What horror movies would you reccomend for me to watch?

• 54 results
lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lodar011

I'm in the middle of playing F.E.A.R. 2's campaign and it's inspired me to watch some horror movies.  I've never been a huge horror movie person, except for zombie movies.  I've seen all the essential zombie movies like Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later, etc.  I've also seen the Saw movies (1 and 2 were good and after that they started going downhill).  Anyways, The Ring is on my list to watch, but what others are good?

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CountRockula

Maybe you just neglected to mention it, but your list of essential zombie movies is missing Night of the Living Dead.  If you haven't seen it, you really should.

If you don't mind older horror movies, I personally really like The Omen.  A lot of the older movies based on Stephen King stuff are pretty good, too.  Carrie, Misery, and The Shining are all great.  If you're into slashers at all, the original Halloween is also really good.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By KindGalaxy

The Shining... tho I guess that's a Thriller. Go watch Stephen King's It. The first Nightmare on Elm Street. Wishmaster 1 and 2, the third was weak. Omen (1976 one), Poltergeist, The Warlock movies are disturbing, watch a dude cut a guy's finger for a ring. Just saw CountRockula recommended The Omen, hope he meant the old old one ^_^, also yeah, Carrie is fucking awesome. Man this thread is making me miss good 80s horror.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4  Edited By CountRockula

Hell yes, I meant the original Omen.  I probably should have made that clear.

Avatar image for optimusprime223
optimusprime223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By optimusprime223

i highly recommend Event Horizon, one of the scariest movies I have ever seen!

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

Moved to OT.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By adam_grif

ALIENS, ALIENS, A MILLION TIMES ALIENS.

James Cameron. That's Aliens with an S, not just "Alien". Alien is the original, Aliens is the superior sequel.

Also it's funny - the original  FEAR inspired me the same way. Now I've watched all the classic horror movies.

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KindGalaxy

I guess... I was forced to watch the 'classic horror movies' due to having a sister, 7 years my senior, who seemed to enjoy watching me squirm as I watched a boy get sucked into a bed, a tv talk to children, a girl possessed by the devil, a man with a hockey mask, a man with a chainsaw, a girl who ignited fire, a man with an axe and insanity and a fucking CLOWN monster... ugh... glad to know FEAR inspires teens/adults to watch this shit, it's no good for a 4 year old with an 11 year old sister >.< fucking bitch.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By weltal
lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lodar011

Thanks for the suggestions.  I work at Blockbuster, so I should in theory be able to get through these in a decent amount of time.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Captain_Fookup

Just avoid 28 Weeks Later, fuck that movie was a piece of shit.

Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ParrapatehRappa
Captain_Fookup said:
"Just avoid 28 Weeks Later, fuck that movie was a piece of shit."
But damn that helicopter scene made up for all the badness.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Any of the stephen king movies. Especially IT.

ShiroMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ShiroMe

The Grudge = Scariest movie ever of all time.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By natetodamax

That movie Carrot Top was in

Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ParrapatehRappa
ShiroMe said:
"The Grudge = Scariest movie ever of all time."
You really think that? You must not have seen very many movies then.

I just watched [REC] the other day, and that's the movie that the new Quarantine movie is based off of. Don't waste your time with Quarantine, as it is just another American bastardization of something that was incredibly good.

If you don't care to read subtitles, then watch [REC], it's Spanish made, but oh so excellent. You can Youtube it if you want, and they're all in high quality. About 6 parts or so I think. Not entirely long either.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
adam_grif said:
"ALIENS, ALIENS, A MILLION TIMES ALIENS.

James Cameron. That's Aliens with an S, not just "Alien". Alien is the original, Aliens is the superior sequel."
As much as I love it, and I do love it, I wouldn't say Aliens was really a horror.
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Verdugo

Silence of the lambs is a great horror movie, though it doubles as a thriller as well.

