When/Why Did It Become Cool To Be A Hipster?

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soulfulsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soulfulsoul

I just don't understand it. I usually have no trouble getting along with people, but I would have to say if there is one group of people I don't like it is hipsters. Maybe I don't understand the group, but it seems everything about them is fake. They wear ridiculous clothes just to look silly or unique, listen to music just because it is popular and new, and have horrific attitudes that are incredibly selfish. It seems like they are trying so hard to be a part of the group. When did trying to fit into such an awful stereotype become so popular? I am sure some are decent people, but why would they want to be a part of a group like this?! It seems to have just been in the last 4 years or so. Unfortunately theree are a ton in the city I'm from.

Edit:

I myself don't really know what exactly defines a hipster. I only began hearing it used in the last few years. All I know is that there is suddenly a group of really obnoxious people who dress in silly clothing, utilizing similar elements (neon / tight pants / big black glasses, outrageous hairstles) each trying to look more ridiculous than the other. Some listen to music they don't even like, but listen to it because it makes tham appear original or cool. No other social group (or even individuals) I have come across prior to the last five years have behaved or acted like this. Where did they come from?

If my post has offended you, or made you feel judged, I am sorry. That is not the intent of my post. I am just curious about why or how this huge and incredibly popular social movement developed?! Maybe it's not that big in your city or town, but in mine, it seems to be one of the most dominant groups.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By zombie2011

Why does it bother you so much? It seems like you spend a lot of time thinking about a group of people.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Not all hipsters are bad. The dirty, hairy ones are the only ones I hate. The old fashioned ones are pretty awesome if I may say so.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4  Edited By JasonR86

I don't think it is or ever was but maybe I'm a bad judge.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

I don't know. People can enjoy/hate whatever hey want (unless it's illegal of course) and dress however they want, as long as they don't try to force it down my throat I don't really have a problem.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Benny

I thought the idea was that they try so hard to NOT be part of the group that they inadvertently all gravitated towards the exact same bands, interests, clothes & attitudes, thus forming their own 'Hipster' culture. I don't think they themselves set out to be 'hipsters' or self identify with that term as such but I'd guess this 'Hipster' culture must consist of a lot of people with this specific personality type that you generally dislike or at least attracts this type of person.

And I'm with ya, they're almost the biggest hypocrites going.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By WMWA

i think a lot of people would classify me as a hipster. but im a generally nice guy and i'm actually enthusiastic and positive about most things in life. so i'm probably not what you mean, anyway

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nintendoeats

I have to admit, it bothers me that I can't find a decent fedora that is both classy and doesn't make me look like one of the aforementioned. However, I have the advantage of the ability to ignore them.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AlexW00d

What? A hipster is someone who does stuff to seem cool. So, forever?

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By raviolisumo

If anything I've found the hipster hate more annoying. It's now impossible to have opinions that don't agree with others without being labeled a "hipster". I love Majoras Mask. It's my favorite Zelda game. I've held that opinion since Majora came out. Every time I say it now people think I'm just being a hipster. Not everyone that has different opinions is a hipster.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Vinny_Says

Ironic how people who try to be original, unique and individualistic end up all looking and acting the same.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#12  Edited By pyromagnestir

I thought the whole point of being a hipster was to listen to music before it gets popular, then claim it was no longer good once it becomes popular?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By thatfrood

Is there a more bruised and beaten punching bag than hipsters? I'm getting tired of hearing that word trotted out everywhere.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JasonR86

@ThatFrood said:

Is there a more bruised and beaten punching bag than hipsters?

Jews, African Americans, Native Americans, Women.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Toxeia

@ThatFrood said:

Is there a more bruised and beaten punching bag than hipsters? I'm getting tired of hearing that word trotted out everywhere.

I'll refer you to people of the jewish faith over the last... I don't know, three thousand years?

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Not all hipsters are bad. The dirty, hairy ones are the only ones I hate. The old fashioned ones are pretty awesome if I may say so.

The dirty, hairy ones are just "hippies" aren't they?

Hipsters are fine alone - maybe even charming. But when they're in a group they create this weird sludge that acts like a grout or cement and they bind together. That's when they're bad.

cexantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cexantus

@JasonR86: Nice.

