What podcast apps you using?

Phoenix654

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

I have been using iTunes for far too long as a podcatcher and I have at last reached my breaking point with it; I cannot subscribe to the Giant Bombcast. For some reason, clicking subscribe on any place where it says "subscribe" in the iTunes ecosystem does not allow me to subscribe to a podcast I have listened to for literally a decade now. I know it's a flaming trash pile of a piece of software, but it's always been good enough up until this and I'm just done.

So what do you all use to collect 'casts? I use Apple devices to listen to stuff (music, audiobooks, and podcasts podcasts podcasts) while I work. What are your favorites in that regard?

heavyweather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Overcast here. Great app.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been using Pocket Casts for years now. Love the app on phone and the web app on my PC.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I have been using Podkicker Podcast Player for years, ist a fairly well known and respected podcast organizer for Android. I think they used to have a free and paid version, but now it is just free In fact, I would recommend the free one to take a spin.

Eelvac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Pocket Casts os fantastic. The only problem is they won't just let you make custom playlists.

izzy_izumi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use PodBean, but I'll likely be checking out Podkicker soon, there's some aspects of PodBean I really like, but some are just really poor too.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By imhungry

Been on Podcast Addict for years. It was definitely the best app back then and I have no idea what other apps are like in comparison nowadays but it's still great. I think it's Android only though.

Ironlink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I switched to Podcast Addict "recently" (one or two years ago), and I am very happy with it. I have used it to plow through almost all of Friends at the Table (75% through Partizan at the moment). I appreciate the level of configurability. For FatT, I have specific settings to download in the order that episodes were published, from the start. I keep three episodes on the device, and every time I delete an episode, the app automatically downloads a new one. For most other podcasts, I have it set to do a daily update at 6 AM and just keep the two latest episodes of each podcast on my device.

permanentsigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overcast. I try to support independent developers so I also pay for Premium.

omatictoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overcast here as well.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I use BeyondPod on Android. It has its quirks but mostly happy with it.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another Overcast here, but literally any of the popular podcast apps are better than the default Apple app.

Hub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Overcast is great.

dirtydata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

+1 for Overcast

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do any of these things allow you to download podcasts as mp3s? That's kind of important to me because there are a few situations where I'd like to listen to them but cannot use my phone to do so and need to use an mp3 player instead.

ferratus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Been using overcast for many many years. I also pay for premium. It’s an awesome app, it works flawlessly and you also happen to support an indie developer. Win win!

wasaqat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By wasaqat

Audible i think but that's the worst app I have ever seen.This is nothing new we could always use credit just not but additional credits or use money to buy titles and we still cant

asmo917

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By asmo917

I’ve used Downcast and have been pretty happy with it for many years, but I have a question for those with apps they love like Overcast: does your app allow you to subscribe to a feed, but still somehow selectively filter out episodes by some criteria? In Downcast, I can turn off auto downloads, but would need to remember to go grab episodes i do want manually.

Trying to explain it better, I’d like to auto download, for example, all new episodes in a feed unless they start with a string of characters. Is this a feature any app offers?

Rizz07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rizz07

Since January 2017, I've been using PocketCasts and haven't looked back. There were a few bumps in the road, but overall, I've been pleased with the Software. Most importantly, it syncs between devices almost instantly and is cross-platform, which is a significant benefit for me.

Ohverture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pocketcasts for many years, never looked elsewhere.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use pocketcasts and really like it

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Pocket Casts, works fine, never used anything else.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

iVoox for spanish podcasts. Its functional but not exceptional... Mostly useful because of original content.

Stitcher for international podcasts. It became mostly unusable in one of the UX updates.

TheMaxDaddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use the FOSS ad and tracker free android app AntennaPod. Works with bombcast premium and patron links, which has not been my experience with all apps. Sleep timer, auto download, auto delete etc

thuhang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often use Podbean

theflinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By theflinn

Downcast for years now. Love it.

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I go back and forth between Overcast and Castro. Both are excellent.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Literally just use Spotify. Why would I use anything else?

freemeerkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love using Overcast because it's super user-friendly and has a ton of great features. Plus, the "Smart Speed" function is a game-changer - it automatically shortens silences and speeds up the podcast playback, so I can fit even more podcasts into my day!