• 60 results
Posted by TheFlamingo352 (312 posts) 2 months, 5 days ago

Poll: What's your preferred (American) delivery pizza chain? (393 votes)

Papa John's 15%
Pizza Hut 21%
Dominos 33%
Little Caesars 5%
Other (Put it in the comments) 8%
Show me the results 18%
#1 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7077 posts) -

I'm not picky when it comes to pizza. For me, the shit comes in like two tiers: "good enough" and "holy shit, this is amazing." I eat the latter so rarely because it's either expensive or doesn't deliver to me so, I kinda don't give a shit about it.

Anywho, I voted for Pizza Hut just because it's the one I've eaten from the most and it's always served it's purpose. I fuck with their wings too, but it can be a gamble because it's like 33% of the time you get the tiny ass reject wings that could barely feed a toddler let alone a grown ass adult. Also, every now and then they have some pretty bomb special pizzas with crazy topping combos and crust or some shit. Only downside to Pizza Hut for me is my local one discontinued anchovies and I fucking loooooove anchovies.

The secret top tier pizza though is Costco, but they don't deliver so I guess they don't count for this. Still though, nothing beats getting a big ass XL pizza for like $10.

#2 Posted by mems1224 (2430 posts) -

Out of those 4 pizza hut is the only edible one.

#3 Posted by liquiddragon (3132 posts) -

I use to think Domino's was the worst but now I might think I like it the best out of the chains. Haven't had Papa John's in a while and Pizza Hut is too salty, though I like the stuff crust.

#4 Edited by liquiddragon (3132 posts) -

@babychoochoo: Oh, I think you're talking about Kirkland? That's actually pretty good, I was surprised.

#5 Posted by Mikemcn (8536 posts) -

Dominoes is a facsimiles of a pizza, it’s hard to call it actual pizza, no part of it feels quite right, but i still enjoy it.

#6 Posted by Stonyman65 (3774 posts) -

I'm a pizza snob so I usually only order from smaller local places that meet my standards, but of national chains I'll go with Pizza Hut. Papa Johns is alright, wouldn't touch Domino's or Little Caesars with a 10-foot poll though.

For reference though, I'm a pizza snob who grew up in Central Jersey so I've grown up eating quite possibly some of the best New York Style pizza there is, so unless its up to NJ or NY standards I consider it pretty much trash. That being said, I haven't yet had the chance to try Chicago Style or Detroit Style pizza yet so my opinions on pizza might change in the future, but I assume it is as good as NJ/NY pizza just different. I don't mean to come off as some elitist pretentious foodie asshole but good pizza is near and dear to my heart so I tend to be very opinionated and emotional about it. Side effects of growing up across the street from a pizzeria run by an old guy Italian guy who could barely speak English, I guess....

#7 Posted by xanadu (1975 posts) -

Little Ceasers does not deliver and must thus be disqualified.

#8 Posted by andythemeZ (384 posts) -

Pizza Hut made huge strides like two years ago adding stuffed crust, swirls of balsamic sauces in a spiral over the whole pie, and pretzel crusts, and lots more. Then they got rid of a lot of it and jacked up the price of the rest.

Dominos is king, because of the $8 carry out, tolerable Brooklyn style (not real NYC pizza but it’s own separate okay thing) and loaded with toppings.

Little Caesar’s stuffed crust is great but overpriced. Should be $7 not $9. They had awesome Italian bread sticks a few years ago but dumbed them down to one plain unseasoned kind, jacked the price and no longer give you dipping sauce for free.

Papa John’s was never good. It’s always been slightly larger microwave pizza.

I Love NY take n bake is shite fucking shite. How can they get away with it? How do they do any business? Why would you pay more money... for worse pizza... to do it yourself?

Walmart’s $6 ish take and bakes blow all the tombstone and digirnio crap outta the water if you have the proper stove and 20 minutes time, it’s the way to go.

#9 Edited by frytup (1157 posts) -

Can't support any of those choices, but if regional chains count I'll go with Round Table.

