terminator 3 is OK. What do people actually hate about that movie?

While I'm at it, T2 is really good but Terminator 1 is superior to all of them.

#10 Posted by nutter (1631 posts) -

That’s either the piece of crap with Christian Bale or the piece of crap with the dragon lady from Game of Thrones.

I’m not sure which, as I didn’t make it through either. It doesn’t matter, though. They’re both zero stars and totally irredeemable.

#11 Posted by nutter (1631 posts) -

Top Ten Terminators:

1. Terminator 1

2. Terminator 2

3. ...

4. ...

5. Terminator 3

6. ...

7. ...

8. ...

9. ...

10. ...

That’s all. I hope you enjoyed our Top Ten Terminators feature.

#12 Edited by OurSin_360 (6089 posts) -

@shiftygism: oh yeah, that seems fine? Is it bad because people expected the other ending? Thats kinda what i remember about it, it played it pretty safe. I thought the acting was above par for terminator movies, it had a different premise other than time travel to the past, and the setting was cool. I still dont get the hate for it, maybe people like they campy stuff like 3 better? I thought 3 was a terrible movie at the time i saw it. It felt like fanfiction.

#13 Posted by Rebel_Scum (1434 posts) -

Its a good movie. Not one of the best Terminators but definitely not the worst.

Isn't the ending where they end up at the terminator factory where there's thousands of terminators but there's only one terminator chasing them? Man that was bad...

#14 Posted by Dichemstys (3908 posts) -

It was the first Terminator film I ever saw. I remember liking it but haven't seen it since.

#15 Posted by mems1224 (2439 posts) -

watchable but kinda boring and a lot of wasted potential. the trailer was far better than the movie.

#16 Posted by TheHT (15751 posts) -

Terminator Genisys was an awful, awful movie. It was also more enjoyable than Salvation.

I think I might've actually fallen asleep in the middle of Salvation.

#17 Edited by ripelivejam (12999 posts) -

dong dong never die is the true successor to the first two terminators imho.

#18 Posted by glots (4132 posts) -

I basically rememember nothing about this movie, so I guess forgettable? Never seen Genisys, so can't say if it's the worst.

#19 Edited by HatKing (7442 posts) -

I remember being surprised how many people disliked it, but to be fair I kind of turned my brain off and just took it in. I haven't seen it since theaters, and I've thought about revisiting it a couple times, but not sure I care enough about those movies or their fiction to bother.

#20 Edited by NTM (11467 posts) -

The first two are five stars. Three is... a 2.5 maybe 3 stars and not even in terms of how much I liked it, just in terms of quality (if it was my enjoyment, it'd be a 1 star). I liked Salvation more than three, but would probably also say three stars. And Genisys is a 1.5 or 2-star movie. I hear the next Terminator is retconning on it all though as James Cameron and Tim Miller take up the mantle. I hope it's good. For me, it goes:

1. You can interchange one and two; I like them the same. I've watched both many times and grew up on two, but at this point, I believe I've seen the first more times.

2. Salvation. I didn't like the direction they went with it necessarily, but... Good actors were in it, so it was a plus for me even if slight. I also liked some of the music and the end reveal of the Terminator model chasing them was nice.

3. Terminator 3. The downfall of the films. Aside from Arnold being back (and even that was a misstep), and the doctor back, it was a bad movie.

4. Genisys. Um... Yeah. That movie. Nothing needs to be said. It was just bad.

Also, though I know Salvation took place before the flashbacks in the first two, the flashbacks' atmosphere was a lot better than the very plain Salvation future.

#21 Edited by Marcsman (3818 posts) -

A heart transplant in the middle of a dessert performed by a veterinarian?

Movie was a piece of shit. The machines deserve to win.

#22 Posted by Humanity (18258 posts) -

I like that we finally got to see the future part of that franchise.

Probably better than T3.

#23 Edited by Brackstone (802 posts) -

The best Terminator films are as follows.

1. Terminator 2 (almost entirely because the T-1000 is radical)
  2. Terminator 1 (overall more solid than T-2)
  3. Westworld (the one with Yul Brynner)

That is all.

Salvation could have been cool, and I like the idea of a post judgement day terminator film, but the script sucks and it's aesthetic is never oppressive enough. You could do a lot worse than Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese, and the janky ass T-600s are a cool idea.

It's so much better than Genisys. Ultimately it's boring, not very good, but largely inoffensive, like all Sam Worthington films.

#24 Edited by Kidavenger (4417 posts) -

T1

T2

a small ocean

The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Salvation

my butt

Genisys

T3

#26 Posted by KillEm_Dafoe (2618 posts) -

It's totally a decent movie. It has some awesome action sequences with excellent effects, or they were at least good when it came out, and some fairly strong performances. It just feels nothing like a Terminator movie, just kind of generic post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

I will say, I think it has one of the best movie trailers of all time. It's a shame that it couldn't even approach the intensity of that trailer.

#27 Posted by csl316 (14859 posts) -

I don't think about it anymore, honestly. I was excited for it ahead of time, to finally see the Terminator awful future. But once we got there it just wasn't what I was looking for.

I enjoyed it ok, I suppose.

#28 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7352 posts) -

It was alright, but nothing amazing. I actually think the whole series is rather pointless. The first movie was the most interesting, and the second move while a different genera and pace of movie was just fine. Yet it should have ended there...no other movies were needed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
#30 Edited by deactivated-5ba16609964d9 (3361 posts) -

My first thought was that the TV show? Then I remembered it was called The Sarah Connor Chronicles and that show was surprisingly good. At least the best thing to come out in the Terminator universe post-Judgement Day. Man that show needed more love just for immediately retconning Terminator 3 right out of the gate.

Loading Video...
#31 Posted by AdamALC (264 posts) -

It has the luxury of the movie before and after it being dog shit but I was not a big fan of Salvation. It had some good moments but the ending was just silly.

#32 Posted by JasonR86 (10212 posts) -

I remember thinking it was fine at the time because I didn't dislike it like I had most Terminator things post T2. But, in hindsight, it was a pretty unremarkable, passionless, and boring movie. It was a completely passable, workman-like action movie.

#33 Edited by monetarydread (2881 posts) -

I didn't hate it like some people do. It certainly isn't the worst film in the franchise, that award goes to Terminator: Genisys. My biggest problem with it is that it feels like it was a reboot of the series and it set up a bunch of stories for a 2nd film but never delivered on them.

#34 Edited by Undeadpool (6757 posts) -

@ripelivejam said:

blecchhh

Genisys had no effect on me, which I suppose is an improvement.

I disagree with this. Genisys is at least memorable in how awful it is.

I felt NOTHING for Salvation. I forgot I saw it the same night that I saw it.

It's very weird that Aliens, Predator, Robocop, and Terminator franchises all have exactly 2 good or great entries and the rest are TRASH. Yet they're still beloved sci-fi franchises.

#35 Posted by Deo_Brando (33 posts) -

To be honest, I didn’t like it at all. I expected more.

#36 Posted by FacelessVixen (2441 posts) -

Didn't watch the actual movie, but that Christian Bale rant gets a solid four stars.

#37 Posted by Casepb (518 posts) -

I keep forgetting that I watched it. Also that it even exists....