What is for you, the most important virtue to have?

• 102 results
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By npeterson08
@theguy:  No, no, I realize you weren't siding with Rand's theory, I was just rambling about my thoughts. I agree, individuality is important to retain;  it's one of humanity's most important traits. 
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By npeterson08
@example1013: They look pretty "real" to me.
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Famov
@FourWude said:
"I took down the Soviet Union, singlehandedly btw. But that's a separate story. "
I'm pretty sure that would automatically make you the most patriotic American ever. And I'm not even sure you're American.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Animasta

understanding is mega important to me

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Example1013
@npeterson08: What are you using as a definition for real?
unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By unchained

Compassion. 

Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Synaptic

Honesty, with love/compassion a close second.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Example1013
@Synaptic: What kind of honesty? Like brutal, absolute honesty? Or is skirting the issue allowed to still count as honesty?
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By npeterson08
@example1013 said:

" @npeterson08: What are you using as a definition for real? "

The Miz's definition of "real" is my definition of "real."
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Example1013
@npeterson08: I feel like you're trying to play me.
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By npeterson08
@example1013 said:
" @npeterson08: I feel like you're trying to play me. "
I feel like you're hitting on me.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Example1013
@npeterson08 said:
" @example1013 said:
I feel like you're hitting on me. "
I don't know. Is it working?
npeterson08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By npeterson08
@example1013 said:
" @npeterson08 said:
" @example1013 said:
I feel like you're hitting on me. "
I don't know. Is it working? "
What are you using as a definition of working?
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honesty would be an obvious answer, and also a bullshit answer. People lie to / withhold facts from each other on a daily basis. Lies are often necessary so as not to hurt a person's feelings, disrupt the peace or spoil a good party etc. If the world were an honest place we would have wiped each other out by now, on account of everyone saying exactly what's on their mind. Imagine our politicians constantly calling each other out on being the lying cocksuckers that they all are. 

I have to go with logic and empathy. These two basically add up to a perfect society.

The one you gave was pretty good. I'd say understanding and peacefulness are very important too. Fear of other people and the knee-jerk reaction to respond to every supposed threat with violence (like douchebags who beat people half to death for looking at their girlfriends or for accidentally bumping into them on the street) are big problems IMHO.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Example1013
@npeterson08: Touché.
habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By habster3
@rudeboy217 said:
"Sincerity. "
Butcher that and act out of loyalty deep in every country ;)
Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Ihmishylje

Reason.

It kinda includes everything else.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

Vengeance
 Vengeance
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Aristotle does not approve of this thread.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Example1013
@DetectiveSpecial: Fuck Aristotle. He also said that there were 4 indivisible elements that made up all matter.

EDIT: Although technically we're made up of four basic molecules (DNA-wise). Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Conspiracy!
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By Turambar

Kindness and patience go hand in hand for me

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By HitmanAgent47

wisdom

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#73  Edited By wefwefasdf

Justice sounds pretty good to me.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Gabriel

Justice. 

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By Matfei90

Loyalty

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By WickedFather

Temperence and chastity do not belong in the list, they're fucking spastic.  Honesty - man, the number of people just scared to say "No, I'd rather do something else." would make your life so much easier.  Edited when sober:  They're weak and annoying.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By artofwar420

Courage to do the rest.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By AlexW00d
@example1013 said:

" @DetectiveSpecial: Fuck Aristotle. He also said that there were 4 indivisible elements that made up all matter.
EDIT: Although technically we're made up of four basic molecules (DNA-wise). Coincidence? I THINK NOT!

Conspiracy!
"

He's far more correct that you would think.

Also, I don't like humanity, but I'd never do a thing to harm anyone, out of spite or knowing anyway. So whichever one is the closest to that.
Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Zajtalan

Intellection 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Example1013
@AlexW00d: Who's far more correct than I might think? I'm just not sure who you're referring to...
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By AlexW00d

@example1013: Aristotle. 
GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By GunnBjorn
@npeterson08 said:

"Charity. Society is too impersonal and concerned with individuality nowadays.So much could be solved if we all contributed. "

This. I work for the Food Bank, and although it's a paid position, I can tell you my heart is totally into it. I have BA in Logistic Management, and I could almost earn twice as much if I worked for a regular logistics company. But I don't want that. I want to do something good to my fellow needy men. I don't want to sound like a saint, but I can tell you, it feels good to do something beneficial for other people.      
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Example1013
@AlexW00d said:
"
@example1013: Aristotle. 
"
Is this about the fact that our bodies are basically made up of 4 different elements? (hydrogen, oxygen, carbon and nitrogen, right?)
ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#84  Edited By ThePickle

Creativity 

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#85  Edited By korolev

Self-Control is the most important virtue. The ability to restrain your emotions, to check your anger and hate and lust. Without the ability to control your own feelings and emotions, you become little more than an animal or a criminal.