#10 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1593 posts) -

Gotta be pizza hut. Plus their pastas and wings are so fucking good

#11 Posted by berniesbc (247 posts) -

Pizza Hut is very bad, but their thin cracker crust is fine. Of the big, big chains, Dominos is the closest thing to pretty good pizza. It used to be terrible, but they improved it pretty significantly. Papa Johns is bad. The sauce is insanely sweet. Basically never had Little Caesar's, but I would certainly like to. Like any real human being, I usually get pizza from an actual pizza place, but probably once a year I am drunk with friends and we will get Dominos.

#12 Posted by bb4lake (77 posts) -

Of this list Pizza Hut gets my vote. However, I almost always carry out rather than delivery.

Because of that I now almost exclusively go to Papa Murphy’s. You can get a $5 cheese pizza, take it home, and load that bad boy up with pepperonis, onions, bell pepper, whatever you want and eat like a king for cheap.

#13 Posted by nutter (1505 posts) -

@undefined: To be clear, those are all junk pizzas.

Little Caesars, in particular, is some fucking trash.

I haven’t had anything decent from Pizza Hut since I was a kid (and, frankly, didn’t know any better).

I feel like Dominos was Pizza Hut level a few years back, but stepped up their game and is now serving passable chain pizza. I actually enjoy a thin crust pineapple and ham as a decent lowish calorie cheat option.

Papa Johns has been consistently kinda-okay wherever I’ve lived for the past 20 years, which puts them at the top of the country-wide chain pizza list for me.

That said, I could throw a dart at a map of my town and order from the nearest mom and pop pizza joint and it’d be world better than this chain stuff.

#14 Posted by nutter (1505 posts) -

@berniesbc: Little Caesars....experince the world, man. Get the worst pizza you’ve ever had, including school and hospital cafeterias.

I want to say DON’T. GET. LITTLE. CAESARS. EVER., but you should probably carry it out once.

I got a cheese pizza (kids wanted cheese) and some breadsticks. No one finished a slice or a breadstick (this includes 4 and 6 year olds). We tossed it out and got a local pizza.

#15 Posted by BBAlpert (2864 posts) -

Marco's is pretty good, if you have one in your area. I thought it was more of a local chain, but apparently they have locations all over the country.

#16 Edited by Humanity (18156 posts) -

Out of those choices I like Pizza Hut the most but I only ever eat AT a Pizza Hut - never once had it delivered.

For Delivery though I guess Dominos. Not sure what people mean in comments above that it's a facsimile of a pizza. As far as trashy fast food pizza goes it gets it right, crust, sauce and cheese. Papa Johns I've had several instances where it felt like the crust was still uncooked in places and it just tasted weird at times, not a huge fan. There were no Little Ceasars in my area so can't comment.

As far as local pizza shops in my area (New York Queens) there were surprisingly a ton of AWFUL ones where I would choose Dominos over them any day of the week. Pizza that was so oily and greasy that the box was soaked through by the time you got home and the slices felt like grease traps. Maybe that was the local flavor because several privately run pizza shops in the area served similarly dreadful pies, but boy it was gross.

#17 Posted by Bane (855 posts) -

Hungry Howies is the best, no question. Cottage Inn makes a good pie, too.

#18 Edited by ghost_cat (2198 posts) -

Dominos. As long as you're getting thin crust or Brooklyn style, everything is gravy and consistent. I would also like to take this time to trash talk Papa Johns: the sauce is always gross, crust sucks, and their season packets is just mostly salt. Give me Little Ceasers any day over Pap Johns.

A good pizza tip: if you have local chain grocery stores nearby, check their frozen pizza selection. I have one that carries some amazing pies for the price comparable to the big chains.

