Avatar image for apparatus_unearth
#1 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3685 posts) -

I'm gonna go with Antichrist. All the time it's just showing you these images but they have no meaning to me.

Avatar image for evo
#2 Posted by EVO (4029 posts) -

I got stoned the other night and tried watching that movie, but I fell asleep halfway through.

Avatar image for nintendoeats
#3 Posted by nintendoeats (6221 posts) -

We started watching a movie once, and the first 5 minutes were 2 guys sitting on a deck talking about Niche. We unilaterally decided that the movie could fuck right off.
 
But I don't remember what it was called.

Avatar image for apparatus_unearth
#4 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3685 posts) -

It's definitely not the best movie ever made.

Avatar image for bwast
#5 Posted by Bwast (1376 posts) -

Inception.

Avatar image for sagalla
#6 Posted by Sagalla (270 posts) -

I'm going to say 8 1/2, by Fellini

Avatar image for gizmo
#7 Posted by Gizmo (5467 posts) -

Bad Boys 2

Avatar image for ventilaator
#8 Posted by Ventilaator (1569 posts) -

Donnie Darko

Avatar image for benjaebe
#9 Posted by benjaebe (2871 posts) -
Into the Wild, probably. I've tried watching it several times and it just immediately turns me off. I'm sure there are more pretentious out there, but that's the one that comes to mind.
Avatar image for xyzygy
#10 Posted by xyzygy (10595 posts) -

The Dark Knight.

Avatar image for colinwright
#11 Posted by ColinWright (754 posts) -
@benjaebe said:
" Into the Wild, probably. I've tried watching it several times and it just immediately turns me off. I'm sure there are more pretentious out there, but that's the one that comes to mind. "
Damn, I loved Into the Wild. But, I would have to say Donnie Darko. Probably more for the niche of people who think it's the greatest thing ever. 
Avatar image for geirr
#12 Posted by geirr (3308 posts) -

Book of Eli.

Avatar image for catarrhal
#13 Posted by Catarrhal (874 posts) -

Another vote for Inception.

Avatar image for enigma777
#14 Edited by Enigma777 (6285 posts) -

Pulp Fiction 
 
Edit: I change it to Lady in the Water just because Shiamallamalan is such a smug bastard in that film.

Avatar image for azteck
#15 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -

I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means.

Avatar image for the_philosopher
#16 Posted by The_Philosopher (634 posts) -

Harry Potter.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
#17 Posted by deactivated-58c3985c661d1 (2120 posts) -
@Azteck said:
" I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means. "
I don't think any of them do.
Avatar image for themangalist
#18 Posted by themangalist (1869 posts) -

The Watchmen. I mean Rorschach is cool and all, but everyone in that movie was just an over-exaggeration of the word "awesome".

Avatar image for cnlmullen
#19 Posted by cnlmullen (910 posts) -

The Idiots (or Idioterne) which is a 1998 danish film about people pretending to have mental problems for some sort of existential reasons. 
  
According to wikipedia: "The 'spassing'is a self-defeating attempt by the group to challenge the establishment through provocation. The self-styled idiots feel that the society-at-large treats their intelligence uncreatively and unchallengingly; thus, they seek the uninhibited self-expression that they imagine a romantic ideal of disability will allow."

Avatar image for apparatus_unearth
#20 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3685 posts) -

Also, The Cure for Insomnia. Fuck that.

Avatar image for sagalla
#21 Posted by Sagalla (270 posts) -
@arab_prince: 
 
I suppose you think you are being clever.  Pretentious means that you are making a dubious, or undeserved, claim for distinction.  Perhaps you are clever enough to know how Fellini came to name his film 8 1/2?? 
Avatar image for colonel_cool
#22 Posted by Colonel_Cool (827 posts) -

Definitely Watchmen. The monologues especially made me cringe inside. It didn't help that the movie was boring as fuck.

Avatar image for hitmanagent47
#23 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8553 posts) -

Inception

Avatar image for milkman
#24 Posted by Milkman (18913 posts) -

People in this thread have no fucking idea what pretentious means.

Avatar image for pinworm45
#25 Posted by Pinworm45 (4069 posts) -

Donnie Darko 
 
actually, anything by that director

Avatar image for warxsnake
#26 Posted by warxsnake (2720 posts) -

Swordfish

Avatar image for ventilaator
#27 Edited by Ventilaator (1569 posts) -
@Milkman said:

" People in this thread have no fucking idea what pretentious means. "

I wouldn't put Inception on this list, but someone needs to tell me why Donnie Darko doesn't fit.
 
When I think pretentious, I think Donnie Darko.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
#28 Posted by deactivated-58c3985c661d1 (2120 posts) -
@Sagalla: Easy there cowboy.
Avatar image for epicsteve
#29 Posted by EpicSteve (6908 posts) -

I'm guess a lot of people don't know what pretentious means considering most of them are saying Inception and Dark Knight.

Avatar image for sagalla
#30 Edited by Sagalla (270 posts) -

He named his film 8 1/2 because, it was the eighth and a half film he had made, and he made mostly it about himself and his supposed genius.. ergo, it was pretentious.. Expect to cop some flack if you lump everyone in with your poorly thought out and dismissive comment, Cowboy!!

Avatar image for ryanwho
#31 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

The Designated Mourner.

Avatar image for hosstile17
#32 Posted by Hosstile17 (819 posts) -

Requiem for a Dream. So far up its own ass.

Avatar image for alexw00d
#33 Posted by AlexW00d (7479 posts) -

Some awful French film about three lesbian teenagers 'learning about love'. The kind of film you would see at some lame ass arty film night shit.

