what is the apeal to Phineas and Ferb

thesonygamer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

People see this show as one of the better modern cartoons that both kids and adults will love but i dont see why

the show is really repetitive and to formulaic, the characters are unmemorable, the animation is bad and i just didn't find it that funny

to me there are better cartoons out there for all ages (like courage the cowardly dog or invader zim for examples) maybe there's something im missing i dunno

so what is the appeal to Phineas and ferb and what makes it have its older audience?

pacmanlh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Probably because it's something different than Disney's other programming. For adults, I assume they enjoy it because it isn't really dumbed down to a mind numbing extent. A better Disney Channel cartoon is Gravity Falls.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By rjpelonia

People enjoy it. Simple as that. People like the characters, writing, songs, and overall humor. And if you don't, that's fine. You gave it a shot and you don't see the appeal that others do. Doesn't mean you have to.

thesonygamer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People enjoy it. Simple as that. People like the characters, writing, songs, and overall humor. And if you don't, that's fine. You gave it a shot and you don't see the appeal that others do. Doesn't mean you have to.

the songs are actually some of the few things i liked about the show they where catchy and good fun to listen to

and ill admit some of the humor is funny (mainly perry and doofs scenes good they act like a married couple sometimes XD)

but compared to comedy toons like courage,invader zim,regular show,rockos modern life etc they do comedy so much better

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Dixavd

I haven't watched any cartoon (further than maybe Futurama) in many years so I can't speak to Fineas and Ferb now, that said I found the show incredibly well written when it came out - even as I was moving into the second half of my teens. There was a level of subtelty to it. The characters had roles that felt distinct but not limiting. The characters seemed to have rather complex relationships with each other (though at some point it started to feel a bit like in-jokes were being created for the sole purpose of convoluting these relationships - around the time I stopped watched much TV and especially shows like cartoons; so maybe it was result of taste-change in me over the show).

The biggest reason I liked it (though I should say that I never watched it religiously, and only watched maybe half of the episodes over the first two seasons; possibly even less) was the development of the villain*. He seemed nuanced in both a likable and pitiful way. Not just in an "let's make him likable and idiotic so he fails but the viewers don't want him to fail too badly"-way (though that was likely the aimed goal by the writers; but in an "this character is more than a villain, he is a person who's ultimate alignment is blurred"-way.

I also liked the representation of the girl* as reflecting the older-sister mentality of being annoyed by but also protective of her younger brother (it's an obvious and over-used trope, but I thought they did it well).

*I forget all the characters names, including who Phineas and Ferb are - though it shouldn't be taken in the negative as I am notoriously bad with names anyway, including amongst my close friends.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesonygamer12 said:

but compared to comedy toons like courage,invader zim,regular show,rockos modern life etc they do comedy so much better

And that's cool too. Some will agree with you there, some won't; Just as some will agree with you that they too don't like Phineas and Ferb, and some won't. You have your taste just as others have theirs.

thesonygamer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thesonygamer12 said:

And that's cool too. Some will agree with you there, some won't; Just as some will agree with you that they too don't like Phineas and Ferb, and some won't. You have your taste just as others have theirs.

well i guess phineas and ferb just isnt for me

i like cartoons that have unique visual styles (like again courage the cowardly dog) and can make jokes that adults can love just as much as kids

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

There's definitely better stuff elsewhere, but it's a really tight and well made show. Especially for what network it's on.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was thinking about starting a thread very similar to this where I asked why modern cartoons were so shit. I mean I grew up with Batman The Animated Series and Superman, and Spiderman, Hey Arnold and a bunch of other great shows. Now all the shows suck. Phineas and Ferb is actually one of the only shows on right now that is pretty decent for kids, because it doesn't treat kids like idiots and is decently entertaining for older audiences too.

I'm excluding anime when I'm talking about this subject and also Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. While technically western cartoons, they resemble anime and are also fucking awesome.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Animasta

@liquidprince said:

I was thinking about starting a thread very similar to this where I asked why modern cartoons were so shit. I mean I grew up with Batman The Animated Series and Superman, and Spiderman, Hey Arnold and a bunch of other great shows. Now all the shows suck. Phineas and Ferb is actually one of the only shows on right now that is pretty decent for kids, because it doesn't treat kids like idiots and is decently entertaining for older audiences too.

I'm excluding anime when I'm talking about this subject and also Avatar The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. While technically western cartoons, they resemble anime and are also fucking awesome.

Adventure Time and Scooby Doo: Mystery Incoporated absolutely do not suck. Adventure Time is probably the best cartoon ever made, and Mystery Inc shits on all other Scooby Doo shows. Only Zombie Island compares, really, and even that's not as good.

also you are forgetting real terrible shit like Rocket Power, Real Monsters, the 2nd half of Rugrats...

Also, if you liked the superhero shows, might I recommend Young Justice? They just added the first season to netflix, and it was very awesome. It also includes Nolan North as Superboy who talks to Nolan North as Superman, if you're into that

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

When the Disney Channel demands they do a body-switching episode, Phineas & Ferb does a Shawshank Redemption episode instead. This is one of the reasons the show is so awesome.

But if this show does nothing for you, you might want to try Gravity Falls, Disney Channel's other good show. Season 2 should start airing at some point in the next 5-10 years.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Every cartoon that wasn't on when I was a kid or anime is for kids and sucks.

That's a highly reductive way to look at it but I see a lot of 90's kids that hold that opinion.

I think there's a better way to start a conversation than "This is shit! Why do you like this shit?" or "What the fuck is wrong with you people? or "Why is this shit?" That way I don't have to respond with a reductive statement.

djn3811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think the show is fairly well made in general, but when I watch it it's mostly just for the Dr. Doofenschmirtz comedy. That character is pretty hilarious.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I consider myself a PhinFerbro - an adult superfan of the cartoon.

It transcends the medium and has such a strong message with every episode of friendship and wacky activities. I wish people were more tolerant towards the show but he has a triangle nose and people just can't accept that.

Ferb is love, Ferb is life.

thesonygamer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@49th said:

Well I consider myself a PhinFerbro - an adult superfan of the cartoon.

It transcends the medium and has such a strong message with every episode of friendship and wacky activities. I wish people were more tolerant towards the show but he has a triangle nose and people just can't accept that.

Ferb is love, Ferb is life.

oh so its like mlp then XD (except i like mlp for the most part)

Kholto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its wackiness is in a way much more forgivable than a lot of other cartoons, it is all fairly straight forward while also being pretty funny.

I don't watch the show much myself but I am told my grandad watches every episode, often more than once.

thesonygamer12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kholto said:

I think its wackiness is in a way much more forgivable than a lot of other cartoons, it is all fairly straight forward while also being pretty funny.

I don't watch the show much myself but I am told my grandad watches every episode, often more than once.

wackiness in cartoons has been done better (wander over yonder for example)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like this attitude that you can only like one thing. So what if other shows are better?

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Because that platypus is ill as a motherfucker.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LordAndrew

Because that platypus is ill as a motherfucker.

No Caption Provided

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've seen, the show focused more on Perry and the villain than the kids.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By jaycrockett

Man I love Phineas and Ferb. I'm going to have to think about it a bit as to why. Part of it is that I watch it with my kids I'm sure, but I do think it's genuinely good.

I think the musicality of the show is definitely one of it's strengths. Almost every show has a musical number or two.

I think the formulaic nature of the plot works in it's favor, though I can't exactly explain why. It's like they are riffing on the same pattern. Like the couch scene on the Simpsons maybe?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a simple rule we should all follow: Don't worry about why other people like things.

millionthlayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While the episodes generally follow a certain template, there are still clever jokes and references scattered throughout. It's silly, lighthearted and humorous. That's really it. =p You could argue most of my points, but I suppose that's what makes it an opinion.