#19 Edited by NTM (11462 posts) -

They're all fine by me. That said, Little Ceaser's is sometimes very good and sometimes the worst perhaps. I like it when you get it freshly cooked, it's great, but more often than not they give you a pizza that has already been made so it neither looks good and tastes somewhat cold. I really can't tell a difference between Dominos and Pizza Hut, but that's probably because we don't really go to any of these places too often. We often make our own, or (and much less recently) go to Papa Murphy's.

#20 Posted by burncoat (515 posts) -

Domino's crust has the texture and flavor of cardboard. It's the worst pizza crust I've ever had. Sucks all the flavor right out the rest of the pizza it's that bad.

#21 Posted by nutter (1505 posts) -

@humanity: The facsimile of pizza comments are saying that chain pizza isn’t real pizza; rather something like it.

When you look at the weird texture of the cheese, the sometimes spongy crust, and the often questionable topping quality of most chain places, it doesn’t compare to a great pizza place. I find the sauce on most chain pizzas fine enough, but that’s an area where a great pizza restaurant will often excel anyhow.

Personally, I’m in a great pizza town and I’m local enough to New Haven, Brooklyn, Boston, and Providence, which are pretty much your go-to spots east of Chicago. I’m assuming pizza snobs live in good pizza towns and can afford to be.

It BLOWS MY MIND when they talk about how great some of these chain pizza places are on the Bombcast. On the Beastcast, however, in NYC, Vinny, Alex, and Jeff rightly crap on Dominos.

I can eat a junk pizza from time to time (had a Dominos pineapple and ham thin crust with the kids this week when we were too busy for much else). I might enjoy it for what it is. But it’s still not the same as a solid local pizza.

#22 Posted by Bill_McNeal (797 posts) -
#23 Posted by ajamafalous (13792 posts) -

Pizza Hut made huge strides like two years ago adding stuffed crust, swirls of balsamic sauces in a spiral over the whole pie, and pretzel crusts, and lots more. Then they got rid of a lot of it and jacked up the price of the rest.

Dominos is king, because of the $8 carry out, tolerable Brooklyn style (not real NYC pizza but it’s own separate okay thing) and loaded with toppings.

Little Caesar’s stuffed crust is great but overpriced. Should be $7 not $9. They had awesome Italian bread sticks a few years ago but dumbed them down to one plain unseasoned kind, jacked the price and no longer give you dipping sauce for free.

Papa John’s was never good. It’s always been slightly larger microwave pizza.

I Love NY take n bake is shite fucking shite. How can they get away with it? How do they do any business? Why would you pay more money... for worse pizza... to do it yourself?

Walmart’s $6 ish take and bakes blow all the tombstone and digirnio crap outta the water if you have the proper stove and 20 minutes time, it’s the way to go.

Where do you live that Pizza Hut added stuffed crust 'like two years ago?' I've been getting stuffed crust pizzas from Pizza Hut since the 90s.

Loading Video...

#24 Posted by Humanity (18156 posts) -

@nutter: I don't want to get into a silly diatribe of semantics, over pizza least of all, but it's not "something like it" chain food pizza for all intents and purposes IS pizza, just not the standard you prefer it to be. Not to be a jerk or anything but it is quite a snobby thing to say that chain pies aren't pizza and personally it tends to drive me up the wall when I hear people talk that way. Listen, I'm right there with you, a well made pizza in a great restaurant is worlds apart from what you get at Dominos or whatnot. That said pizza is pizza. Even that trash $1 pizza near Port Authority is pizza to me - you simply get what you pay for. I love a great burger from a grill with fresh topings and a nice bun, but I'm not gonna sit around and tell people that Burger King doesn't serve burgers. They're real burgers, just not very good ones (and after years of not eating at a fast food burger joint I recently had the pleasure of dining at a Burger King and even the whopper is very distant from what you get at an actual burger joint with grills and fresh meat).

But like I said, semantics and all, I understand where you're coming from I just never liked that type of talk. I used to work with someone that was a huge coffee snob, and likewise I do love a great espresso from a real coffee machine, from freshly ground beans.. but I'm also gonna get that Dunkin Donuts coffee when I'm in a hurry cause hey, whatever.