The next most important virtue is what I like to call "self-awareness". This is the ability to recognize, clearly, your own failings as a human being, and believe me, we've all got our problems. Without the ability to recognize your own weaknesses and personality flaws, you can never improve yourself. Say what you will about Alcoholic's Anonymous (I'm a  teetotaller, so I don't have an opinion about them although I am aware they are hated by some), they are right when they say that the first step to getting better is to admit you have a problem, and we all have problems, one way or another.

And the third most important is the ability to admit error. Humility, I suppose. We all make mistakes. We ALL make mistakes. That comes from being human. Not only that, sometimes our reasoning is flawed, or sometimes we don't have all the information necessary to make a correct judgement. We need to learn that, as painful as it might be, you might be wrong and your enemies might be correct in some cases. No one is always right, and we really need to get over the shame of being wrong, or the dread of hearing a "I told you so!". In my opinion, this is one of the key problems with humanity - the inability to confront and the sheer fear and horror of hearing a "I TOLD YOU SO, NYAH, NYAH!". The best thing a human being can do is to look at the evidence as clearly as possible. If you're wrong, you're wrong. There's nothing to be ashamed of if you make a mistake. However, there is much shame in clinging on to an idea or paradigm even when the evidence is stacked against it. 
McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By McGhee

Generosity.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Lab392

Humility.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Humility is most important to me. Gotta keep that ego in check or it'll be the end of you.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Example1013

I fail to see how humility is the most important virtue. I'm by no means humble, but it hasn't caused me any problems. My arrogance isn't my fatal flaw, by a long shot.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By chrissedoff

valor

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Lemoncookie01

acceptance

PhunkyPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By PhunkyPhantom

Creativity and compassion.   

Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Ubik
@Lab392 said:
"  Humility. "

@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" Humility is most important to me. Gotta keep that ego in check or it'll be the end of you. "
100% agreed.

@example1013 said:
" I fail to see how humility is the most important virtue. I'm by no means humble, but it hasn't caused me any problems. My arrogance isn't my fatal flaw, by a long shot. "
I mean this in the nicest way possible, but how old are you?  I sincerely mean no disrespect here, but when you get older you start to appreciate humility more and more.  Particularly when you have to deal with young people who have greatly over-inflated egos and no real accomplishments to justify them.

(Side note: I was an arrogant bastard in my younger days, and to a certain extent probably still am.  I think humility is the greatest virtue in no small part because it's the virtue I have to work on the most). 
Synaptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Synaptic
@example1013 said:
" @Synaptic: What kind of honesty? Like brutal, absolute honesty? Or is skirting the issue allowed to still count as honesty? "
Generally, I tend towards the "brutal" honesty unless I know stating something in a certain way could make me sound like a douche. In that case, I make it sound a bit nicer while saying the same thing.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Example1013
@Ubik: I'm 19. It usually doesn't get me into trouble, because I usually keep my mouth shut unless I'm fairly sure I'm right. And then when I'm wrong, I man up and admit it.

I'm arrogant, but unfortunately, I'm also often right. Which doesn't help me become less arrogant. Still, there are worse character flaws, especially according to many cultures' value systems. Sloth being the first one that comes to mind, along with greed. Both cause more problems, both for the individuals who possess them and for everyone around those individuals, than I feel arrogance does.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Example1013
@Synaptic said:
" @example1013 said:
" @Synaptic: What kind of honesty? Like brutal, absolute honesty? Or is skirting the issue allowed to still count as honesty? "
Generally, I tend towards the "brutal" honesty unless I know stating something in a certain way could make me sound like a douche. In that case, I make it sound a bit nicer while saying the same thing. "
I feel like integrity is more desirable than honesty. There are cases where telling the truth will cause nothing but harm, and in those cases, I feel it's better to lie than to be honest. Integrity, however, is always valuable. I feel like, some other day when I'm more awake and aware, I'd love to have an integrity versus honesty debate.
Ubik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Ubik
@example1013: Yeah, I remember feeling that way too at 19.  I agree that on its face pride doesn't seem nearly as bad as some of the other cardinal sins, but the problem is that it's a sneaky fucker and you never suspect that it might reach up and bite you until it's too late.  When I was 22, I very nearly went to prison for some shit I didn't do and I learned real fast that pride can be your own worst enemy if you're not careful.  I know this makes me sound old, but take it from those of us who've been there, man: humility is definitely something to strive for.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Example1013
@Ubik: Oh don't get me wrong. I try to be as humble as possible, and I don't think most people who know me realize just how arrogant I am, because I'm fairly good at hiding it. Probably not as good as I think I am, but most likely decent at it. I try really hard not to brag, because I used to just do that all the time and control conversations and shit, and I realized people hate hearing me talk all the time. I also used to interrupt people and everything. All of this was very arrogant, because I basically acted like what I had to say was more important than everyone else's thoughts. But I got it more under control, and now I feel like that's not my biggest issue anymore.

Like damn, when I was younger I was not pleasant to be around. I'd spend so much time correcting people, arguing to death, and interrupting people, because I just wasn't aware enough to realize how bothersome I was. I still sometimes end up putting my two really good friends through it, because I don't control my behavior as much with them. I'm beyond lucky at how good my friends are.
Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Mahonay

Tolerance.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers