What do you think of the board game Risk?

• 81 results
BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

After spending the weekend with some friends, and playing a game of Risk (which ends up happening 2-3 times a year), I've come to the conclusion I don't really like the game at all.

I don't like that it takes like 6 hours to play, and I dislike that once I end my turn, I basically have no meaningful interaction with the game beyond rolling defense dice (especially irksome if you have indecisive friends). I guess there are rule variations to shorten the game, and "other people's turns are boring" is a flaw of many turn-based board games, but still, I feel like Risk has been grandfathered into the system (along with Monopoly, which is godawful and boring) and everybody thinks it's a classic, despite there probably being equally good alternatives made by some Europeans in the past couple decades.

So what do you guys think of Risk? Love it? Hate it? And do you have any other suggestions for other board games that have some element of global conflict/territory control?

eugenesaxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By eugenesaxe

I used to play the Hell out of both Risk and Monopoly, but I don't have the attention span for them now.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I have nothing but bad memories of playing Risk. I prefer board games that don't take quite so long.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Grissefar

Too much RNG and it's perhaps the most boring board game I have played.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

I love Risk and Monopoly.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vodun

More like bored game amirite? Up high!

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By VisariLoyalist

Fortune street is better

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By N7

With the MGS edition of it out, I thought I'd give it a try. Downloaded it on PSN, but found I made a mistake. Instead of buying RISK, I accidentally bought "How to explode with rage immediately".

Still in therapy.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jtmosh

I don't like Risk at all but that Metal Gear Solid version is bad ass.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@BisonHero said:

After spending the weekend with some friends, and playing a game of Risk (which ends up happening 2-3 times a year), I've come to the conclusion I don't really like the game at all.

I don't like that it takes like 6 hours to play, and I dislike that once I end my turn, I basically have no meaningful interaction with the game beyond rolling defense dice (especially irksome if you have indecisive friends). I guess there are rule variations to shorten the game, and "other people's turns are boring" is a flaw of many turn-based board games, but still, I feel like Risk has been grandfathered into the system (along with Monopoly, which is godawful and boring) and everybody thinks it's a classic, despite there probably being equally good alternatives made by some Europeans in the past couple decades.

So what do you guys think of Risk? Love it? Hate it? And do you have any other suggestions for other board games that have some element of global conflict/territory control?

Indescive? Like they keep taking back their moves? From what I played you touch a piece and move i its your move. Doesnt matter what it is. 
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By crusader8463

I always loved it but never had any one to play with. Maybe if I had the chance to play a few games I would grow to dislike it too, but until that day comes I will continue living vicariously through crappy RISK video game adaptations.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

Boring and long when your sober. Violent and fun when drunk.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aetheldod

I love playing risk , longer the game the better :D ... World domination for the Win!!!!!

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Axis & Allies is much better than risk. Also, board games are only fun when your locked up or under the age of 13. At least, I had the most fun with board games when I was "incarcerated".

Natedogg2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Natedogg2

I used to play it a bit when I was younger with my uncles. They were fairly ruthless. I was not. So I would be one of the first eliminated (since I'm not very aggressive), then they'd continue playing for another four hours.

The game is interesting. I just wish it didn't take forever to play.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#16  Edited By Little_Socrates

My biggest problem is that smaller games are largely decided by who goes first. Bigger games suffer less from this (except that the last player will probably lose) but it's so easy to get an early advantage that RISK is over within an hour and lives on for another couple hours. For those who get knocked out early, it's a long ordeal not worth your time.

I think Monopoly's cool, but I prefer Fortune Street. As for RISK, I don't have a preferred alternative in board-game form, but Civilization's pretty awesome.

Firepaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Firepaw

Never liked it, it's alright I guess but it is so boring. I have always preferred a more direct strategy or puzzle board games like chess for example.

Feruos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Feruos

I love Risk. Never had a high winning percentage, but it's quite fun. Constant analysis needed, momentum can change really fast.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BisonHero

@The_Laughing_Man: Indecisive, in the sense that one of my friends will just sit there and stare at the board, "planning", for like 5-10 minutes when it's his turn. I know it's a strategy game, but c'mon, you only have so many clumps of guys, and you can only plan so far ahead, because the landscape will usually be dramatically different by the time your turn comes back around anyway.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@BisonHero said:

, "planning", for like 5-10 minutes when it's his turn.

Jesus, Its not chess, Its not even as complicated as Axis&Allies. Its a really simple game really. I've never really planned, its like Battleship or something lol.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ocean_H

@BisonHero said:

In other words, you're impatient and ADD? You'd be freaking out in a match of Warhammer tabletop or the sorts.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By thebeast

It's one of those games that's extremely popular, like Monopoly, but when you compare it to the wealth of other board games out there, it's dull and uninspired.

If you want something similar (territory control, armies, etc.) but with a lot more interesting stuff going on, try some of these:

• Conquest of Nerath - my favourite Risk alternative. Relatively simple but with some great variety.
  • Small World - for something lighter/easier to get in to.
  • Nexus Ops/Dust - Haven't played these as games by Fantasy Flight tend to have overly complicated rulesets that I'm not a fan of. Highly respected games though, and supposed to be excellent.

If you want to try a different sort of board game, I did a couple of blog posts on some I'd recommend for people getting in to the hobby:

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BisonHero

@Ocean_H said:

In other words, you're impatient and ADD? You'd be freaking out in a match of Warhammer tabletop or the sorts.