Also, Inside is a very disturbing french horror movie. I recommend it.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Dude

If you have not seen Event Horizon that is easily a must see. Another I would suggest (and a personal favorite) is "The Thing" 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilTwin

Not to just shit on other peoples' lists, but I would advise against Jaws, Se7en, or Silence of the Lambs if you're looking for horror.  All great movies, just not horror. 

I'd probably add Blair Witch Project to your list if you haven't already seen it. 

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blinck

28 DAYS later is pretty good ( didn't see 28 WEEKS later )
The Exorcist
Alien ( 1 )  ( I liked Aliens as well, but it was not that scary )
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

EDIT: Which one of the Dawn of The Dead do you guys recommend? the original or the 2004 one?

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Dude
EvilTwin said:
"Not to just shit on other peoples' lists, but I would advise against Jaws, Se7en, or Silence of the Lambs if you're looking for horror.  All great movies, just not horror. 

I'd probably add Blair Witch Project to your list if you haven't already seen it. 
"
Not to shit on your list, but Blair Witch Project was a piece of garbage.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ArchScabby

I would say The thing and The Exorcist.

Also the Blair Witch Project can be pretty scary.  You just have to imagine that you were there with them and how scared you would be if that stuff was going on.  I don't know, I get scared by horror movies easy because I let my imagination go wild which I guess isn't a bad thing.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BiggerBomb

Depends what you're looking for, specifically. I don't really like horror movies, but I've seen a couple. If you actually want to get scared, I suggestion The Texas Chainsaw Massacre; the only movie that has ever actually scared me. On the other hand, if you're looking for a movie that's simply brutal...Hostel, Pt. II. Never again will a movie (or anything, for that matter) gross me out. But if you do watch it, I suggest not viewing the final 15 minutes with food in your stomach. By suggest, I mean I really suggest you do not eat beforehand.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By JonathanMoore

I have seen A LOT of Horror Movies in my time as Horror just so happens to be my favorite genre of Movies along with Comedy, but my most highly recommendable film is still A Nightmare On Elm Street (the original)

There is something gritty and not so...hollywood'y about the original that makes it stand out from the rest of the series, and from the rest of the Horror genre as a whole, so if you haven't seen it (and I'm sure you probably have once in your life) I recommend you check it out.

-- God Bless.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#26  Edited By sarahsdad

I've always liked the first two Halloween movies. Not so scary any more, but I like the characters.

The original Pumpkinhead movie.
Silver Bullet. 
I liked Wolfen when I was younger, but I'm not sure how well it has aged.
lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lodar011

I am actually going to add a suggestion to my own question for other people.  I saw The Orphanage with some friends and it was really good, as long as you don't mind reading Spanish subtitles.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Black_Raven
ParrapatehRappa said:
"ShiroMe said:
You really think that? You must not have seen very many movies then.

I just watched [REC] the other day, and that's the movie that the new Quarantine movie is based off of. Don't waste your time with Quarantine, as it is just another American bastardization of something that was incredibly good.

If you don't care to read subtitles, then watch [REC], it's Spanish made, but oh so excellent. You can Youtube it if you want, and they're all in high quality. About 6 parts or so I think. Not entirely long either.
"
Listen to this guy, Rec is the best horror movie I've seen in a very long time. Also The Orphanage is very good.
clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By clubsandwich
ShiroMe said:
are you serious!? are you gay? seriously that movie is shit.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Black_Rose

Audition.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187

OMG...where do I begin?!  There's oh so so so so so many.