Also, people do realize that hipsters have been around since the 60s, right? This isn't some kind of new phenomenon that just recently happened.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zeforgotten
@JasonR86 said:

@ThatFrood said:

Dead horses
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By raviolisumo

@pyromagnestir said:

I thought the whole point of being a hipster was to listen to music before it gets popular, then claim it was no longer good once it becomes popular?

It's grown into the hivemind thought that it's anyone that does things to be different.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By JasonR86

@ZeForgotten said:

@JasonR86 said:

@ThatFrood said:

Dead horses

Black Dead Horses.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By thatfrood

@JasonR86 said:

@ThatFrood said:

I'm sure you knew what I meant and just felt like being smug, but to clarify: people complain about hipsters almost as if it were a hobby. And it gets old.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raviolisumo

@ThatFrood: It really does get old. I wonder how many people that complain about hipsters have actually met any before.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JasonR86

@ThatFrood said:

@JasonR86 said:

@ThatFrood said:

I'm sure you knew what I meant and just felt like being smug, but to clarify: people complain about hipsters almost as if it were a hobby. And it gets old.

I also just wanted to be a smart-ass. That's my number one priority in life.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

Perhaps it's a symptom of this age of cynicism in which we find ourselves?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Wes899 said:

If anything I've found the hipster hate more annoying. It's now impossible to have opinions that don't agree with others without being labeled a "hipster". I love Majoras Mask. It's my favorite Zelda game. I've held that opinion since Majora came out. Every time I say it now people think I'm just being a hipster. Not everyone that has different opinions is a hipster.

Yup. I typically listen to indie/alternative music, simply because it's the style I happen to like most of the time and I often get "you hipster" comments. It's pretty ridiculous these days.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AngelN7

Fedoras and Lens-less glasses.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By DeathByWaffle

@AngelN7: SO MANY FEDORAS

soulfulsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By soulfulsoul

@zombie2011:

I don't think about it that much. I just find it very unpleasant to interact with a lot of Hipsters. I think wanting to be unique and your own person is a great thing. But it seems to somehow have been transformed into something negative. The vast majority of people I grew up with were really nice and down to earth. I just don't understand why or how all of these incredibly obnoxious attitudes developed.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Toxeia said:

@ThatFrood said:

I'll refer you to people of the jewish faith over the last... I don't know, three thousand years?

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

The dirty, hairy ones are just "hippies" aren't they?

Hipsters are fine alone - maybe even charming. But when they're in a group they create this weird sludge that acts like a grout or cement and they bind together. That's when they're bad.

No bro... Hippies have a purpose.

THESE PEOPLE ARE TERRIBLE.

Brother_PipPop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brother_PipPop

You sir, have yery limited views and might possibly be a dolt.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This hipster stuff isn't really a thing in the UK, but what I've seen of the anti-hipster stuff from the U.S. has been pretty annoying and a little bit hysterical. If someone thinks they're better than other people for listening to newer music then yeah, that's pretty douchey, and if people are trying to be unique by conforming well then yeah, they're doing it wrong, but this whole thing seems very silly. We all conform to certain cultural standards, "hipsters" appear to be just another sub-culture, and if you think you can judge everything about a person from the way they dress or the music they listen to then you're probably just as deluded and just as much of an asshole as any "hipster" out there.

Even if you're just annoyed by the way they dress, their mannerisms, the way they talk, or what they listen to, why does it matter so much to you? The people who seem to be the most annoyed by specific sub-cultures and consider themselves qualified to most make judgements on them, are the ones who proudly express how detached they are from the sub-culture themselves. This obsession with judging people by their clothes and musical taste is the kind of thing 14 year old girls are all about, I thought we would be past that kind of thing by now. As long as someone is not hurting anyone else with what they're doing, live and let live, you're going to have a much more stress-free time in life if you do.

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Shindiggah

Idk, I'm often considered a hipster with my fashion and music choices. You like what you like, just because my interest happen to be off the cusp of what some others enjoy should have nothing to do with what kind of a person I am.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MikeGosot
Well, not all hipsters are bad. And they can do whatever they want, as long as they don't bother me. Also, i hate being labeled a "hipster" just because i have a different opinion.  Yes, i think Red Dead Revolver is more fun than Red Dead Redemption, i'm not a fucking hipster.

