What's a sturdy, reasonably priced mouse with a form similar to the SteelSeries Rival?

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ezekiel

I've had this mouse for two years. The scroller jumps now and it's quite annoying. I opened it up thinking the wheel needed to be cleaned, but it's still giving me the issue. Apparently, it's a problem with how these mice were built.

I also hate the rubber material on the side. Mice shouldn't have rubber pads. This same thing happened to mine:

No Caption Provided

caska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By caska

I just bought a Corsair Harpoon and so far it's doing me really well! I haven't much experience with gaming mice though (I was using the good ol' Logitech MX which I've had for years now until it started playing up). There's no bells and whistles aside from being able to change the DPI on the fly to presets you can configure.

Jovafy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jovafy

I've been using a Turtle Beach Grip 300 for about a year now and I really like it. It doesn't have any of that rubber stuff (I also can't stand the rubber grips on mice). There's no DPI switching on the fly and you can't make any customizations to the colors or stuff like that. You can set the polling rate and DPI with 2 switches at the bottom of the mouse (there's 3 settings for each). There's also 2 thumb buttons and no other fancy stuff.

The only negative thing about the mouse is that the red lights in the scroll wheel and the turtle beach logo tend to stay on even after I switch off the computer. But I have a power switch on my extension cord that I switch to off every night so the lights don't bother me either but could be annoying to someone else. And depending on what you're looking for in a mouse, the lack of on-the-fly-DPI-switching and customization could be a downside.

The Grip 300 is also pretty well priced. I got mine for about 30€.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By PeezMachine

Looks somewhat similar to my MS Sidewinder X8, which I like and is rubber-free! 3 on-fly DPI settings, thumb buttons I really like.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Logitech G403 looks like its similar to the Steel Series Rival. I've never used it myself, but I've owned the G502 and I currently use the G Pro so I can vouch for the quality of Logitech G products. Last time I was at Best Buy they had the G403 on display, so you can test it out there if you want.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@caska: I also came in here to say Corsair Harpoon, although seeing as the OP doesn't care for rubber grippy sides I'll suggest the Steelseries Rival 100. Slightly smaller form factor to a Rival 300 but the sides are textured plastic, not rubber. Great little mouse.

No Caption Provided

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jovafy said:

I've been using a Turtle Beach Grip 300 for about a year now and I really like it. It doesn't have any of that rubber stuff (I also can't stand the rubber grips on mice). There's no DPI switching on the fly and you can't make any customizations to the colors or stuff like that. You can set the polling rate and DPI with 2 switches at the bottom of the mouse (there's 3 settings for each). There's also 2 thumb buttons and no other fancy stuff.

The only negative thing about the mouse is that the red lights in the scroll wheel and the turtle beach logo tend to stay on even after I switch off the computer. But I have a power switch on my extension cord that I switch to off every night so the lights don't bother me either but could be annoying to someone else. And depending on what you're looking for in a mouse, the lack of on-the-fly-DPI-switching and customization could be a downside.

The Grip 300 is also pretty well priced. I got mine for about 30€.

Thanks. I ordered one for 3.33 from a new Amazon seller. Says it's new. It's probably a scam, but it's worth the risk, I think.

@sfw44 said:

The Logitech G403 looks like its similar to the Steel Series Rival. I've never used it myself, but I've owned the G502 and I currently use the G Pro so I can vouch for the quality of Logitech G products. Last time I was at Best Buy they had the G403 on display, so you can test it out there if you want.

The shape seems nice, but it's 6.9 ounces. The Rival is already a little heavy at 4.6 ounces.