#25 Edited by wjb (2136 posts) -

A Jet's is within walking distance from my place, so I tend to go there often.

Of the ones listed, Dominos definitely. I haven't had Little Caesers in years, but I'd be up to try it again.

#26 Posted by Casepb (502 posts) -

I liked Pizza Hut for the longest time, I guess mainly when I was younger. It's just so damn salty now I can't handle it anymore. I usually go with Papa John's because the ingredients taste slightly more real.

#27 Posted by oldenglishc (1533 posts) -

I'm a Detroit style fan, so Jets and Little Ceasers are pretty much the only choices as far as franchise pizza goes. Ceasers' deep dish is surprisingly decent for 8 bucks.

#28 Posted by pweidman (2810 posts) -

I order from Pizza Guys once a week. Very good pizza, great wings, and awesome salads...and they deliver. Not sure the extent of the locations of their franchises, although there are quite a few here in northern Cali.

#29 Posted by BaneFireLord (3540 posts) -

I like Pizza Hut and Dominos equally. I'll eat Papa Johns if it's put in front of me, but I won't order it of my own accord. Don't think I've ever tried Little Caesars and I don't intend to.

#30 Posted by bybeach (6308 posts) -

@humanity: When I was married, I spent some weeks in Bayonne, across the river from NYC. My first experience with pizza there was exactly as you described. Maybe because of my in-laws preference, but all I saw delivered was cheese or pepperoni pizza. it was so damned greasy it left a circular portion of the box underneath soaked. Thin and seemingly unremarkable, I grew to love it over the time I was there. Something mythological or not about the water used, Idk? But then I really kind of liked Bayonne, very regional...

I would never get Dominos or Little Caesars normally. Tried Dominos once, not impressed. YEARS back, used to get Little Caesar's because we didn't have money.

I use local chains myself.

#31 Posted by Shiftygism (693 posts) -

The last hot and ready Little Caeser's pizza I had was surprisingly really fucking good to the point I wondered if they screwed up my order, it tasted more like their pan pizza than the dry cheap shit they normally serve up. Also, while it was way too salty, I really enjoyed the cheap cheddar sauce pretzel pizza they had for awhile there.

#32 Edited by _Brojangles_ (116 posts) -

As far as National chains go, Dominos.

Hungry Howies and Jet's Pizza are both really good mid west region chains though and are better than the big 4 chains.

Maybe the Pizza Huts in my area have gone to shit, but I haven't enjoyed Pizza Hut since the 90's.

Little Caesers has a niche but it's always my last choice aside from Pizza Hut.

I've never seen a Papa John's in my area.

#33 Posted by Marcsman (3815 posts) -

None. All those places suck. I live outside of Philadelphia. If you want good pizza you have to go get it. None of the good places deliver, because they don't have to.

#34 Posted by Humanity (18156 posts) -

@bybeach: Bless your heart, my parents really loved that style of pizza but I could never get into it. The grease also made it nearly un-edible the next day.

#35 Posted by ltcolumbo (116 posts) -

Jet’s Pizza by a wide margin, followed by Marco’s. All the ones listed are barely one step above frozen pizza. In some cases, I’d rather have the frozen pizza.

What’s sad is that in the 1980’s, Little Caesar’s was effing awesome, and you got two of them for the price of one.

#36 Posted by cubidog (83 posts) -

As somebody who's favorite food is pizza, but unfortunately doesn't live in a place with good NYC style pizza, I I feel like an authority on this subject. Pizza Hut is slightly better than Domino's to me, and they have good deals if you make an account for them. I never order from Papa John's, but from the few times I've had it over years at parties, it was fine. Little Caesar's doesn't deliver and is also pretty bad to me, but I also have eaten so much of it in my life that I can't stand it. My dad brings it home every Friday and I won't even eat it at this point.

#37 Posted by Hamst3r (5463 posts) -

While I am fully capable of discerning the flavor and textural differences between these pizzas, I do not hold one of them in higher regard than the others. They're all totally fine and I will happily eat any of these pizzas when available.