Dood, seriously, I would NOT even try to list them all.  Here's what I can tell you:
  • Avoid The Ring and The Ring Two like the fucking Plague.  As a matter of fact, avoid any form of American remake from J-horror flicks.  Even then, avoid most of the original J-horror versions.  Mostly, they all suck balls and aren't really "horror", but more about "suspense".
  • Dario Argento's movies are gems.
  • Show respect to anything Romero does, because that motherfucker has some shit to say to you and the rest of the world.  His movies are both gory and more socially conscious than ANYTHING the Oscars give an award to.
  • Dead/Alive is your friend (check my profile for a small example).
  • Zombie Strippers is fucking sweet.
  • Respect the classics, like Freddy, Michael, Jason, Candyman, Pumpkinhead, and Pinhead...but don't live by them.  That turns you into a damn fanboy.
  • The FIRST Leprechaun is the only GOOD Leprechaun.
  • Avoid Troll 2 like the fucking Plague!!!
  • If it has Clive Barker's name attached to it, expect homo-erotic fantasies and/or a majority of BDSM fetishes...unless it's Midnight Meat Train.
  • "Saw" is NEVER an acceptable answer...ever...unless it's "I saw the first Saw in theaters, and it was alright...but only because it had Dread Pirate Roberts and Deets in it."
  • Takashi Miike may not do "horror" movies persay, but he still directed the God of splatter flicks (that would be Ichi The Killer).
  • Seriously, stay the fuck AWAY from The Grudge.  Bad.bad.bad.bad.bad.bad.bad.bad.bad movie.
  • If you really have to get into "gorno", stay away from Hostel and look for the Tartan Asia Extreme labels.  Bloody Reunion is a good one.

Also, your "essential zombie movies" are NOT essential zombie movies.  They are MAINSTREAM zombie movies.  Once you've seen White Zombie, Zombi 1 2 and 3, Reanimator, and the every-so-awesome "zombie movie" in Heavy Metal...THEN you have seen all the essentials.  = D

Good watching!!!
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By weltal
jakob187 said:
  • The FIRST Leprechaun is the only GOOD Leprechaun.

WRONG - Proof:

No Caption Provided

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
Weltal said:
"Leprechaun in the Hood was good."
Sir...don't disgrace the amazingness of the Leprechaun pogo-sticking someone's chest in.  Don't EVER do that.  The only good part of the entire "in the Hood" movie is that he snaps a dood's finger off and smokes it...and even then...that STILL sucked.

No.  Leprechaun was good the first time around.  After that...well...Willow needed to get the fuck out of Dodge.
Avatar image for imayellowfellow
imayellowfellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By imayellowfellow

rosemarys baby? i dunno i never saw it but the main theme in that song is fucking creepy.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By weltal
jakob187 said:
"Weltal said:
Sir...don't disgrace the amazingness of the Leprechaun pogo-sticking someone's chest in.  Don't EVER do that.  The only good part of the entire "in the Hood" movie is that he snaps a dood's finger off and smokes it...and even then...that STILL sucked.

No.  Leprechaun was good the first time around.  After that...well...Willow needed to get the fuck out of Dodge.
"
Fine more proof? The film has Ice-T. More proof? Coolio. Playing Coolio. Seriously, you can't possibly claim this film wasn't awesome.

"I'll take it from you, homie, you'll see, cause you know the Leprechaun is the real O.G. "

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jakob187
Weltal said:
"jakob187 said:
"Weltal said:

No.  Leprechaun was good the first time around.  After that...well...Willow needed to get the fuck out of Dodge."
Fine more proof? The film has Ice-T. More proof? Coolio. Playing Coolio. Seriously, you can't possibly claim this film wasn't awesome.
"I'll take it from you, homie, you'll see, cause you know the Leprechaun is the real O.G. "
Hey, if you like shit, then by all means, enjoy your whopping handful of shit.  Me, personally...I don't like shit.  Nope.

Ice-T:  has-been rapper that sucks balls at Call of Duty 4 (and whines in a bitch voice while he does it)
Coolio:  has-been rapper that sucks balls at music - I mean, really...the dood made a hit with "Gangsta's Paradise"...which wasn't very gangsta at all...and then his SECOND hit came from THE ALBUM HE PUT OUT BEFORE GANGSTA'S PARADISE.....ALL BECAUSE HE GOT FAMOUS FROM GANGSTA'S PARADISE!!!  Oh, and he ALSO had his part in Daredevil cut from the entire movie.  You KNOW you suck when you got cut out of DAREDEVIL!!!

