What would it take for you to switch phone OS?

• 81 results
mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

I wanted to write what would it take for you to switch from IOS/Android to Android/IOS but it wouldn't fit.

To be honest two things would have to happen. Google would have to completely remove the open and customizable nature of Android and Apple would have to put in a game changing feature into their OS. Something like Star Trek level voice controls. If Siri worked like EDI from Mass Effect 2 were you can ask it a normal question and it respond like an actual person I would jump ship.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

I don't care what the OS is as long as my phone can make phone calls. I'm not going to play games on my phone. I don't need to be able to check my email 30 times a day. If someone needs to get a hold of me that badly then they can call me. I don't live in a huge complex city that would require a map to get around.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kerned

I've been using Android for a several years now, and I like it and I'm familiar with it. I don't know what it would take to get me to switch to iOS or Windows Phone, but it would have to be pretty dramatic. There is nothing about iPhone 5, for example, that made me think about switching. It seems like a nice phone, but just not worth the hassle of having to learn a new mobile OS.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

@mosespippy said:

I don't care what the OS is as long as my phone can make phone calls.

Yup. I got a new Galaxy S3 (for free) and I barely use any of the smartphone features. Previously, I had an old T-Mobile flip-phone and that worked just fine.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By laserbolts

Someone buy me a new phone and I'll switch. I don't use apps or anything just text and check giantbomb and Facebook.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By awesomeusername

A blow job from Hayden Panettiere.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By murisan

Apple would have to stop being complete douchebags with regard to copyright trolling and bullying. I don't see that ever happening though.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By OllyOxenFree

All I really care for is battery life which most phones are weak in that department. That's why I'm just sticking with a cheap-o phone that can make calls and texts just fine and can last for about a week on one charge.

For apps, videos, and music I use my Samsung Galaxy Player which I'm hoping that they would release updated hardware for.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By dagas

The biggest reason for me to stick with iPhone is podcasts. I honestly have no idea how to even get podcasts without using iTunes except for manually downloading them from every site as an MP3 and put it on a device and I am not doing that.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aetheldod

@mosespippy said:

I don't care what the OS is as long as my phone can make phone calls. I'm not going to play games on my phone. I don't need to be able to check my email 30 times a day. If someone needs to get a hold of me that badly then they can call me. I don't live in a huge complex city that would require a map to get around.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inkerman

I like Android because I have the confidence that if I need my phone to do anything out of the ordinary, if there's not an app for it then someone on the internet has hacked it to do what I want and probably provided a handy youtube video to guide me through the process. I've considered both Apple and Windows, but it scares me that I might get into a situation where I want my phone to do something and it just fucking won't.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By iam3green

well i need a newer phone that can do stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I switched from iOS to Android last year. I had an iPhone 3GS, and now I have a Galaxy Nexus. When my contract ended, I looked at all the options I had, and realized that I don't really use my phone for all that much. I use it for texting. I use it as a camera (because it's always on me). I use it as a music player (because the train I use for my commute is *loud*). I check emails with it. I browse the Internet every once in a while on it. I'll check up on my social networks (Facebook/Twitter/Google+) when I'm feeling bored. And that's pretty much it.

I don't play games on it, because when I have only my smartphone on me, there really isn't that much time for me to play a game. And it burns through battery life. And I don't need this massive ecosystem of apps because, lets face it, a lot of them are crap. And of the ones that aren't crap, I really don't use a lot. Yelp is convenient to have, but it's hardly something I use every day.

The real reason I jumped ship was that I was bored with iOS. I had a good feeling of where Apple was taking that platform, and switched to Android because I wanted to see where Google was taking that thing. There was no real reason for me to switch, although I felt I owed it to myself and my profession (software development) to try out the other things out there, and prevent myself from getting this myopic idea that mobile really just meant iPhones.

