What's more nerdy, video games or comic books (including movies)?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll What's more nerdy, video games or comic books (including movies)? (63 votes)

Video games 16%
Comic books (including movies) 68%
Result 16%

I thought comic books hands down, even including the movies but the West-coast crew didn't seem to think so? What do y'all think?

• 
Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What do you mean with "comic books (including movies)"?
If it's just Video Games VS Comic Books, I think the latter is more nerdy, or can be, generally. Are the movies limited to comic book movies?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@rocketblast0063: I guess you can consider video game movies too but does that make a difference?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Actual comic books are 'nerdier' than video games, but video games are 'nerdier' than the most mainstream movies in current existence.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted comics, but "video games" and "comics/movies" are such broad categories that it's almost meaningless. Depends on the types of video games you're playing. And comic book movies are so mainstream it's a wash.

Now tabletop strategy and RPG gamers... those are the true nerds.

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The vagueness of this question makes it pointless. "Video Games", "Comic Books", and "Nerdy" are so broad it's impossible to compare realistically. My spending probably a 1000 hours+ of my life playing X-COM: UFO Defense is probably nerdier than reading a comics adaptation of Endgame, But the also 1000+ hours I have spent thinking about what makes an Ironman helmet great (its the chin btw) is probably nerdier than running around as Nathan Drake for an hour.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Casepb

I don't think you can lump comic books and movies together. Far more people watch the MCU movies than read the Marvel comics.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup said:

I voted comics, but "video games" and "comics/movies" are such broad categories that it's almost meaningless. Depends on the types of video games you're playing. And comic book movies are so mainstream it's a wash.

Now tabletop strategy and RPG gamers... those are the true nerds.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither, they are both mainstream AF right now.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Question is, indeed, too broad!

Also, what does "nerd" even really mean? OK, yes, I know it has a connotation and such, but can you define it?

To actually answer the question without being belligerent... I dunno. If you play Madden and God of War and Call of Duty and Uncharted, you're probably just some normal old dude. If you'd rather spend time playing Divinity and Pillars of Eternity and Stellaris, you're probably a nerd. But that could also be the exact same dude outside of video games, so I don't know!

Comic books themselves are less mainstream than video games, but if comic book movies count then everyone and their mother has seen a comic book movie in the past twenty years so that category is too broad for comparison as well.

This is a really long winded way of saying that people are more varied than the stereotypes we put them into so this question doesn't have an actual, reasonable answer.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BisonHero  Online

MCU movies are literally the most mainstream, normie action movies in existence right now.

Video games are honestly also pretty mainstream, but it really depends what games a person plays.

Actually reading comics (Marvel, DC, really anything) is incredibly niche and nerdy at this point. Hands down, it is a much more obscure, unusual hobby than video games as a whole at this point.

In closing, lumping the movies in with the comics makes this poll question unanswerable. They’re almost completely independent from each other.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

other: anime

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By FacelessVixen

The real answer is anime, but out of the two, games.

Also inb4animeisforjerks.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics hands down.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I mean Comic Books hands down from me... both great but comic books are a far more niche (nerdy) thing i'd say.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I was thinking about this, and realized that i've seen multiple people on mainstream talkshows talk about the games they play, the movies they watch & the characters they cosplay. I straight up have never heard a guest talk about the comicbooks they've read unless it's the Donald Duck magazine they received as a kid. I barely know where i would be able to buy the latest superhero comicbooks.

I know that the movies are the biggest things out there right now, but what percentage of that audience then goes 'oh man, i love these characters and i need to dive deep into their comicbooks' compared to ' i want to watch a flashy action movie that ties into those other flashy action movies i've seen throughout the years'?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think that these big budget superhero films have little to no relevance to actual comic books as far as mainstream audience goes.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think at a normal consumption there's virtually no difference here, especially now.

I think if you are all the way in one direction or the other then the potential exists to go way deeper with comics.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't see how comic books are winning if we're including Marvel movies. Those things are bigger than Jesus.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Zeik

If we're including casual phone games on the side of video games then comic books are more nerdy, even though almost everyone accepts comic book movies as the norm these days. Basically anyone who owns a smartphone plays games on it at some point.

If we narrowed it down to console video games I'd probably say video games instead.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

In the interest of answering the question as presented, the type of person who can tell you the differences between the comics and the movies--with an emphasis on how things in the movies relate to older comics (Easter eggs and such)--is nerdier than the type of person who watches superhero movies.

The MCU appeals to more people than just "nerds." That's how it keeps breaking its own records.

I think "nerd" or "geek" is a reasonable and commonly understood shorthand for people who have a variety of interests that are likely to be connected and overlapping. The 40-something grognard probably also likes comics, but maybe hasn't touched a video game since the SNES. The person who spends most of their free time playing video games probably watches comic book movies. If you identify as geeky or nerdy, people are going to think that means you like sci-fi, fantasy, video games, board/tabletop games, anime, and comic books. Any combination of these can be true for any given individual.

But I think labeling individual things as more nerdy than other things is silly. I watch every MCU movie with my family. My mom called me just the other day and recommended Bandersnatch, and I watched it with my parents yesterday. My mom loved Captain Marvel so much that she took a friend to see it a second time. She never goes to see movies in the theater a second time. I don't think she would identify as a nerd, though.

That's a lot more words about this than I thought I would write. I just think that when we start asking these questions, we get really close to some awful gatekeeping behavior that I hate seeing.