#1 Posted by craven_fiend (25 posts) -

Bare with me for a minute here.  I was thinking about this other day, while listening to the podcast.  At first, I just blew it off as pure silliness, but then it got me to thinking.  What if you could play online with all of your friends, on any game, regardless of consoles?  I was thinking about this, as most of my friends prefer the PS3 to the 360.  I prefer to play on Live and would love to play games with them over Live, but that won't happen any time soon.  Which brings me back to my question.  What if you could play any game with your friends, regardless of what console you're playing?  I know it won't happen, but it's any interesting thought, I think...

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
#2 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

That would increase the playerbase, which could lead to a longer lifespan for online games.

Oh and a lot more kids that insult you.

Win-win right?

#3 Posted by one_2nd (2388 posts) -

Thank god, I thought this was gonna be about poison in the mailbag again. Anyway, yeah that would be cool, but it'll never happen. 

#4 Posted by Karn (714 posts) -

It surely is possible, yet the console generals (Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo) are too busy fighting a useless battle to concentrate on anything important.

#5 Posted by ajamafalous (13635 posts) -
@one_2nd said:
" Thank god, I thought this was gonna be about poison in the mailbag again. Anyway, yeah that would be cool, but it'll never happen.  "
Lol.

To OP, I play on PC, so it would just lead to me wrecking kids.
#6 Posted by abbeyroad992 (16 posts) -

I really don't think anyone is going to say "Well I wouldn't like one bit"
#7 Posted by ReyGitano (2491 posts) -

You're late to the dream.

#8 Posted by Jasta (2247 posts) -

As soon as you add PC's into the mix you'll notice how much higher the level of play is and would spoil it for the console gamers.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
#9 Posted by deactivated-58c3985c661d1 (2120 posts) -

Consoles is fine, but you can't integrate PC's too. They have an unfair advantage, and no console gamer will want to play with them. unless, of course, it is some kind of professional league where the console gamers are too pro. 

But yeah, great idea. I like it.

#10 Posted by BraveToaster (12636 posts) -

I'm sure all of us have thought about this. 

@abbeyroad992 said:

" I really don't think anyone is going to say "Well I wouldn't like one bit" "
And this too.
#11 Posted by craven_fiend (25 posts) -

Glad to see my first attempt at a topic was well received.  

I figured I was late to the dream, but I'm still surprised it took so long for me to think about it.  It would still alone console exclusive games to stay exclusive, while increasing the userbase, like another poster mentioned.  It would be well worth the big 3, sorry PC only consoles to this dream party, to initialize this.  Hell, I'm surprised that they didn't integrate Final Fantasy XI with the PS2, PC, and 360.  But oh well, our dream is their loss.

#12 Posted by gakon (2010 posts) -
@craven_fiend said:
" It would still alone console exclusive games to stay exclusive, while increasing the userbase, like another poster mentioned.  "
If the game is console-exclusive how could it include cross-console online play?

There have been PC/Xbox 360 cross-compatible online games, but the only example that comes to mind is Shadowrun, which was published by Microsoft Studios.  I don't know if any other games have done it, but I feel like the only ones that have would either be Microsoft-published or a part of Games for Windows, so that Microsoft could have some control over it.
#13 Posted by Demonstride (876 posts) -

Never will happen for the same reason you find 4 pharmacies within 100 yards of each other in some towns, market competition. 

#14 Posted by craven_fiend (25 posts) -

That didn't really go together like I had intended it to.  I was saying it would allows consoles to keep their exclusives and entice people to join their userbase.  Kind of like saying here's your Mario's, Jak and Dexter's, or , Alan Wake's and you can play your Call of Duties, Maddens, and such with anyone online, regardless of their system.   I should have worded that a lot better.

#15 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

i would like that. it will never happen as competition with each other, sony, microsoft, nintendo. it could be fun to do that, be playing xbox 360and my friend is on ps3. talk to him while were both on different consoles.

#16 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1663 posts) -

If this happened i bet they would charge a lot of money for it.