User Lists: 0

Let’s discuss cool YouTube channels

st_christophr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I’m very much a head for the “film, culture, etc. video essayist” class of channel. Your patrick willems’s, your jacob gellers, your yhara zayd’s, what’s so great about that?, every frame a painting (rip), maggie mae fish.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's still Two Best Friends Play/Super Best Friends Play. Not that I want a reunion since I like what they're doing now, but those old LP's are still fun to go back to.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tasting History with Max Miller (and the excellent side hustle: Ketchup with Max and Jose)

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

In terms of consistency and actually wanting to check in on their videos? I have to say Joel Haver. That guy's humor is almost always in line with mine. Love his animated bits. Haven't given the long form stuff much of a shot but I'm not really there for the serious stuff anyway. His playlist of videos featuring his dad is great and was a wonderful tribute.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I have a variety I try to run through for short videos that I can watch while running on the treadmill. I actually try to change increase speeds after each video...sort of making running a "game" if you will!

Anyway, here's my recent go-tos...

• SwitchUp
  • Gameranx
  • COOLTOY
  • Team Coco
  • How To Hockey
  • History of the Batman
  • 80sCommercial Vault (but for 90s commercials)
gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By gtxforza

My personal favorite non-gaming channel is Doug DeMuro, this guy is well known for making videos of car reviews.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Chapter. Great true crime and conspiracy channel!

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist: I mostly watch content through the website, not youtube. Better quality, direct support and so on.

Favourite youtube channel.. maybe James Hoffmann. British barista, posts great coffee geek content, just my jam.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

All of my various interests have their #1s in their niche (gaming: LGR. Movies: Red Letter Media. Etc., etc.), but all-time favorite? Fuck, that's tough. I might have to give it to Fredrik Knudsen. The guy can make any topic utterly fascinating, everything he uploads is high quality, and most importantly, he actually uses a mic well. So many otherwise quality Youtubers that I can't bear to listen to through the unfiltered mouth noises and bad narration.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a ton of garbage tier true crime stuff on YouTube but JCS Criminal Psychology (Jim Can’t Swim) is fantastic, quality over quantity/frequency for sure but it’s enthralling to me.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By doombot13

Jenny Nicholson, Horse Girl. Does a lot of long videos on various topics. Amusement parks, Bronies, The Vampire Diaries, etc.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Steve1998MREInfo

It's really nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-606548892b4d4
deactivated-606548892b4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many a true nerd, Decoherent, H3 Podcast, Gopher, ContraPoints, Adam Curtis Documentary, Friendlyjordies, SquirrelPlus and Bacon to name a few...

Conalikont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot name any channel as my favorite. I watch a lot. Too much lol

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gtxforza said:

My personal favorite non-gaming channel is Doug DeMuro, this guy is well known for making videos of car reviews.

What about Donut and Hoonagan?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@gtxforza said:

What about Donut and Hoonagan?

Oh, I forgot about these 2, their channel is interesting though.

noreplayvalue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RLM. Love those hack frauds.

Moskelosk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RLM (RedLetterMedia) is the only YouTube channel I follow.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Cool 3D World. Sorry in advance if you look it up.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jenny Nicholson, Horse Girl. Does a lot of long videos on various topics. Amusement parks, Bronies, The Vampire Diaries, etc.

I love Jenny Nicholson. You don't need to have to be a fan of any of those things to enjoy her stuff. It's just very smart, very droll commentary on pop culture. I can listen to her talk about anything.

My favorite channel, though, is Drawfee. It's basically improv comedy in the form of sketching. This one is probably my favorite.

lesblank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lindsay Ellis is probably the best essayist for popular media on the platform. Well researched essays with strong intent beyond "thing good or thing bad" reviews, more like, "thing disappointing; how did we get here?" Only downside is most of the media she covers isn't really stuff I'm that deeply interested in. She makes it all compelling regardless.

GMTK is my go-to as far as videogame thoughts. Contrapoints is also good but I haven't caught up in recent months because philosophy is honestly a bummer and this past year hasn't helped that. Drawfee I've gotten into recently after the implosion of Bon Apetit. I'll also plug Accented Cinema especially if you're into asian film.