So when this contract ends in a year, I'll do the same thing, and see what's out there.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ben_H

I already use both Android and iOS so it wouldn't take much either way. I really like iOS on my iPad but my Galaxy Nexus does a fine job too. As long as it can text, take calls, and let me browse the internet I don't really care. The apps I do use are all available on both OSes (Mainly just Flipboard and Dropbox).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

Androids would have to become the "it" fashion phone, and that doesn't seem likely at all.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MeierTheRed

Don't care wether its iOS or Android, if it makes phone calls and send SMS i'm good. Also i rarely even use my phone.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LikeaSsur

As someone who isn't part of the "I don't even use my phones, apps are a waste!" vocal minority, I'd have to say that all my purchases would have to transfer over to Android. I'm not going to buy the same app twice, no matter how great it is.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By hollitz

I'd probably switch to a Windows phone from iOS if I didn't love podcasts so much. I still may. Really don't dig how the updates just make my phone a slow, unresponsive mess.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268

It depends more on the phone than on the OS, I find. If it's one of those shitty laggy android pieces of shit that recognizes swipes as taps I wouldn't buy it. But phones like the Lumia 920 make me want to switch, I just don't see a point in it while my old phone still works just fine though.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

Not much for me, really. I got the iPhone 4s last year because it's easy to use, was pretty much the standard for apps and games, and I don't really care about modding my phone or anything like that. I don't feel the need to change or upgrade my phone at all, I think it's great, but there's one big caveat - iOS 6. That OS is hot garbage. At the same time, Samsung is doing some really great stuff with their Galaxy line. So basically, whichever service looks better to me when I feel I no longer need my current phone.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zelyre

I have an iPad which I use for Sampletank and remote desktop.

I love widgets on a phone too much to ever go to an iPhone.

Microsoft has to show me that they're willing to support a product for more than a year before dropping it like a rock. The Nokia 920 does have some sexy optics, though.

SpecDotSign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpecDotSign

@Kerned said:

I've been using Android for a several years now, and I like it and I'm familiar with it. I don't know what it would take to get me to switch to iOS or Windows Phone, but it would have to be pretty dramatic. There is nothing about iPhone 5, for example, that made me think about switching. It seems like a nice phone, but just not worth the hassle of having to learn a new mobile OS.

It's surprising to find people who aren't at each others necks about which mobile platform is best, etc. It's why time and time again the GB community is the shizz, but then you run into comments like this:

@murisan said:

Apple would have to stop being complete douchebags with regard to copyright trolling and bullying. I don't see that ever happening though.

Good job, guy. How about we go back to trolling on the Gizmodo or Engadget sites?

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By frankfartmouth

I use a jailbroken iPhone 4 right now. I'm not glued to it. I run an ebay store for a living, and I travel a lot, so the only necessity for a phone is that I can check my ebay account anytime, anywhere. Everything else is just gravy. I like to screw around with apps but I don't usually end up using many of them frequently (besides ebay). I'm curious to see if Windows 8 and its promises of mobile/desktop synchronicity hold true. I might switch if they do, but I've heard nothing but negative shit about Windows Phone so far. I like the openness of the Android platform, but a jailbroken iPhone pretty much makes up that ground.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By grilledcheez

I'm switching to the new Windows Phone 8 when it comes out...I have not enjoyed my Android phone and really like what Microsoft is doing with their platform

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#25  Edited By JasonR86

It took the iPhone 4 being free for me to finally get a smart phone so...I guess give me shit for free.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By williamhenry

Price. I don't feel any type of brand loyalty and all smartphones do relatively the same thing.

murisan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By murisan

@SpecDotSign: Not trolling, wtf? Apple is a piece of shit company, bro.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#28  Edited By TechnoSyndrome

Even if Apple opened their OS up to the kind of customization Android has I'd still have no actual incentive to change. I've made purchases on the Android store and none of that stuff would transfer, and Android already does everything I want it to.

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Rohok

If android could run ArmA 2 and other high-quality PC games I'd switch.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By dichemstys

I like iOS too much.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mendelson9

My eventual apps are

If any OS has those, I would totally consider switching.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By handlas

Something new, different and that looks really nice and functions well. And its already done. I went from iOS to Windows 7. Looking forward to Windows 8. iOS just looks dated to me these days. I love my macbook but I'm all MS when its comes to the phone side of thigns and I'm looking forward to switching from iPad to Surface.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeanFoster

I'd have to lose access to all of the apps I've invested money in on iOS.

I'd be more willing to switch if they offered me a gift certificate to use in their App marketplace so i could at least get back to a point of comfortability. I'm really happy with my current setup on my iPhone.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hosstile17

I had an original iPhone and then an iPhone 3G. I chose to go a different direction last year and picked up an HTC Inspire. I didn't last anywhere near a year. I did not like the Android OS and most of the problems associated with the proprietary wrappers put on the phones from their manufacturers. I have since picked up an iPhone 4S and will probably stay put for another year or so.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Pezen

I am so entangled and comfortable in the Apple ecosystem that it would take space magic technology on the other OS or some kind of brain aneurysm on my part for that to happen.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AiurFlux

Apple's entire business model would have to change for me to buy any of their products.