@Video_Game_King said:

So i assume there are hipsters in the Moon.
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#33  Edited By musubi

I was a hipster before it was cool to be a hipster.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AlexanderSheen

So, hipsters are the new emos? Or emos still around? I'm not sure.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By icicle7x3
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By zeforgotten
@AlexanderSheen said:

So, hipsters are the new emos? Or emos still around? I'm not sure.

I thought "Emo" was a music genre.  
So we can't even come up with original names to call people anymore? how lame
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JasonR86

@MikeGosot said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Space hipsters would be the worst!

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#38  Edited By jeff

This is like asking "When/Why Did It Become Cool To Be Interested In Current Fashion And Music Trends?"

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MikeGosot
@JasonR86 said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Space hipsters would be the worst!

So Video Game King is actually Space Hipster King! *le gasp*

@Jeff said:

This is like asking "When/Why Did It Become Cool To Be Interested In Current Fashion And Music Trends?"

So, if you're interested in current fashion and music trends, you're a hipster?
Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40  Edited By Giantstalker

I find it very hard to associate with hipsters, but they've never caused me problems of any kind.

To be honest I barely know what a hipster even is, for how often the word gets thrown around these days. I suppose I don't even really care.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By raviolisumo

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Wes899 said:

Yup. I typically listen to indie/alternative music, simply because it's the style I happen to like most of the time and I often get "you hipster" comments. It's pretty ridiculous these days.

Same here. I've gone to indie rock and indie hiphop shows for years. Now my friends always ask "How was your hipster show?".

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#42  Edited By mesoian

@soulfulsoul said:

I just don't understand it. I usually have no trouble getting along with people, but I would have to say if there is one group of people I don't like it is hipsters. Maybe I don't understand the group, but it seems everything about them is fake. They wear ridiculous clothes just to look silly or unique, listen to music just because it is popular and new, and have horrific attitudes that are incredibly selfish. It seems like they are trying so hard to be a part of the group. When did trying to fit into such an awful stereotype become so popular? I am sure some are decent people, but why would they want to be a part of a group like this?! It seems to have just been in the last 4 years or so. Unfortunately theree are a ton in the city I'm from.

Protip: It's always been this way.

Hipsters now are the bubblegum ravers from the early aughts, who were the thuggish ruggish boners in the mid 90's, who were the flannel rockheads in the early 90's, who were the lucky star angels in the mid 80's, who were the funky disco kings of the late 70's.

They do it because everyone else is doing it and it's often easier to go with the flow of the crowd then stand out yourself. The fashion industry has made billions based off this one simple concept. Hell, look at pop music today. The grand majority of it doesn't even have people trying to sing. They recite in monotone and then either have people autotune it in post or call it "rap talking".

In 5 years, people will remember hipsters as being just another fad, and it will be replaced by something you dislike equally as much.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mesoian

@ThatFrood said:

@JasonR86 said:

@ThatFrood said:

Because it is a hobby. It's a completely safe, non-racist, non-sexist, non-political entity that people can place their aggression atop of and not be made into social pariahs. People have been doing this since the dawn of creation. Making fun of other people because of what they're wearing, what they listen to, how they talk, where they go, what they do, it's basic human nature.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By WickedCestus

The funniest part about hipsters is that they never realize they are hipsters. I don't mind the fact that they are hipsters but I find it hilarious when they try to deny it.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By chrissedoff

Because the word "hipster" is a pejorative people use against anyone they think are cooler than they are

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Yeah, as you finally start caring about and pursuing a social life, you begin to lose interest in sitting behind your computer typing away about what other human beings dress and behave like. 
I've simply lost interest in criticizing or talking trash or even discussing an X group of people, just focus on your life dude.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BraveToaster

It's only funny when Anthony Bourdain makes fun of Hipsters. The way he acts whenever he sees them is hilarious.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@supermike6 said:

The funniest part about hipsters is that they never realize they are hipsters. I don't mind the fact that they are hipsters but I find it hilarious when they try to deny it.

At this point I'm not even sure if I'm a hipster or not. It's like Binary Domain but with hipsters.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By thedj93

defiance will always seem cool, i think

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mesoian

@chrissedoff said:

Because the word "hipster" is a pejorative people use against anyone they think are cooler than they are

Or a pejorative against people who they think perceive themselves as being cooler than they are.