What platform do you purchase your digital 4k movies from?

StoneyBologna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've purged my physical blu rays but was wondering what the better platforms are for buying digital 4k movies going forward?

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Purchase? What is this word?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely buy movies, but I've rented 4K content on both Amazon and Vudu.

Both work fine. Can't say I've noticed a difference in quality either way, but I tend to stick with Amazon just because it's more convenient.

insomniak08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it comes to 4k I buy all my stuff physically. Not big on streaming 4k since it does not look as good as when it is playing off a disc. However I am interested to see what people say as I would definitely be down to purchase from a quality service that lets me download in 4k

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah for 4K movies I go physical and rip them for my PLEX server. TV shows I go digital and buy them through iTunes because I’m locked in the ecosystem and I use an old version of iTunes to rip the DRM out and move those files to my PLEX server.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By clagnaught

I started to buy movies on iTunes once I got my Apple TV. iTunes does a good job with saying what you’re getting. Such as 1080p / 4K / HDR / Dolby Atmos / iTunes Extras (which can include behind the scenes features, commentaries, and so on). They

I really like the Apple TV in general, so that is part of why I like buying movies from iTunes. But since I also have an iPhone / iPad, being able to download / watch stuff on other devices without having to do anything is an added bonus.

The only other platform I’ve used is Amazon, which is pretty bad at servicing up movies in my opinion.

JamesBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JamesBomb

I don't purchase digital stuff unless it costs next to nothing; if it isn't DRM-Free, I can't guarentee that I'll be able to access it in the future so I value it like a rental. Lawrence of Arabia was (might still be) on sale for $5 on Vudu. That was my most recent purchase. Outside of that, the only digital, 4K movie I've picked up is Midsommar ($7). It really just comes down to where things can be had conveniently for around $5. For me, Vudu has been that platform. I haven't tried Apples solution for 4K streams, but everything else fails to hit a level of image quality that would make me care to compare the solutions.

I don't understand the point of 4K streams. If you want better image quality, why are you streaming? Blurays look better. I've done side-by-sides - not that they are particularly necessary with the amount of obvious compression you get on any given service. Every time, the Bluray is vastly superior in image and sound quality to the 4K stream.

If I want a movie in my library because I know that I'll return to it repeatedly, then I buy physical. If the movie is of value to me for its visuals, I opt for the highest quality format available (4K disc). If it is valuable for some other reason, I opt for the cheapest physical format (usually used Blurays). If I'm paying for disposable entertainment in the first place, it's because it is being featured at a venue like a movie theatre. The venue is more the object of value there; getting out of the house, meeting friends on the weekends - having an excuse to get together.

TL;DR

4K, 1080; what's the difference when you are streaming? If you really need to purchase a digital movie, just buy where things are the cheapest and easiest to access for your available devices. Vudu is cheap, sort of reliable and widely available.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mostly Vudu and iTunes. i’m not against buying on other services thanks to movies anywhere syncing most everything

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@jamesbomb: I do agree that most normal Blu-rays look better than most 4K streams, but if Dolby Vision or some other good HDR implementation is available then a 4K stream can look pretty nice. On Netflix for example it seems that the Dolby Vision stuff gets pushed through at a much higher bitrate than normal 4K content.

I've rented a couple of 4K movies off of the native Xbox/Microsoft Store movies app. The quality is fine. A little bit better than a normal Netflix or YouTube stream but obviously not as good as a UHD Blu-ray.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I don't purchase digital movies. I'll rent them for a few dollars, but I don't want to pay for something that's going to sit on someone else's server. If I wanted a digital movie collection, I'd set up a Plex server.

I also don't watch many movies.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shiftygism

So a few years back when Vudu allowed multiple people to pool their Ultraviolet digital codes into a library I started swapping them, adding to our collection and doing a lot of disc to digital while it was still offered in-store at Walmart because Vudu credit was so incredibly easy to get ahold of not to mention they had a longstanding glitch where you could trick the app into thinking your dvds were blurays thus avoiding an upgrade fee.

Eventually Disney started Movies Anywhere and those sharing options went away as libraries were split into two due to certain studios (most notably Paramount) not siding with the house of mouse as UV eventually died off. Movies Anywhere has thankfully done a better job of doing what UV couldn't in expanding to as many retailers as possible with Playstation being one of the last real holdouts as even DirecTV recently got on board with the ability to have your digital purchases fall into your MA library. Certain retailers Google/YouTube...and I think Apple automatically upgrades all titles into 4K versions if you use their app to watch. So basically any retailer is fine for that particular platform.

For the Paramount UV legacy side of my collection I stuck with Vudu...which Walmart recently sold to Fandango as their own retail service (FandangoNow formerly Flixster) blows, so I imagine it will be safe for as long as the site is, and is probably saving them right now as folks certainly aren't buying movie tickets.

My problem though is, despite having nearly four hundred 4K titles digitally on Google/YouTube, I don't have a 4K television or internet good enough to stream them. Maybe one day.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Shiftygism

Hit up family/friends, pawn shops, and certain sites that trade/sell digital codes (bluray.com, cheapassgamer) then like I said, link Google/Youtube to your MA account and you'll have a sizeable 4K collection for next to nothing.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Have I ever seens 4K content? I doubt it! To watch that content you need a Ultra HD Blu-ray player or fast streaming, and I don't have either of those to waste. Tisn't me, tisn't me, nay nay nay

Loading Video...

MKennedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iTunes for me, But I mostly stick to physical media for my 4k.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could find and buy digital movies that had the same quality of sound and image, then I'd do that, but since I can't, I will continue to do 4k Blu-ray's.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By north6

I'll usually go to blu-ray.com and read the 4k review, if it scores well on quality / physical bluray I'll buy a 4k bluray, if not, whatever is cheapest on Movies Anywhere. Often that is Microsoft.

Ditto to what others have said on regular Bluray > Streaming 4k... but I'm a sucker for HDR.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've rented movies from youtube and amazon, depending where things are available, but when it comes to owning movies i still buy DVD's.
If movies became a thing on Steam i'd probably own them there and make it my all in one entertainment library but that didn't happen.