I don't like the fact that everything they put out is completely locked down tighter than a nuns twat. I don't like how they overcharge for their things because it's hip and trendy. I don't like how they're suing company after company for the broadest "patent infringements", making a complete mockery of the legal system in the process with how they're taking advantage of it. But none of that will change and I will continue to hold a glancing disdain towards Apple and the things they peddle. Not that Android is better than iOS mind you. Android is pretty fucking clunky at times. But at this point is more moral principle that causes me to be unwilling to change.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

Very little to be honest. I have a 4s and I love it but after picking up a Nexus 7 I'm just as comfy with Android as I am iOS. If its a good quality phone with a good OS, I'm down. I'd even go for a windows phone when the time comes to pick up a new one.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kidman

iPhone 4 or 5 - I'm done with Android.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Got bored off iOS, so got a WP7 really like it. Even though I had brought heaps of Apps on iOS it probably only added up to like 20 bucks, enjoy the Xbox app seeing whos online and getting achievements on games. I pretty much only use my phone for Calls, Messaging, Maps, Twitter and News and it does all that fine. But people that buy a iPhone every year are a bannanas I just don't get it unless you are extremely rich.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By crusader8463

Owning a phone to begin with so I can switch from one to the other.

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Philantrophy

Only thing that matters is that it is a good phone for a good price, I think that apple products are a little overpriced. I don't use many apps so the whole eco system argument doesn't work on me.

Titl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By Titl

I am an app'o'holic, i'll buy apps because they are 0,99 or w/e. so i think it would take android transferring all my apps to their os for free i guess..

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rollingzeppelin

My next phone will probably be an Android, unless RIM can pull a miracle out of their ass.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Sooty

Android (ICS and up) is a better OS than iOS by far. iOS is pretty dated and does a lot of things backwards. e.g. app settings buried away, notifications are garbage compared to Android.

Still, might go back to iOS so my phone, laptop and iPad are perfectly in sync, but I'm not sure. I'm quite tempted to move up to one of the huge screened phones. Right now I'm waiting out the end of my contract with my Nexus S which has been an absolutely fantastic phone, still smooth to use, great battery life, good call quality.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MideonNViscera

It'd take something mind blowing, because I'm super used to my iPhone now.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CatsAkimbo

I actually just switched from android to IOS this past weekend after using android for 2 years. The tipping point was my android phone crashing more often (or acting weird -- like people not hearing me when i make calls, or wifi not turning on).

There are most definitely some things that I miss now that I'm using an iPhone 5. Most notably customizing things on the homescreen, but even little things are really annoying, like not seeing the date or weather on the lock screen when I'm used to pulling out my phone and seeing the date/time/weather at a glance. I also miss having a back button -- opening the web browser from an app, then having to hit home and relaunch the app to get back to it is just another couple steps that seem to get in the way.

Plus getting support for things is frustrating as hell. I wasn't able to connect the phone to wifi on my router and doing the standard google search came up with a lot of people having the same problem, many of whom said they'd contacted apple but got little help, and a lot of people just saying "gee whiz I hope they fix this in a patch." In general, Apple seems just so opposed to getting feedback on anything and does whatever the fuck they want, even if it means ignoring nice things that android users are used to having.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Icecreamjones

Whoever makes a high end smartphone with a keyboard wins my love. It will never be Apple. Fuck touchscreens, I've been using them for years and they're still not really 'good'

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hitchenson

I've had my phone for like 6 years, it's some beat up old sony ericsson. I really don't give a toss about phones, I just want to be able to ring people/receive calls and send/receive txts.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By colourful_hippie

It took my iPhone 4S shitting itself and conveniently not being covered by the warranty so I said fuck it and bought an unlocked Galaxy Nexus. It's a nice phone despite the low quality screen (higher resolution is nice). As for the OS, I wouldn't settle for anything less than jellybean because it makes the OS run just as smooth as iOS most of the time but I'm definitely going back iOS when the next iPhone comes around. I honestly don't care about customizing my phone all that much. If I had to have an Android device it would probably just be a Nexus 7.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Gonmog

The only answer to this question for everyone should be,

"A better OS for me"