Keeping in mind that I was visiting friends for a weekend, Risk just seems like a colossal misuse of 5-6 hours. Especially in light of me realizing I don't really care for the core of the game; no area feels like it's of strategic importance besides Australia, as just about every continent is nigh indefensible, so it feels like whoever goes first ends up with a sizable advantage, then much of the game is decided by who gets a luckier draw with their Risk cards and how screwed you get by the dice rolls. The actual maneuvering hardly seems to matter that much.

I agree with @TheBeast: it doesn't really compare to some of the better games out there. It feels like a remnant from the era when board games were first catching on, and all the game designers were complete shit at their jobs because it was so early.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By coakroach

My friends and I used to take the miniature soldiers, cavalry and cannons and make our own games with them, which was pretty sweet when I was ten.

Cant say i'm a fan of the actual game though.

JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JordanK85

I like the idea of Risk but never really enjoyed playing the game. Map-based strategy games have always had a special appeal for me even before playing them. The only game in that vein that has really been enjoyable to play though was Civ but I forbid myself from playing that game because it's impossible for me to have a session lasting less than 6 hours. Just one more turn, indeed.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By TobbRobb

Risk and Monopoly are pretty much the only Boardgames I play, once every two years. I think it's fun fi you don't play a lot of it, and really it's not the game that makes boardgaming fun, FRIENDS BRAH.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By MysteriousBob

I've never played it.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By isomeri

@JTMosh said:

I don't like Risk at all but that Metal Gear Solid version is bad ass.

How does the MGS version differ from normal Risk?

I do like Risk rather a lot actually. But how much fun you have with the game depends hugely on the people you play it with. You need to find a group with long attention spans, a knack for diplomacy and deception as well as good stories to share in between the rather long turns. Many beers and good music also helps.

Nowadays I usually play the XBLA version of Risk Factions, which is actually a great way to introduce new players to the game. It takes away most of the boring calculation and dice rolling, and negates any chance of the usual Risk arguments regarding invalid troop placement and so on.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always preferred to play Life or Monopoly.

jdw519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jdw519

It's fun, but it takes more concentration than most board games require, also handling all those little plastic pieces sucks, and yeah it takes way to long to finish a game.

Farley_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Farley_Lives

Regular Risk is VERY dull. A new version came out recently called Risk: Legacy which I've found to be way more fun, it introduces the idea of the map actually changing over multiple game. It's pretty crazy and cool at the same time. But if you want a different region control war game, check out Chaos in the Old World, it's themed after Warhammer Fantasy and is superb.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By matthias2437

I love the game, one of my favorite board games. I used to go to a thing the first friday of every months were we would just get together and play risk for like 8 hours. Fun stuff.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mikeeegeee

Just play Catan and Blokus.

SomeScrub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SomeScrub

Risk is my favorite/ most hated board game. I love the concept, however I hate the fact that there is really no strategy involved, and how random the game is because of dice.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#35  Edited By veektarius

@BigChickenDinner said:

Axis & Allies is much better than risk.

RavioliSumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By RavioliSumo

Risk is trash.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stinky

love Risk. board games are social, you should be talking and chatting as you are playing with friends.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Yanngc33

@mikeeegeee said:

Just play Catan and Blokus.

Blokus is pretty dope

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I like both Risk and Monopoly.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BisonHero

@SomeScrub said:

Risk is my favorite/ most hated board game. I love the concept, however I hate the fact that there is really no strategy involved, and how random the game is because of dice.

Yep, I'm on the same page as you. I like the concept of a game where you try to conquer the world, but I'm realizing I don't really like any of the ideas in Risk itself. I'd rather see someone else's take on a world domination game, and it sounds like Axis and Allies is a good start, and maybe some of the things TheBeast suggested. Now comes the hard part: actually convincing my friends to try something other than Risk, when several of them already own a copy of it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#41  Edited By StarvingGamer

They need to release a balance patch to fix Australia.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By imsh_pl

I used to play it for a few years with my family (3 times a month or something like that) and love it. We probably had a bit different rules but a standard 5 player game lasted about 2 hours.

thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thebeast

@BisonHero: You could try introducing them to Risk Legacy - could easily tell them it's just "Risk 2". I haven't played it yet but I'd say it's suitable for you and your friends. Unlike other board games, Legacy evolves by encouraging you to write on the board, rip up cards, etc. so it's great for a group of friends.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#44  Edited By Kidavenger

I haven't played in many years, but I always had a good time playing.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Bollard

@TheBeast: Pandemic seems like the exact opposite of some single player flash game I've seen go by a similar name, where you're required to try and evolve a disease to consume the world population. Hmm.

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't think Risk is an amazing game, there are certainly many better board games out there but I do play a hell of a lot of Gambit, which is just a Risk knock off on http://gamesbyemail.com/

Risk as a board game is tediously long, but Risk as a game you play by email? Pretty fantastic.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

I should probably play it at some point?

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Strangestories

@ocean_h: sorry, but can you not use ADD as a catch-all term for being bored or impatient? There's much more to it than those two "symptoms." Thanks.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Risk arguably suffers from: too much die rolling, games going on for too long, and the fact that the dice often knock over or rattle the pieces.