• 59 results
Posted by MocBucket62 (2267 posts) 3 months, 6 days ago

Poll: What's better: Cupcakes or Muffins? (322 votes)

Cupcakes 27%
Muffins 53%
I like both equally 15%
Get those sugar/gluten grenades out of my face! 4%
Results 1%

This came to mind after I ate a muffin for dessert last night, so I want to ask which is the superior thin paper wrapped baked good? Do you prefer cupcakes or muffins? Would you rather eat a small cake that's topped with frosting and other sweet ingredients like sprinkles or syrup, or an individual treat without the frosting but might include ingredients like blueberries or chocolate chips inside the baked batter?

#1 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3592 posts) -

I wouldn't eat a muffin for dessert. I'd eat a cupcake (or a few depending on the size) for dessert. Muffins are a snack.

I like both equally.

#2 Posted by RetroMetal (801 posts) -

I can't stand cake or frosting, so out of these choices, Muffins.

Pies are the correct answer though.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
#3 Posted by OpusOfTheMagnum (584 posts) -

Cupcakes can at best be equal to a really good muffin. Often cupcakes are pretty shit when they are store bought. Dry, icing with a bitter aftertaste, etc. Tend to be bland. I've never really had a bad muffin except one that was all hippy dippy and "healthy."

Muffins on the other hand are pretty much always good, even cheap store bought ones.

Muffins are definitely dessert. Maybe you should look at your sugar intake if it needs frosting to be dessert lol.

#4 Posted by blackichigo (403 posts) -

Muffins all the way. I hate foods that are too sweet.

#5 Posted by ShaggE (8854 posts) -

Muffins. Cupcakes can be truly amazing, but more often than not, they're too damn sweet. A warm chocolate chip or blueberry muffin is transcendent when done well.

#6 Posted by Efesell (3495 posts) -

It's easier to get a decent muffin, a good cupcake you gotta make yourself.

Given the best version of both though I choose cupcake.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
#8 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (877 posts) -
Loading Video...

#9 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (7069 posts) -
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

While I don't hate frosting, I have to agree most cupcakes arrrive topped with way to much. I think Hostess has the right idea by covering their small cakes in a chocolate ganache.

I think the ultimate cup cake is always the 'hockey puck' Ring Dig, Big Wheel, King Dongs, King Don (Canada). Second is, of course, the Hostess CupCake with the chocolate topped chocolate cupcake with the white curly cue.

I always peeled off the chocolate covering eat first; and only then eat the naked cake with filling second. The step of the "ritual" are important.

#10 Edited by BabyChooChoo (6927 posts) -

Muffins...by like a billion percent. Cupcakes are almost always shit because there's so many ways to fuck them up including putting too much damn icing on the things. I feel like most of the effort that goes into eating most cupcakes is trying to make sure the icing doesn't fall off. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Give me a muffin any day. Even the most average blueberry muffins will shit all over a good cupcake. See me in the bakery isle, homie.

#11 Posted by notnert427 (2019 posts) -

How is muffins winning this? I've had some good muffins, like the blueberry ones with the giant grains of sugar on them, but I have had some amazing cupcakes. I don't get all the icing hate, either. A red velvet cupcake with cream cheese icing is dope. Doubly so if it's one of the legit places that stuffs the cupcake in the middle. See also: angel food cupcakes, salted caramel cupcakes, white chocolate buttercream cupcakes, etc., etc. Cupcakes are so much more varied and versatile. No contest.

#12 Posted by oldenglishc (1478 posts) -

Cupcakes win by default because the entire concept of a muffin is bullshit. Cake isn't a breakfast food.

"A muffin is just a bald cupcake." - Jim Gaffigan.

#13 Posted by uhtaree (886 posts) -

I wreck two or three muffins out of those grocery store six packs within hours of getting them every time. Blueberry, banana nut, pistachio, apple bran, whatever. Delicious.

#14 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1518 posts) -

Muffin all day long. Need something to wash that shit down with afterwards though.

#15 Posted by gtb08 (382 posts) -

your average muffin is less healthy than your average cupcake, so therefore muffins are better cake and win.

#16 Posted by Efesell (3495 posts) -

Cupcakes win by default because the entire concept of a muffin is bullshit. Cake isn't a breakfast food.

Thoughts like this lead to close to claiming a doughnut can't be a breakfast food and then a fight happens.

#17 Posted by xanadu (1726 posts) -

I prefer muffins but here is a pro tip for cup cakes: Tear off part of the bottom of the cup cake, flip it over, and place it on top of the frosting. Now you got a cupcake sandwich with 100% cake to frosting ratio!

Avatar image for justtakemymoney
#18 Posted by justtakemymoney (50 posts) -

It depends on the time of day. Muffins in the morning/afternoon. Cupcakes in the evening.

#19 Posted by oldenglishc (1478 posts) -

@efesell said:
@oldenglishc said:

Thoughts like this lead to close to claiming a doughnut can't be a breakfast food and then a fight happens.

Donuts are so patently ridiculous they play by their own rules. Deep frying cake takes it to something greater. Something magical.

#20 Edited by Tom_omb (1025 posts) -

You monsters! In what universe is even the worst cupcake better than a muffin? I eat muffins more often, and they can be very good. But one is an indulgent dessert, and the other is your every day snack.

I like when a muffin has a crispy outside and soft inside. But a cupcake drowned in icing is one of the best things on earth.

#21 Posted by Dirty_Harry (720 posts) -

Some people like cupcakes exclusively, while myself, I say there is naught nor ought there be nothing so exalted on the face of god's grey earth as that prince of foods... the muffin!