#38 Edited by John1912 (2503 posts) -

I think the brand name chains near me all use downgraded ingredients. I used to like Papa Johns alot, but one near me went down hill, cheese got cheaper, crust thinner, and grease stains under the crust because it was so thin. I find a lot of places do that. Ill order from them for a while, then the quality tanks like 3-6 months later. Assumed maybe the chain just got worse, but had Dominos at friends long time ago, and it was actually good compared to the one by me. So I assume there is a sliding scale they can order from on quality.

I really only order from local chain called Pizzaman. That or pick one up from Papa Murphys which is always top notch!

#39 Posted by TheKramer89 (552 posts) -

Papa John’s is the only one up there that I’d consider a proper pizza. I haven’t eaten Pizza Hut since my entire family got food poisoning when I was about 4. Domino’s is kind of the McDonald’s of pizza, so I don’t consider it pizza, it’s just “Domino’s”. Little caesar’s is a steal, but if dominos is McDonalds, Caesars is Taco Bell.

I’ll eat anything during a football game though...

#40 Posted by meteora3255 (677 posts) -

I say Pizza Hut, but the locations in my area are franchised and as such do things differently. For example no frozen dough, newly made sauce (using the mix) daily and fresh sliced vegetables and pepperoni. I worked there years ago in high school and wondered why opening shifts started at 6am but when you have to make all the dough for the day, and let it sit to set up for pan pizza, it made a lot more sense.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
#41 Posted by citizencoffeecake (1521 posts) -

Local chain called Mazzio’s is my go to. They stopped carrying anchovies (probably because I was the only one ordering them) and it broke my heart.

#42 Posted by MerxWorx01 (740 posts) -

All pizza is good pizza. Like some friends, a pizza chain may disappoint you or even let you down but even at the worse times warm subpar cheese and average-ish pepperonis on a so-so crust can sometimes be enough to turn one's spirits.

#43 Posted by ZombiePie (7307 posts) -

Little Caesar’s is one of the best fast-food pizzas on the market.

#44 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2917 posts) -

Papa John's easily

#45 Edited by Tunnelman (39 posts) -

For those who enjoy the trash pizza that Dominos peddles, like me, there is an excellent Dollop episode about their history. http://thedollop.libsyn.com/188-the-dominos-pizza-story

#47 Posted by DocHaus (2712 posts) -

A local-ish chain called Paisano's, if you must know. Thankfully I live close enough to various indie pizza places I'm not really hurting for pizza.

#48 Posted by John1912 (2503 posts) -

For those who enjoy the trash pizza that Dominos peddles, like me, there is an excellent Dollop episode about their history. http://thedollop.libsyn.com/188-the-dominos-pizza-story

@tunnelman said:

For those who enjoy the trash pizza that Dominos peddles there is an excellent Dollop episode about their history. http://thedollop.libsyn.com/188-the-dominos-pizza-story

Its so sad they are kinda trash now. LOVED that shit as a kid. Knew the number by heart. It was good in the 80s! Fuck Im old.

Little Caesar’s is one of the best fast-food pizzas on the market.

Not by my place. Loved it as a kid. Pizza was awful, bread sticks were the only thing the same, but they even watered down the dipping sauce. And that was when it first opened. Went back a few times for sticks, but meh. Complete waste of money for the one near me.

#49 Posted by Blackout62 (2182 posts) -

I am so ride or die on Pizza Factory and have been ever since they were still Danny's Pizzeria in Oakhurst.

#50 Posted by poobumbutt (936 posts) -

@babychoochoo: Same here on the pizza quality opinion.

I can't remember where I first heard the adage "shitty pizza is still pizza, and that means it's still good" but it's the reason I eat Little Caesar's. 'Cause where I am, it's the one that satisfies all the conditions of 1. relatively cheap; 2. relatively close for delivery; 3. relatively edible - which is good enough.