Online
Avatar image for ryanwho
#34 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" People in this thread have no fucking idea what pretentious means. "
Richard Kelly and Nolan both fill their movies with imagery apropos of nothing. Its entirely possible for someone do go "bunny suit huh, so he just wanted to evoke Harvey for no reason at all." There are valid arguments to be made for the pretension there. You liking the movie has nothing to do with whether someone else finds it pretentious, kid.
Avatar image for mordukai
#35 Posted by mordukai (8481 posts) -

Now I know why the Screened.com boards are so empty. Everyone is posting their movie subjects here.  

Avatar image for russcat
#36 Posted by Russcat (160 posts) -
 @arab_prince said: 
"@Azteck said: 
"I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means. "
I don't think any of them do. "

@Azteck said: 
"I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means. "

@Milkman said: 
"People in this thread have no fucking idea what pretentious means. "

Oh you guys... don't be so pretentious :P
Avatar image for audiosnag
#37 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -

Ok I could maybe maybe see someone saying Inception is pretentious, even though personally I think that's a big stretch and pretty stupid to be honest, but I don't understand how The Dark Knight applies. That movie doesn't try to be anything more then what it is, a character driven crime thriller. Not liking a movie doesn't automatically mean it's pretentious. 

Avatar image for privateirontfu
#38 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3858 posts) -

Fight Club.

Avatar image for subjugation
#39 Posted by Subjugation (4963 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" People in this thread have no fucking idea what pretentious means. "
The more I read the more I agree. Dictionary.com people. It saves lives. 
 
It would also help if people would throw out some reasoning behind their choices rather than just choose a popular mainstream movie or cult classic. Then maybe we could understand your backward logic.
Avatar image for azteck
#40 Posted by Azteck (7416 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" I'm guess a lot of people don't know what pretentious means considering most of them are saying Inception and Dark Knight. "
I'd love for the people who listed those to explain why or how they are pretentious.
Avatar image for sagalla
#41 Posted by Sagalla (270 posts) -
@audiosnag: 
 
OK I'll take this one.  Do you remember in the film how Batman gets all these amazing surveillance powers, and how he finally finds the Joker?  Morgan Freeman says this is too much power for any man to have, and he goes to resign.  But Batman is a righteous force for justice, who needs to have all these powers in order to find the bad guy, a terrorist named the Joker.  For me this was an uncomfortable parallel to the business in the US about the Patriot Act and so on.  Trying to make Batman cutting edge by weighing in with a kind of contemporary political commentary could be seen as pretentious.  This might seem like a stretch to some, but this part stood out in particular and rubbed me the wrong way, and I much prefer the original Tim Burton film for this and a few other reasons.
Avatar image for bones8677
#42 Edited by Bones8677 (3490 posts) -

Die Hard is the most pretentious movie I've seen. As well as Back to the Future, and Star Wars. 
 
Wait...what does pretentious mean?

Avatar image for privateirontfu
#43 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3858 posts) -

We all know what pretentious means. People can stop saying we don't.

Avatar image for handsomedead
#44 Posted by HandsomeDead (11853 posts) -
@nintendoeats said:
" We started watching a movie once, and the first 5 minutes were 2 guys sitting on a deck talking about Niche. We unilaterally decided that the movie could fuck right off.  But I don't remember what it was called. "
Also: 
@Azteck said:
" I'm starting to wonder if most of the people in this thread know what pretentious means. "
Avatar image for ezekeilpurger
#45 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (326 posts) -

Any Art House movie ever.

Avatar image for audiosnag
#46 Posted by audiosnag (1604 posts) -
@Sagalla: 
Ok even if that's the case, that was a ten minute section of a 2 1/2 hour movie. It wasn't the central theme. I see what you're getting at regarding that point but I saw that more as Batman doing what had to be done even if it was questionable, but having the moral fortitude to destroy it after he had used it for what he need it for.
Avatar image for purple_proletarius
#47 Posted by Purple_Proletarius (181 posts) -
@weeman105 said:

" @Milkman said:

" People in this thread have no fucking idea what pretentious means. "

The more I read the more I agree. Dictionary.com people. It saves lives.  It would also help if people would throw out some reasoning behind their choices rather than just choose a popular mainstream movie or cult classic. Then maybe we could understand your backward logic. "
Hey look, a shortcut: 
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pretentious
Avatar image for dany
#48 Edited by Dany (8018 posts) -

The American, I am love, and black Swan could be seen as pretentious, sadly they are fuckig wrong on these classics

Avatar image for ezekeilpurger
#49 Posted by Ezekeilpurger (326 posts) -
@Dany said:
 and black Sean
Oh God I'm dying over here hahah.
Avatar image for purple_proletarius
#50 Posted by Purple_Proletarius (181 posts) -
@Sagalla said:
" @audiosnag:   OK I'll take this one.  Do you remember in the film how Batman gets all these amazing surveillance powers, and how he finally finds the Joker?  Morgan Freeman says this is too much power for any man to have, and he goes to resign.  But Batman is a righteous force for justice, who needs to have all these powers in order to find the bad guy, a terrorist named the Joker.  For me this was an uncomfortable parallel to the business in the US about the Patriot Act and so on.  Trying to make Batman cutting edge by weighing in with a kind of contemporary political commentary could be seen as pretentious.  This might seem like a stretch to some, but this part stood out in particular and rubbed me the wrong way, and I much prefer the original Tim Burton film for this and a few other reasons. "
That's still not what pretentious means. A plot point that evokes an unrelated concept in your mind does not make a film pretentious.