The only saving grace that movie could POSSIBLY have is that it shares the same name as the awesomeness that Jennifer Aniston starred in called Leprechaun.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By weltal
jakob187 said:
Hey, if you like shit, then by all means, enjoy your whopping handful of shit.  Me, personally...I don't like shit.  Nope.

You, sir, have absolutely no taste in movies. After the the greatness of Leprechaun: In Space and the fucking magnum opus, Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood, which followed this film you clearly have no leg to stand on. 
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By The_Dude
Weltal said:
"jakob187 said:

You, sir, have absolutely no taste in movies. After the the greatness of Leprechaun: In Space and the fucking magnum opus, Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood, which followed this film you clearly have no leg to stand on. "
Nah dude...that movie was pretty terrible.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187
Weltal said:
"jakob187 said:
You, sir, have absolutely no taste in movies. After the the greatness of Leprechaun: In Space and the fucking magnum opus, Leprechaun: Back 2 tha Hood, which followed this film you clearly have no leg to stand on. "

My head....oh, my /facepalm head!!!
My head....oh, my /facepalm head!!!
Please, for the love of God, no one listen to Weltal.  He must be chewing on paint chips or something.  I've just never...I mean....I....

I'm fucking speechless, sir.  Completely and utterly speechless...
...for probably about 10 seconds.
EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EvilTwin
The_Dude said:
"EvilTwin said:
"Not to just shit on other peoples' lists, but I would advise against Jaws, Se7en, or Silence of the Lambs if you're looking for horror.  All great movies, just not horror. 

"
Not to shit on your list, but Blair Witch Project was a piece of garbage.
"
Sorry you feel that way.
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By weltal

Tch. I never though this place would be so devoid of active enthusiasts of great cinematography. Fine. I'm out voted.

Other recommendation Vampire: The Turning.
An American muay-thai fighter in Thailand must join forces with a
group of vampire hunters to track down and kill a vampire lord who has
kidnapped his gilfriend.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187
EvilTwin said:
"The_Dude said:
"EvilTwin said:

I'd probably add Blair Witch Project to your list if you haven't already seen it."
Not to shit on your list, but Blair Witch Project was a piece of garbage."
Sorry you feel that way."
  1. Blair Witch Project is NOT horror in any way whatsoever...and it's a bad movie to boot.
  2. Seven is absolutely a horror movie.
  3. Jaws is absolutely a horror movie.
  4. Silence of the Lambs is ABSOLUTELY a horror movie!!!
What the HELL do you consider horror?
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#43  Edited By mike

Se7en and Silence Of The Lambs are thrillers, not horror movies. 

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By EvilTwin

Does, I can't define it, but I know it when I see it, work for you? 

Edit:  ^As is Jaws, in my opinion anyways. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By weltal
MB said:
"Se7en and Silence Of The Lambs are thrillers, not horror movies. 
"
True but since he has Saw listed I figured he wouldn't mind some movies that walk the line between horror and thriller.
Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bulldog19892

No Caption Provided

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jakob187
LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#48  Edited By LackLuster
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jakob187
LackLuster said:
"seven is not a horror movie, but it's really good"
Seven...is...a...horror...movie.  It is not what some people would consider a "horror" movie, as it's not a slasher movie, massive splatter movie, or monster movie...
...but it IS a horror movie.  It just happens to ALSO be a thriller movie.
LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By LackLuster
jakob187 said:
"LackLuster said:
"seven is not a horror movie, but it's really good"
Seven...is...a...horror...movie.  It is not what some people would consider a "horror" movie, as it's not a slasher movie, massive splatter movie, or monster movie...
...but it IS a horror movie.  It just happens to ALSO be a thriller movie.
"

I really don't agree with that, but if you say so