#22 Posted by Marcsman (3754 posts) -

@tom_omb said:

You monsters! In what universe is even the worst cupcake better than a muffin? I eat muffins more often, and they can be very good. But one is an indulgent dessert, and the other is your every day snack.

I like when a muffin has a crispy outside and soft inside. But a cupcake drowned in icing is one of the best things on earth.

he summed it up perfectly

#23 Posted by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -

I don't really like cake, so muffins win. They also tend to have more flavor that 'ungodly sweet.'

#24 Posted by BaconHound (268 posts) -

It's a little disturbing how many of you were able to pick one or the other. Given a choice, I'll take one of each.

#25 Posted by zordren3742 (4 posts) -

Nothing like a good a good moist muffin, and ticking people off with that word.

#26 Posted by TheFlamingo352 (236 posts) -

Muffins win 90% of the time.

The last 10% is cheesecake cupcakes with raspberry jam.

#27 Edited by NTM (10931 posts) -

It depends on what kind they are, but I said muffins. I'm thinking about the Jiffy ones you can make at home, but also the big muffins at Costco are good too. Also, I never have muffins (or cupcakes for that matter) as dessert. I don't usually have dessert though, so... When I think of cupcake, I generally think of the not-that-great tasting store frosting on top of them, generally used during birthdays. Now, a Hostess CupCake in the box, I'll eat a whole freaking box of those, ha ha.

#28 Posted by Slaegar (876 posts) -

Muffins every time. I'm not some health nut, but cupcakes are just way too sweet for me. The exception might be those Bailey's cupcakes my mother made for a party once that had proper booze in them.

#29 Edited by Tom_omb (1025 posts) -

@ntm: Speaking of Costco, it's worth noting their chocolate chip muffins are neither muffin or cupcake. Each one is just a cake. Also Their cupcakes are the perfect example of no frills, loaded with frosting, perfection.

#30 Posted by clagnaught (1906 posts) -

I am one who throws no shade at cupcakes, but I would say I have enjoyed more muffins in my life than cupcakes.

#31 Edited by Bill_P (304 posts) -

I'd rather eat a run-of-the-mill muffin than a run-of-the-mill cupcake, but I think maybe the highest quality cupcake could be superior to the highest quality muffin. Artisanal cupcakes FTW?

#32 Posted by DarkeyeHails (519 posts) -

I guess I prefer muffins as I eat them more regularly but cupcakes are good empty snack. This is kind of a weird comparison to me because I don't think they serve the same eatological needs. Pardon my getting all scientific and highfalutin at the end there.

#33 Posted by Captain_Insano (3213 posts) -

Muffins are better but they are also not a dessert.

#34 Posted by _Brojangles_ (89 posts) -

I'd take a Chocolate/Chocolate Chip Muffin over any other cupcake.

Hostess Cupcakes are nice though.

#35 Posted by w00master (85 posts) -

Neither. The right answer is pie.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
#36 Posted by hippie_genocide (2308 posts) -

I hate frosting and icing so by default muffins win although I prefer ones that are less sweet like a good poppyseed or banana nut. The question is kind of odd to me, as one is a breakfast food and one is a dessert. It's like asking which do you prefer, a bagel or ice cream?

#37 Posted by Monkeyman04 (2727 posts) -

Are cupcakes muffins and/or are muffins cupcakes?

#38 Posted by mems1224 (2196 posts) -

Cupcakes, easily. There is only one type of muffin that is actually any good.

#39 Posted by schnoo (227 posts) -

Americans eat some crazy shit for breakfast.

#40 Posted by Shindig (4623 posts) -

I screwed my vote up but I stand on the good ship muffin. They're generally bigger.

#41 Edited by billmcneal (1083 posts) -

getting muffins from Costco is a special treat

#42 Posted by isomeri (3007 posts) -

Cupcakes are almost always too sugary and sweet for my taste, but I'll shove a nice muffin in my face any day.

#43 Posted by Sarnecki (1313 posts) -

As others have stated, good cupcakes are amazing, but they're SOOOO often shitty cupcakes. Plus muffins are less aggressively sweet.

Muffins win.

#44 Posted by Slasktotten (79 posts) -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ptoN-5QE0Lw

All there is to say about the subject really

#45 Posted by RetroMetal (801 posts) -

See?

Neither. The right answer is pie.

#46 Posted by stantongrouse (68 posts) -

Growing up in the UK the only notable difference I could suggest between a cupcake and a muffin is a muffin is bigger, and in the rules of sweet treats bigger usually means better. Brought up to understand the subtle differences between sausage types, the intricacies of different breeds of potato, even what cabbage is best for what situation but the definitions dividing cupcake from muffin are lost on me. I swear Morrisons's (a UK supermarket) just use the same mix in both muffin and cupcake, but I could be wrong...

#47 Posted by JoeDangerous (450 posts) -

Muffins since they go well with coffee and are hearty enough for breakfast if need be. Cupcakes are... ok but you have to space out your cupcakes 6 months apart so you don't get them sugar headaches.

#48 Posted by cubidog (36 posts) -

Banana nut muffins are fare better than any cupcake so I would have to go with muffins.

#49 Posted by Dan_CiTi (4934 posts) -

I've never enjoyed cupcakes outside of the really nice ones that have that peanut butter-sort of topping on them. I just don't like that kind of frosting. That being said muffins are always a nice sweet snack once in a blue moon.

#50 Posted by meteora3255 (622 posts) -

I can't stand cake or frosting, so out of these choices, Muffins.

Pies are the correct answer though.

I'm so glad I'm not alone in the Cake vs. Pie debate.