Girafro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy an hbomberguy video when they occasionally come out. Also a fan of Super Bunny Hop.

You should check out Summoning Salt if you're interested in speed runs at all. He covers the development of world records and the tricks that changed the way runs are done. He's got plenty of game specific histories so if you're not interested in one you might enjoy another.

Lazy Game Reviews (LGR) is also really cool. He collects a bunch of old tech and computers and shows them off including rare old sound cards. He just did a video where he use rewrite-able tape to play a game on a Windows 95 rig and it was pretty neat.

Finally, Joel Haver is pretty fun if you want to have a laugh. Both his animations and sketches.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A quick list off the top of my head:

RedLetterMedia

Kim Justice

Techmoan

Consolevania

John’s Arcade

RMC - The Cave

Nostalgia Nerd

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OverSimplified

Great funny History videos.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Historia Civilis (best Roman History channel)

Noclip (you should know by now)

Rahdo (board games)

Critical Role (DnD - though I usually listen to the podcast version)

Jimmy Rees (Australian specific humour)

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: Doug is probably the channel I watch the most.

Others include:

Rick Beato

Bilinggirl Chika

Noclip

Digital Foundry

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Music albums

Closer to Truth

Some of Big Think

Crime Pays but Botany Doesn't

Other science discussions and Symposiums that were recorded

Some guy I can't think of, who traces Language groups.

Some Historical programs, discussing early history, Neolithic and afterwards.

Off the wall music discussion (say post punk for example) that comes off as decently legit.

Stuff like this.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

raocow

HerrHeimlich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HerrHeimlich

Recently I've been binging on JoCat with his excellent animations and humor. His take on Monster Hunter and DnD classes is golden. Also Zee Bashew is pretty great.

And if you want to fall into the endless hole known as Warhammer 40k, Bruva Alfabusa is pretty great to enrapture you through its dark humor. While being a parody of Warhammer 40k, I think it does pretty good job laying out the grim dark universe on what you need to know about it.

For the more serious channels, I listen a lot of Renegade Cut and Beau of the Fifth Column for their video essays on current issues or events.

HeelBill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SurrealBeliefs - Mostly uploads let's plays of pc strategy games. His Total War Warhammer 1 and 2 let's plays finally got me over the hump of learning how to play Total War games. Has a good sense of humor and good voice which always helps.

Bruva Alfabusa - If the emperor had a text to speech device is the funniest thing on YouTube assuming you have a decent grasp of 40k lore.

Luetin09 - hands down the best Warhammer 40k lore channel. Videos are meticulously well researched and in depth and the guy has an amazing voice. I replay his vids to fall asleep to sometime.

RKG - This channel is from the former IGN lads who did the popular Prepare To Try series for IGN. They have great chemistry with any content they do.

Tasting History with Max Miller- Food + history is a win win.

No8Axel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noah Caldwell Gervais for gaming. Grimbeard is pretty cool too. Oh and ThorHighHeels. RedLetterMedia for film. Lots of ASMR channels. Defunctland and Yesterworld are great.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mighty car mods.

Darwin on the trail.

Kyle hates hiking

the car passion channel

mostly just cars and hiking these days.

Craig2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OverSimplified

Techmoan

ContraPoints

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BrunoTheThird

Science/Math/Tech: Numberphile, Computerphile, Periodic Videos, Sixty Symbols, Objectivity, DeepSkyVideos, PBS Aeons, Adam Savage's Tested, LGR

History/Logistics: Biographics, Modern History TV, Wendover Productions.

Music/Art: 12Tone, Produce Like a Pro, Point Blank Music Academy, HAINBACH, LOOK MUM NO COMPUTER, Rick Beato, Baumgartner Restoration.

Gaming: Summoning Salt, Cloth Map, Did You Know Gaming

Lighthearted/Comedy: Red Letter Media, Good Mythical Morning, Barnaby Dixon, Buzzfeed Unsolved

Cooking: Glen and Friends (love it when they try to re-create 1880s coca cola, the KFC formula, really old translated recipes from books that are falling apart, etc.)